Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Where's my global warming ?

OK, who ordered up this weather ? Is this July 4'th or Sept 4'th ? Windy, cloudy and 65F is just {bill_Murray_voice} wroooong {/bill_Murray_voice} !
Old 07-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
RLW

Post Great weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
OK, who ordered up this weather ? Is this July 4'th or Sept 4'th ? Windy, cloudy and 65F is just {bill_Murray_voice} wroooong {/bill_Murray_voice} !
This is fantastic weather for cutting, splitting and staking the winter firewood. The breeze is also great keeping the mosquito's away while doing it. I only have 2 more cords to go and I'm hoping it will stay this way for another 4 or 5 days.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Weekend Pundit

Unhappy This is just so wrong

Two days in a row with cool temps and high winds which made it unpleasant out on the lake over this weekend.

Where's global warming when you need it?
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Dave R

Kept me home this weekend, no one in my family wants go swimming when it's below 80F. Good weather for working on the house and I did a lot of that. Maybe it'll warm up this coming weekend.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default I'm on vacation

Listen folks I'M ON VACATION!! IT BEST START WARMING UP. I WANT 90's-100 HUMID AS HELL a drink in one hand and me wading in the water at Braun Bay or at my beach!! Would appreciate whoever has any pull (I've used up all my special requests) to use one for me. Thank You
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Talking The wind in your face, the nip in your nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
... Good weather for working on the house and I did a lot of that.
And that's the problem ... we're on vacation this week at the cabin. So we can either sit on the dock wrapped in blankets over our parkas while sippin beers from our gloved hands or I can work on the cabin. I'm gonna burn another tree or 3 and get this greenhouse thing a-going !

ps - I split the wood last weekend ... when it was warm.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

Default Is it Columbus Day this week?

When was the last time this happened? It's July 2, and the water temp is 61, air temp 67 in the warmest part of the day after reaching only 64 yesterday. Dry northwest winds make the same rushing sound through the trees that usually accompanies football season. Yesterday I was at the Castle in the Clouds Antique Show and heard people asking locals if it was going to snow. Many were wearing jackets.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
steadyon

and the lake temp has gone from 72 to 70 overnight!
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
phoenix

like RLM i cut and split a lot of wood today so take advantage of what you get
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Merrymeeting

Angry

Can one of you weather experts please explain something for me?

I've been here since early last Friday. My boat is rocking like there is no tomorrow, there are whitecaps everywhere I look, the trees have been bent over for so long they are beginning to take on a curved shape, and I'm unable to do anything outside that can be done under gale force winds.

Yet I go to the weather websites and they are showing 7-10 MPH winds. If these are 7-10 MPH winds, then I'm 6'4" and chiseled like a god.

When is this going to end?!!!!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #11
CanisLupusArctos

Default Lake generates its own weather

Though not to the same extent as the summit of Mt. Washington, Lake Winni has its own weather. There are many times (esp. in the last week) that my wind sensors (which are on land, about 100 feet from the water) measure 7-10 mph winds as you describe, while out on the open water I can tell by looking at the waves that the wind is hauling along at a much faster rate. Water doesn't slow wind down but Land does.

Also amplifying the wind speed on Lake Winni are local land features (mountains and islands) which sometimes funnel the wind like city buildings do. The lake itself is oriented NW-SE, so winds from either of those 2 directions have a good 15-20 mile run for picking up speed. The last few days it's been blowing from the NW. In summer it's more normal for us to get winds from the SW where all the heat comes from... but this year we keep getting the Montreal Express.

...And the lake water temp here continues its plummet, now at 61. Can't remember ever seeing water this cold in July.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #12
gtxrider

Default Call Al!

Quote:
I think you need to contact Al Gore, you know the guy who invented the internet.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Mark

Lightbulb It's HERE and our weather a result

Quote:
Not so fast there Mee or Mac. We are experiencing the results of global warming. Remember that this starts with the ICE mounds at the poles that are melting. Former ice from up north becomes very cold water that is now mixing with water in our vast oceans.

It just makes sense when you realize that there is more water on earth than land. We are up here and the cold water that is mixing and creeping toward us from the north is affecting our weather. Colder ocean water equals different weather. Colder and windier.

Do you remember summers like our last few before global warming?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #14
Lakegeezer

Default He did - sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
I think you need to contact Al Gore, you know the guy who invented the internet.
Just a short diversion off-topic; To the best of my recollection, the internets of the 80’s were the Usenet, Arpanet and NSFnet. Then VP Al Gore pushed for a directive that allowed commercialization, which triggered the growth that has become what we know today. I was working for DEC at the time, which was a significant contributor to internet technology, and remember the day we considered it legal to use the net commercially. Al-Gore – rightly - has a claim on helping to create the internet, but his remarks were perhaps bit self-serving when he said "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Commercialization was a niche issue of the Gore primary campaign, became part of the successful Clinton-Gore campaign. It was implemented shortly after the pair took office. Al Gore’s senator dad had helped push the funding for the Interstate road system during the Eisenhower era, and Al wanted his legacy to be a digital version - the “information super-highway”. He pushed several internet related funding bills while a Senator – before the executive branch decree to let it be commercial. So, technically, Al Gore did not create the Internet, but without his efforts, the technology of the early 80’s (hyperlinks, email, chat, threaded discussion groups, etc) would have remained within the military industrial complex for at least a few more years. See http://greatgreenroom.org/cgi-bin/bt/backtalk/wasabi/begin?item=11 for links to the bills that Senator AG sponsored.

Now lets get back to the effort of getting some global warming here for the rest of the summer.

Last edited by Lakegeezer; 07-03-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Fixed title
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #15
lfm

Talking global warming - bring it on

Quote:
And that's the problem ... we're on vacation this week at the cabin. So we can either sit on the dock wrapped in blankets over our parkas while sippin beers from our gloved hands or I can work on the cabin. I'm gonna burn another tree or 3 and get this greenhouse thing a-going !

ps - I split the wood last weekend ... when it was warm.

I've been telling my better half to go heavy on the hairspray - we'll try to do our part. I'd use it too, but that would be like bringing a boat to the desert.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

This is a time for everyone to pull together to get the temperature up.Trade in those little Mini's for a big ol' SUV .....and leave it running while shopping....never walk when you can drive.If you have a 4 stroke....get rid of it and buy a nice used 2 stroke.No more dump runs with brush and leaves....burn 'em.
If we don't all do something to get the global temperature up we may not have a summer at all.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 AM   #17
BBS2

Default heat wave

2 cords being delivered Tuesday, therefore heat wave begins on Monday.
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:16 AM   #18
Cal

Ask the people in Las Vegas where it's at. Just heard on the news yesterday set an all time high 128*
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #19
gtxrider

Default Location

But that's Vegas it is supposed to be hot!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #20
Rattlesnake Guy

So what we need is a big fan to mix things up a little.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #21
AC2717

Default As the world turns

If gas was not so pricey I would suggest all of us just leaving our cars and boats running to generate the global warming. just kidding, but would be interesting if you could actually see what would happen if we did.

Maybe if we all go to the top of the world the weight would dip it down closed to the sun.

That is what I am thinking is happening, there is so many people and construction and materials and cars and trucks and tools and everything else that has weight to it. There is no global warming, it is just that literally the weight of the world is so great, for example here on the western side, where it seems to have all the global warming problems, that has the most of everything, construction, people, cars, materials everything. It is causing the earth to shift on its axis. This has to be factored in to all this stuff, I am not a rocket scientist but this has got to be a factor!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #22
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
This is fantastic weather for cutting, splitting and staking the winter firewood. The breeze is also great keeping the mosquito's away while doing it. I only have 2 more cords to go and I'm hoping it will stay this way for another 4 or 5 days.
I made it as it is all cut and split. Now it's just the staking which I can take until October or November to do that part. Thank the Lord for answering my prayers and keeping it cool until it was done.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #23
CanisLupusArctos

Default The heat is around...

Heard on the Weather Channel this morning that Death Valley is close to breaking the all-time high for North America (which is 134 F). The heat is around; the weather pattern just isn't bringing it here.

Seems all we need for a good swim in the lake is humidity though (see water temp thread.) The humidity this summer has been very low around here, only a handful of days with dewpoints in the 60s (muggy) and hasn't reached 70 yet (oppressive humidity.) Last summer we had a 79-degree dewpoint one day (Gulf Coast humidity.)

Dewpoint is in the 60s today after being in the 40s (autumn-like dryness) the last several days. In response the water temp has risen 3 degrees since last night and still rising. Probe is 3 feet down, at the end of the dock. The readings are on the Black Cat WeatherCam site and self-update every 15 minutes, if you want to follow it.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #24
wildwoodfam

Wink You can KEEP the heat and humidity!!!

Give me upper 70's to mid 80's, crisp clean clear dry Canadian air, and a breeze blowing off the lake to keep the bugs moving along. This is the kinda weather I love when at the lake - sweatshirt, in the admirondack chair on the dock, with several good books!!

July fourth several years back - temps hit upper 90's and it was MISERABLE!!! We had 25 people up and NOBODY wanted to be on the boat, or on the beach - was brutally hot and humid. We all were in the water from 9am until about 9pm!!

This is the weather that I recall as a kid - cool crisp nights with a bonfire, and sunny crisp days on the lake!

Sorry folks - hope that heat and humidity stays away!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #25
mets3007

Default here it comes

I think Im bringing the warm air with me as its going to be humid Sunday and Monday with the temps going into the uppers 70's Tuesday lol.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
gtxrider

Default take it with you

Please take the warm humid air with you and leave it dry here in the New York Metro area! At least you can cool off in the lake...

GO SOX!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #27
John A. Birdsall

Default weather

I don't know what all the complaining is about, I went swimming last sat and sunday and the water could not have been more pleasant. However get out of the water wet and that is another story...

Now for future weather predictions. Starting Friday Evening the lakes area will be cold, wet, with possible snow. This will last thru the 16th of July. My sister the bad weather maker will be at the lake on vacation. Did I say lake, gee she spends most of the time at Wal-Mart?????
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #28
ITD

What about the Polar Bears?????

Let's see, Global Warming causes cold weather, there, that should cover all the bases.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #29
KennyOfTheLake

Wink Iceberg at the Weirs

Snapped this off the Weirscam this morning, positively disproving the predictions of global warming with a evidence of a rare, but indisputable, July iceberg.
Attached Images

KennyOfTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #30
TomC

Default penguin?

that must be a penguin in the lower left corner, too...!
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #31
CanisLupusArctos

Default Penguin

The penguin's only there to to make sure WeirsCam keeps running on Linux. Has anyone alerted the MOUNT to the location of that iceberg? They only have one lifeboat...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #32
Weirs guy

OK, so ice in occurred this year on July 24th!! Now, wheres my ice auger and beer....

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #33
KennyOfTheLake

Default And only 1/9th is above the surface!

Maybe the Mount could use one of these...
http://www.farsounder.com

(shameless plug for where my son works!)
KennyOfTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #34
Ropetow

The Polar Bears were out cavorting today just off the West Alton sand bar. But the MP's came along and told them it was a no-rafting zone so they had to disperse.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #35
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
I went swimming last sat and sunday and the water could not have been more pleasant. However get out of the water wet and that is another story...
That was the mistake. The key, of course, is to dry off while in the water, thereby avoiding getting out of the water wet.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote