Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Year-round Island Occupants??

Recently, there have been references to packing up for the winter by various posters. Not uncommon for this time of year, especially for the island dwellers. That got me to thinking. How many full time inhabitants on the islands are there in Winnipesaukee? I remember seeing a tv show or perhaps reading an article, about someone that lived full time on one of the lake's islands. Does anyone know any information about this?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Live Free or Die

Default Year round??

What would you do when the Lake just started to freeze, cant boat, cant sled......I guess if you could walk on water you would be ok
Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
spotsink

Lightbulb Island living - year round

I've heard of a gentleman who lives on Cow Island year round and gets around by hovercraft when the ice is in the lake.

Check out the links below:
http://www.neoterichovercraft.com/
http://www.hovpod.com/

They are expensive toys... but look like a lot of fun!
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Orion

There are actually three year round residents on Cow Island alone. I don't know about the other islands. There are really only a few weeks on each side of "safe ice" where you can't get on/off the islands without a hovercraft or airboat. Just need to plan ahead and stock food (there's plenty of water!). Hovercraft aren't really any more expensive than most of the boats running around in the summer, they're just different and take different skills to pilot.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
CEP

Living on an Island year round must be a blast!
There must be a lot of planning for that, but after the planning, its just sit back and wait for ice in or ice out.
There must be a lot of stories of things that have taken place, living year round on an Island.

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Lady Di

Default Oh Joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP
Living on an Island year round must be a blast!
There must be a lot of planning for that, but after the planning, its just sit back and wait for ice in or ice out.
There must be a lot of stories of things that have taken place, living year round on an Island.

CEP
As if it wasn't lonely and boring enough on a dead end street. Imagine 9 months with nothing to listen to but the wind howling.....

Summer is one thing......but winter? Like a nightmare. At least for me.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
CEP

Default Lady Di

Oh! I'm sure there are a lot of winter projects that need to be done, that would keep you busy.

If there were other cottages on the Island, I'm sure the owners would like someone around to check on their places and make sure all is secure.

As for the wind howling! That just tells you to put another log on the fire.

I'm sure you wouldn't be alone, there would be people out ice fishing and buzzing around the lake.

I still think it would be an adventure and a blast!

CEP
Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
tricia1218

Full time island residents must have some great stories of island living in the winter. The planning, and guess work, when will the lake freeze? Do i have enough wood, food? Alot of planning must be involved, I am intrigued, of course I live about 5 minutes to the local market, and do not have to worry if the road is thick enough to drive on.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #9
Lady Di

Default AH Ha......this is just another reason I love it there in the summer..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP
Oh! I'm sure there are a lot of winter projects that need to be done, that would keep you busy.

If there were other cottages on the Island, I'm sure the owners would like someone around to check on their places and make sure all is secure.

As for the wind howling! That just tells you to put another log on the fire.

I'm sure you wouldn't be alone, there would be people out ice fishing and buzzing around the lake.

I still think it would be an adventure and a blast!

CEP

I have had all the wind blowing, the sleet et al, for a lifetime. HOWEVER, I would like to read about what those of you who are there do to keep yourselves from going bonkers....

I used to read a lot. (still do...btw). Ice skated, also. Even those adventures in the car in Wolfeboro bay. I would also like to know what the median age is of those of you who post on a regular basis. How many are retired? WHat is your occupation? It's not that we have different likes, it's just that we're in different places in our lives.

Ex: I could have whooped anyone's you know what in tobogganing just about 20 years ago. There wasn't much I didn't try.

Oh yah......I loved it there. Til I got poor, and that made me think a whole different thought about the wind.
BUt......now that I am happy again, I can think about it there, and share with you.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
Lady Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia1218
Full time island residents must have some great stories of island living in the winter. The planning, and guess work, when will the lake freeze? Do i have enough wood, food? Alot of planning must be involved, I am intrigued, of course I live about 5 minutes to the local market, and do not have to worry if the road is thick enough to drive on.
Yup.....the lake froze. Yup.......had enough food. Yup......had enough wood, or I would be cold. Yup.....have electricity, or would not be writing.

I really, really want someone to keep a diary here, so we can all share what it's like to be there. Surely there is something better than the wind and the cold. On the island, that is. On the mainland I know what there is to offer. Work, for one thing......then hobbies.....such as singing......church etc...

Can't wait to read some stories.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 PM   #11
Orion

Smile perspectives

Lady Di, I think you're viewing the potential of the experience only from your perspective. The fact of the matter is that there are many people who LOVE the winter and all it's beauty up here. The Lake represents a really unique environment to view the wonders of a New England winter. Living on the islands in winter is not a 9-month stint of isolation. There are only a few weeks on either end where ice is not traversable (without hovercraft). The rest of the time is not much different than in summer, but you use a snowmobile (or later a car/truck) instead of a boat to get back and forth. You really can live a normal life.....you're not banished to the hinterlands for 9 months. Boating up to early January, then back to the boats by mid/late April (that's only 4 months, with access throughout).

It seems like a great challenge which I hope to try some day soon.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
CEP

Default Orion

I agree 100%

CEP
Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
Senter Cove Guy

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
Boating up to early January, ...
Is there "motor" boating up to early January? What about the freezing temperatures? Won't your engine freeze up? I'd hate to be rowing.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Boating in january

If you have an outboard, there will be no problem leaving the boat in the water up until the ice starts to form. The water drains back into the lake when the motor is off. There was a couple of occasions that I had to break a thin layer of ice at the launch ramp to get the boat on the trailer.
It is a weird feeling to boat in the middle of a snowstorm.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 11-02-2005 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Woodsy

Boating until January..... depends on alot of factors!

The water temp of the lake is the biggest factor. I would start getting nervous when the water temp falls below 38 degrees or so...

If your boat has an outboard on it, your pretty safe from freezing as they are self draining.

If you have an inboard/outboard you will need to put some sort of heat in the bilge. Usually a high wattage light bulb will do. I recommend using a pair of them in case one blows out....

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation Dipstick heater

A fellow boater bought a dipstick heater that actually heats up the oil in the oil pan. I don't know where you can get one, but a search on the internet came up with several brands. Since warmth rise, I bet it keeps the block warm enought to prevent the water from freezing.
You will have to connect it to shore line.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

When I was stationed at Eielson AFB Alaska in the late 60's and early 70's, you would "plug in the car" every night during the winter. The plug wire ran to a standed 4 plug box that you would mount under the hood, and plugged into that would be a battery plate heater that would keep the battery warm, a circulating heater (normally) that was installed into the cooling system which would keep the water in the system reasonably warm, a heater that would circulate air in the car to keep the windows from fogging and then icing over, and a night lite so you knew the plug that everything was connected to was live!!!! Some folks would also use a "dipstick" heater or "oil pan heater (had coils and bolted to the bottom of the oil pan)", especially with an air cooled vehicle like a volkswagon.

Best way to "die a young person in Alaska"?????? ...Unplug their car and get caught doing it!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #18
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
When I was stationed at Eielson AFB Alaska in the late 60's and early 70's, you would "plug in the car" every night during the winter. The plug wire ran to a standed 4 plug box that you would mount under the hood, and plugged into that would be a battery plate heater that would keep the battery warm, a circulating heater (normally) that was installed into the cooling system which would keep the water in the system reasonably warm, a heater that would circulate air in the car to keep the windows from fogging and then icing over, and a night lite so you knew the plug that everything was connected to was live!!!! Some folks would also use a "dipstick" heater or "oil pan heater (had coils and bolted to the bottom of the oil pan)", especially with an air cooled vehicle like a volkswagon.

Best way to "die a young person in Alaska"?????? ...Unplug their car and get caught doing it!!!!!!
I bet they weren't paying the CO-OP rates to keep them all going?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 AM   #19
CEP

Default Upthesaukee

I was also stationed at Eielson AFB in the late 60's and early 70's.
We may have crossed paths at one point.
Especially if you went to the BX.
I was in the Fire Dept. and worked at Station#1 on the flight line.
My rank was E-4 and we use to hang out at the NCO Club.
I'm sure you must have taken the shuttle bus to the big city of Fairbanks!!!
I enjoyed the SUNNY midnight hikes we use to take in the summer, until a cow moose chased us out of the woods and back to base housing area!!
It is nice to know someone from good old Eielson!!
Ever thought of going back there?
Hope you might e-mail me and we can write about Alaska!

Have a good one!
CEP
Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 AM   #20
CEP

Default Question

For those who are fortunate enough to live year round on an Island are there Police and Medical staff available when an emergancy arises?

Thanks,

CEP
Old 11-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #21
CEP

Default Island Res.

Are year round Island people retired or do they have a 9-5 job?
If they have a job, I would think that some parts of the year they wouldn't be able to make it to work! How does that work??

CEP
Old 11-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #22
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP
... I would think that some parts of the year they wouldn't be able to make it to work! How does that work?? CEP
I knew of a school teacher that lived year 'round on Whorltleberry Island. He rented a room at a motel for three weeks in January and April. At those times of year, he was offered quite a discount.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #23
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP
For those who are fortunate enough to live year round on an Island are there Police and Medical staff available when an emergancy arises?
I know Tuftonboro just got a new airboat last year. That will travel over ice, even if it is not quite frozen.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #24
CEP

Default Bizer/KPW

My friends all have questions about the lake and I am sometimes left in the dark with an answer but with people like you the light is turned on!!

Many thanks for the reply.

CEP
Old 01-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #25
Locke's Islander

Smile Year around island LIVING!

After many years of remodeling for retiring to our island camp for "yearround" living we retired in 1989. Our hovercraft was the connection to Glendale and the car.
(see "THINGS THAT FLOAT", posted by Island Girl). We
frequently went to shore, often at night, for supplies and
our social life. Transportation was by whatever was appropiate for the ice conditions. Sled, car, or HVC. It was
a wonderful adventure for 8 years. When my wife became ill we came ashore for the winter - christmas to iceout! I will be forever grateful for those 8 years. Our grandchildren
are the 6th generation to enjoy Lockes Island, both summer and winter visits.
Locke's Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #26
Pepper

Talking Locke's Islander ...

Just wanted to say I hope we're going to see you at the Alton Bay Winter Festival! In fact, it'd be really nice to see your daughter and granddaughter as well! The three of you could perhaps arrive via your famous hovercraft?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #27
Yankee

Living on an island all year long has always been a dream of mine. I doubt if it will every come true, with the price of real estate these days.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #28
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
Living on an island all year long has always been a dream of mine. I doubt if it will every come true, with the price of real estate these days.
I'm right there with 'ya! I've always dreamed of living on an island, too,. My problem is, the island I want to live on is Bermuda!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #29
fatlazyless

Default Governor's Island winter solitude

It takes a special type to live all winter out on Governor's Island. All the summer cottages get closed up in early October and everyone moves back to their regular lives on the mainland. No more than two or three wish to rough it for a Governor's Island winter. Chopping kindling, cleaning the wood stove, and tuning into distant AM radio signals soon becomes the dailey routine. ....all that solitude.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #30
The Worm

Gee... sounds pretty rough out there Less, thank God we've had a fairly mild winter so far, wouldn't want you to hurt yourself shoveling all that snow off of the hot tub, and if the bridge gets too icy you may have to wait an extra day before you run out for a pizza or a burger. Hang in there buddy... spring is only 63 days away!!

The Worm...
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #31
dpg

Pepper - I'm with you. Visited the Bahamas over christmas and I'm still there (if only mentally )
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #32
fatlazyless

Default ...cross that bridge

Every time I see that 'entering Laconia' sign as I exit the Governor's Island bridge, I always think how Laconia missed the boat, big time, when Gilford got it. Laconia could pay for a new high school and middle school with a G.I. toll booth by charging all those Escalades, BMWs & Hummers one penney/horsepower for every trip back or forth from the mainland. Talk about a toll based on one's ability to pay. "Yes Dearie, just a brief 8:30 trip to the post office to get today's Journal, and will be right back in plenty time to supervise the lawn boy." "No honey, go take your time."
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #33
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I'm right there with 'ya! I've always dreamed of living on an island, too,. My problem is, the island I want to live on is Bermuda!
Yep, that would be vedy, vedy nice!

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote