Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
JonLevis

Default Chart Plotter?

Anyone have any recommendations on a good chartplotter for the Lake? Thanks! GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
secondcurve

Jon:

If you search for chartplotters on the site, you will get a couple of threads dealing with the topic. There are basically two models that work real well. Give it a try and let us know if you have further questions. The chart plotter will make a big difference and I strongly recommend it. Godd luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
lakers

Default Chart Plotter

I got a Standard Horizon 150 from e bay 2 years ago and am very happy with it. The size of the screen is on the small side but is fine for my needs. I am also happy with the day time visibility ie sun glare. Certainly makes getting home at night more enjoyable
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
WKENDER

Default Standard Horizon 180

I purchased a Standard Horizon CP180 with an internal antenna and I love it. The unit is not to small and not to large go to www.thegpsstore.com on line and check it out. You can't beat the price either.
WKENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Phantom

Okay -- I've had this debate numerous times with a friend.

What is the difference (as you folks know it) between a "GPS" and a "GPS Chartplotter" ?

Let's see what additional functions you folks come up with that I missed.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
SAUGUS BOATER

Default Gps / Chartplotter Question

Phantom,

a GPS just gives your position in different formats of latitude / longitude / elevation. It's up to you to transfer that info onto a map and figure out where you are / where you are going.

A chartplotter actually takes that information and overlays it onto a digital map which subsequently shows your position graphically on the map real time.

Hope this clears it up.

Saugus Boater

p.s. - i've got a Furuno gp 1650 wf. Chartplotter with built in fishfinder. Love it. Don't go out without it (and a nice bizer chart to back it up !).
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKENDER
I purchased a Standard Horizon CP180 with an internal antenna and I love it. The unit is not to small and not to large go to www.thegpsstore.com on line and check it out. You can't beat the price either.
Hey WKENDER, I am considering the cp180 as well, does the internal antenna have any limitations and can you connect an external as an option.

Also, can you or anyone else tell me what the difference is between NT+ version of C-Map's cartridge and the MAX version of C-Map's? Has the NT version been replaced by the max?
Thanks
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
WKENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset
Hey WKENDER, I am considering the cp180 as well, does the internal antenna have any limitations and can you connect an external as an option.

Also, can you or anyone else tell me what the difference is between NT+ version of C-Map's cartridge and the MAX version of C-Map's? Has the NT version been replaced by the max?
Thanks

Nauset I have not had any issues with the CP180 with the internal antenna, and you can not connect an external to this model. They make a CP180i that has an external antenna for the same amount of money. If you go to Bizers Maps they have a link that you can check to see what units there cartridges with the pre-loaded maps fit.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Dave R

As far as Winnipesuakee is concerned, I have noticed no difference between the NT+ chip I used to own and the MAX chip I have now. The MAX chip I have is very handy on the ocean (it contains every chart from the Bay of Fundy to Barnegat Bay NJ) and also came with the NY State canal system, Lake George, Hudson River, Squam Lake, and quite a few other places.

MAX features like real time currents and such can be very handy in Portsmouth Harbor and at the mouth of the Merrimack River where conditions can get ugly during certain tide/wind/wave combinations.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Nauset

Thanks for the info. I checked the SH website and it looks like the cp180 will accept the NT and Max version. It sounds like the Max is the way to go. Do you have a lighter connection for power or did you wire it in somewhere?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
WKENDER

I wired mine back to spare accessory on my fuse panel block. These units need to be wireddirect they do not come ready for a lighter connection. Good luck I know you will not be dissapointed.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
Nauset

I think I read in another thread where a guy wired his to a lighter plug he purchased at Radio Shack to allow for quick removal and transfer to a different boat.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I checked the SH website and it looks like the cp180 will accept the NT and Max version. It sounds like the Max is the way to go. Do you have a lighter connection for power or did you wire it in somewhere?
My SH CP155C is hard wired.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
ThePlut

Default cig lighter plug

I have a Navman 5500i (which I like very much, and the current model is 5505i I think you can still get them).

I did the wiring through a cigarette plug until I had time to hardwire it. It does work.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
Bizer

Quote:
... It sounds like the Max is the way to go. ...
Bizer's chart of Winnipesaukee is identical on the NT+ and MAX chips. The NT+ version only has Bizer’s charts of Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam. The MAX version has other bodies of water as well. The NT+ version is less expensive, but is being phased out. Five years from now, you may not be able to purchase Bizer's Winnipesaukee in NT+ format.

Without space satellites, chartplotters would not be possible. Today is the 50th anniversary of the first man-made satellite, Sputnik. Those of us over 60, remember how much it changed our lives overnight.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
PaulS

Default Standard Horizon vs. Garmin

Stuart,

I know on your web site, you have both cmap chips and chips for Garmin GPS. In your opinion, which is better? And which Garmin models have you tested with?

Thanks.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
... I know on your web site, you have both cmap chips and chips for Garmin GPS. In your opinion, which is better? And which Garmin models have you tested with? ...
Your questions should be answered here. If not, email me directly at Stewart@bizer.com and I shall clarify
http://www.bizer.com/jrfaq.htm Bizer's FAQ page
http://www.bizer.com/garmin Bizer's Garmin page. Look for Garmin model numbers in bold type.
http://www.bizer.com/jrgps.htm Bizer's GPS page. See the 2nd paragraph about Garmin.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
PaulS

Default I should have looked there first

Stuart,

I reviewed your web site after I posted, I should have known you would have things well covered. I'll go with the c-map chip & the Standard Horizon CP-180.

Thanks.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote