Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
4 for Boating

Default Shed (Permit?)

Anyone have any experience/info/links to if a permit is needed in Meredith to have a shed placed on a lot?

Background: The lot is wooded, about 1 acre and not on the water. We would like to buy one of those pre-fab units (Maybe 12x12) and drop it on the property for storage and such. Not thinking about any real foundation, just maybe 4 or five sonnet tubes filled with concrete for it to sit on and provide a level base. Not tree cutting …..

Do I need to go to the town to do such a thing?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
dpg

Sorry can't speak for Meredith but I know a bit about Mass (for what's it's worth.) Anything up to 12x12 does not need any foundation "fixed" underneath. Larger than that size and you need either a foundation or sonnet tubes. Both do require a permit from you local town however. Hope this helps I would imaging N.H. is close.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
chipj29

I know in my town (Bow) you would need a permit. I think you would need one as well, but it would be best to give your town offices a call to be sure.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Gatto Nero

I believe the rule in Meredith is that you need a permit for anything over a certain dollar value, $500 or $1,000 maybe. Either way I'm sure you'll spend more than that on a 12 x 12 so you're going to need one.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
EZ-Pass

Thumbs up

I believe that you will find that your town is the same as most all towns and that is, anything over 10 X 10 or 100 square feet and/or closer than 10 feet to any boundry line will need a permit. Footings for a shed is really not a real issue to code officers due to what it houses and the weight of the building.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Kamper

You'll want to call town-hall for the best answer to this. All details can vary wildly from town to town.

Many towns don't require permits for "temporary" buildings. "Temporary" means whatever the town wants it to mean. Usually no foundation or pad, Sometimes putting cinderblocks/bricks/stones between the shed and ground make it permanent. Some places have no such classificaton and even tents are structures if they are not taken down promptly (like Hudson).

I'd expect the rules to say sheds less than 'X' square feet and not over 'Y' tall, do not need a permit. Also there is frequently a set-back requirement so you want to know where the lot line is. Usually if your neighbors have a shed then you can have something of that type in your yard.

That's all think I know about that.

It sounds like you are going to build a real shed but if you are considerring a "tent" shed send me a PM and I'll be glad to give you some tips based on my experience with these structures. I don't sell them but I've used a couple and fiddled with them to meet my needs.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Happy Gourmand

Default Building permit for a shed in Meredith.

You need one. I found out the hard way and had to pay $100 fine in addition to the cost of the permit.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
4 for Boating

Default Shed Permit

Thanks for the information and thoughts.

I think I will give the town a call and in all likelihood from the above, get a permit.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote