Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
KennyOfTheLake

Default Just a suggestion...

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I offer it only as an inexpensive (I think) suggestion to the restaurant owners out there who might not have considered this. I'm surprised at the number of places whose water tastes, well, terrible. When I'm offered "tap" vs "bottled" I know I'm taking the lesser alternative by saying tap, but a little activated charcoal filtration would sure be nice. Anyway, just my $.02.

~KotL
KennyOfTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
twoplustwo

Default what?

You don't like your water straight out of the lake??
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
You don't like your water straight out of the lake??
Who says it's coming from the lake? There are other basins around, you know and not every restaurant is on the water.

Kenny - I'm with you on the water but it's not just in this area. I'm not a soda-drinker so my choices are limited when we go out. I prefer my water after it's either run past coffee beans or when it's included with fermented barley and malt (beer!) but I've had some instances when those are on my menu so I opt for H2O. Sometimes it's the ice that's bitter or foul tasting.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
KennyOfTheLake

Default Ice!

Argie's Wife: Yes! Ice! I agree ice could really be the problem much of the time. And I'm sure you're correct that it's not necessarily about the Lakes Region. It's just that this is our "fun" place which usually means a healthy () share of dining out. So many good choices and I bet they'd like to keep it that way.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'm not going to miss an opportunity to shamelessly, put a plug in for the Village Kitchen. Kenny, you don't need to order bottled water at the VK.......we have two wells, both 1000' into bedrock. Pretty much the same water as Castle springs. Sweet, cold and FREE. You're welcome to fill up bottles any time. Chuck Roth installed them and can vouch for me in case Lovely thinks I'm lying.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Bluebell (09-12-2009), KennyOfTheLake (09-13-2009), twoplustwo (09-13-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Nice cool water

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I'm not going to miss an opportunity to shamelessly, put a plug in for the Village Kitchen. Kenny, you don't need to order bottled water at the VK.......we have two wells, both 1000' into bedrock. Pretty much the same water as Castle springs. Sweet, cold and FREE. You're welcome to fill up bottles any time. Chuck Roth installed them and can vouch for me in case Lovely thinks I'm lying.
Easy does it Samiam
Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Happy Gourmand

Default A Good Point, KoTL

I never gave it a lot of attention but you make a very good point. I too have noticed the varying water taste issues in many restaurants in the area. It seems like a simple inline taste and odor filter would do wonders to improve the taste of the water. I wonder, though, if installation of such a unit will raise other issues with any regulatory or governing bodies.
As an example, I agree with many others on this forum thaqt the food at the Chinese restaurant in Belmont, on Rte 3, across from Baron's (obviously I can't remember the name) is some of the best around, but the taste of the water is terrible. HMMMM...I wonder if restaurants add the awful taste to the water to encourage you to order some expensive exotic drinks?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Laconia takes it's drinking water from the lake but by the time these municipalities put in all the required ingredients, it usually tastes awful. Actually I love the taste of the lake water. It is wonderful tasting, I was told if you put in a good infiltration system just in case something goes by, you are fine. It may depend on the area though...... Wolfeboro is thinking of taking it's water from the lake.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
KennyOfTheLake

Default Yes!

Ahh, Phantom, we agree. It was exactly THAT restaurant that pushed me over the edge. We LOVE the food there, but the water.... wooof. Silly complaint, I suppose, but they bring it too you automatically so it's possibly your first impression. They are not the only ones, though, and it seems like a simple thing to me, but as you said, local regulations may make things more difficult than they seem.

I agree with TIS too, the lake tastes great. And Laconia water at my house isn't bad either. But when I built our new place I put in my own whole-house GE Smartwater system. Easy to maintain and inexpensive. All the water in the house tastes like it came from a Brita. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fanatic.