Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
CateP

Default Movers-Recommendations

Well it looks like I'm going to be renting in Wolfeboro over the winter (or until my house gets sold) and I'm looking for movers. The move is from central NJ to Wolfeboro.

I need movers to help pack some antique furniture and load on the NJ end and then unload in Wolfeboro. Thanks in advance for recommendations.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Bluebell

We moved from New York to Wolfeboro a few years ago. This company did a fantastic job packing and transporting our furniture.

http://www.wchuffmoving.com/

Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
CateP

A question just popped into my mind as I am trying to research my own question. Should I be looking for a mover in NJ or NH?

They are going to have to load up in NJ and then drive to NH.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
robmac

I used Diggins & Rose out of Hudson,NH. They make weekly trips up and down the eastern seaboard and may be able to save you some money to fill a partial trailer load on the northern trip.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Bluebell

The mover I suggested is located in Barrington, NH. On the day of our move, they arrived in NY mid-morning and carefully packed up the truck with our furniture. They immediately turned around and drove back to NH and left the truck fully packed at their facility in Barrington overnight. We drove up the same day. The next morning they arrived at our Wolfeboro home to unpack. It worked out great.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
TheProfessor

You had best read up on movers. There are a myriad of stories out there about movers being less then ethical.

READ you contract. If you have antiques or anything of value do check your insurance policy. Purchase extra insurance if possible. Check all deductibles.

Find out if your furniture will be "transferred" from one truck to another and one company to another. Try to avoid this if at all possible.

Skip the budget movers.

Since the items will end up in New Hampshire I would check with Ray the Mover out of Manchester, NH. Just off of 293. Ray the Mover company has been in business for a very long time.

LINK
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Crowley Movers & Storage based in Plymouth, NH, very close to Rt 93- Exit 26 on olde Rt 3:

Crowley Movers, run by Bob Crowley and his wife, have been in the same location in Plymouth for many years. It is a locally owned company that employs about 6 people, full time, has about three large van trucks, and makes a terrific smooth move at a fair price, plus they also have a storage facility at their location.

Suggest you call Bob Crowley for a smooth move!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-20-2011 at 07:37 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
JasonG

Contact ABF.
I researched this heavily when we moved from NH to FL (Yes I am still on the Winni Boards). They drop a trailer and you self load or they can arrange to help load. 1/2 the price of PODS and other similar services.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Jeanzb1

We also used ABF for our move from MA to FL and were very happy with them. You box all your belongings and then drive everything to their terminal, load it onto the truck, and they put up a sheet of plywood to separate your stuff from the next person's load -- and off the truck goes. We paid extra to have our stuff delivered to us in FL, rather than picking it up ourselves. Overall, a very positive experience!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Sal

I second the "pod" idea. Have a pod dropped off in NJ. YOU pack it at your leisure. Close it up. Have it delivered to NH. Leave it packed (or not) until you're ready to (really) move in. We rented a large pod (whole house full of furniture) for about $70 a month. Moving it is extra.
Sort of like a self storage rental that moves.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
CateP

Although I thank all of you for your thoughtful replies, I don't think I'm going for the "pack your own" method. I am looking into movers who will load and professionally pack the truck and drive it up here. If that ends up being a bit beyond my budget, I'm going to look into renting a truck and hiring movers to just load and unload and I'll drive.

The good news is that this is a door-to-door move and I don't need storage in between.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Ray The Mover

Though I have not used them, I have heard nothing but good about "Ray The Mover" in Manchester. http://www.raythemover.com/DesktopDe...aspx?tabid=251

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

My advice is simple instead of looking a the small time movers, contact the large Nationwide companies. They will hook you up with a local agent who will discuss all the options with you. You may find that you don't need an entire truck and qualify for a partial load, which saves money. In the past my family has used Allied, United, and New World Van Lines. If you are not used to moving you will find these larger companies can help you answer all the questions you will have.

As for insurance, contact your insurance company and find out what is covered under your current homeowners policy. Additionally find out about additional Moving insurance from them. You can also talk with these larger moving companies about insurance options they may offer.

The bottom line is the larger companies will generally hook you up with a local agent.. To get up packed and shipped, and co-ordinate with a second local agent to help unload and unpack at your destination.

As for the Antiques and item that have sentimental value to you, watch the movers, and talk to them if you don't think something has been packed into the truck safely. Once again with the larger companies, the movers, are usually very customer friendly, where as the smaller local moving companies, are more likely to be offended by your questions...

Now just to put validity behind my experiences... I have moved personally 6 times, and been involved with at least 12 over moves helping family and friends, I have done the U-haul self move, I have used small companies, for local moves, and used larger Nation Wide Moving companies for long distance moves. If you are moving out of state, the Nationwide companies are really the only way to go... otherwise you face unloaded transportation costs, which at the end of day adds, up to the extra cost encountered when using on of the Nation wide companies.
CateP (09-21-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
NickNH

I second the recommendation for Ray the Mover.....we used them twice when moving my mom around and they were excellent...
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I used Diggins & Rose out of Hudson,NH. They make weekly trips up and down the eastern seaboard and may be able to save you some money to fill a partial trailer load on the northern trip.
i would not recomend this company they lost several of my items during the move process.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
We moved from New York to Wolfeboro a few years ago. This company did a fantastic job packing and transporting our furniture.

http://www.wchuffmoving.com/

We have used Huff as well, with great success!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-23-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
KBoater

Default Huff

Huff moved me from FL to Wolfeboro. They move some of the antique dealers and also have a Wolfeboro connection. Make sure you are on their truck. If you have flexable time it helps. Their offices are in Barrington.