Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Farmers' Markets / Farm Stands

I think the farmers' market in Alton is gone... ??? Anyone know???

Does your town have a farmers' market?

If so, what days/hours are they open?

How about farm stands in your town?

THANKS!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Woodsy

Beans & Greens over behind Sawyers in Gilford.... I cant get out of there without buying something!

Woodsy
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
EllyPoinster

The New Durham Farmer's Market is open on Fridays, 11:00 AM to 4:30 PM, until October 17th, in the New Durham Post Office parking lot.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Sunrise Point

It's a little out of your way, but Sanbornton has a small farmer's market on Fridays beginning at 3:00PM. It's located on Rte 132 in "downtown" Sanbornton.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
PennyPenny

Default Here is another one

Sandwich has one on Saturday morning near the library/fairgrounds in the center of Sandwich. Lots of local stuff.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
fmgate

Don't forget Smith's Farm off of Sleeper Hill Rd. in Gilford.
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
jellybean

I think it did close a couple of years ago, Argie's. I knew the organizer; unfortunately, it never really got off the ground. I don't think we have enough producers in Alton.

There is one in Wolfeboro Thurs afternoon from 1-5 PM - I liked it when I last went a couple of years ago.

The one I really want to try is Sanbornton on Friday afternoons - they have some serious farmers in that town (I believe it was one of the first farmer's markets in the state). The market is just a few miles north of J Jill and the Tilton outlet mall. http://www.lanetavern.org/sfm.htm

I'd imagine that Meridith has a nice one, too (judging from the farms there). I found this, not sure if they are still running into Sept ... but if they are like me, they didn't have much getting ripe until last week!
Meredith Farmers' Market
Trinity Episcopal Church
Meredith, NH
Phone: 603-279-9015
Email: gmp1@metrocast.net
Open: Thursdays, July-August, 2:30-5:30pm. Rain or shine
Products: Fresh locally grown meat, fruits, vegetables, crafts, maple products, baked goods and eggs.
If you want a few organic heirloom tomatoes or hot peppers, just let me know - I have a few extras this year and you can pick them up from me at school. I'm giving away extras this year; next year, I may be ready to sell!
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Cristen

I recently went into the Ledgewood Farm stand in Moultonborough (near the Old Country Store). I got a ton a vegetables for only $5.00. A great find...
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
T.H.E. Binz

Default Meredith Canceled

The Main Street dummies canceled the Meredith Farmers' Market this year. Someone should organize one away from the main street so there is plenty of stall space and customer parking.
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.E. Binz View Post
The Main Street dummies canceled the Meredith Farmers' Market this year. Someone should organize one away from the main street so there is plenty of stall space and customer parking.
Considering the price of food in the grocery stores, it only makes sense to buy local. Besides, grocery store tomatoes are awful!

I believe the Farmers' Market in Alton was stopped (don't know why...) but at a recent Alton Board of Selectmen's meeting, one of the selectmen was hinting pretty hard that he'd like to see it come back. I second that motion!

----

Thanks to all for the info about the Farmers' Markets in the various areas. I had no idea about the New Durham one and will make it a point to go there on Friday... we need good tomatoes!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
Toyorelle

Maple Tree Farm out of Loudon has a farm stand in the parking lot at the Tilt n' Diner. I've had the corn on the cob there a few times this summer and it's been perfectly sweet every time.
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #12
Sunrise Point

I'm glad that someone else recommended the Sanbornton Farmer's Market. If you don't go on a market day, stop by Surowiec Farm (I may have misspelled this) on Perley Hill Rd. The farm has fresh produce and pick your own apples (in season). She's a regular vendor at the market. Really great stuff.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
John A. Birdsall

Default Farm Stand

I think the farm stand in Alton closed because Hannofords is right in the back yard and competing was too much. It's a shame cause I liked fresh veg. that they provided, seems a waste that they built that stand, then moved the stand and now its closed.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
The New Durham Farmer's Market is open on Fridays, 11:00 AM to 4:30 PM, until October 17th, in the New Durham Post Office parking lot.
Went to the New Durham market today and got the yummiest cherry tomatoes... I almost ate the whole bag (a pint!) on the way home... Bad wife!

Bought some maple syrup and some honey, as we were out of both. The baby got a cute little pumpkin (like a gourd) and had a great time playing with the large pumpkins, gourds and squashes.

We'll be back - nice people, great prices! Another great reason to keep your $$$ local!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Janet

If you want a GREAT pie - try Moulton Farm's apple pie with maple flavored crust. We had 3 of those pies the first 2 weeks we were there.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I think the farm stand in Alton closed because Hannofords is right in the back yard and competing was too much. ..
If I had a choice ... I would chose the farm stand to buy my produce.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #17
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
If I had a choice ... I would chose the farm stand to buy my produce.
That's why I started this thread.... the tomatoes and much of the produce in the grocery stores isn't too great. There's probably a special room in hell full of hothouse tomatoes.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
ACutAbove

There is a great little farm stand on 175 in Holderness, rumor has it everything is picked that morning before 10 am for the days sale....
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
Waterbaby

Default More Farmer's Markets.......... or not.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
That's why I started this thread.... the tomatoes and much of the produce in the grocery stores isn't too great. There's probably a special room in hell full of hothouse tomatoes.
This is a great thread, AW! I myself work at a farm in seasonally, in Stratham, NH. We start in March and there is still farmwork to be done until about the end of November (the stand itself doesn't open until Mother's Day Weekend) and sometimes I don't think people realize how much work is involved in farming to get those wonderful veggies to them, but that's another whole story altogether, lol. Anyway. We participate in three markets; there are others that we don't participate in, the closest to the Lakes Region is the Dover Market. Dunno if anyone's been there, I haven't, but it may be one more option for people.

If anyone wants info on the Seacoast Markets, please PM me and I'd be more than happy to give you days and times.

Eat your veggies, like Mommy always said!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
no-engine

Default Fyi

Smith's off sleeper hill rd, gilford is closed for the season.

Picnic Rock at Longridge in Meredith has great veggies. Baker on site is also well known. Their corn today was fantastic. Three miles the other side of Meredith, Moulton's is great.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 PM   #21
jellybean

I was told that the little farmstand in Alton (behind McDonald's) closed this year due to a family illness. I hope they are back, but they also didn't have a lot of organic/natural products, which are my preference.

So, are we talking farmer's market here, or the farmstand (which was a private business)? The farmer's market used to be in Alton Bay, but I think it closed well before Hannaford opened.

I don't think that Hannaford would be much of a threat to a weekly farmer's market - we love having Hannaford here, but a market would offer produce that the store doesn't even carry or sell here.

For example, I tried (and failed) to find fresh basil there today to add to my homegrown organic heirloom tomato salad (for some reason, I didn't grow basil this year) ...
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #22
Argie's Wife

UPDATE:

The farm stand in Alton, by the Hannafords, has reopened and is owned by DeVelders (sp?). They carry a great assortment of flowering plants and produce. Their prices are LOW! I have been impressed by the quality and price I've found there to the point that I now just skip the produce section at Hannafords because I know I can do better at the stand! (I got avocados - marked down - at like $0.50/ea because they were getting beyond ripe - which makes great guacamole! )

As I understand it, it's the same folks who own DeVelder's farm in Wolfeboro but I guess they don't own the market in Wolfeboro anymore. Either way, it's a great little place - I'm so glad they're there!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
Alton Bay

My daughter picked up some corn yesterday at Precious Gardens in Alton. It was very good. They have pies too. Not sure what else they will have over the summer, but will def. recommend the corn!
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
KellyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
If you want a GREAT pie - try Moulton Farm's apple pie with maple flavored crust. We had 3 of those pies the first 2 weeks we were there.
This pie sounds really good! Is Moulton Farm the one if you are coming from Hart's, you take a right at the lights near Hannaford's (water would be on the right), and then go up the hill and take a right? If this is the place, we went there last year. They had some really good cookies!
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
Heaven

Quote:
UPDATE:

The farm stand in Alton, by the Hannafords, has reopened and is owned by DeVelders (sp?). They carry a great assortment of flowering plants and produce. Their prices are LOW! I have been impressed by the quality and price I've found there to the point that I now just skip the produce section at Hannafords because I know I can do better at the stand! (I got avocados - marked down - at like $0.50/ea because they were getting beyond ripe - which makes great guacamole! )

As I understand it, it's the same folks who own DeVelder's farm in Wolfeboro but I guess they don't own the market in Wolfeboro anymore. Either way, it's a great little place - I'm so glad they're there!
I'm pretty sure DeVylder's doesn't grow produce, except apples and a few of their flowers. Correct me if I am mistaken.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #26
Janet

Default KellyG

Moulton's Farm is up Route 25 from Meredith. Going up the hill from Meredith, by Hannaford's, you'll go pass the high school and it will soon be on your right. The best pies ever - especially that apple with the maple flavored crust. Just the best! The little kids in the family still talk about those pies and asked if they can have some this year. Of course, all the big kids in the family are looking forward to them as well!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #27
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
My daughter picked up some corn yesterday at Precious Gardens in Alton. It was very good. They have pies too. Not sure what else they will have over the summer, but will def. recommend the corn!
Last summer they had a whole array of fresh veggies. I have to agree that the corn is very good, however, I can't imagine that the NH corn is ready yet, esp. with all the rain that we've had.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #28
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I'm pretty sure DeVylder's doesn't grow produce, except apples and a few of their flowers. Correct me if I am mistaken.
I think it's a mix of their own stuff and things they've brought in from a vendor - only because they carry some obvious non-local/non-seasonal items (i.e. avocados!)
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #29
riverat

farmers market at the bay on the weekends, across the street from the town docks
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #30
magicrobotmonkey

Laconia Farmers market is 8-noon on saturdays in the city hall parking lot. Theres also a new one this year on thursdays from 4-7 at prescott farm on white oaks road near the weirs end.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #31
rrr

Default clarification...

Is Precious Gardens the farm stand next to Hannaford's? Does anyone know what their hours are?

thanks
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #32
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Is Precious Gardens the farm stand next to Hannaford's?
Nope....that's DeVylder's. Precious Gardens is on Rt. 11 heading toward Gilford about a mile (?) out from the tip of Alton Bay.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #33
rrr

Default thanks

Thanks McDude - now I know exactly where Precious Gardens is. I thought it was just plants and flowers - didn't know they did produce. Will have to check it out.

DeVylders in Alton is on my route up on Fridays though and if they're still open as I pass by that would be great.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #34
mcdude

Default It's B - A - C - K - ! - !

Quote:
I believe the Farmers' Market in Alton was stopped (don't know why...) but at a recent Alton Board of Selectmen's meeting, one of the selectmen was hinting pretty hard that he'd like to see it come back. I second that motion!
from the Baysider July 16
Quote:

Farmers’ Market
opens tonight
ALTON
— The Alton Farmers’ Market has relocated to downtown Alton,
across the street from Town Hall in the grass area belonging to the church. The new hours are Thursday evenings from 3 to 6 p.m. beginning tonight, July 16.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #35
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up DeVylder's - great corn!

DeVylder's has NJ corn right now, and it's delicious. Very sweet and tender. We also bought cucumbers there which were 69 cents each (10 cents less and better looking than Hannaford's). They open at 9 am and I believe stay open till 6 or 7 pm most evenings. Worth the stop!

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 07-16-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #36
rick35

Default Moulton Farm

Stopped by Moulton Farm today while I was out doing errands. Their strawberries jumped off the shelve into my arms. Wow! They were fantastic! Bought some corn at $.79 per ear which is a bit pricey. I'm not sure where it was from but it looked good. Will have to wait until later to cook it up and find out.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #37
Bluebell

Default Wolfeboro Farmers' Market

I just got back with 2 big bags of fresh fruit and vegetables. I bought peaches, blueberries, tomatoes, eggplant and yellow squash.......all for $14! I'll be back next week.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote