Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Hermit Cover

Default Wasp Nest removal....Help

We have a really nice wasp nest growing in a vent cover on the side of our home....anyone know of a pest removal person or company that can remove these critters and their hotel?
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
fatlazyless

The new Dollar Tree store in Gilford, next to Wal-Mart, should have 25' hornet & wasp spray for one dollar. It really works too.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
EZ-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The new Dollar Tree store in Gilford, next to Wal-Mart, should have 25' hornet & wasp spray for one dollar. It really works too.
The above suggestion is the best, cheapest and real easy to do. Best to do it just at dusk (almost dark) to insure all bees are in the nest.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
ApS

Default D.I.Y. Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
"...We have a really nice wasp nest growing in a vent cover on the side of our home..."
If it's a mud wasp nest, you can reasonably leave it for Autumn. If it's an "open" nest made by "paper wasps", it's easily sprayed at dusk.

If it's a "closed" nest with the opening at the base, you'll have to stand under it while spraying until the nest empties out. (Yuck).

If the "closed" nest is at the maximum range of the spray, it's not a DIY operation—IMHO—unless the insecticide can be sprayed at an effective rate from an adjacent window.

WTH...Think of it as an $8 experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While I agree that a DIY extermination is called for in this instance, I wouldn't use anything that wasn't a brand name. (Unless it's a brand name and only $1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Pass View Post
"...Best to do it just at dusk..."
If you spray during the day, the hive's inhabitants will be intense as they buzz-around for days.

Ask me how I know!

ETA:

Since it's so big, (although girth is "waist-size"), it probably went unnoticed for weeks and it's a low-traffic [human] area. You may simply leave them alone this season.

Check out this technique—for next time:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2752

Last edited by ApS; 08-11-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Adding everything from ETA down.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Dr. Green

For those who care about the environment:

They are best dealt with in the night or early morning when it is cool and they are in their nest and drowsy. One can place a sturdy plastic bag around the nest and remove it to a freezer. Or release the nest somewhere that won't give your problem to someone else.

I believe that Pyrethrin is a organic insecticide to kill, if that is one's intention, the stinging winged ones. It is derived from a South American flower. It is a broad spectrum insecticide so care must be taken not to spray other unintended targets.

Common wasp killing sprays (unfortunately, like many other products on the market) are full of toxic chemicals that have strong negative effects on other wildlife and humans, and should be avoided if at all possible. Hopefully someday humans will awaken to the environmental damage that their everyday choices create, and choose to live more sustainably.
Dr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Hermit Cover

Default Thanks....but....

Unfortunately the vent is located up....26 feet up....in a fresh air exchange system vent....and I think that being caught up on an extension ladder...when the spray hits the "front door" of the nest (8" in girth) ....should probably best be left to a pro.....I called one that specialized in wasps and hornets....and he said he doesn't leave the ground?????No ladders!!!Call someone else!! Next time I'll invite these buggers to build their nest on the ground....
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
chipj29

Quote:
Unfortunately the vent is located up....26 feet up....in a fresh air exchange system vent....and I think that being caught up on an extension ladder...when the spray hits the "front door" of the nest (8" in girth) ....should probably best be left to a pro.....I called one that specialized in wasps and hornets....and he said he doesn't leave the ground?????No ladders!!!Call someone else!! Next time I'll invite these buggers to build their nest on the ground....
You might have to wait until it gets colder at night. Get up there just before dark as someone suggested. Spray it and get down the ladder quickly but safely. Wear a hat, jeans and a sweatshirt or jacket to protect yourself from stings. Make sure you have another person nearby in case you need someone to hold the ladder.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
fatlazyless

For just one dollar the Dollar Tree's wasp spray will not be P&G, Dow, or Chevron. But, for about 25 cents the suggestion of placing the nest into a plastic bag, and then into the freezer could be considered. Let us know how that works out. Could be it only sounds threatening but maybe it is easily doable?

Do wasps sting when upset?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
dpg

Quote:
Geez, does he only treat the walking kind?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote