Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2004, 07:04 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Best Day on the Lake this year

Wednesday was the best day of year for boating. We left West Alton around 9 AM and headed for Center Harbor. Got clear of Rattlesnake and waved to Snakeeyes Cam. Just a little chop from the northwest wind, not much boat traffic except for fisherpeople (how's that for being P.C.).Not a cloud in the sky and the sun was warming the air every minute. Docked at the public docks, walked up to Patternworks yarn shop so my wife could check out her competition (she and her sister own Knit Purl & beyond in Wolfeboro), then it was back to the boat.
We then headed to the Weirs via the west side of Bear Island and waved to the Bear Cam. Did I mention "not a cloud in the sky"! We docked at the Weirs along with the other boat (suffice it to say, there was a lot of room!), waving to the Weirs Cam and Anchor cam as we came in. We walked up and got tickets for us and another couple for the Halloween Cruise on the Mt.
Then it was off to Paugus Bay, waving to Channel Cam, down around the islands, watching an ultralight skiplane (pretty blue color) make several passes, but never landed, back through the channel (Hello Channel cam again) and off for Governor's Island bridge. (Hello again to W. C. & A. C.).
After going under the bridge we passed by Lockes Island on the south side, and headed out in the broads where we could see down to Center Harbor area, down towards the Weirs, and down towards Wolfeboro, and cut the engine. Did I mention "Not a cloud in the sky"!
Out came the soft bulkie rolls, mayo, mustard, corned beef, capicola, potato salad, all set up on a really neat folding table that is 26x18 and adjusts in height from 24-28 inches and folds flat to fit along the side of the boat between the seats and the side of the boat. Then it was some cookies and fruit and watching the world go by. Did I mention "there wasn't a cloud in the sky" ?????
Tested the waters with the right foot, seemed just a little chilly, so we headed to the Sand Bar at West Alton. As we were heading there, the wind started to pick up, and a little more than a chop developed, but we were riding with the waves, so it was still reasonably smooth. We anchored at the sand bar, tested the waters with that same right foot, and found it wasn't much warmer, but decided to take the plunge anyway. Not bad once we got in. Watched the boats go by, enjoyed just sitting there with some gentle rocking in the small waves, and finally headed back to the dock around 2:30.

Did I mention there wasn't a cloud in the sky???? Did I mention the sunburn I got on Sept 22nd!!!!! And did I mention that I forgot my #$%@#$% camera!!!!

My wife headed to the yarn shop for her Wed night knit & eat (pizza from Louie's) and I headed to the golf course for our league's last night, a nine hole fun thingee followed by a shrimp cocktail, prime rib, twice baked potato, corn on the cob, and strawberry shortcake dinner. (the latter sure did beat pizza or salad!!!!

Great day, wish they could all be that way!!!!! Wish you all could have been there, but then again, it may have been a little crowded on the lake then.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
Grant

Don't taunt me.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
Miss Cow Island

Default I'm jealous

UPthesaukee - stop, you're making me jealous! Am hoping tomorrow is like Wed since the husband and I will be playing hookey and going up to the lake for one of our last weekends.
Miss Cow Island is offline   Reply With Quote