Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
jlrm73

Default Flying Squirrels!

Hi all-
Just wanted to share with you a picture of these Northern Flying Squirrels at my home in Gilford. We have had flying squirrels every night outside our kitchen window for about 3 months now. Didn't know how many of you have ever seen these little creatures, but they are so much fun to watch. They soar from one tree to another and are so used to us now that they come right down out of the trees to the bird feeders next to us. The dog doesn't even bother them anymore! Just wanted to share...I also wonder if anyone else has seen them around the Lakes Region?
Attached Images

Last edited by jlrm73; 01-14-2007 at 09:32 AM.
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
ApS

Exclamation Sumpin' Else!

Old 01-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
gravy boat

Default Flying Squirrels

Oh yes -- we know them well. When I bought the house I noticed scratching in the roof from time to time. It took some time, but we finally eradicated the buggers. They had found a loose sofet and made their way to the warmest parts of the roof, turning some of the insulation into confetti. We figure countless generations enjoyed the warmth until that time.

My husband was able to eradicate them by reinstalling the sofet when they were inside, not allowing them out for a few days. Knowing they would be desperate to get out for water, he waited until evening and removed the sofet. They finally emerged and my husband ensured they would not return.

Well, somehow the ones that got away found a way to get into the chimney! We needed to do some repairs to the chimney anyway, which blocked future generations. We also trimmed branches near the house, making it more difficult for them to glide from the tree to the house.

It's been a few years and we haven't had them since.

They are very cute, but be vigilant to ensure they don't extend their welcome INTO your home.

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
jlrm73

Default Yikes!

Oh my goodness, that's quite a story...we will definitely watch for that-thank you. I hope it doesn't come to that, they have a nice dead cherry tree they can continue to live in!!! Everyone I have talked to about them has never seen one, but heard of them.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Blue Thunder

Default they may seem cute!!

As GB states, they may seem cute and cuddly, but they are widely known for the property damage they can do if they get into your home or cottage. For those of us that close up for the winter, if they are around, you always run the risk of unbelievable damage if they get in looking for food or shelter. I have a friend who just heard from the guy who does "Winter Watch" for us over here on Sebago (Frye Island) that his new house is absolutely trashed from a red squirrel getting inside. I always used to tell my wife she didn't need to take everything home when we closed up, but after seeing what damage they can do, and they can get in the smallest of openings, I gladly pack it in the truck! One easy precaution we take is to close every interior door before leaving for the season. If they get in, I'd rather they trash just one room.

Blue Thunder
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
mg2107

We also had an attic full of flying squirrels. They sure are cute but once they get in they will do a number on your house. They are very prolific as well.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
TICTOC

Default No Squirrels In This Cottage

My Aunt & Uncle owned a cottage in Alton Bay from 1946 to 1991 and never had an intrustion of these little pests while all the cottages around had them.
The reason ? Just before closing up each fall she would throw moth balls all over the place, under the bed, on the bed, in drawers, etc. It smelled to high heavens when you returned in the spring but soon aired out with the windows opened. It's a cheap solution to perhaps a costly alternative. I hope this helps somebody.
TICTOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
gravy boat

Default Squirrels and Chipmunks and Mice -- Oh My!

We have a camp on Winni and every fall close it up, including the annual rite of spreading mothballs. Most of the time it works -- but only where the mothballs are spread. One year we forgot to put them in the trundle bed and in the Spring found many droppings and nesting materials -- everywhere else was untouched -- including the top portion of the bed.

This year we closed the camp later in the season -- late-October. By the time I opened the linen closet to relocate the towels for the winter, I found droppings and nesting material! We hadn't been to the camp in 2 weeks -- they certainly didn't waste any time!

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
ApS

Default LOONS evolved with flying squirrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2107
We also had an attic full of flying squirrels. They sure are cute but once they get in they will do a number on your house. They are very prolific as well.
1) There's no more damaging critter to over-winter in your place than a red squirrel, like my neighbors did. Much more so, if they don't survive the winter in your place!

2) Critters other than red squirrels get a bad rap from "reds".

Chew-mark evidence on your personal items that measure 3/16" across are likely red squirrel damage. Red squirrels will make nests using mostly dead leaves outside, but any fabric left outside is sure to get "sampled" at minimum. One unscrewed a cap (with his teeth) on a bottle of bird seed I'd left outdoors!

Mice, on the other hand, leave tiny toothmarks, and will shred stuff into a fibrous, messy, nest—and stink to high-heavens!

3) I'd no sooner shut off the computer and picked up a copy of Science Weekly magazine, and discovered this article showing that the ancestor of today's flying squirrel shared Planet Earth with the earliest of birds—including our own Winnipesaukee loon!

Excerpt:

Quote:
"...Gliding squirrel-like mammals that lived with the dinosaurs at least 130 million years ago may have conquered the skies around the same time as birds, or even earlier, scientists say....
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/s...06/1811398.htm
From fossil remains, it is known that this ancestor-guy (below) had the sharp teeth necessary for his diet of insects, and a heavy tail—rather than the "feathery" tail of modern flying squirrels.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 01-15-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Modify text and rearrange.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
gtxrider

Default Where is Bullwinkle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrm73
Hi all-
Just wanted to share with you a picture of these Northern Flying Squirrels at my home in Gilford. We have had flying squirrels every night outside our kitchen window for about 3 months now. Didn't know how many of you have ever seen these little creatures, but they are so much fun to watch. They soar from one tree to another and are so used to us now that they come right down out of the trees to the bird feeders next to us. The dog doesn't even bother them anymore! Just wanted to share...I also wonder if anyone else has seen them around the Lakes Region?
Try to find the name of the squirrel and if it is named Rocky keep an eye out for his moose partner.

Last edited by gtxrider; 02-20-2007 at 08:18 PM.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
Rayhunt

Default No Flyers

We have grey and red squirrels here in gilford but have never seen flying squirrels.. A cat and one of these keeps the population around my house in check
Attached Images

Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
We have grey and red squirrels here in gilford but have never seen flying squirrels.
It's just as well....

Flying squirrels sleep during the day and "fly" only after dark!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
Weirs guy

ah, the wonderful grey squirrel. I remember the day one of them chewed through the wiring at a relatives house......

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
catman2

Default Rescue squirrels?

Say what you want as to how bad the squirrels are but I had an uncle that owes his life to a bunch of flying squirrels. He was walking through the woods one winter day and slipped and fell into a deep brook. His leg became entangled in an underwater branch abd he was stuck. Soon, a whole bunch of flying squirrels came flying down and pulled him out. They all covered him up with their fur....he said there must have been a hundred of 'em! Soon he was dry and they led him back to the trail and found his way out of the woods and went home. From that day on he never said a bad thing about squirrels.
Maybe if you're just nice to the furry little critters they will go away but when you're mean they get angry and eat your house.
catman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #15
jlrm73

Default Ha ha ha!!!!!

Good stories guys! Thanks Acres per Second...that's amazing!
Catman2, that's a story for TV, I think!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
Eki

OMG, ROTFLMAO

be careful, they shoot back

Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #17
MJM

Yesterday in Wolfeboro we happened to notice an odd-looking critter. The six of us were stumped for a minute or two, then we realized....it was a flying squirrel! Cute little guy, and very cool to watch him fly from tree to tree. Never saw one before.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
kayakn

Our cat has caught two flying squirrels in the last few months. Could not help but to take a really good look at them. Look to be very strong and fast. Huge eyes. Tail shaped funny. Must use like a rudder when flying. Fur texture is different, short very thick and kinked. Someone suggested we have them stuffed. But, too late for that now. Would not want it in my home but, very cute.

EKi...cute picture...
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
secondcurve

You should put a bell on your cat.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #20
Coolbreeze

Grey squirrells are a big problem. I get nervous when I see them running under my truck, I think they are chewing my wires! Several years ago on mothers day we experienced a fire in a nearby town that consumed 13 high end townhomes. The cause was determined to be a squirrell chewing wires on a end unit with cedar shake shingles. Add hot embers and a wind of 20 mph and it turned out to be a busy day.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

I've actually found RED squirrels to be the destructive ones at my house.I've had a few chew their way into my house leaving some nasty damage.I've never seen grey ones come near the house or shed.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #22
KonaChick

We had some red squirrels get in the house a few winters back...little suckers were running through the heating ducts and would stop to stick their noses up through the registers. I was so mad!!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
Grant

Did you know that you can transform regular old gray squirrels into flying squirrels?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #24
jlrm73

Default Rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is hilarious!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Where can I get me one of these....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Did you know that you can transform regular old gray squirrels into flying squirrels?
Grant I must hand it to you... and absolutely marvelous find.... now to start the marketing campaign for it...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #26
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Wow....

This is hard for me... I rarely, if not never, type in here about anything other people find amusing.

This one is the one that I have to comment on. It is obvious from the video that the basket was "baited". This animal was lured in. This is a disgusting example of animal abuse.

Watch the end of the video as the poor thing slams into the tree and falls to the ground. You like this? This animal probably died.. and some of you think it's funny?

What bothers me is the respect I used to have for some of the posters, is gone..

I really hope lot's of other folks will find this as repulsive as I do.

SteveA
Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #27
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Check this out..

On YouTube... there is a comment section... glad to see this and many more like it about this video in there.

Copied and pasted from youtube.com

"What a bunch of jerks. That is not funny. Jeffrey Dahlmer thought it was amusing to torture animals. If you spent more time maintaining your home, the squirrels wouldn't have acces"s. "

I may have spelled it better.. but I couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #28
secondcurve

Steve:

I believe Grant was viewing the video more as a cartoon than a real life event. However, it is real, and if you look closely, as you suggest, the squirrel was likely killed. So I understand your position. Most on this site probably wouldn't want to see innocent animals killed needlessly. Hunting, in season, when animals are harvested and eaten is quite different than killing for fun like what occurred on the video.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
Grant

Default Take a Deeeeep Breath

When I posted this, I knew that the flames were inevitable. After all, we're talking about flinging an innocent squirrel through the air at high speeds. And, yes, I actually did recognize the plight of the squirrels and the inherent cruelty of the act. But you know what? When I saw it, I laughed. Maybe it was the music. Maybe the fact that I deal with a lot of squirrel issues here at home. I do not condone animal abuse. If you read my posts here, you'll know that I am more a conservationist than anything else.

I do, however, have a sense of humor. SteveA -- I posted the video. I did not make it.

Call me callous. Label me insensitive, and the purveyor of content that might be called questionable humor. But if you equate me with Dahmer, you and I have real issues.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #30
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks SC

I agree...

Grant seems like a real good guy....Diver, fisherman and he seems to really respect nature. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but I have a real problem with stuff like this.

My wife and I are very involved in rescuing animals. We feed the birds, the squirells and chipmunks. Stuff like that video is flat out disturbing.

Just saw a show about fishing with explosives... that seems wrong to me too. I'll bet Grant wouldn't like that either! Turns out that it’s becoming more popular every day.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
Pineedles

Default Steve A. You are Wrong

I am not going to be an apologist for Grant's Video. It was the funniest thing I have seen this winter.

Is the recent cold wave affecting some of you? Lighten up. Spring is on the way Squirrels are of the marsupial family or rodent subsection, I don't remember which. Which ever, plenty of people would like to rid them from their homes and the planet. I'm not sure what purpose they play in the grand scheme of predator vs. prey but I'm sure they are in the mix some where. One item though can't be igored... we're in the mix too. There are hungry wolves and there are starving wolves. The wolf that sneaks up on the cute litttle bunny and eats it, is not cruel. And there are funny wolves like Grant!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #32
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Grant

I understand you thought it was funny... and I didn't equate you to Dahlmer.

I know you didn't make the video, or condone the pratice.

But.... I think it would be a real good thing if you would clearly state whether you think loring an animal into a trap and hurling it to it's death is a "Good Thing" or a "Bad Thing" even if it's "funny"
Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #33
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
I agree...

Grant seems like a real good guy....Diver, fisherman and he seems to really respect nature. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but I have a real problem with stuff like this.

My wife and I are very involved in rescuing animals. We feed the birds, the squirells and chipmunks. Stuff like that video is flat out disturbing.

Just saw a show about fishing with explosives... that seems wrong to me too. I'll bet Grant wouldn't like that either! Turns out that it’s becoming more popular every day.
If I had a dime for every time my kids and wife were rescuing injured, abandoned, orphaned animals (rabbits, squirrels, mourning doves, ducklings, chipmunks) here in our "southern" home, I could almost buy Farm Island, and turn it into a sanctuary.

I guess I need to be a little more "PC," like the rest of the nation, when I post.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #34
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
The wolf that sneaks up on the cute litttle bunny and eats it, is not cruel. And there are funny wolves like Grant!
I have no problem with what nature does... cute little bunnies included. I have a real problem withs ANY intentional cruelty to ANY animal... bunnies or wolves. That vidoe showed a planned cruelty to an animal... periopd.. end of discussion.

If you thought it was the funniest thing you saw all winter.. you need to go to the mirror and see if you like what you see.

I'm only wrong in your opinion... and frankly.. I don't care about yours.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #35
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Grant

I'm done with comments on this issue.

Thanks for your most recent post. It dosen't surprise me at all that you and your family care about animals. Like I said.. I've seen your posts on fishing and diving. My experience is that noone has more respect for animals than the hunters and fishermen.. (fisherpeople more PC ? )

I really dislike most "PC"... but this one hit some real sore spots for me. My apology for any offense you took.. and any "over the top" comments I made. None was intended.

SteveA
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #36
Grant

No offense taken. I kinda knew that it could ruffle some feathers, and maybe should've thought twice. But I didn't and I'm not apologizing. Guess it's easier to dismiss something as comedy when it's on video and put to music. And I will never deny having a 14 year old sense of humor. And if I watched it again tonight, I'd probably still bust out laughing. That's me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #37
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Excellent way to end a disagreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Your mileage may vary.
Perfect!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #38
ApS

Talking They're tougher'n you think...

We once startled a gray squirrel on our porch, who raced from the porch at top speed—into space! It was a 20-foot drop to the ground—worse, he had leaped where the ground fell away to about 30 feet! He never missed a beat, and continued to run off to the nearest tree. They will miss the occasional leap between trees. I watched a gray squirrel make several "trial runs" on one branch before a particularly long leap. Funny to watch a squirrel "studying" his next leap.

Another time, I caught a red squirrel chewing on my favorite porch chair. I picked up the nearest item to throw—a charcoal briquette—and threw it in his direction. It hit him—he dropped—and didn't get up!

A bit dismayed, he got placed in a container to keep an eye on him. Sure enough, he slowly regained consciousness.

He was transferred to a Hav-a-Hart trap and was covered with a blanket. Of course, he proceeded to chew a hole in the blanket . He got released at the town dump, none the worse for the experience.

I watched the video with amused interest, and wasn't too concerned for the "flying" squirrels. Anyone catch the "release mechanism" behind the glass door?

Anyway, if they annoy you for handouts, you can always scold them:
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #39
Pineedles

Default SteveA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA

If you thought it was the funniest thing you saw all winter.. you need to go to the mirror and see if you like what you see.

I'm only wrong in your opinion... and frankly.. I don't care about yours.
What a grouch! I too will stop posting on this thread before this gets ugly.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #40
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Pineedles

I was clearly a bit too strong in my response to you. I'm sorry that I let too much of my "upset" about the video be directed at you.

As stated in a previous post.. we are very envolved in animal rescue, and the prevention of cruelty to animals. Just today we added a new member to our "rescued cat" family... a 14 year old that had to be given up by his owners that were moving to a place where they couldn't have a cat. Because of his age, his chances of finding a new home were about zero..

The NH Humane Society has us on a list!

Maybe I can lighten this up with a picture of him.. His name is Leo

Name:  Leo 06.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  50.0 KB

SteveA
Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #41
Pineedles

Default SteveA

I apologize for what appeared to be callous disregard for humane treatment of animals. It is not my nature to abuse or neglect animals as I have been the provider to 4 cats and 4 dogs over my adult life. I hope Leo finds a home.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #42
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks!

Leo has a home... my comments weren't very clear... He's joined our family!

SteveA