Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Peter

Default 4th of July traditions

OK, time to share your 4th of July traditions at the lake. Since I've spent every single one of my 4th of July's at the lake (in the Tuftonboro area), I couldn't imagine missing one.

When I was a kid, my family used to enter a home made float in the Wolfeboro parade for several years. We'd usually make fun of some local hot topic at the time: Gypsy moths (got dressed up like Gypsy moths in garbage bags), Olympics (got dressed up like the Dream Team, PJs and pillows) and even pulled an outhouse through town when people were complaining about the lack of public restrooms. All planning for these ideas could not occur until the night before the parade. Great family fun and lots of laughs from the crowds. Even started a lawn chair brigade before the one that currently appears every year now.

Besides that, there is always a fun family BBQ with family and friends. Plus, many nights of watching local fireworks being shot off by neighbors and distant towns alike.

What are your fond memories?
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
riverat

Usually a BBQ for lunch than over to Alton Bay where we secure our parking spot and sitting spot. Than dinner at Pop's and settle in to enjoy the concert, and people and boat watching.
Than we enjoy the firework show and hang back until most traffic has moved on and than back home to enjoy a campfire with friends and family to the wee hours of the morning.
Can't wait.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
CrownRay

Yup. Almost all the July 4th's in the last 25 years were spent on the lake! We usually take the boat to either of the harbor shows, and then book it back to our dock to watch the parade of boats go by.

This year will be the same. Although, I did try to convice the family to stay home and take the "other" boat to the Charles and watch the BIG SHOW...

That didn't go over very well.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
sa meredith

Default 4th

Golf in the morning. Sox on the radio in the afternoon.
Wouldn't even consider the boat that day. Just too many clueless captains on the 4th. And just about every Saturday for that matter.
Hoping to kick off weekend with perfect weather on Thursday (tomorrow) with a boat trip to Johnson's Cove, and Sox/Phila at 1:30. Anchoring there on a quiet, sunny, weekday afternoon, with the Sox on the radio... seriously don't know what could possibly be better.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

My brother and his family who I haven't seen in three years is coming to visit this weekend so it's a little extra special...

Surf and Turf barbeque on the island featuring king crab legs and tenderloin steak.

We will wash that down with a special bottle of wine saved for special occasions.

More refreshments at the tiki bar will follow while listening to Stepehen Stills first and second album in the background.

Dave, our favorite pilot, will then be picking us all up at my breakwater to take us on a seaplane ride around the lake.

This will be followed by more refreshments at the tiki bar with Joe Bonamassa playing in the background.

The finale will be to blow off the ridiculous amount of fireworks I purchased this year off our dock then sit around the outdoor fireplace smelling the pine wood burning, sipping fine wine, telling exaggerated family stories of years past while listening to James Taylor quietly playing in the background...

Can't wait!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
jkjoshuatree

Default When Can I Stop By??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
My brother and his family who I haven't seen in three years is coming to visit this weekend so it's a little extra special...

Surf and Turf barbeque on the island featuring king crab legs and tenderloin steak.

We will wash that down with a special bottle of wine saved for special occasions.

More refreshments at the tiki bar will follow while listening to Stepehen Stills first and second album in the background.

Dave, our favorite pilot, will then be picking us all up at my breakwater to take us on a seaplane ride around the lake.

This will be followed by more refreshments at the tiki bar with Joe Bonamassa playing in the background.

The finale will be to blow off the ridiculous amount of fireworks I purchased this year off our dock then sit around the outdoor fireplace smelling the pine wood burning, sipping fine wine, telling exaggerated family stories of years past while listening to James Taylor quietly playing in the background...

Can't wait!

Dan

Sounds perfect Dan!!!

I think I've only missed 3 4th of July's in 38 years at the lake.

I take my time getting there (guess I kind of have to going through Meredith on the 4th), meandering around here and there and stopping just to people watch.

All my siblings and their kids, as well as my parents will be on Bear Island and the next door neighbors give an amazing firework show from their swim raft.

A new tradition is the pig roast the same neighbors have (luckily they're right next door) so we walk back and forth from our place to theirs and have our own mini "block" party.

Can't forget to mention that my dad drapes his dads' WWI flag over the porch railing in honor of him and all the other US Service men and women that give us the opportunity to celebrate holidays such as the 4th!!!!

Have a safe and wonderful weekend everyone!!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

What a great idea for a thread! Thanks for starting this!

Our July 4th celebration is a double-good time, as our oldest boy's birthday is just the day before. The oldest Arglet decided to come into the world a tad bit early, as we'd just closed and were moving during a heat wave. He's turning the big "one-oh" (ten) this weekend.

Argie's band has a gig at a local camp ground (Tamworth) and we usually stay over night for that, too. There's fireworks, cookouts, and all that. Mainly it's an excuse to make a lot of noise, stay up really late, and have a lot of fun!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

When I was very young my parents would take us to the fireworks in Center Harbor. We would go in our PJ'S to watch them with a small amount of people. Now I still go, but I don't wear my PJ's and I watch the fireworks with a lot more people. The traffic is certainly much worse now also. For the past 10 years I have also gone to the fireworks also on the 3rd in Ashland. Those fireworks are GREAT!!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
CateP

Default My First Fourth

This will be my first 4th of July as a soon-to-be new resident. I have no traditions, but will be starting some with my new friends this weekend. I have a list of activities to check out, thanks to the forum calendar.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I have always loved the Wolfeboro parade, Cate. If you have a chance, go watch it! It is a ten a.m.

After the parade we always have a family/friends picnic. The lake is too busy for us but we do go the very short distance by boat from our house to the family picnic.

We used to always go by boat to the Alton (the 3rd) and/or Wolfeboro (the 4th) fireworks but not so much anymore. Sometimes we would just sit in the middle of the broads and watch them go off in the various towns at dusk.

I love the Fourth of July!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Pineedles

Default 4th menu

Aside from the Center Harbor fireworks that we watched from our wharf, what I remember most was the traditional menu of Poached Salmon with hollandaise sauce, fresh green peas from my grandfather's garden in Center Sandwich, and parsley potatoes, too early for his garden to produce, probably from Idaho.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
When I was a kid, my family used to enter a home made float in the Wolfeboro parade for several years. We'd usually make fun of some local hot topic at the time: Gypsy moths (got dressed up like Gypsy moths in garbage bags), Olympics (got dressed up like the Dream Team, PJs and pillows) and even pulled an outhouse through town when people were complaining about the lack of public restrooms.
Peter: was this your float?

The Wolfeboro parade is a great tradition. I love the lawn chair brigade!

and the majorette!

...and finally.....proof that there are at least two democrats in Wolfeboro!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
natureboy79

basin girl, I'm taking my 5 yr old to see the Ashland fireworks this year for the first time. Do you sit right at the field or is there a better place to see them? I'm assuming it gets pretty busy also?How are the activities before the fireworks?Hopefully the t-storms hold off on Sunday. On Monday we will do a family cook out then get ice cream before heading to the Wolfeboro fireworks.
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Doesn't matter what your doing for the 4th, there is no place quite like being on the lake. The only bummer for me was I was hoping that this year would be different and instead of hauling the boat back and forth I'd finally have a place of my own (Island property) but just hasn't happened yet. Growing up our family used to spend the 4th on the lake and it was something as a kid that was nothing short of magical and even to this day as a "big kid" it hasn't changed. The cool thing is that I get to enjoy watching my own family enjoy it which is really great. Maybe next year the back and forth to the lake hauling the boat will be a thing of the past but who knows.

One side note, as somebody who spent time in the military and deployed twice overseas, it really gave me a different perspective on just how great this country really is and how much we have to be thankful for. I urge everyone to cherish what you have and the freedoms that we enjoy, but most of all the sacrifice of those who have paid the ultimate price.

"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature."
Benjamin Franklin

God bless this great country of ours! Happy 4th to you all
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-30-2011), rrr (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy79 View Post
basin girl, I'm taking my 5 yr old to see the Ashland fireworks this year for the first time. Do you sit right at the field or is there a better place to see them? I'm assuming it gets pretty busy also?How are the activities before the fireworks?Hopefully the t-storms hold off on Sunday. On Monday we will do a family cook out then get ice cream before heading to the Wolfeboro fireworks.
They may have activities earlier in the day, but I have never been. They have food vendors ( like a carnival) and some other things. I don't know where you are coming from, but I arrive from Moultonborough. I always park up near the Common Man Restaurant because it is easier to get your car out from that area with the traffic. When you walk down towards the field you will see plenty of places to sit. If you sit on the hill overlooking the field I would suggest you bring chairs. If you sit down in the field area you can bring chairs or sit on blankets. The kids will really like it. My son ( now 22 years old) really enjoyed going when he was growing up. With a 5 year old it might be better to sit in the field by all the food etc. You will be able to see the fireworks from almost anywhere. They pass a bucket around for donations and you can also buy raffle tickets for a monetary prize. I always go to the Ashland fireworks and the Center Harbor fireworks. The display in Ashland is always better, but in Center Harbor the display is over beautiful L. Winnipesaukee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
natureboy79 (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy79 View Post
I have been to these many times, their is not really a bad seat in the house... At one point they do light off a ground display that you absolutely cannot see from everywhere but from the front but the rest makes up for it hands down! Ashland by far has the best fireworks on the 4th of July!!
natureboy79 (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #17
Peter

Default Response to McDude

McDude, that wasn't a picture of our outhouse in the 4th of the July parade. Most of the parades we entered were back in the 1980's. We even won a few trophies!

The picture of the majorette though is my great aunt. She has always gotten dressed up over the years in groovy outfits and has a grand time.

Thanks everyone for sharing your memories/traditions of 4th of July! It has really gotten me in the mood. Driving up tomorrow morning bright and early to avoid the traffic.

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
ApS

Smile Wolfeboro Traditions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I'd finally have a place of my own (Island property) but just hasn't happened yet.
I just received a mailer with a few non-island lakefront properties for under $300K; conversely, an Alton place that looks like Bob Bahre's is available for $7M+. Did Bahre's mansion take longer to build, than the time that he lived in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
One side note, as somebody who spent time in the military and deployed twice overseas, it really gave me a different perspective on just how great this country really is and how much we have to be thankful for. I urge everyone to cherish what you have and the freedoms that we enjoy, but most of all the sacrifice of those who have paid the ultimate price.

"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature."
Benjamin Franklin
God bless this great country of ours! Happy 4th to you all
I prepare for the 4th by putting the dogs under the bed and closing the door.

Within the memories of three generations—and just two decades after WWI, Wolfeboro had its own "Fourth of July" parade, leading with a Camp Wyanoke band, with everyone "in step"—even the littlest in the band!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
camp guy (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
angela4design

Thumbs up Veterans!

Traditions aside...
Thanks to our Veterans, for making and keeping America free and Independent to begin with! God Bless America!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-01-2011), camp guy (07-01-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default George Orwell

I believe George Orwell said it best...

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Have a safe and Happy 4th everyone!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-02-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #21
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Driving up tomorrow morning bright and early to avoid the traffic.
I'm leaving NJ at 5:00 a.m. to avoid traffic. Hope everyone else isn't thinking the same thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #22
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default 7:00 a.m.

..and I am leaving New Haven at 7:00 a..m. Perhaps we will pass each other on the road, Cate! Have a safe trip, and a marvelous 4th of July!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
Greene's Basin Girl

Redwing- I wish you were coming up tonight. Thanks to Vitabene's suggestion a few of us are going to Buckey's tonight to see Jam Sandwich play. You need to hurry up and leave CT. for good. Being here year round is a good thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
CateP

Good luck and safe traveling to all!!
BTW-This crazy driving thing will NOT be one of my 4th of July traditions.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #25
Bear Islander

Since 1977 I have worked at the Pops Concert at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade in Boston. When I started Arthur Fiedler was the conductor.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
Barney Bear

Default Lawn Chair Drill Team

Last evening, New Hampshire Chronicle on WMUR [channel 9] featured the great lawn chair drill team mentioned earlier in this thread. Looks like they have a fun time every Fourth of July!!!
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #27
trfour

Post Remembering Our Veterans

Making a difference clip from NBC's Nightly News.
Widowed by war, women join together; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/...news/#43626765

God Bless, and Happy Fourth to all!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
conversely, an Alton place that looks like Bob Bahre's is available for $7M+. Did Bahre's mansion take longer to build, than the time that he lived in it?
Let's see 7 million at 6% over 30 years is only ~44K per month. No problem!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote