Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
sum-r breeze

Default Lots of chopper traffic

Hi Gang,
We were anchored off of Timber Island facing Governors and there was a helicopter running a search pattern all afternoon on Sunday. Does anyone have any input as to what they were looking for? We also noted more Marine Patrol boats crossing the NE side of Governors all day too.

Thanks in advance,
The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be Wavin' Back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
BBS2

Default us too

We noticed them too...at first we thought it might be Steve Miller coming in for Meadowbrook ...but then one flew low and close over the Gilford shoreline...W to E then back. Any news?
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Winnigirl

According to the NY Post, Presidential candidate John Edwards was in Moultonborough for vacation this past week or so. Maybe he was taking an ariel tour?
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
jetskier

Default Just What We Need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl
According to the NY Post, Presidential candidate John Edwards was in Moultonborough for vacation this past week or so. Maybe he was taking an ariel tour?
Presidential candidates causing a stir at the lake. Someone tell them that Concord is to the south...way to the south.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

The president of France is supposed to arrive-rumor has it today. However, it doesn't seem like there would be helicopters Sunday by Gov. Island for a Wolfeboro visit today. ????
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Kamper

The crews and security teams could be familiarising themelves with the area and running response drills.

'Nuff said?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
Dave R

Sure they weren't just left over from bike week? There's countless choppers around then
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
boat_guy64

Default It makes sense

On Sunday, a chopper made several landings at the old airstrip in Wolfeboro. It was a large chopper (not what I normally see flying around the lake) I was in Winter harbor and saw it land twice. They could have been scouting around ahead of the French President's visiit.

I just thought is was someone really rich looking to build the next McMansion up on the old strip.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
sum-r breeze

Default Goodfellas ?

I was feeling kind of like Henry Hill in "Good Fellas" All those Feds spying on us.....Just what we need a US Politician AND a French Politician at the Lake at the same time! Thanks for the warning.
All the best,
The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be waving back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64
On Sunday, a chopper made several landings at the old airstrip in Wolfeboro. It was a large chopper (not what I normally see flying around the lake) I was in Winter harbor and saw it land twice. They could have been scouting around ahead of the French President's visiit. I just thought is was someone really rich looking to build the next McMansion up on the old strip.
The big chopper (green and white) made a half-dozen trips last week, landing each time. At the very same time, a small black (or very dark blue) chopper on skids (with gold zig-zag trim) made several "recons", circling nearby while the big chopper was in the air. Each time, the smaller chopper arrived and departed from a north direction, while the big chopper's flights were east-west.

I see a strong case for President Sarkozy's visit and security. The Boston Globe probably shouldn't have publicized the visit by Sarcozy.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #11
tis

We rode by in the boat yesterday. They had the big US Coast Guard ship and a little aluminum boat with a pole sticking up in the middle (radar, ?) We didn't get close enought to see, didn't think it would be a good idea. Also another MP boat was coming in.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
Kamper

Default Can we give him Freedom Fries?

Here's something in the "Union Leader."

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...5-88baafbdce64

France's president to stay at Lake Winnipesaukee estate
By ROGER AMSDEN
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

WOLFEBORO – French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who will be spending at least two weeks vacationing here, will be staying at a 23,000-square-foot lakeside manor on 62 acres at Springfield Point, just over the Alton-Wolfeboro town line off from Route 28. ...
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #13
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
a 23,000-square-foot lakeside manor
Sounds quaint
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #14
wildwoodfam

Wink Are you kidding??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
The Boston Globe probably shouldn't have publicized the visit by Sarcozy.
How do you think they sell papers?? If the French president vacationing in NH is not interesting news for the this region - WHAT IS?! Not that I would go rushing over to Wolfeboro - actually I will avoid it at all costs for the next two weeks - I cannot even begin to imagine the traffice issue if he decided to go out for dinner! Still it is good to know that he is here - and that folks, dignataries, etc are still interested in spending their foreign dollars here in the USA and feel that it is a safe tourist destination!!

Now - if Wolfeboro's town beaches start attracting thong and speedo wearin' 50 - 70 year old French folks - then my attitude MIGHT change!! Although - Tony Soprano (from a previous thread) might enjoy!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #15
tis

You know, I don't think it is really much of a problem for most of us living here. We pretty much leave these people alone. I heard he went out to dinner (rumor only) in Wolfeboro the other night and I don't think there was much fanfare. I think most people are curious and look from a distance, but that's it.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #16
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
You know, I don't think it is really much of a problem for most of us living here. We pretty much leave these people alone. I heard he went out to dinner (rumor only) in Wolfeboro the other night and I don't think there was much fanfare. I think most people are curious and look from a distance, but that's it.
I agree..and Wolfeboro has and has had it's share of high profile people. I don't recall any stories in the papers of fans mobbing them or papparazi problems. Would anyone even recognize Sarkozy if they saw him out to dinner anyway..probably not. It's the security and his entourage that draws attention ( of course the security is needed). What I'm wondering is who's footing the bill for the MP to be stationed in the cove 24/7 for the next two weeks, and is that one less MP officer on the lake to be available for us regular folk?? Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #17
webmaster

Thanked 3,729 Times in 825 Posts
Default Romney "almost invisible"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
Boston Globe Article.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Romney Mixes with the Locals

Boston Globe Article HERE...
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote