Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Bonehead harassing Loons

Not all boneheads are in power boats. In our small cove we have two loons and a chick that is approx 3 weeks old. Last night a woman in a 2 person yellow Kayak with a large dog in the front seat very deliberately paddled between the adult loons, then circled around them and then went back in between, all at a distance of 3 to 10 feet. The male adult squawked and screamed to divert the kayaker, who was completely obvlious to the commotion and the stress she and the dog had created. After about 2 minutes of this my guests and I yelled at her and told her to leave the loons alone. She replied very defensively that "I'm only trying to take a picture" and then circled around again. The mother and chick swam away and the male continued his effort to draw the threat away from the chick. We continued to scold the kayaker and she then went right over to the mother and chick, circled them again and then slowly paddled to the end of the cove. The loons calmed down in about half an hour.

How could anyone be so stupid and so insensitive?

Last edited by Fishy Cover; 08-03-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
joann721

Default Bonehead

I am a firm believer that you can educate the ignorant... but YOU CANT FIX STUPID !

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Next time,why don't you jump in your power boat and circle HER a few times to get a picture......at about 1/2 plane...
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
ITD

Pictures will probably show up in photopost.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
kjbathe

Default Disappointing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover
"I'm only trying to take a picture"
Then leave the dog at home and buy a zoom lens...

We were anchored a few weeks ago and a mother loon with chick came swimming by about 30 feet off our stern. I was surprised that they came so close! What a treat to see the little chick with a total body size about the same as the mother's head. The mother was diving to the bottom for food and would float right back up in front of the chick to feed it. We were concerned when we lost track of the chick after a rather large wake came in and the mother seemed to be scanning the shoreline in search of it. After such a treat we wondered if we had just seen a tragedy and maybe the baby loon had been washed up against the rocks. The mother called out twice, but stayed in place for about 30 minutes just scanning the shore. And we stayed quietly in the boat while she was there. Then we were relieved when we saw this tiny little head poke up from underneath the mother's wing. Neat stuff.

But the point is... Loons should always get the right of the way and courtesy of at least the 150' rule.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
wildwoodfam

Angry I'd have called the Marine Patrol....

It is illegal to harrass the loons on any lake in NH! At least that is my understanding...as they are a protected species!! After I called the MP I would have gone out in my boat and chased them out of the cove...

This is the SECOND brainless move published on this forum pulled off by a Kayaker in ONE WEEK!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I totally agree, FC. I, too, want to know how so many people are so stupid and insensitive! I saw the same thing happen this morning only the person had TWO dogs big in the front of the canoe and would not leave them alone despite the wild cries by the parent loon!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe
Then leave the dog at home and buy a zoom lens...

We were anchored a few weeks ago and a mother loon with chick came swimming by about 30 feet off our stern. I was surprised that they came so close! What a treat to see the little chick with a total body size about the same as the mother's head. The mother was diving to the bottom for food and would float right back up in front of the chick to feed it. We were concerned when we lost track of the chick after a rather large wake came in and the mother seemed to be scanning the shoreline in search of it. After such a treat we wondered if we had just seen a tragedy and maybe the baby loon had been washed up against the rocks. The mother called out twice, but stayed in place for about 30 minutes just scanning the shore. And we stayed quietly in the boat while she was there. Then we were relieved when we saw this tiny little head poke up from underneath the mother's wing. Neat stuff.

But the point is... Loons should always get the right of the way and courtesy of at least the 150' rule.
They definitely should have left the loons alone, but I can't believe anyone is so stupid to bring a dog out with them to get photos. Talk about irritation. The loon would definitely think of the dog as a predator. Large wakes around the loons always make us nervous or when they go down we wonder how they know not to come up in front of a boat. Especially since we see many in the open bay by Blanchard Island where it tends to get choppy from boats moving fast between the two no wake zones, the PWC that come out of Raul's and tempt fate all the time as if no one else can use that part of the lake and the waterskiiers that use the open water.

We had the same experience as you, kjbathe, last year we were out in our canoe going around some islands and just enjoying the day when up popped a mom and baby loon. We decided we might be near their nesting place so we'd leave. LOL, we kept paddling faster as they kept coming closer. They followed our canoe for quite a distance sometimes making it within 15' of us. I kept telling my husband I didn't want to be called in for harrassement. It was almost the other way around. It seemed no matter what direction we headed the pair stuck with us.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
WINDinmySOCKIES

Angry

I can't believe how uneducated people are. Please visit www.loon.org and perhaps become a member.

If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to sleep with a mosquito..........Anita Roddick
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
EricP

Default I saw the youngster last weekend

My wife and I came through Fish Cove last weekend and saw the young loon. I was excited to see him/her! We were on our SeaDoos and we stayed way away as we didn't want to disturb or agitate them. I was exciting just to see them there. This women maddens me, and as someone else suggested she should get a zoom lense. I didn't realize it was illegal to harrass them, good to know and now that I do if I were to see that type of activity I would report immediatley then try to difuse the situation.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Default On the other hand

At Winnipesaukee, our loons are special. They wait till a power boat is almost upon them before diving down and avoiding a collision. They ignore dogs. Some even follow alongside a kayak or canoe. The kayaker in question here was just doing their part to start the training of these new Winni-loons. Desensitizing them to the life they have in store for them. We wouldn't want our new chicks to grow up never having seen a dog, then freaking out when they see one as an adult and taking up residence over at Squam.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
wildwoodfam

Question Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
At Winnipesaukee, our loons are special. They wait till a power boat is almost upon them before diving down and avoiding a collision. They ignore dogs. Some even follow alongside a kayak or canoe. The kayaker in question here was just doing their part to start the training of these new Winni-loons. Desensitizing them to the life they have in store for them. We wouldn't want our new chicks to grow up never having seen a dog, then freaking out when they see one as an adult and taking up residence over at Squam.
I'll say it again --- HUH!?!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Me thinks you're having your leg pulled

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam
I'll say it again --- HUH!?!

Hence the
Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
salukigirl

Call the patrol next time. It is illegal to come too close to the loons, especially if they individual enters a restricted habitat area.
salukigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #15
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam
It is illegal to harrass the loons on any lake in NH! At least that is my understanding...as they are a protected species!! After I called the MP I would have gone out in my boat and chased them out of the cove...This is the SECOND brainless move published on this forum pulled off by a Kayaker in ONE WEEK!
1) The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has yet to declare the loon threatened or endangered in the United States.

2) After poisoning by lead, the second largest cause of loon mortality is being struck by boats. What should be done to prevent all those evil kayaks from striking loons?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #16
salukigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
1) The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has yet to declare the loon threatened or endangered in the United States.
However, the common loon is on the New Hampshire list of Endangered and Threatened species/habitat.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...ts_species.htm

a quick google search also found several states that list the common loon as endangered and/or threatened including: IL, NY, MI, VT, MA. This is not a complete list, just what turned up on the first page of a google serach
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #17
wildwoodfam

Wink Thanks for the posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salukigirl
However, the common loon is on the New Hampshire list of Endangered and Threatened species/habitat.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...ts_species.htm

a quick google search also found several states that list the common loon as endangered and/or threatened including: IL, NY, MI, VT, MA. This is not a complete list, just what turned up on the first page of a google serach
I guess that's why I specifically mentioned NH in my post!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #18
Lin

There is also this link to an article that was in the Boston Globe this weekend.
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi..._for_ne_birds/
Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
s_c

Loon are some of the most beautiful things on the lake. Who would purposely irritates a family of loons.
s_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #20
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by salukigirl
However, the common loon is on the New Hampshire list of Endangered and Threatened species/habitat.http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...ts_species.htm a quick google search also found several states that list the common loon as endangered and/or threatened including: IL, NY, MI, VT, MA. This is not a complete list, just what turned up on the first page of a google serach
I agree. My Google search did the same.

1) Federal law already protects migratory birds against harm in New Hampshire through the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

2) The Feds haven't extended special protection for the Loon, so my previous comment is really a complaint.

Loons already face threats from lead poisoning, habitat destruction, acid lakes, and strikes by powerboats. Even in Massachusetts, Loons were plentiful in philosopher Henry David Thoreau's time.

What I haven't seen is which agency would do the enforcing of the Loon's threatened/protected status within New Hampshire. (Or if they would respond at all if called).

I found only Illinois will send their officers to ticket a Loon harasser, but would like to see similar enforcement in New Hampshire.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #21
salukigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second

What I haven't seen is which agency would do the enforcing of the Loon's threatened/protected status within New Hampshire. (Or if they would respond at all if called).

Our cabin is very near a loon habitat. Even though the cove is regulary blocked with rope and 'Loon Nesting - do not enter' signs, we often see curious or perhaps ignorant people try to enter the habitat area or use thier kyacks, canoes, power boats, etc to try and get a closer look of the loons.

On one occasion last summer we did call the lake patrol on a person entering the cove itself with a canoe...the patrol did send out a boat.

I have also seen on several occasions the patrol step in when they are near and notice people harressing the loons. Although, serious business, it was a little amusing to see a patrol boat with a bullhorn annoucing 'move back from the loons', move back from the loons.

I know the patrol has many more responabililties, but I do think they step in when they can.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
Merrymeeting

At least on Merrymeeting, our population seems stable. Just had another late-season birth earlier in the week. We're hoping he/she grows healthy enough before end of season to fly out.

Also have 1-2 successful teens from earlier in July hatching.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #23
islandAl

Default Need ID

From salkugirl "...people try to enter the habitat area or use thier kyacks, canoes..."
Good enough reason to require visible registration numbers. Maybe a portion of registration fee could be directed to the Audubon Society.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #24
Misty Blue

Default Lead sinkers

Several years ago the science students at Moultonborough Academy along with our state rep. got legislation passed making lead sinkers prohibited on NH inland waters. The law is in fill effect this year, I think.

Please tell your guests that fish to "get the lead out" of their tackle boxes.

Remember a loon doesn't know the difference between a lead sinker and a small stone (that they use for digestion). One sinker in a loon and in two weeks you have a dead duck!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #25
ITD

A picture of a loon and chick showed up in the Meredith news this week. I wonder if this is our bonehead??????
Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Couple years ago I saw the same thing happen to a deer swimming between islands, and a person in a boat trying to get to close causing the deer to panic. Wouldn't common sense say this is not a good idea? I swear some people have no clue, which scares me considering they are behind the wheel of a boat. The deer did make it to her destination no thanks to those yahoos.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #27
Lakegeezer

Default It may not be harassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
A picture of a loon and chick showed up in the Meredith news this week. I wonder if this is our bonehead??????
The adults and chicks don't always read the signs and stay where they are supposed to. I've had a mother with a chick on her back swim right next to my boat (while stopped) and was able to take plenty of amazing pictures. I didn't think I was harassing them and apparently neither did they. They aren't shy. They will tell you if you are bothering them, and then you can move away. What exactly do the laws say? Are the "keep out" signs a suggestion or are they backed up by law? What about a sign that remains long after the chicks are gone?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #28
Lin

Quote:
The adults and chicks don't always read the signs and stay where they are supposed to. I've had a mother with a chick on her back swim right next to my boat (while stopped) and was able to take plenty of amazing pictures. I didn't think I was harassing them and apparently neither did they. They aren't shy. They will tell you if you are bothering them, and then you can move away. What exactly do the laws say? Are the "keep out" signs a suggestion or are they backed up by law? What about a sign that remains long after the chicks are gone?
Basically what I'd mentioned earlier. We canoe a lot up around Green's all the way to just about Moultonborough bay and I can't believe how many loons pop up right near us. I've gotten lots of nice photos of loons and some with chicks. The loon with chicks that I have the most photos of seemed to be harrassing us because they kept following us for nearly half a mile or more. We were not within sight of any loon nesting area or sign for that matter. Out in the channels where regular motor boats and jet skis are allowed at the time I took the photos. (we usually take the canoe out only on weekdays cause of wave action unless we are headed to the Rock at Toltec pt for the kids to swim off so maybe they had no reason to be ducking under or acting defensively.) I have watched though many people "chase" loons for photos and that is one thing I would not do, especially considering I have a wildlife/park mangement and know better.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #29
Pineedles

Default Loon Chicks

I know most of the duck species have an average of 8 chicks. How many loon chicks are in thethe typical brood? I am on the porch writing this and my wife yelled up that there were a bunch of loon chicks passing by. Without my glasses I couldn't tell if they were a gaggle of geese or the lockness monster's humps. But if there were 8 I doubt they wee loons.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
I know most of the duck species have an average of 8 chicks. How many loon chicks are in thethe typical brood? I am on the porch writing this and my wife yelled up that there were a bunch of loon chicks passing by. Without my glasses I couldn't tell if they were a gaggle of geese or the lockness monster's humps. But if there were 8 I doubt they wee loons.
Usually no more than two chicks. Commorants and mergansers will have several chicks.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #31
ITD

Quote:
I too have had loons come within 5 feet while sitting on my dock, they actually seem quite curious. I've also seen them swim by under water, they move pretty fast. They also can be quite shy will let you know if you bother them by quickly swimming away. It's one thing to have them come up to you, it's quite different if they are making noise and you are chasing them in a boat or kayak/canoe to take a picture. When boating, I give them a wide berth when I see them, I figure I'm successful if they don't dive when I go by.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #32
NHKathy

I can't believe the lengths some people will go to in order to get closer to a Loon for a picture! I would think that if the Loon becomes agitated, it wouldn't be a very good picture anyway, right? Then the Loon would probably dive and swim away...
With the few Loon pics I have captured, I have been lucky enough to have been sitting on the dock when they come by. I usually will go out in the early AM, with my camera in hand, and just sit at the end of the dock - taking in the beautiful scenery and taking pictures (and I always hope a Loon will come by).
Last summer, one popped up right next to me: I had seen the loon a little ways down the shoreline, sat and waited for him to (hopefully) come closer, then I saw him swimming under the water, comming up right next to me! Of course, I'm trying to be as still as I can and slowly trying to raise my camera for a picture, but he swam away too quick - I still got a pretty close pic though!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...30&ppuser=1057
And this year, just 2 weeks ago, there was one floating around about 30 feet off the end of the dock, zoomed in and got a good pic with his wings out, but he must have been just "airing out" ? because he didn't fly off - he ended up hanging around a bit, then diving under eventually...
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...30&ppuser=1057
I just couldn't imagine "chasing" a Loon or in any way agitating one just to get a picture!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote