Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
Rich

Thumbs up Navionics+ on the lake

I have to say, I didn't expect results like this.

I have a GPS that uses a Navionics chip for a chart of the lake. Last year I got an update using this product: http://www.navionics.com/en/navionics-plus (you can find these chips at a discount online).

Looking on line at their web app: http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en as well as looking on my GPS chartplotter, I noticed a marker/light that appeared to be in the wrong place (Light #55 was previously on top of a dock instead of in the proper place in the channel).

Since I go by that light every time I leave my dock, I thought I'd contact Navionics and see if they would listen to me. I didn't expect much.

Being a large company, I thought that they would not care about our lake, after all, the majority of their customers must be on the ocean, not on our lake.

They took the report, and would you believe it, just four business days later I received an email that they fixed the problem and that they updated their charts!

I can now update my chip for my GPS and it too will be corrected. Wow that's fast service.

From now on, when/if I find anything not correct on my charts, I'm going to contact them and let them know! I was very impressed, quick fast service, and both online charts as well as their downloadable data will be updated! This will help all users on the lake. I couldn't ask for better service!

If needed, you can find their "Report Cartography problems" link here: http://www.navionics.com/en/customers
This has separate links to report problems with either their GPS charts or with their mobile app.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-07-2015), Winni P (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Phantom

Renews your faith in Large Companies !!

Others are simply "Press 1 for English"..................... Please hold for the next available agent ............. Your current wait time is 6 days, 45 minutes
(sorry that just slipped out.....me bad )

Old 05-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Rich

It sure does! I was impressed when I dialed in, didn't have too long a wait (I was third in line) and the person spoke American English when they answered the phone! I then received an email from the person that I spoke to (Thanks Jennifer!).

She then told me I could make a report online easliy, but since I was already on the phone she took the info from me on the phone.

I'd like to suggest that EVERYONE that uses Navionics in their GPS, Smartphone, iPad, Android or other device on the lake to call in or use their web interface to provide Navionics with update information every time you see something that looks wrong or may need an update. This will help all of us!

It was nice to be able to use their web app http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en to confirm the updated information.

Heck, if you have a favorite part of the lake that you are intimately familliar with, please use their web app to zoom in and check the area. If you see something 'off', send them a report. Feel free to reply here with your findings and after it was fixed (or not).

Unfortunately my GPS chartplotter is older (about 10 years old), so it can't make use of their 'community edits' feature, but this is an automated way to upload your personal depth readings of the lake direclty to them. This seems like such a great feature, if I was a fisherman, I'd consider updating my equipment. Normally I only worry about hitting things, not trying to find the best fishing holes.

If everyone that had a GPS (with combined depth sonar) that used the Navionics charts uploaded their data to them, we could have updated bottom contours for the lake. I don't know if there are many currents in the lake that cause the bottom contour to change much (I would think not), but having user updated data of the bottom contours sure sounds interesting, doesn't it?