Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
callmeD

Default Mame's in Meredith

Can anyone tell me about Mame's?

What is the atmosphere and dining experience like there? What kind of food do they serve?

Any comments welcomed.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
jeffk

They have a web site.
http://www.mamesrestaurant.com/

I've had lunch there. Nice but relaxed atmosphere. Higher end food quality and prices.

I enjoyed our lunch. The service was good and friendly.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Resident 2B

We like Mame's a lot.

The food is always very good and the service is always friendly and efficient. The small dining areas on the street level are well decorated and a bit unusual and the very old, but well kept, building makes for a great old-style New England dining experience.

They also have a larger room upstairs that has a lot of old maple sugaring tools and artifacts. That room is more open than the street level, but is in itself very interesting. There is ample parking on and off street available.

We have never been disappointed at Mame's. We have been there many times, mostly for dinner, over the last five years or more. It is our overall favorite non-water-view restaurant in the Gilford to Center Harbor area.

They take and honor reservations or call-ahead seating. I do not remember which it is, but if you arrive when you said you would, you will be seated promptly.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
callmeD

Thanks, JeffK. The menu looks interesting ... the Selkirk Vegetable Sandwich
looks yummy.

I noticed that the Fitness Edge has collaborated with Mame's to offer healthy eating options - what a great idea!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
upnorth

Default thumbs down

I thought it wasn't good.

My little guy had the mac and cheese and it literally looked like it came from the Kraft box with the dry powdered cheese mixed in. I wouldn't necessarily mind except that the cost was high and the portion small. My wife had the artichoke chicken, which admittedly sounded great, but tasted as though they opened a jar of marinated artichoke hearts and poured it over the plate.

I remember my meal being so so. (I honestly can't remember what I had -- which, I suppose, in itself is telling.)

We had been wanting to try it for a quite some time and sadly, we won't be going back anytime soon, if ever.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
boat_guy64

Thumbs up I like Mames

I really like Mames. We often eat upstairs in the bar where they serve either their pub menu or the regular menu. We also eat in the downstairs dining room when we have friends with us and have been pleased. They are always very accomodating and willing to make slight changes to the menu when asked.

Upstairs at the bar, Allison is the best bartender ever She is always friendly and is great at coming up with new drinks for the Mrs. to try out.

I guess we like it because we go there year round and find it very consistant
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Upnorth......I cracked up at your comment about the mac&cheese.A while back I had the family over for dinner along with 5 grandkids 3-6 years old.I made a gourmet mac and cheese with 6 different cheeses.Fresh grated parm,aged gouda,camembert,brie,whole milk mozzarella......kids HATED it....little buggers!n Guess what they like? You got it. Those nasty boxes of Kraft powder.Knowing John Cook,I'm sure he's shaking his head every time one of those goes out of the kitchen.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
no-engine

John and staff are great! Been there many times over twenty years!
Always reliable.
Off premise catering is also very reliable.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Pineedles

Default Good review of Mame's

I have never been there, but Mom and all her sisters (she had 4 of them) loved it back in the 80's; and since it is still owned by the same people I would guess that it is still a classy place to eat. Mom was a classy broad, as are/were all of her sisters both here and gone. Didn't know exactly how to put that last statement, but since they all have/had a lot of class they'll all hopefully forgive me. God I hate having to be/trying to be grammatically correct.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I have never been there, but
Center Harbor, and not been to Mame's!

My own correction: should be 25 years!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
dpg

"I thought it wasn't good.

My little guy had the mac and cheese and it literally looked like it came from the Kraft box with the dry powdered cheese mixed in. I wouldn't necessarily mind except that the cost was high and the portion small. My wife had the artichoke chicken, which admittedly sounded great, but tasted as though they opened a jar of marinated artichoke hearts and poured it over the plate.

I remember my meal being so so. (I honestly can't remember what I had -- which, I suppose, in itself is telling.)

We had been wanting to try it for a quite some time and sadly, we won't be going back anytime soon, if ever. "

There always has to be one.. I've never been there however my sister has and liked it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
BlackCatIslander (01-15-2009)
Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
angela4design

Default I keep hoping for better...

Well, I think it's changed a lot in recent years. My last visit was for Sunday brunch when George's was PACKED. Okay, I must say, we had to not expect Georges, but as I recall, the menu was extremely limited - maybe a dozen items? And the portions TINY. We paid twice as much, got something we had to settle with - and left hungry. Boooo!

Before that, we took our son there, and were seated at the same time as a table of guys (we were only allowed to sit in the bar). They were served first. Pet peeve. I felt like it was because we had a child with us that the server felt bothered to have to deal with it. My BF ordered a Reuben, which was served with only one slice of bread (open face), and informed that's 'how they do it'?!? He had to specially request the other slice!

So, I had gone these two time saying to my BF how great Mame's was - it really used to be!! I used to have business lunches there, drinks, dinner, celebratory gatherings; but that was several years ago. I noticed recently that they're doing Mexican on Thursdays. That can't be a good sign.

So, I guess it's thumbs up and thumbs down. I'll probably try it again - I always still hope it'll be better. But I wouldn't take friends there to make an impression! Or kids...
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
GUNNER

Default Reuben

I come from NJ & felt I had to respond to angela4design about the Reuben her friend ordered. This reply is not about the merits of Mame's just about how the Reuben was served.

In The metropolitan NY area a Reuben is normally served with one slice of bread. It is typically an open face sandwich piled high with corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese & thousand island dressing. At any good Jewish deli it is typically 2-3" high. Was I surprised when I moved up here & had it served with 2 pieces of bread.

Gunner
GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
MooseRiverMan

Default Needs better cherries

We love Mames. Love the old house, food is always good but they have the worst cherries for manhattans. They must not get many request for drinls with cherries. We vow to bring our own.

Neverthe less recommend Mames to all.
MooseRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
angela4design

Default Reubens

Thanks, Gunner - I did not know that! I wondered what on earth they were thinking! The funny thing is that I had ordered sandwiches there before and never had that style. I guess that open-face style is a Reuben thing? I've seen turkey and meatloaf sandwiches that way, but never a Reuben!

Well, today I've learned something! thanks!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Shore Driver

It is highly debatable that a Reuben is open-faced. That's a faily common twist on the old standard, but a Reuben in true Jewish tradition can have 2 slices of bread.

Anyway, MAME's is a 10-year tradition for myself and my wife. Reliably good and a lovely atmosphere especially in the front rooms.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
jrc

How can a sandwich with corned beef and swiss cheese be Jewish?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Pineedles

Default According to Wicopedia

The origins of the Reuben are disputed.[2] One account holds that Reuben Kulakofsky (sometimes spelled Reubin, or the last name shortened to Kay), a grocer from Omaha, Nebraska, was the inventor, perhaps as part of a group effort by members of Kulakofsky's weekly poker game held in the Blackstone Hotel from around 1920 through 1935. The participants, who nicknamed themselves "the committee," included the hotel's owner, Charles Schimmel. The sandwich first gained local fame when Schimmel put it on the Blackstone's lunch menu. Other accounts hold that its creator was Arthur Reuben, owner of the once famous but now no longer existing Reuben's Delicatessen in New York,[3] who, according to an interview with Craig Claiborne, invented the sandwich around 1914.[4]

All I know is that Rein's Deli in Connecticut makes it better than anyone else, plus any other deli sandwich you can think of. And that's the fact Jack!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
GUNNER

Pineedles, you are correct, Rein's deli in CT makes great sandwiches. Every time wife & I travel back to NJ we make a stop there. Their brisket sandwich is the best I have ever had. Alway get it with horseradish & mustard. And, of course, the free pickles they give you almost as soon as your seated.

A must if you are travelling on 84 in Vernon. Exit 65. Been going there for years.

Gunner
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
jerseyonbear

Default how far from exit

We have been looking for a good stopping point on interstate 84 on the jersey route. We've had enough of thel book traveler in Union. How far from the exit is this Deli and is it well marked?
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #21
BlackCatIslander

Default Rein's Deli

We stop at Rein's when returning from NJ and the Exit is marked 64-65. At the top of the ramp we bear right onto Exit 65 and continue to the right (easterly?) about a mile. At the fourth set of lights, turn left into a strip mall and Rein's Deli is facing you. It is very popular but even when quite busy one is able to get seat quickly.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackCatIslander For This Useful Post:
jerseyonbear (01-15-2009)
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
sa meredith

Default two things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
The origins of the Reuben are disputed.[2] One account holds that Reuben Kulakofsky (sometimes spelled Reubin, or the last name shortened to Kay), a grocer from Omaha, Nebraska, was the inventor, perhaps as part of a group effort by members of Kulakofsky's weekly poker game held in the Blackstone Hotel from around 1920 through 1935. The participants, who nicknamed themselves "the committee," included the hotel's owner, Charles Schimmel. The sandwich first gained local fame when Schimmel put it on the Blackstone's lunch menu. Other accounts hold that its creator was Arthur Reuben, owner of the once famous but now no longer existing Reuben's Delicatessen in New York,[3] who, according to an interview with Craig Claiborne, invented the sandwich around 1914.[4]

All I know is that Rein's Deli in Connecticut makes it better than anyone else, plus any other deli sandwich you can think of. And that's the fact Jack!
Two things:
1. Mames is a great spot for dinner if you happen to be in the Meredith area for dinner. Seek it out and find it. Worth the effort...and located in a great spot. Cross the street over toward the Meredith town docks after you eat, and you have a great place to take a walk.
By the way. If it is early (breakfast) go next door to George's instead. Another great spot.

2. Pineedles...I always thought the Reuben was named after "Reuben Sierra".
Are sure your facts are straight? He really was a decent outfielder.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #23
GUNNER

Default Rein's deli

Going south to NJ it's quite easy to find. Exit 65 to top of ramp & make right. Make left at next set of lights (1/4 mile) which are at strip mall & Rein's is straight ahead. Menu is huge & of course they have Deli section where you can order for takeout.

If you are over 65, as we are, they have a basket full of sliced rye & pumpernickle bread "ends" (several slices of bread too small for sandwiches) which are free for the taking. We always take 1 or 2 packages with us.

Gunner
Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Two things:
2. Pineedles...I always thought the Reuben was named after "Reuben Sierra".
Are sure your facts are straight? He really was a decent outfielder.
I thought it was Rueben Stoddard of "American Idol" fame.Or maybe it was Rueben Carter from the famous Dylan Hurricane Carter song.Who incendently just died.But I digress.Sorry
Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #25
Pineedles

Default Sa Meredith

I don't comment on former Yankee players. As you should know.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #26
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I thought it was Rueben Stoddard of "American Idol" fame.Or maybe it was Rueben Carter from the famous Dylan HurricaneCarter song.Who incendently just died.But I digress.Sorry
Rueben Hurricane Carter is still alive & well last time I checked.....and still guilty as far as I'm concerned too
________
Scion Xa

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Rueben Hurricane Carter is still alive & well last time I checked.....and still guilty as far as I'm concerned too
Could be my bad on this one.I thought I heard on the radio he died last week.I couldn't find anything to comfirm that.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Could be my bad on this one.I thought I heard on the radio he died last week.I couldn't find anything to comfirm that.
According to wikipedia he's alive, and working on a film in Newfoundland.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #29
lunch lady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
John and staff are great! Been there many times over twenty years!
Always reliable.
Off premise catering is also very reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNER View Post
Pineedles, you are correct, Rein's deli in CT makes great sandwiches. Every time wife & I travel back to NJ we make a stop there. Their brisket sandwich is the best I have ever had. Alway get it with horseradish & mustard. And, of course, the free pickles they give you almost as soon as your seated.

A must if you are travelling on 84 in Vernon. Exit 65. Been going there for years.

Gunner
We have stopped there for years, every time we go to NY. Now, our kids stop there. Always good food and plenty of it. the best Reubens.

Lunch lady
lunch lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #30
Rag Top Daze

Default 4 Happy diners

We were making plans today to get together with friends this evening. We hadn't been to Mame's for several years. We just never think of it. Today I did and all 4 of us are glad I did. The food was very good. One order of prime rib, one of prime rib and baked stuffed shrimp and 2 orders of the seafood sampler. Not one complaint. The service couldn't have been better. We had a wonderful meal and plan to go back more often.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rag Top Daze For This Useful Post:
callmeD (11-15-2009)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #31
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
My little guy had the mac and cheese and it literally looked like it came from the Kraft box with the dry powdered cheese mixed in.
I've seen that in restaurants around here (seacoast NH) -- not to my taste, but the kids love it! (oops, sorry, just realized I replied to a very old post -- but my comment still stands.......

Last edited by Waterbaby; 11-15-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Due to date to post I replied to
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #32
Argie's Wife

There's often gift certificates for $25 to $50 off on Restaurant.com...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #33
glennsteely

Question

Mame's was a great spot, not saying that it isn't now, they used to have this open faced sammich with roast beef, turkey and ham with broccoli and melted swiss cheese....(there might have been more on it, and I cant remember the name of it, but it was dee-lisious) do they still serve it? Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #34
Old Hubbard Rd

Default The Nightmare!!

Mames famous open sandwich is The Nightmare!! It is always a good call. I enjoy Mames. John has tried his best through the past 27+ years to always be there and keep a eye on things. I enjoy the atmophere.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #35
Heaven

I don't agree, but I can see some people would be giving thumb down reviews based on the portion sizes (which are "the right size"!) instead of the huge grotesqueness sometimes found at other places.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #36
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Mame's

Here is the description of the "Nightmare" from Mame's luncheon menu:

Luncheon Nightmare - $11.50 “We have had this one for 30 yrs.”
Start with pumpernickel-rye swirl bread, add turkey, ham, broccoli, bacon, tomato, and mushrooms, topped with Swiss and baked in a cheese sauce en casserole.

Have always loved Mame's. Our son is getting married in Meredith this winter at Church Landing, and his rehearsal dinner/reception will be at Mame's the night before. They have always been true and steady.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #37
SIKSUKR

I guess large portions are now not politically correct either.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #38
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Here is the description of the "Nightmare" from Mame's luncheon menu:

Luncheon Nightmare - $11.50 “We have had this one for 30 yrs.”
Start with pumpernickel-rye swirl bread, add turkey, ham, broccoli, bacon, tomato, and mushrooms, topped with Swiss and baked in a cheese sauce en casserole.

Have always loved Mame's. Our son is getting married in Meredith this winter at Church Landing, and his rehearsal dinner/reception will be at Mame's the night before. They have always been true and steady.
I can't wait for the rehersal dinner, wedding & bunch!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Same here, GBG

And seeing your entire clan will be a real bonus!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #40
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Ruebens, Mames anf Yuckaronis

Mames was a family favorite during the 80's. Then prices started going up and we no longer go there. I did go to breakfast at Mames a couple of years back when George's had a line out to the sidewalk. I boast to my friend that Mames use real maple syrup. When we ordered they were out of maple syrup and gave us the artificial stuff! So my friend went next door and bought some maple syrup. The waitress wasn't pleased and service was lousy after that. Never been back since.

My daughter lives in Brooklyn NY and she took me to a real Jewish deli. The rueben was opened face on Jewish rye, piled high with hot pastrami, saurkraut, horseradish sauce and a special cheese made with goat milk. The best I have tasted! My opinion is the horseradish sauce is much better than thousand island.

My daughters and my grandchildren always consider the Kraft Mac and Cheese, 'Yuckaroni'. Nor do they care for the 'gourmet mac and cheese' you find at the restuarants. The Kraft 'Deluxe' Mac and Cheese or the velveeta Mac and cheese is what they like.

I hope there are folks that have seen the making of pastrami on the Discover channel a few nights ago. It was very interesting as to how pastrami was made and why they make it that way. I won't go there.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #41
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Mames was a family favorite during the 80's. Then prices started going up and we no longer go there. I did go to breakfast at Mames a couple of years back when George's had a line out to the sidewalk. I boast to my friend that Mames use real maple syrup. When we ordered they were out of maple syrup and gave us the artificial stuff! So my friend went next door and bought some maple syrup. The waitress wasn't pleased and service was lousy after that. Never been back since.

My daughter lives in Brooklyn NY and she took me to a real Jewish deli. The rueben was opened face on Jewish rye, piled high with hot pastrami, saurkraut, horseradish sauce and a special cheese made with goat milk. The best I have tasted! My opinion is the horseradish sauce is much better than thousand island.

My daughters and my grandchildren always consider the Kraft Mac and Cheese, 'Yuckaroni'. Nor do they care for the 'gourmet mac and cheese' you find at the restuarants. The Kraft 'Deluxe' Mac and Cheese or the velveeta Mac and cheese is what they like.

I hope there are folks that have seen the making of pastrami on the Discover channel a few nights ago. It was very interesting as to how pastrami was made and why they make it that way. I won't go there.
Three other forum members and myself had dinner at Mame's last night. We had prime rib, orange chicken and pan seared scallops. The food was very good and so was the service.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #42
braunbayboater

Default Reheasal dinner

Our son is getting married at Church Landing in November. We were also thinking of Mame's for the reheasal dinner. How was the dinner - approximate cost for 30??
braunbayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunbayboater View Post
Our son is getting married at Church Landing in November. We were also thinking of Mame's for the reheasal dinner. How was the dinner - approximate cost for 30??
I was involved in a wedding last summer and went to Mame's as it was being considered for the rehearsal dinner. They seated us upstairs. Not one of us liked their meal and that included a sister in law who is very slow not to give approval in times such as this. I seem to remember that we ordered off of a special menu that they had for dinners for wedding receptions so their regular food may be better. However, in the back of my mind, I had been there in the past and had not been tempted to return.

There ended up being a rehearsal luncheon at Canoe and a really wonderful "Welcome Party" for all on the Mount Washington. The Mount could have easily been the rehearsal dinner if you had not thought of that for a very unique site.

That said, we were invited to a brunch the morning after a Church Landing wedding last year where Mame's did the catering and the food was very good. So go figure.

The wedding that I was involved in was also at Church Landing. That is a great site. Hard to beat really.

The below is added in my edit...
Sorry. I forgot you are having a November wedding.............probably too late and too cold for the Mount Washington. They stop before that anyway. Good luck with whatever you choose. Weddings are such fun. Hope you enjoy it and best wishes to the future bride and groom. The Canoe rehearsal luncheon was quite lovely but don't know if they do rehearsal dinners.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #44
jkjoshuatree

Default Braunbayboater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunbayboater View Post

...I had my wedding rehearsal dinner on the Mount Washington. The food is just okay (if you're looking for great, do not, by any means, go on the Mount for food).

But it was really cool for those of us who had never been on it. I've been going up to the lake for almost 40 years and never went myself (always thought it was too "touristy").

It helped that it was a beautiful night. We did the shorter cruise on Thursday evening (think it was 2 1/2 hours to Alton and back).

Just an idea. Something kind of different. All our guests thought it was a great, unique idea, and we all had a blast.

I think the cost was about $33 a person-something like $15 or $18 for the tickets and then you pay for the food when you get on board and they give everyone tickets who are eating.

Let us know what you decide to do and report back! And congrats on your son's wedding!!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #45
no-engine

I don't think Ship cruises after 10/31.

Talk to John at Mame's for your rehearsal event, which I assume might be treated a little different than orders off menu. I've been at many events Mame's has catered, and never heard people complaining.