Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
rick35

Default Sound travels at night

Sometime after midnight (wife says close to 1am) I was awakened from a sound sleep by the roar of a very loud boat passing between Bear and Mark at full throttle. I have to say it was very unsettling and in that first waking moment all I could think of was is this guy going to crash into my camp. I kept listening for the crash until after he was gone. It was that loud.

We have always taught our kids that we need to be more quiet at night when sound carries and to be respectful of our neighbors. Apparently other parents didn't share that idea with their children. That doesn't even take into consideration what happened on Diamond Island a few weeks ago. That thought was very much in my mind until the boat was past.

Some people don't get it and never will.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Sometime after midnight (wife says close to 1am) I was awakened from a sound sleep by the roar of a very loud boat passing between Bear and Mark at full throttle. I have to say it was very unsettling and in that first waking moment all I could think of was is this guy going to crash into my camp. I kept listening for the crash until after he was gone. It was that loud.

We have always taught our kids that we need to be more quiet at night when sound carries and to be respectful of our neighbors. Apparently other parents didn't share that idea with their children. That doesn't even take into consideration what happened on Diamond Island a few weeks ago. That thought was very much in my mind until the boat was past.

There are no laws on the books saying boats can't travel at night but I'm sure that's on someone's agenda. There are noise and decible laws however. Consider yourself lucky if this is the first time you've been woken up at night by a boat. With the new law going into effect it's going to take twice as long for that boat to go by your camp, yay!! As H20 fronters we're all vulnerable to boats smashing into our shores, yards, camps however the chance of that happening is relatively low. You're in more danger driving up to your camp on a Friday in the summer. My husband and I run a fan in our bedroom at night, the white noise usually blocks our neighbors who's favorite time of day to be noisy is usually any time after 11 pm. Try this it might work. I agree some people don't get it and never will. Do what you can within the boundaries of the law and maybe some accomodations within your own home can help the situation. Good Luck!!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
wildwoodfam

Wink Have to agree with KC on this one....

Lakefront has its privileges and its drawbacks - though the drawbacks are VERY few in comparison. One is noises on the lake late night. If this is the first time you've been awakened then consider yourself lucky - or maybe this is your first season, in that case get used to it! Not everyone takes into account how their actions directly or indirectly impact others - thats reality. Noise machines, an airconditioner, or fan (like KC said), work best at masking the sounds of the lake. I am sure there are those who will argue and say that somehow it is within their rights to not be disturbed...and I am not disagreeing with you, only trying to offer a suggestion if our friend is a light sleeper.

I prefer the sounds of the lake over a fan, ac or anything - and on occassion, will be jarred out of bed by the sounds of a large boat with a noisy engine. (AGENDA??) Nope, I wish my 20 foot runabout had the capability of noises like the bigger guys but in reality it doesn come close - though it would sure enable me to get back at my neighors every now and then...although I must admit having an infant in the camp during the summer - windows wide open and baby screaming at 4 or 5am sometimes just makes me smile, knowing the neighbors have probably just hit REM4 and were jarred awake! And at 5am - since I am up with the babies - I get in my boat with the baby and head off to get my cup a joe and morning news! Sorry if the dog barks incessantly as I leave her on the dock...that would drive me crazy!!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
Lakefront has its privileges and its drawbacks - though the drawbacks are VERY few in comparison. One is noises on the lake late night. If this is the first time you've been awakened then consider yourself lucky - or maybe this is your first season, in that case get used to it! Not everyone takes into account how their actions directly or indirectly impact others - thats reality. Noise machines, an airconditioner, or fan (like KC said), work best at masking the sounds of the lake. I am sure there are those who will argue and say that somehow it is within their rights to not be disturbed...and I am not disagreeing with you, only trying to offer a suggestion if our friend is a light sleeper.

I prefer the sounds of the lake over a fan, ac or anything - and on occassion, will be jarred out of bed by the sounds of a large boat with a noisy engine. (AGENDA??) Nope, I wish my 20 foot runabout had the capability of noises like the bigger guys but in reality it doesn come close - though it would sure enable me to get back at my neighors every now and then...although I must admit having an infant in the camp during the summer - windows wide open and baby screaming at 4 or 5am sometimes just makes me smile, knowing the neighbors have probably just hit REM4 and were jarred awake! And at 5am - since I am up with the babies - I get in my boat with the baby and head off to get my cup a joe and morning news! Sorry if the dog barks incessantly as I leave her on the dock...that would drive me crazy!!

I was saying I'm sure it's on SOMEONE'S agenda to ban boating at night, not pointing the finger at anyone in specific.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Kona, you are so right. When the new law takes effect the loud boats coming in slowly at night will drive us crazy. I remember a few years ago we had one that came in every single Sat. night very slowly, it took about 45 minutes. It woke the whole neighborhood up (well, many of us). Then they would dock, shut it off, then start it up again before stopping it. I think those that love the speed limit law are going to hate the noise. They will get what they asked for!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Coastal Laker

Default I'd like to see a rule change

There are a LOT of boaters who like the rumble of their high performance boats, who stay under the noise limit as they should, who would gladly dampen the noise at night if they could do it legally.

The state of NH made it illegal to have devices like Captain's Call or Silent Choice and the like. These allow you to switch the exhaust from rumbly to quiet. My boat had it but the MP's made me disable it (and I don't have a high performance boat by the way).

Some people who are forced to choose between loud or soft, go loud to keep the cool sounding rumble. Friends of mine without Captain's call wish they could have it so they could come into the marina quietly at night.

Why doesn't some representative propose a bill to change that? Why not let people quiet their boats down at night and be rumbly by day? Ugh. It makes no sense.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
rick35

Maybe I am lucky that this was the first time I was jolted awake by a passing boat. I've been on the lake for almost 30 years and a property owner for 16 and this was by far the loudest I've every heard.

I'm not suggesting that there should be some new law that regulates decibles but I'm sure there are some who would love to see one.

Another new sound I heard this week was the sound of blaring music playing from a boat pulling wakeboarders down a little from our camp. I guess we've been lucky that it hasn't caught on like it has other places. I've seen posts in other boating forums about people installing powerful sound systems in their boats and mounting big speakers in their wakeboard towers. I don't appreciate loud music in our neighborhood at home and its even worse at the lake. It goes against the very reason why the lake has been a special place.

Its really about courtesy and respect for other people around us. Unfortunately there less of it these days.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I must admit, I love the rumble of the boats too. Since there is a decibel law, I suppose that is the reason they have the law against the devices. MP couldn't tell if someone's boat could be above 82 because they switch to quiet when they see the MP.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
2Blackdogs

Quote:
I've seen posts in other boating forums about people installing powerful sound systems in their boats and mounting big speakers in their wakeboard towers. I don't appreciate loud music in our neighborhood at home and its even worse at the lake. It goes against the very reason why the lake has been a special place.

Its really about courtesy and respect for other people around us. Unfortunately there less of it these days.
Just hope the wakeboarder falls down a lot.

They always turn down the noise when THEY want to talk!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Maybe I am lucky that this was the first time I was jolted awake by a passing boat. I've been on the lake for almost 30 years and a property owner for 16 and this was by far the loudest I've every heard.

I'm not suggesting that there should be some new law that regulates decibles but I'm sure there are some who would love to see one.

Another new sound I heard this week was the sound of blaring music playing from a boat pulling wakeboarders down a little from our camp. I guess we've been lucky that it hasn't caught on like it has other places. I've seen posts in other boating forums about people installing powerful sound systems in their boats and mounting big speakers in their wakeboard towers. I don't appreciate loud music in our neighborhood at home and its even worse at the lake. It goes against the very reason why the lake has been a special place.

If the wakeboard boat in question was black and yellow it was ME. If it was the red, white and black Supra or any others it was not. And for the record our music is played just loud enough for the rider to hear, and is muted when the boat is stopped or driving but not towing. Been doing it in the same area for the last 4 years and never a complaint. We don't just drive around with music cranking, trying to be obnoxious. We are careful where we go, how close to shore and other boats we are, and are mindful of others enjoying their watersports as well. Actually we get a lot of thumbs up and waves from people watching the riders.

If you want to talk about lack of courtesy, how about all the boats in the area that have no idea of what 150' looks like??? Do you know how many times in the course of a weekend we have close calls, get cut off or just witness stupidity? A guy in a scarab on Saturday cruised by my boarder who was in the water waiting to be pulled at no more than 50' away. We yelled, blew the horn and "saluted" and he just smiled and drove on. Some of the residents on the island, just down from me, are offenders. Maybe you???

As far as a particularly loud boat that night, I was awake and by a campfire at that time and do not recall anything out of the ordinary. Night traffic in general has been almost non-existent lately, and with the stepped-up MP patrols in the area due to a few phone calls it has been more peaceful lately.

Any music requests? Maybe "Who let the dogs out?" in honor of the concentrated trolling efforts recently of 2BD?

Last edited by codeman671; 07-06-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: forgot to pay tribute to everyones favorite troll
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
rick35

Wasn't me. Even with fewer boaters out there seem to be as many knuckleheads who have no respect for the 150 foot rule. I always stay way away from anyone pulling a tube or skiier. You never know when the rider might go down and even 150 feet is not enough.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
VtSteve

Same here this weekend, with the gorgeous weather. Every idiot within 100 miles had to be here. SOS though.

1) Too Close, Waaaaay too close for comfort
2) Tubting, even wakeboarding between anchored boats in beach area in about 6' of water

3) Some idiot in a GSBL (go slow be loud) boat, racing two PWC's FROM THE BEACH

4) Police boat stopped a PWC, no issues I saw, and a dinghy in the beach area. After 45 minutes total, police boat took off never to be seen again.

5) Large cruisers making larger waves, too close

6) One GFBL boat going waaaaaay too fast and too close in the bay.

7) Many smaller boats refusing to change their straight line course (center of channel) regardless of whether there was a blowboat or another boat towing someone on a tube.

Police CG presence? I'd give them an F overall for the busiest weekend of the year. Laws broken? Too many to count.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
Bear Islander

Rick35

That boat went between Bear and Pine Islands as well. There has been a boat doing this for years. Usually Friday or Saturday nights between midnight and 2 AM. Very load and very fast, I wait to hear if he will hit the no wake marker, but he never does. Either very lucky or good night vision.

The old marker has a big metal thing that got hit real bad. The newer one is much lighter and will do less damage.

And he ALWAYS goes by south to north.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Rick35

That boat went between Bear and Pine Islands as well. There has been a boat doing this for years. Usually Friday or Saturday nights between midnight and 2 AM. Very load and very fast, I wait to hear if he will hit the no wake marker, but he never does. Either very lucky or good night vision.

The old marker has a big metal thing that got hit real bad. The newer one is much lighter and will do less damage.

And he ALWAYS goes by south to north.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for the MP to wait for. Have you phoned in the boat's coordinates and MO?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
codeman671

I did notice that someone hit the red/white spar at the tip of Bear this weekend, either Friday or Saturday night. The top was almost sliced off. I know my stereo did not do that
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Sounds like an ideal candidate for the MP to wait for. Have you phoned in the boat's coordinates and MO?
The MP were around the NWZ last night blue lighting a few boats. But over night I think there is only one boat on duty.

I wonder if he will do it next year? It will be harder to get away with if he is breaking the law all the time instead of just busting the zone.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
B R

Isn't he already breaking the law? Sounds like he's going through no wake zones without slowing down; probably going too fast for conditions already. What will the speed limit do?

I'll take a guess that he'll still be doing this next year.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R View Post
Isn't he already breaking the law? Sounds like he's going through no wake zones without slowing down; probably going too fast for conditions already. What will the speed limit do?

I'll take a guess that he'll still be doing this next year.
Yes he is breaking the law now, but only at one place on the lake. He may be easier to catch when is breaking the law all over the lake.

By next year I should have an infrared camera with motion detection isolated on the NWZ. Then I can email his picture to the MP.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
KonaChick

Quote:
Yes he is breaking the law now, but only at one place on the lake. He may be easier to catch when is breaking the law all over the lake.

By next year I should have an infrared camera with motion detection isolated on the NWZ. Then I can email his picture to the MP.
How do you know he'll be breaking the law all over the lake next year. You've witnessed him buzzing through the NWZ so you know he's broken that law but what other law has he broken besides that and how do you know he'll be breaking it next year. Have fun with boats going 25 mph or less by your house each night next summer...hopefully you're a night owl.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #20
brk-lnt

Quote:

Choose wisely, most "motion detection" cameras work horribly outdoors and will trigger many false alarms.

Get something with a decent cut filter and adjustable imager settings and you should get some good shots with just the moonlight. You'll likely want at least D1/4CIF resolution as well. Megapixel would be good, but probably not strickly necessary.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R View Post
Isn't he already breaking the law? Sounds like he's going through no wake zones without slowing down; probably going too fast for conditions already. What will the speed limit do? I'll take a guess that he'll still be doing this next year.
Next year, BI's night-time offender will be identified by an unseen officer with radar.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
VtSteve

Quote:
The MP were around the NWZ last night blue lighting a few boats. But over night I think there is only one boat on duty.

I wonder if he will do it next year? It will be harder to get away with if he is breaking the law all the time instead of just busting the zone.
First off, I agree with the original theme of the thread, which is common courtesy, where the heck is it? We had a few of those types on Winni many, many years ago, most areas do.

BI, what the heck? He runs nightly at high speed and very loud through a NWZ and you're wondering if he'll do it next year? I guess you're saying the enforcement is so lacking that you need to be breaking a law everywhere to occasionally get the perp? I'd be far more worried, and very annoyed, about someone doing that in a NWZ than someone going 50 mph at night. Different breed of arrogant.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #23
Bear Islander

Quote:
First off, I agree with the original theme of the thread, which is common courtesy, where the heck is it? We had a few of those types on Winni many, many years ago, most areas do.

BI, what the heck? He runs nightly at high speed and very loud through a NWZ and you're wondering if he'll do it next year? I guess you're saying the enforcement is so lacking that you need to be breaking a law everywhere to occasionally get the perp? I'd be far more worried, and very annoyed, about someone doing that in a NWZ than someone going 50 mph at night. Different breed of arrogant.
The NWZ was created because of congestion in a narrow passage. There are probably no boats in the NWZ when he goes through at 1 or 2 am. And it's not every night, just now and then on weekends. I'm not saying it's OK. I would love it if the MP were waiting for him when he came through some night.

I have the MP on my scanner. Every hour each boat out reports their location. That time of night it's usually one boat on a large lake.

All in all the guys that really get me are the ones that follow behind you when your tubing. That is world class stupid, yet legal if he is back 150'. It doesn't happen often, but once is to many.

Steve it seems boats busting a NWZ gets you angry. If so don't live next to a NWZ.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #24
VtSteve

Quote:
Steve it seems boats busting a NWZ gets you angry. If so don't live next to a NWZ.

I don't, but you do. Yes, busting a NWZ irritates me. I guess I'm just still stuck in the past with what you claimed irritated you, not the recent proclamations as to what you're really concerned about. Yes, congestion sucks, we all have to deal with it somehow. I hate the boneheads. I hate boats cutting me off, and those that are way too close. Boats following those with tubers or skiers also bother me.

But I do state what I mean, and do not obfuscate the message, nor do I mislead the reader. I try to focus on real issues and try to participate in solving them. One of the very first things I would have done over there, is push hard for years for increased MP funding, not more laws. But then again, I addressed the problems stated, not hidden agendas.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
Dave R

Quote:
It's really not nearly as bad as people would have you think. Winnipesaukee is a very polite and low-key place to boat. We truly are spoiled.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
2Blackdogs

Because we expect too much of our boaters?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #27
Jeti

We're just talkin' about the future
Forget about the past
It'll always be with us
It's never gonna die, never gonna die

Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution
Rock 'n' roll ain't gonna die
Rock 'n' roll ain't no pollution
Rock 'n' roll is just rock 'n' roll
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #28
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Any music requests? Maybe "Who let the dogs out?" in honor of the concentrated trolling efforts recently of 2BD?
"Trolling" was best described as a poster who joins a cat-lover's forum then proceeds to say, "I love driving over cats".

I'm opposed to anybody driving over the rights of others to the detriment of a full enjoyment of Winni's natural attributes or to driving over any other boater, for that matter. AND cats.

The "150-rule" was not the best way to deflect your own contribution to the noise level.

Especially on weekends, Winni's high noise level can impact on-shore telephone use, ordinary conversations, those asleep, those listening to music, nature, or just listening to the wind in the pines. Not to mention the noise level that can impact boating emergencies, sounded signals, the sounds of warnings, cries for help, telephoning for help, and the hampering of an actual boating rescue or capsize.

"Driving over others" includes those who are so intolerant of others that they still use switchable exhaust among their neighbors, throw wine bottles in the lake, and turn up the stereo to play "Who let the Dogs Out". Expect a post from me when those who think their personal concept of boating does not "impact" other boaters or lake residents.

KC, Winni's boating is entirely recreational in nature, but can have serious consequences. "Driving up to your cottage" is not recreational in nature.

Coastal Laker, for every marina you should enter with "Captain's Call" at the appropriate setting, there are thousands of Winni residents asleep.

All the above was brought to mind by stumbling across the site www.rottenneighbors.com.

Who might be the next Winni boater featured on a video someday?!?!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #29
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post
"Trolling" was best described as a poster who joins a cat-lover's forum then proceeds to say, "I love driving over cats".

I'm opposed to anybody driving over the rights of others to the detriment of a full enjoyment of Winni's natural attributes or to driving over any other boater, for that matter. AND cats.

The "150-rule" was not the best way to deflect your own contribution to the noise level.

Especially on weekends, Winni's high noise level can impact on-shore telephone use, ordinary conversations, those asleep, those listening to music, nature, or just listening to the wind in the pines. Not to mention the noise level that can impact boating emergencies, sounded signals, the sounds of warnings, cries for help, telephoning for help, and the hampering of an actual boating rescue or capsize.

"Driving over others" includes those who are so intolerant of others that they still use switchable exhaust among their neighbors, throw wine bottles in the lake, and turn up the stereo to play "Who let the Dogs Out". Expect a post from me when those who think their personal concept of boating does not "impact" other boaters or lake residents.

KC, Winni's boating is entirely recreational in nature, but can have serious consequences. "Driving up to your cottage" is not recreational in nature.

Coastal Laker, for every marina you should enter with "Captain's Call" at the appropriate setting, there are thousands of Winni residents asleep.

All the above was brought to mind by stumbling across the site www.rottenneighbors.com.

Who might be the next Winni boater featured on a video someday?!?!
KC, Winni's boating is entirrely recreational in nature, but can have serious consequences. "Driving up to your cottage" is not recreational in nature.

I have NO IDEA what you mean by this or what your point is. MY point is that you're in much more danger driving up to your "recreation" destination than you are when you're sleeping at your recreation destionation. I have no clue what you're trying to reference by that statement.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #30
2Blackdogs

rick39,

You didn't see where this thread was headed when you first saw the word *agenda* mentioned by opponents in post #2, 3, then 40?

Post #2 for example....,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
There are no laws on the books saying boats can't travel at night but I'm sure that's on someone's *agenda*.
Another comment that needs attention is the *Autobahn* mention.....You need far more than a "certificate" to operate on the Autobahn.

Skipper,

Perhaps this season alone will prove the necessity for the new law. Even then, your side will have three years to exhibit their safe boating practices to NH residents. I wouldn't put *your* eggs into *their* basket, however.

If a few drunks get pulled over, that alone could save somebody's life, house, boat, plus change tourists' current view of Winni as lawless. You may not like the term Unlimited Speed, or that radar will now be used to spot offenders exceeding 25mph at night, but next season we ALL have a chance to find out.

Yesterday, I was passed by a dark blue Cobalt at about 150 feet, maybe less, in a relatively open area, but "crowded" with many anchored smaller boats.

They ARE fast boats!

And I've seen two Formula cruisers, one the same size as June 15th's crash, one smaller.

They ARE loud!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #31
JDeere

Quote:
Rick writes that some people are rude or less than considerate and the replies back to him somehow turn into what the laws do and do not allow or it links to the speed limit. All he said was where is the respect for your neighbors.

Like he said some people just do not get it.