Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
TomC

Default looking for a tree service

to remove one medium-sized tree from my property in Moultonboro. its nearly dead but close to the shore-front so there may be state/town permitting to deal with. I'm 0-for-2 on call backs from the first two places i called... thanks for any recommendations
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
to remove one medium-sized tree from my property in Moultonboro. its nearly dead but close to the shore-front so there may be state/town permitting to deal with. I'm 0-for-2 on call backs from the first two places i called... thanks for any recommendations
hello call Neil Dearborn dba Tree Surgeons he is in Moultonborough he is also a certified arborist. he takes care of my tree issues for my customers.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Thread from last year:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...t=tree+removal
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
DickR

As far as permitting goes, you don't need a permit from the state to cut trees within the protected shoreline, but you do need to adhere to the provisions of the shoreline protection rules of the state. That means having to maintain a tree "point total" within the 50 foot buffer strip back from the water. Each 50 foot width of that strip has to have at least 50 points worth of trees left. If that tree is diseased, it can be taken anyway. The rules you have to follow can be found on the state's website, but it's a lengthy document.

However, the burden is on you to document what you do, in the form of photos and tree maps, in case the state later wants to challenge you on what you did. In the case of a diseased tree, you may need a statement from an arborist attesting to that fact and the need for its removal. This is my understanding of the situation. Perhaps Shore Things will comment further.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
AC2717

Court Kelly of Arbor Tech out of Gilmanton is the way to go
ApS (06-02-2011), ArborTech (06-02-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Grant

Default Here's another...

Lovering Tree Care Mirror Lake

603-569-0569
ApS (06-02-2011), Senter Cove Guy (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
TomC

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
As far as permitting goes, you don't need a permit from the state to cut trees within the protected shoreline, but you do need to adhere to the provisions of the shoreline protection rules of the state. That means having to maintain a tree "point total" within the 50 foot buffer strip back from the water. Each 50 foot width of that strip has to have at least 50 points worth of trees left. If that tree is diseased, it can be taken anyway. The rules you have to follow can be found on the state's website, but it's a lengthy document.

However, the burden is on you to document what you do, in the form of photos and tree maps, in case the state later wants to challenge you on what you did. In the case of a diseased tree, you may need a statement from an arborist attesting to that fact and the need for its removal. This is my understanding of the situation. Perhaps Shore Things will comment further.
the tree is full of woodpecker holes and bugs with barely any foliage left. i took several pictures of it. i want it out before it falls on someone. Also, its one tree maybe 30-40 ft high. i cant see anyone wanting to come from Gilmanton or Mirror Lake for this small job. Looking for as local a person as possible. Economy must be better because i'm now up to 0 for 3 on call backs...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
dykg

I would like to make a suggestion. Put the job on Craigs list with the price you believe is fair/competitive and require the person responding to have insurance. You can insert a picture of the tree and provide a general location. It worked for me and you will get a very competitive price. Just make sure you get a insurance certificate of liability insurance before any work is done.

The economy is still in depressed state so you will receive responses.

good luck

DYKG
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
TomC

Default never thought of that, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykg View Post
I would like to make a suggestion. Put the job on Craigs list with the price you believe is fair/competitive and require the person responding to have insurance. DYKG
i have no idea on what is fair? anyone have a guess? 30-40ft tall, maybe foot diameter at the base. Access a little tough on a sloping/rocky water front. cant just "drop" it or it will hit a deck or end up in the lake. i want it cut as close to the ground as possible and all the wood removed (its an evergreen, so not so great for firewood)

i am not willing to get hosed on the deal, but i am not expecting it to be free, either...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
i have no idea on what is fair? anyone have a guess? 30-40ft tall, maybe foot diameter at the base. Access a little tough on a sloping/rocky water front. cant just "drop" it or it will hit a deck or end up in the lake. i want it cut as close to the ground as possible and all the wood removed (its an evergreen, so not so great for firewood)

i am not willing to get hosed on the deal, but i am not expecting it to be free, either...
Having the wood cut and stacked as opposed to removed would be cheaper. Removing the wood I would estimate the total cost to be between $600.00 - $800.00

Leaving the wood between $500.00 - $600.00

I would also highly recommend Courtney Kelly of Arbortech.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
ArborTech (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
dykg

I would start at $400 and be clear and specific in your ad of what you want.
You need to have the insurance certificate and note that the person have experience in tree removal.

I had four trees removed in the fall for less than $400 each (one was pine which was quite high) and the person removed the wood. The person had his own company and provided insurance. The deal worked out great.

You will get responses. I am telling you. Businesses are hungry for work!
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
GTO

Default I went with Krampitz

Quote:

I went with Krampitz last year over Court kelly to remove a large tree by the deck and grinding the stump. Did it for a price alot lower than Courts and even cut up the large pcs and left them for me for firewood.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
ACutAbove

I do treework also, if its only 40 or 50 ft and it can be dropped eaisly and cut up and thrown in a truck it should not be a big deal to do. Send me message on here if you would like me to take a look.
Ken
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
BigLake

Default Just had some work done in Moultonboro

I just had 10 trees taken down, I highly reccommend Tim Morrison of Northern Woods Corp in Moultonboro 603-476-5870
BigLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
RLW

Smile

I would think that since this thread was started back the first part of June that the tree work has been completed even though TomC has not stated anything since June 2nd.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
TomC

Default yes, the tree is down

it was done for $350 by White Mountain Tree out of Laconia. The wood was removed and even some brush unassociated with the tree removal was chipped up for me. I recommend this company
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
dowshill

Arbortech did a great job for us this summer. We had 6 or 7 trees taken down for a very reasonable price. We were so pleased that we are thinking of having him come to our home to take down a tree or two. He is willing to travel.
dowshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #18
MDoug

Default Tree Removal on Bear

If you're on Bear Island, watch out! One local contractor charged us $2,500 to remove a big pine hanging ominously over our dock. Of course, he had to barge it off to the mainland, but I'm sure he sold firewood from it.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
If you're on Bear Island, watch out! One local contractor charged us $2,500 to remove a big pine hanging ominously over our dock. Of course, he had to barge it off to the mainland, but I'm sure he sold firewood from it.
Pine trees are no good for firewood. So he didn't make any money from the firewood end of things.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (11-14-2011)