Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
dmjr

Default Black Snout Tavern

Went by the Black Snout Tavern this evening, saw many cars there. I wonder how it is?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Winniislander

Thumbs up Black Snout Review:

In a word---fabulous. It's starting out as a home run.
Attentative service; food was hot, well presented, and delish; and they have done a great job with the interior decor'!!
I can only hope they keep the attention to quality; if so, I believe it could become a Moultonboro destination.
Winniislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
phoenix

what do they specialize in.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
offmycloud

Where is it? Where Capone's or whatever used to be? I haven't been up there since last year.
Thanks!
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
offmycloud

Forget I asked - it's where Dillingers used to be (I knew it was a Chicago gangster!). Glad to hear it is good. There is a dearth of decent restaurants over there. Every place in that building has not been very good. Bucky's is the only place good and that building had a string of losers in it before as well. And an appropriate name, too. What connection would Dillinger ever have to a beautiful lake area?
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Fruitcake Lady

Smile Black Snout Tavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniislander
In a word---fabulous. It's starting out as a home run.
Attentative service; food was hot, well presented, and delish; and they have done a great job with the interior decor'!!
I can only hope they keep the attention to quality; if so, I believe it could become a Moultonboro destination.
Glad to hear you had a good meal!!! Curious as to what you had for dinner?? Will be trying it soon and let you know my dining out experience!!
Fruitcake Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Black Snout Tavern Friday nite

Saw a parking lot overflowing with cars...front and back.... but decided to try anyway. Walked in with no reservations. For a restaurant opened just a few days it has alot going for it.

NO SMOKING throughout. The bar area was packed and the dining room ( you can get full menu in the bar area if you wish) was a ten minute wait. The wait staff was very attentive....still in the learning curve with the varied menu. The menu has a great selection of appetizers, seafood section, meat section, pasta and a vegetarian offering, a good selection of soups and salads.....no nitely specials....but a fairly creative menu choice nonetheless. It was apparent they were slammed but they did their best to keep the food coming with just a minor slowdown.

The food.....very well prepared....I had lobster ravioli saute....Mrs. Hermit Cover had baked haddock... both served hot and very tasty. The prices are mid-range...not as high as some others in the lakes area. (Also a burgers and sandwich section with very good prices. Kids menu, too!)

Criticism.....reluctantly....cause the positives seem to far outweigh the negatives......there are very bad acoustics......with a packed house it was very difficult to carry on a conversation...very loud.....especially in the dining room.....can't imagine what the bar lounge was like....an acoustical ceiling surface would perhaps cut down on the din during dinner.

Try this restaurant.....these people are putting a whole lot of effort into this place and without the noise on a very busy Friday nite.....this is a real surprise and pleasure. The menu says they are open for lunch and dinner DAILY....no off days. Can't wait to sample the rest of the menu and a lunch or two. Looks like patio dining is coming soon. Applause! Applause!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Tomt

We were there Saturday night, my wife had a cheeseburger that was very good I ordered the haddock and was a little disapointed it was baked very plain and had a chili sauce over it which added some flavor if you like spicy haddock. I was sorry to see Dillingers go always plenty of food very reasonable. At some point Im sure we will go back and try something else.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
MooseRiverMan

Went for dinner last night. It was very busy and previous comment about acoustics is correct. They are going to try and fix that. Don't wait though. Both my wife and I had a sandwich called the Italian Christini ( I think that is the spelling). It was great, could have shared one sandwich between the two of us. But hey, had a great lunch the next day.
MooseRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
quagmire

I ate in the lounge Sunday night. It was busy but service was good despite the crowd. The food is well prepared but the portions are fairly small for the prices. The meatloaf had two 1/2 inch thick slices and the prime rib special wasn't very big. Another person commented their turkey club had only 2 thin slices of turkey. I do recommend the mussel stew. It was different and had a little kick to it. The salad was fresh but the added shrimp wasn't worth the extra 4 bucks. Only 3 med/large shrimp.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Zee

Default Very good!!

We ate there Thursday night. I ordered the haddock sandwich with a twice baked potato. The sandwich was huge and very good. Rather than tartar sauce they have a dill dressing that is very good. Husband had the rotisserie chicken with rice pilaf. The 1/2 chicken was cooked just right. It was served with asparagus. The potato leek soup was excellent also. Portions are very good and the prices are fair for the lake area. The only criticism we had was the setting sun streaming in the dining area limited seating. The waiter said they were working on a solution. The waiter was very attentive. We will be back!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 AM   #12
The Eagle

Default We Gave it a try too!

Hi Guys and Gals,
My wife and I tried the "Black Snout" on Saturday. I agree, it is very noisy. I tried the "Black Snout Burger," and my wife had the Haddock sandwich. The waiter must have been new, and there wasn't very many people there. We were seated without a wait, BUT it took almost a half hour to take our order, and over 45 minutes before we got our meal. The fries were great, (but not many) the burger was OK I asked for medium rare, and it was closer to very rare. However, for my buck, dollar for dollar, great service, atmosphere and food, you still can't beat BUCKY"S!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
Kasey

Thumbs down Good experience? Not so much

My husband tried the Black Snout on Friday night. Although we were encouraged by the variety of choices on the menu, we were disappointed with our meals and with the service (despite the fact that it was not busy.) We started with an appetizer of chicken served on a skewer which was served to us on a plate with wilted lettuce. It was very visually unappealing and the chicken tasted bland and rubbery. Our server was more interested in having a conversation with the party sitting behind us than checking on her (other) customers, but we did manage to wave her down and tell her that the appetizer was disappointing. She told us the appetizer was supposed to be served with a sauce that apparently the kitchen had forgotten (didn't she notice something was missing before serving it to us?) and returned to our table with a saucer of something that tasted like soy sauce. Our meals consisted of a haddock sandwich served on stale bread and a vegetable pannini which included portabello mushrooms overpowered by garlic. A pickle was under the sandwich which made the bread soggy so only half of the sandwich was edible. My husband and I tried the restaurant in part because of some of the reviews we saw here at the Forum and we may give it another try but not for awhile.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
DougNH

Thumbs down

We ate there this past Saturday around 1:30pm and there was only one other party in the dining area. The food was average at best however we had another issue. We requested a high chair for out 10 month old when we were seated. When I went to strap him in I found that the buckle was broken. I returned the chair to the entry where there were at least 8 other high chairs stacked. At this point the hostess came over and we went through ALL of them and not one had a functioning strap. The funny thing is on the back of the chairs they say the belt must be fastened. We did decide to stay and kept a close eye on him however I think it is ridiculous to not have one functioning high chair for a child. Seeing the condition of the high chairs it is evident they were most likely left over from the previous owners. It's funny that they would spend all the $ on the updated interior but not take the time to look at the high chairs and spend the few dollars on providing a safe place for small children.
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
MaryS

Thumbs up Wonderful meal

We tried the Black Snout for the first time,this past Saturday....not very crowded.... great service, good food at decent prices....I had the best potato skins ever, the presentation looked almost like a rack of ribs!! The others had perfect prime rib special, wonderful salmon, and chicken....even had room for decadent desserts.....bread pudding was outstanding as well as the quadruple chocolate pie....yummm...I will definately return....
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Black Snout

We tried this place for Fathers Day. I though it was a bit pricey. Food was ok. Need a better salad menu. Appetizers were good. Bar was nice. Waitress was real cute. Burger and sandwich prices were reasonable. Dinners were real expensive. Good luck to them.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #17
TomC

Default ditto..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd
We tried this place for Fathers Day. I though it was a bit pricey. Food was ok. Need a better salad menu. Appetizers were good. Bar was nice. Waitress was real cute. Burger and sandwich prices were reasonable. Dinners were real expensive. Good luck to them.

Went last night (6/30). Only about 7-8 cars in the lot at 6:30 on a saturday night in the summer which I thought did not bode well...

My wife got a steak that was a poor cut and overcooked. My son (11) got the black snout trout which he enjoyed. My daughter (8) got beef skewers and potato skins from the appetizer menu, both were pretty good. I got crabcakes which were too dry. No one had dessert.

with drinks & gratuity, this came to $110 which i felt was too expensive for the food quality.

The server was a teenager and she did well.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
sonj

Thumbs down Black Snout outing

My boyfriend and I went to the Black Snout this past Sat ,7/2/07. We were greeted promptly and seated. We were dissapointed in the limited menu but were game to try it. We did not order appetizers but side salads. They were good . We ordered the salmon entree and the haddock. I agree with the comment on the spicy haddock. I was not impressed. The salmon with a pepper sauce was not impressive. Niether of finished.
The atmosphere was nice, waitstaff excellent. When we got the check we were surprised at the high price without appetizers or desserts. We also liked Dillingers mainly for the Rasberry iced tea and great sweet potato fries. We also enjoyed he selection of homecooked items Dillingers had. I dont think we will be back. Sorry Black Snout!
Death stings holds no power;
We have a Redeemer-an unfailing Tower".
-Gustafson
sonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
Deepwaters

Post check the Menu

Our neighbor told us the food was good, but I would suggest checking the menu before you make the drive. We were going to go last week, but when the group looked at the menu, some people didn't see anything that appealed to them. - they have a lot of ecclectic choices (which many people like), but they could use a few more traditional dinner selections - just one person's observation.
Deepwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

I ate at the Black Snout on Friday night. We arrived somewhat late but the service was great as was the food. I had prime rib- it was very good.

I will go there again

John
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote