Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Heron

Has anyone seen the Heron that has been around the past couple of days? It is strange to see one on the big lake. An exciting surprise. From what I understand, they like marsh like areas.
Rattlesnake Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
KPW

Default Heron

I see herons all the time at the Barber Pole. A few years back, I had one land in a tree above me, not more than 20 feet away. It stayed there for quite a while, until I moved my chair.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
Just Sold

Default Heron

Rattlesnake Gal

I have not been up in a few days so I have not seen the Heron you talk of but I have seen one this year near Ragged Island.

From what I have observed and read they like marshy areas or shallow water for feeding on small fish, frogs etc. There is a rookery (nesting area) in Danville, NH that is supposed to be the largest in the state so we see them a lot in that area.

Just Sold
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
KPW

Default Heron

There is also a rookery on the right, just after the weigh station, before exit 3 on Rt 93 south
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:01 AM   #5
madrasahs

Default Try Mirror Lake

After ice-out, one Great Blue cruises overhead towards Mirror Lake every day near sunset. 'Guess he's at a rookery now -- but he'll be back!

Great Blue Herons are common in the South. They have a mean and aggressive reputation, and will spend fifteen minutes chasing a Great Blue rival from a "very special" territory for fishing -- as well as "drawing blood" with larger birds like pelicans. It's only real predator is the bald eagle, which has been known to take them.

I've had them walk close by me as I sat reading next to a southern lake. It's unnerving to have to look up into a Great Blue Heron's steely-gray stare.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

The first morning I saw this Heron it came as such a surprise to see it out on open water, though on the edge. It was so close too. These birds look so prehistoric. Of course I went scrambling for the camera. I got a couple shots that were a bit too far away and unfortunately it blends in with the shore pretty well so it is hard to see anyway. Just as I found just the right spot to shoot from, it took off. What a sight. I’m sure I was a sight too, scrambling over rocks in my pajamas and slippers! (Glad no one was around to witness that.) I hope it becomes a regular visitor.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #7
Frdxplorer

In Winter Harbor, toward the basin end, there is a rather significant marsh area called Christian Cove. It is a favorite for Herons. When taking the canoe back the cove, we often spot him standing still in high grass. Quite a pretty sight.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
These birds look so prehistoric.
Thats the word I was looking for! Last summer, one flew down the channel and then headed toward me, up the hill, and over my building. He was flying REALLY low and seemed to really be struggling to gain altitude. It was quite neat. I didn't think he was going to clear the roof, but he made it. You could hear his wings beating and it sounded like huffing and puffing.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
Newbiesaukee

Saw one the other morning on my dock on eastern Long Island. In Florida they are quite common but still awe inspiring.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:51 AM   #10
sonj

Cool Heron

undefinedundefined
Hi,
I saw the heron yesterday here on the lake at about 5pm. It has been here since spring. I also have spotted it on Lees Pond. Sonj
sonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
Rattlesnake Gal

I have not been up in a few days so I have not seen the Heron you talk of but I have seen one this year near Ragged Island.

From what I have observed and read they like marshy areas or shallow water for feeding on small fish, frogs etc. There is a rookery (nesting area) in Danville, NH that is supposed to be the largest in the state so we see them a lot in that area.

Just Sold
Hey just sold,you can't be far from Lake Massabeesic.I use to live right next to it and saw many Blue Heron,especially on the Auburn end of the lake.They were usually hanging around parts of the lake that had high grass growing out of it. SS
Old 06-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #12
madrasahs

Cool Other bird sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
[Prehistoric...]Thats the word I was looking for!
Flying reptiles and birds were around in the time of the dinosaurs.

Walk too close to a Great Blue Heron, and he will take off. The loud, annoyed call he makes then: "KROI'NK!-KROI'NK!-KROI'NK!", sounds positively prehistoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
You could hear his wings beating and it sounded like huffing and puffing.
That's the sound made by air as it flows over his "primaries" -- the long, asymmetric flight feathers at his wingtips that provide lift. (Aircraft wings are modelled after them -- for lift).

If the wind is strong enough, sailors can hear this sound crossing their sails -- two really big primary flight feathers). But birds make "noise" in flight even when not flapping.

At the Grand Canyon National Park, I was viewing the magnificent scene over a concrete wall that was deflecting a very strong wind sharply upwards.

A tree swallow appeared, and soared motionless in the wind just above my head. You could hear the whoosh of the wind over his little form.

It was a sailor of the waters listening to a "sailor of the air". So cool.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

It sure is a tall bird!

Last edited by webmaster; 11-28-2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 07-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #14
madrasahs

Thumbs up Wolfeboro rookery, 109A

Wolfeboro has a Blue Heron rookery (well, one nest) just off route 109A at the Pop Whalen Center**, a mile or so NW from Wolfeboro.

There are other birds there too: Canada Geese, Red-Winged Blackbirds, and Wood Thrush (one of the few remaining Winnipesaukee areas with America's most gifted songster).

I'd pull into the Center, as traffic -- though sparse -- will appear suddenly around the curves from either direction.

The nest, made entirely of sticks, is about two ski-rope lengths from the road, right in the middle of the marsh. There were two parents rearranging it last Thursday. (Maybe just one of the two was rearranging -- you know why).

**Pop Whalen was my ski-team instructor and dorm-master-- back when.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:20 AM   #15
Dave R

Default bird and frog ramblings

Anyone else notice how few frogs there are now? When I was a kid, there were frogs all along the shore. We used to catch them all the time. Never saw a heron until I was a teenager and even then they were quite a rare sight. Hardly see any frogs now. Sure see a lot more herons though. I'm guessing herons eat a whole lot of frogs. Not sure which I like better...

If you have a pond in your yard and like to keep ornamental fish, you would be wise to get a fake heron to place near the pond and move it every couple of days. I guess herons won't hunt near other herons but they do get wise to fake ones that are in the same spot all the time.

I have a beaver pond in my back yard and there is a heron there most every day in season. Pretty neat to watch. There's also a pair of wood ducks that breeds there every year. Never seen wood ducks anywhere else in NH. They seem rather rare
Dave R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #16
PROPELLER

Default Frogs

Come to my house. I constantly am scooping frogs & toads out of my pool. No shortage here. And boy do they make a ruckus at night.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:02 AM   #17
madrasahs

Arrow Herons in the news this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Anyone else notice how few frogs there are now? When I was a kid, there were frogs all along the shore.
Frogs and other amphibians are disappearing worldwide. A thinning ozone layer is the suspected culprit, as most amphibian eggs have not evolved a resistance to the increase in solar UV radiation.

A few frog populations are increasing, but whether they are taking over the habitat of the "lost" frogs, are "invasive species", or are naturally resistant to increased UV, hasn't been adequately studied as yet (and aren't well funded to boot).

I think the "malformed-frog crisis" turned out to be an endemic bacterial infection -- not UV-related.

http://www.solcomhouse.com/frogs.htm

Here's this morning's blurb on herons ('Todja they were "mean"), with a couple of hummingbird stories thrown in.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=41537

P.S. Has there been a bumper crop of daddy-long-legs this year?

Last edited by madrasahs; 08-01-2004 at 07:51 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:25 PM   #18
RLW

Default Herons/Chipmunks

We have been watching the heron come into the yard on a daily basis and take one or two chipmunks and go sit on the pier and down them whole head first just as if it were a fish or frog. The big difference with our heron he stabs them just like a fish with his bill not with his talons. Chipmunk population has dropped considerably this year.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #19
Grant

Default Herons

Saw a few herons this week. One in particular was flying low and landed on a neighbor's dock.

Just spent a nice ten days on the lake and am now sitting the Manchester azirport waiting for the flight that will take me back for a week of work -- then back up. Hard to believe I was floating in the Lake two hours ago.

BTW -- Nice airport!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #20
PROPELLER

I should get me a Blue Heron, Chipmunks are out of control digging holes all around my house.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #21
BBS2

We live down by the Concord River in MA when we are not at the Lake. Lots of Great Blues there. We lost 4 of our goldfish (including one that was with me for 12 years ) to one guy. I guess he thought our dinky little goldfish pond was an appetizer for his trip to the river.
I've never heard of them taking chippies! My neighbor would probably want to know if they'll take whistle pigs. She has one ravishing her flowers.
Only 8 more hours until we are back on the Broads!!
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote