Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Bike Week information

I did a couple of quick searches and didn't find the information I needed so I called Laconia PD re: Weirs Channel Bridge Closure so I figured I'd post that information and people can add their own to help us get around this week.

Weirs Beach Channel Bridge will be closed to 4 wheel vehicles:

Thursday 6/19 Noon until 10pm
Fri & Sat 6/20 & 6/21 8am until 2am
Sunday 6/22 8am until police determine it is safe to reopen
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Air-
Thanks for posting the info. Often some non bikers get forced to turn around as they did know about the 4 wheel shut down.

We got to the Weirs about 10:30 am today and had to wait for a place to park the bike, it was surprisingly busy for the 1st day. After that the wife and I had a nice ride around the lake with lunch at Buckey's in Moultonborough and ice cream in Wolfeboro. According to the bike speedo it is a 63 mile ride around the lake.

The train was running from Meredith today, limited runs. The bike week train schedule can be found at:
http://www.biketrains.com/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Smitty1

Question. If I want to get to a concert at Meadowbrook by car how do I get there from Moultonbrough?

Do I need to drive all the way around the lake through Melvin Village, Wolfeboro and Alton to get there?????

Thanks!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1 View Post
Question. If I want to get to a concert at Meadowbrook by car how do I get there from Moultonborough?

Do I need to drive all the way around the lake through Melvin Village, Wolfeboro and Alton to get there?????
You can go on 25 to Meredith, 3 south to 106 (parade road) to Laconia and then on to the bypass (back on 3) toward the lake and then 11 south (east) down to Patrick's. This will bypass the Weirs but there will still be quite a bit of traffic this week. It still may be less time then the treck through Wolfeboro.

Then again, you could send me the tickets as we have an easy trip from West Alton.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty1Question. If I want to get to a concert at Meadowbrook by car how do I get there from Moultonbrough?

Thanks!

Smitty
How would you normally get from Moultonborough to Meadowbrook? I know how to get around the Weirs Channel Bridge to get from Meredith to Glendale but that's still the other side of the lake from you.

After reading Slickcraft's post I'd recommend following his directions, except instead of driving all the way to Patrick's (Rt 11B) I'd take a left at the first set of lights, Lilly Pond Rd just prior to the airport. Go up Lilly Pond Rd until you get to 11B and take a right. Follow 11B to Meadowbrook. During a major concert it's quicker.

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-14-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: A quick tip after reading Slickcraft's post
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Smitty1

I would go through Meredith.

Would you take 106(parade road) from Meredith to Laconia?

Thanks!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Airwaves

Is the concert during a time in which the Weirs Channel Bridge is closed to 4 wheeled vehicles and are you driving a 4 wheeled vehicle?

When I have to go from Meredith to Glendale and the bridge is closed can only think of a few options.

1. Pick up Route 106 and head to Laconia but remember that's probably the most popular route.
2. Head down 104 and pick up Meredith Center Rd and follow that into Lakeport/Laconia. You come out near Irwin Marine and can take it from there.
3. Head out 104 to Route 93 South to exit 20, then come in as if you are going to Meadowbrook.

All three options take a while but they will get you around the bridge.

Of course you can always drive south to Alton and come up the other side of the lake

It is a very good question and I'd love to hear other alternatives because I do have to go around that bridge as well during bike week!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Merrymeeting

I realize it is still early in the week/first weekend, but based on the lack of bikes I saw over the weekend, is attendance at Bike Week down? Any direct reports from those attending or in the area?

This will be the 3rd year in a row that the weather will be cool and rainy for much of the week. Makes me wonder how many have given up taking their vacations at this time. I know if I used this week every year, I'd be questioning my decision...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
jetskier

Default Fairly Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I realize it is still early in the week/first weekend, but based on the lack of bikes I saw over the weekend, is attendance at Bike Week down? Any direct reports from those attending or in the area?

This will be the 3rd year in a row that the weather will be cool and rainy for much of the week. Makes me wonder how many have given up taking their vacations at this time. I know if I used this week every year, I'd be questioning my decision...
We went up to the lake this weekend and took the jetski out for a while. The Weirs was the predictable mass of humanity and the NASWA was crowded. There was little or no bike traffic outside of the Weirs area that we saw; we docked in Meredith and there was no activity (motorcycle) there. I know that next weekend is the big one.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Weirs guy

Nothing at all to see here, stay home.....

Actually it was the busiest 1st weekend I can remember. I was stuck in traffic on the Blvd. for 45 minutes Saturday! Lot of bikes both on the strip and around Laconia, but thats as far as I made it. I would guess we'll have a week with a semi-heavy but steady crowd.

We'll see you all there!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Great First Weekend Turnout!

I have attended the Rally for many years now and I must admit that I was stunned with the amount of people that were here for the first Saturday!!

I tried to dock my boat at the Weirs Saturday and that wasn't happening, so I decided to drive down late Saturday afternoon and got stuck in the traffic for quite a while.

Largest first day turnout I have seen yet!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

The Weirs had traffic but that's about it.I arrived at 1:00pm on Saturday form the Rt 11 by-pass to the Glendale ramp.No traffic at all.The parking area at the Gilford town docks was virtually empty.Spent the day floating in the Broads by Steamboat Is and saw very little boat traffic.Pulled the boat out at 6:00 and headed to Weirs Blvd on Paugus Bay right before Christmas Is.Spent the night right there.Very low bike/traffic on Weirs Blvd Saturday night.Left Sunday at noon and ran into very little traffic.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
You can go on 25 to Meredith, 3 south to 106 (parade road) to Laconia and then on to the bypass (back on 3) toward the lake and then 11 south (east) down to Patrick's. This will bypass the Weirs but there will still be quite a bit of traffic this week. It still may be less time then the treck through Wolfeboro.

Then again, you could send me the tickets as we have an easy trip from West Alton.

I took this route to go to Lowe's on Sunday (Father's Day) around noon. The only traffic that was a bit annoying was from the traffic light at route 25 and 3 until past Meredith Harley-Davidson.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Dave M

Default Options

If Meredith is going to be busy and coming from Center Harbor, take 25B to Rt 3, take right onto Waukewan Rd. to end, take left and you end up at lights on Rt104. Go across(Pease Rd) and you end up at Parade Rd.

Another option to Airwaves Lilly Pond Rd, instead of taking the bypass to the end,take Rt11A, bear right and follow until it splits with Rt11B. Take Rt11B and it will take you to the lights at Rt11B & Rt11.

I've done this route a number of times and always worked out for me. I'm assuming you will get there early to avoid the heaviest crowds.

Enjoy

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
chipj29

Bike traffic in the Concord area and south is minimal at best. Usually during bike week, all week long (10 days) there is a constant rumble on I-93. That is definately not the case so far this year. I am sure things will pick up Thurs-Sun though.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote