Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
CateP

Default Questions About Holderness

Hi Everybody
The house search continues as does waiting for a buyer for our NJ house. (Stuck in NJ, watching all the great events coming up in the lakes region and not being able to do a darn thing about it. But I'm making a trip up the first weekend in June for my New Hampton School reunion. Staying at the Naz and hangin' at the beach bar for the weekend, if any forum members want to stop by and say hi.)

Anyway, we saw a couple of houses over in Holderness and I was wondering if anybody had some inside info on the town.

Here are my questions:
Is there reliable high speed internet service there? (Wireless modems?)
Is there a nice year-round community or is it a winter ghost town? (Hepburn and Fonda haunting)
Is Plymouth the place to go for most supplies?
Anything special about the town that makes it great? (Besides the Nature Center and Holderness School)
Any special about the town that makes it not so great?

We're looking at a place over on Locust Drive off 175 and it looks like it's pretty close to 93 (like in the back yard). If anyone knows about this particular area please PM me.

As always, thanks for your input.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
john60ri

Default Holderness

We've been up in Holderness every August since 1998. You can get anything you need in Meredith, about 8-9 miles away. Ashland is closer though - Bob's Shur-Fine Market (our favorite), Cumberland Farms, a hardware store, a breakfast diner, Common Man Store and restaurant. Plymouth is great,too, about 10 miles away, nice little ride. Come to think of it, the whole area is great - a veritable paradise.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Is there a nice year-round community or is it a winter ghost town?
Hi Cate, there is no such thing as a winter ghost town here in New Hampshire! Your friendly demeanor will be welcomed anywhere you should decide to live! Happiness bonds and abounds in The Granite State!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Hi Everybody
The house search continues as does waiting for a buyer for our NJ house. (Stuck in NJ, watching all the great events coming up in the lakes region and not being able to do a darn thing about it. But I'm making a trip up the first weekend in June for my New Hampton School reunion. Staying at the Naz and hangin' at the beach bar for the weekend, if any forum members want to stop by and say hi.)

Anyway, we saw a couple of houses over in Holderness and I was wondering if anybody had some inside info on the town.

Here are my questions:
Is there reliable high speed internet service there? (Wireless modems?)
Is there a nice year-round community or is it a winter ghost town? (Hepburn and Fonda haunting)
Is Plymouth the place to go for most supplies?
Anything special about the town that makes it great? (Besides the Nature Center and Holderness School)
Any special about the town that makes it not so great?

We're looking at a place over on Locust Drive off 175 and it looks like it's pretty close to 93 (like in the back yard). If anyone knows about this particular area please PM me.

As always, thanks for your input.
The Tadpole and I are still looking too Cate. When the house is right the location is wrong or vice versa. Been a pretty frustrating search for us.

When we were first married we lived close to a major highway. First few months were literally a wakeup call when an 18 wheeler rumbled down the road. You do, after a fashion, get acclimated to the highway sounds but visitors don't. We personally have turned down making offers on a couple of very nice houses because of their proximity to a highway.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Jmo77011

Default Cell Phone

Holderness is a "dead zone" for our cell phones, and has been for years, in case that is important for you. It's a nice area, close to everything but far enough away to be peaceful.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
fatlazyless

About a quarter mile from the Holderness post office on Route 25, in the back area of the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, Holderness has a large State of N.H. boat launch that's located on the 1/8 mile long Squam channel that accesses Big and Little Squam Lakes. Complete with two boat launching ramps, a loading dock, parking lot for trailer vehicles and rest rooms; it is totally FREE access for all trailer-boaters to both of the Squam Lakes for day use of trailer boats and just a 10-15 minute drive from Rt 93-Exit 24. A State of N.H. boat launch like this is something that Lake Winnipesaukee does not have!
CateP (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo77011 View Post
Holderness is a "dead zone" for our cell phones, and has been for years, in case that is important for you. It's a nice area, close to everything but far enough away to be peaceful.
I have Verizon and cell phone service is very important to us, as are most technology services. I must have reliable high speed internet access for my job.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
We've been up in Holderness every August since 1998. You can get anything you need in Meredith, about 8-9 miles away. Ashland is closer though - Bob's Shur-Fine Market (our favorite), Cumberland Farms, a hardware store, a breakfast diner, Common Man Store and restaurant. Plymouth is great,too, about 10 miles away, nice little ride. Come to think of it, the whole area is great - a veritable paradise.
I know the summer in Holderness is WONDERFUL, but I'm curious about year-round living.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
donnamatrix

Default Holderness is cellphone dead zone

I have Verizon also, which is good because AT&T is unavailable to most places up here. No matter what, Holderness, along Route 3, and 113 is a total dead zone. It's a big problem.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
I have Verizon also, which is good because AT&T is unavailable to most places up here. No matter what, Holderness, along Route 3, and 113 is a total dead zone. It's a big problem.
Okay. Good to know. I am going to be using a wireless modem as internet back up so cell phone reception is essential. The house we are currently interested in is about 2 miles from Plymouth on 175.

Metrocast does not service Holderness.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
TheProfessor

Holderness is a nice rural NH town. With some fancy homes on the two lakes.

Holderness has few amenities and few stores. Ashland has Bob's Market. I always stop at Bob's when I am out that way. And good restaurants in Ashland. The WMart is in Plymouth or Laconia.

Holderness has already built it's new fire station so that project is out of the way. Not sure if they want to be like the surrounding towns and build a new police station.

Holderness is quite rural. So looking at homes here or any other town you ask the real estate agent to check what cable or DSL is available if any for each home you view. The more remote you get the less likely available. I don't think any of these small towns mandated in cable contracts to provide cable to every home and some of these homes are on private roads. Private roads - usually dirt roads - are maintained by the homeowners - and that sometimes creates money issues as to who pays for maintenance and who wishes to not pay. As I stated before if you chose a dirt road your car will be dusty all of the time. And mud season can be an issue. And if you find a home on a hill you may need AWD or 4WD.

And as mentioned there is a public access to Squam Lake.

Holderness is pretty spread out going way up on Route 175 to the north. And like most of these small towns follow the speed limits as the locals don't have much to do except issue tickets.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
CateP (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
ACutAbove

I live on the Meredith side of Holderness and my verizion works just fine, ther are a few dead spots but it works much better thru town than it has in the past.
We have Time Warner cable and internet and it must work as that is how I am typeing this now (haha).
I love this little town it is close enough to everything but far enough away to be peaceful and quiet.
There is alot to like about Holderness you just have to drive around town and see it for yourself.
PM me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with...
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Lucy Goose

I use US Cellular which switches to Verizon when you are out of a ZUSC area. USC does great coverage of NH. I rarely have a problem. Not sure about Holderness but probably fine. I will check next time I drive through.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote