Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
BiggieBoatBoomSkies

Default Recommendations for Catering?

While planning my parents' 25th Anniversary party, I thought I'd turn to my favorite source for Lakes Region information.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good caterer or the like willing to do a small party? The problem I kept running into is that we would like to do buffet-style, and most venues who also do food have a minimum number of people required that we cannot meet. Now we are looking into food and venues separately (I wouldn't say no to some suggestions for that as well.)

We would also like the caterer to be willing to go outside the box a little with the menu. A few of our guests are health-conscious, and one is a serious Vegan. So one of the main dishes would have to be no meat, no fish, no dairy, no egg, and preferably organic. I know, tall order huh?

Oh and this would be in the Meredith/Laconia/Gilford area. Thanks so much for any information possible!
BiggieBoatBoomSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Irrigation Guy

Default Kevins Cafe

Had a meal for a small birthday party of 12 prepared by Kevin and it was great. He was very accommodating and reduced his prices according to the number of people we were serving. We did serve it buffet style, but we picked it up.

Give him a call and see what he thinks.

http://www.kevinscafe.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieBoatBoomSkies View Post
While planning my parents' 25th Anniversary party, I thought I'd turn to my favorite source for Lakes Region information.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good caterer or the like willing to do a small party? The problem I kept running into is that we would like to do buffet-style, and most venues who also do food have a minimum number of people required that we cannot meet. Now we are looking into food and venues separately (I wouldn't say no to some suggestions for that as well.)

We would also like the caterer to be willing to go outside the box a little with the menu. A few of our guests are health-conscious, and one is a serious Vegan. So one of the main dishes would have to be no meat, no fish, no dairy, no egg, and preferably organic. I know, tall order huh?

Oh and this would be in the Meredith/Laconia/Gilford area. Thanks so much for any information possible!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Meredith lady

Default catering..

We cater to ALL events and occasions..big or small. More than willing to work "outside the box". We can (and do) all food allergies...plus gluten free and vegan. We can deliver, send a server, or you can pick it up. Call Kevin or Laura at 603-253-7513. Thanks!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
trfour

We also have an very elaborate Restaurant section, at your very fingertip's!

T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Lake Lady 6

Default Catering Recommendations

Try Annie's on Union Ave., Laconia, NH. It is in the Gables strip mall next to Cantin Chevrolet.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Shedwannabe

We used a local restaurant that was a very nice deal...until the end. They took away the substantial amount of unused food we had paid for and were planning to have over the next few days. They blandly said "it was standard practice" to take all the food. Not happy at the result. So get totally clear on what the catering involves and whether you or they has rights to the unused food.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Heaven

I have often wondered that myself -- does the food served belong to the client or is there some reason it typically is carted off? The once or twice I have seen food kept, the client has had forethought to bring containers for leftovers. I can almost believe there is a liability/health issue, but I'd love to know the answer to this?
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Caterers always bring way more food than is needed to a buffet so that they will avoid the embarrassment of running out of food.They also will change out an item that is getting low so that nothing gets down to the last scrap which looks pretty bad if you are the last person through.
They have back ups all heated and ready to go if needed and if they are not,they go back with the caterer.
Remember.....you are paying per meal served,not all you can take home with you.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Shedwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
No, you are paying per meal ordered, not served. If more guests show up, you have to pay more, but if less guests show up, you don't get a refund. We had one group that didn't come due to illness, and another who left before the reception (and actually a third who "took a nap" and missed the meal), so there was plenty of food we had paid for and not used.

Not sure how you can figure it belongs to the caterers when I paid for it and didn't use it at time of serving.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Caterers always bring way more food than is needed to a buffet so that they will avoid the embarrassment of running out of food.They also will change out an item that is getting low so that nothing gets down to the last scrap which looks pretty bad if you are the last person through.
They have back ups all heated and ready to go if needed and if they are not,they go back with the caterer.
And I can understand that, but I would think that the extra brought would be reflected in the price per meal as part of the cost of doing the party . . . I mean . . . it's all cooked mostly and ready to go out at the party, what the heck do the caterers do with it when they take it back? The only thing I can think of is take it home as part of their own personal meals, which might make sense if this is so. Surely, it can't be SOLD unless it has not been prepared for meal service? For SURE, if it has been out on a platter at the party (say cold cuts for instance, or "changed" out as you say) it cannot be resold!??
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
GsChinadoll

Default Liability

My husband is a chef and we do catering. The usual reason the food is taken back or disposed of on site is one of liability. A caterer has no control over how food temperature is maintained, stored etc. once he/she has left the hall or party. If someone should get sick after leaving the food out too long or in their car, then there is a chance of them being blamed for any "sickness" that develops.
A professional caterer should have a form that would be signed if any food is to be left behind after breaking down a party if that is what you would like. Sadly, nowadays everything has to be in writing.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

That was my next point GsChinadoll.....the cater knows what temps to hold,store and serve food .The customer does not.You can bet that if someone got a foodbourne illness ,due to improper handling that they would sue the caterer in a flash.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
Rag Top Daze

Default My recommendation

Curt's Caterer, LLC did a great job for our party last summer. I'd use them again!
http://www.curtscaterers.com/Welcome.html

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Meredith lady

Default Curts is awesome

Curts catering is really good..shop around and ask questions!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Natt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
Curts catering is really good..shop around and ask questions!
Our daughter's wedding (150 guests) was held at our house and Curt's Catering
did an exceptional job. From assisting in the planning to cleaning up well when they left, not to mention the wonderful dinner in between. We speak very highly of them.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt View Post
Our daughter's wedding (150 guests) was held at our house and Curt's Catering
did an exceptional job. From assisting in the planning to cleaning up well when they left, not to mention the wonderful dinner in between. We speak very highly of them.
ANOTHER second for Curt's. I've had chances to be at events catered by them for 20 and up to 300 attendees.

As with any service, ask about retaining the leftovers or them removing.
I've seen it both ways!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Alec Ray

of The Common Man chain does an excellent job of catering. From a dozen to hundreds! He catered to my 25th high school reunion, a lobster feast that can't be beat!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
BiggieBoatBoomSkies

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful Recommendations. I've got quite a list now to research, and this has helped me narrow my search to the best options.
BiggieBoatBoomSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Breakwater

Default Can't beat Contigiani's Catering in Laconia

I have been to numerous functions catered by Contigianis. They do several jobs a year on islands, as well as homes around the lake. They also have a large function hall and a smaller, more intimate, room. I have been to Christmas Parties and weddings that they have done with groups as small as 12-15, to 1000+. Food is always delicious, hot, and plenty of it.
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote