Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
JayR

Default Kimball Castle Development

All, as a quasi-abutter (Scenic Drive / Belknap Point Road area) I received notice from the Town of Gilford of a meeting regarding the development of the Kimball's Castle land - not the first time for this property, which as you may know was once willed by the Kimball descendants to the town, with stipulations to never develop it, though the town at some point reworded it, allowing possible development on part of it, to ease the cost of preserving the rest.

The meeting was scheduled in December, then pushed to January's meeting, then pushed to next Monday night's meeting. It appears they want to turn it in to a large wedding venue and event center with parking, tent areas, and such. Seems similar, possibly smaller, to what is being proposed in West Alton, just a hilltop or two to the south.

Has anyone any further info on it? My neighbors are pushing to launch opposition, and I am researching as best I can. I want to got to the meeting but am 100 miles away, it is iffy for my schedule next week.

Last edited by JayR; 02-07-2024 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Add an historical fact to opening sentence
JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:11 AM   #2
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
All, as a quasi-abutter (Scenic Drive / Belknap Point Road area) I received notice from the Town of Gilford of a meeting regarding the development of the Kimball's Castle land - not the first time for this property, which as you may know was once willed by the Kimball descendants to the town, with stipulations to never develop it, though the town at some point reworded it, allowing possible development on part of it, to ease the cost of preserving the rest.

The meeting was scheduled in December, then pushed to January's meeting, then pushed to next Monday night's meeting. It appears they want to turn it in to a large wedding venue and event center with parking, tent areas, and such. Seems similar, possibly smaller, to what is being proposed in West Alton, just a hilltop or two to the south.

Has anyone any further info on it? My neighbors are pushing to launch opposition, and I am researching as best I can. I want to got to the meeting but am 100 miles away, it is iffy for my schedule next week.
This has been in the works for a while now, not new. Articles online date back to 2018 discussing this. Maybe they are finally getting ready to start.

The Starkey's purchased it in Sept 2018.

https://concordmonitor.com/Looking-f...astle-20115883
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

This could be a wonderful landmark again, similar to Castle in the Clouds, on a smaller scale. Unfortunately, every year the cost of rehab goes up. I'd love to see this move forward.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote