Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Navionics Chartplotter SD card-no more depths

Hi All,

Yesterday I was on the lake and noticed that I have no more depth numbers on the chartplotter-zero. No idea how much water is under the boat unless I look at the depth indicator on the Humminbird itself.

The Navionics card I have run since I bought my Humminbird 1197 new in 2009 along with this specific SD card worked like a champ all that time-until yesterday. It also covers a huge area of inland New England waters on one card-nice.

What I have specifically is "Navionics Hot Maps East (MSD/HM-E)".

Navionics told me this morning that they don't know why this happened (I don't believe them) but it could be the Humminbird (I don't believe them) or "other" reason.

He further stated that on some of the SD cards sold, they cut you off after a period of time by no longer providing depths "for the user's protection". Really? Again-let me be kind here-I did not believe them. What a load...

Shocking I know, their "solution" to this problem is to buy another card for $150.

It's this kind of marketing treachery that really aggravates me. Had they told me when I bought it it has a timer of sorts in it that will remove depth numbers I would not have bought it from them.

So I would like to ask-who uses what Make chartplotter cards that cover all of New England? Had any ugly surprises with it?

Any help is appreciated because at the moment I have no reason to buy again from them. Maybe I will maybe I won't but for now they lost me as a customer.

Thanks.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:28 AM   #2
Rich

This doesn't make sense to me at all.

Did you recently update the chart or any firmware on your chartplotter display?
Old 08-08-2023, 07:30 AM   #3
burgerunh

The depth should be coming from your transducer. Not something that is coming from your map chip. There are settings on what is displayed on your fishfinder/chartplotter. I would guess that either the setting somehow got changed or perhaps your transducer has failed after 14 years of use.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:31 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default No Issues Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Hi All,

Yesterday I was on the lake and noticed that I have no more depth numbers on the chartplotter-zero. No idea how much water is under the boat unless I look at the depth indicator on the Humminbird itself.

The Navionics card I have run since I bought my Humminbird 1197 new in 2009 along with this specific SD card worked like a champ all that time-until yesterday. It also covers a huge area of inland New England waters on one card-nice.

What I have specifically is "Navionics Hot Maps East (MSD/HM-E)".

Navionics told me this morning that they don't know why this happened (I don't believe them) but it could be the Humminbird (I don't believe them) or "other" reason.

He further stated that on some of the SD cards sold, they cut you off after a period of time by no longer providing depths "for the user's protection". Really? Again-let me be kind here-I did not believe them. What a load...

Shocking I know, their "solution" to this problem is to buy another card for $150.

It's this kind of marketing treachery that really aggravates me. Had they told me when I bought it it has a timer of sorts in it that will remove depth numbers I would not have bought it from them.

So I would like to ask-who uses what Make chartplotter cards that cover all of New England? Had any ugly surprises with it?

Any help is appreciated because at the moment I have no reason to buy again from them. Maybe I will maybe I won't but for now they lost me as a customer.

Thanks.
I have the exact same map / card and no issues have appeared yet. Bought my card about the same time you did...

Dan
Old 08-09-2023, 06:23 PM   #5
farechofisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
The depth should be coming from your transducer. Not something that is coming from your map chip. There are settings on what is displayed on your fishfinder/chartplotter. I would guess that either the setting somehow got changed or perhaps your transducer has failed after 14 years of use.
Burgerunh, I think his transducer works, it's the superimposed topo map lines and depths that are missing I'm guessing. The numbers he is looking for are; what is the depth a quarter mile ahead and all around your position. I have heard of this with some of these chips. I have a very old Navionics chip that works really well, so I'm not sure on what they did with yours. Just curious if there might be a setting (there are a ton of them) that would remove those superimposed depth numbers and topo lines? Wish you luck.
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2023, 02:29 PM   #6
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Hi All,

I will go into the settings once on the water again to check what may have happened. Generally speaking once I have the unit set to what works for me and what I need to do I leave it alone. Once in a while under special circumstances-rare though-I do change settings then set them back the way they were.

- As to chart updates/firmware update I have done nothing since an "upgrade" quite a while ago that gave me DI-Down Imaging. H-Birds in the past, perhaps now still, had a nasty habit of bricking on you when an update was tried. Bricked means send it back to the factory for a factory re-set. Not sure that is still the case but it was enough for me to leave it alone unless I had a good reason to update the SW;

- As to Depth read-outs the chart provides depths that appear on the actual chart itself; the Transducer creates actual real-time depths that appears at the bottom of the screen under the boat regardless of whether I have a chart card inserted or not.

Thanks.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote