Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Bigstan

Default William Tell

Has anyone ever been here?

I'm maybe 2 minutes away and drive by all the time, and I can't ever remember seeing anyone there. They still advertise, and as they've been there forever I'm assuming they must be good?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
ghfromaltonbay

Default Excellent food at the William Tell

There is a whole discussion of the William Tell in the Restaurant and Dining thread. The place is excellent!

We did the same thing, drove by for years and finally tried it. What a gem! We're German/Swiss and the food is as good as Grossmutter (grandmother) used to make. The food always comes out piping hot and good, good, good!

They have an early bird special menu from 5-6:30 Wed. - Fri. and for $10.95 you get a wonderful meal. There are usually 8 - 10 entrees on the early bird menu. Our favorites are the wiener schnitzel and the shrimp/scallops Rockefeller.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
gravy boat

Default William Tell

I take pride in telling people that I was the first employee they hired oh so many years ago!

It is an excellent restaurant -- has been for all these years. The best value is the Sunday Brunch -- large portions, always tasty....but be warned! Not for the calorie-conscious! ;-)

Dinner is always wonderful as well.

My husband and I had our wedding and reception there 4+ years ago -- it remains one of my favorite places in the region.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
donnamatrix

Default William Tell is Great

One of the best restaurants ANYWHERE. They have an appetizer comprised of little veal "meatballs" that is absolutely to die for. Never been to the brunch, but imagine it's excellent.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default No, the snowballs in toberlone are to die for...

For me being a diabetic, one is enough to put me into diabetic shock, two I'm approaching diabetic coma and three... well, just burry me in the backyard.

One of my most favorite trips is to sail over to Glidden Cove with some friends, anchor off and dingy ashore. A short half mile walk up the killer hill (make that a ten mile hike) to the Inn. Spend the evening there making myself sick with the rack of lamb and forcing myself to eat just one of the snowballs. After that, if I'm still coherent I roll myself back down the hill. If the wind is right it’s a long leisurely night sail back to Wolfeboro.

It just doesn’t get any better on the lake.

BTW: I phone ahead.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
kayakn

Thumbs up Thumbs Up

My son has been working there for a number of years. We have never had a bad meal!

Winnipesaukee Divers... You must have the georgeous big sailboat and anchor it near Hills Landing? We live in Glidden Cove. You guys always sound like you are having a blast. Now, I see why... going to the Tell is a blast!
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,013 Times in 919 Posts

We went there several years ago and the experience was so bad that we have never gone back even though it is the closest restaurant to where we live. The food was bland and greasy. The beer choice was almost zip. This was the only really bad experience we ever had in the area.
We did complain on the way out (maybe only the 2nd time we ever did that) and just got a stoic non response back.
I see that most others liked the place so maybe we hit a bad night for the cook.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
froggy

The owners are fantastic people. I do not go there enough!
Chat with them about Switzerland - make one want to go! Then I did!!!

Restaurant not to skip!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default I'm not suprised to hear you say that...

I have a friend who is German and hates everything too. It's such a pleasure to go anywhere with him. In his mind, everything must be planned out weeks in advance, everything must go as planned, no work or hardship can be involved, and everything has to be perfect. When it comes to food... nothing satisfies him, "this isn't German food, this is crap I wouldn't feed to a dog". Me, on the other hand, after growing up in VT on a farm, it's all good to me, you won't hear me complaining.

I love the place, the food, the folks there and the adventure of it all. I can say "A good time was had by me"
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote