Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Just got back from Lake George, NY.

Boy they do things different over there. $100.00 fee to splash your boat if your from out of state.
They have an amusement park just outside of town. Nice long boardwalk with restaurants, bars, marinas, boat rentals, etc right on the Water. Bustling Main street with lots to do in a very short walkable distance. Lots of hotels and B&B's. Three or 4 big tour boats, with bands and fireworks every Thursday. They sure know how to live it up in Lake George compared to here. There had to be easily 10,000 people walking on main Street on Saturday night. Puts the Weirs to shame. I know that is how everyone likes it, but I'll bet the economy is a bit better in the Lake George region due to having so much to do there. Just an observation of course.
Had to laugh at the fact that I went to another lake on my vacation, when I live on one full time.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
spider22

Was there any events going on that would have drawn a big crowd.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
VtSteve

But it's so totally different over there LR, it's still a vaca for ya.

I've always thought that the Weirs could be turned into something like the Lake George downtown, but likely smaller. The main drag at LG is pretty darn long. It's actually a fun walk at night, some very good restaurants, a very nice blend of posh shops all the way down to typical inexpensive tourist traps. It's a very, very busy late night area.

It's nice to have the contrast between the main drag, and the northern part of the lake which is largely undeveloped by comparison. Lots of contrasts there for sure.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lake George

I believe the northern part of the lake is a State Park or Forest. That is why it is not developed. Lake George benefits from the NYC and 'burbs. Lots of money.

Weirs Beach is prodominently Lowell, Lawrence ethnic population. They spend the day on the beach and return home. Not a population that you can make big bucks on.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
regalguy

hmmmmm, not quite sure how to take your post broadhopper. Didn't sound all that politically correct to me. Just my own opinion. Ethnic population from Lowell, Lawrence? Non spenders? WOW
regalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regalguy For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-12-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
windham17

I grew up in the Lake George, NY area and have a home on Lake Winnipesaukee. The two lake are actually very similar.

Lake George does have a larger more developed area around it's main town, it kind of combines what you would find in North Conway with Wiers and really has a more full set of family offerings for residents and tourists a like. I think Weirs could benefit from adding more complete and higher quality family offerings. I think that would draw families from all over new england and be a benefit to the economy.

That being said, I think Lake Winnipesaukee is more unique with the small towns such as Meredith and Wolfeboro that give that unique new englange charm. Lake George doesn't quite have the same. Also, Lake Winnipesaukee has much better boating in my opinion with many more places to explore.
windham17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Lakesrider

Sorry I wasn't trying to show any disrespect to LW. Just the contrast.
I guess the thing that first strikes you is the availability of the waterfront area to the public. For the town to have businesses, instead of all homes on the waterfront was different to see. I think that is what makes Lake George popular. Around here there are very few access points for the out of state folks to get to. The Weirs, Wolfeboro town docks, Meredith, Alton town docks etc sure, but they certainly don't have the draw that lake George seems to have. I mean where on Lake Winnipesaukee can you find a place with over 50 boats for rent and then right next dock over have a guy that rents out about 40 Pontoon boats?
I was with a group of car guys and their wives this past 4 days up there and we had a great time. Drove our little sports cars up to Lake Placid and through the Keene valley. It was quite nice to get away, and just have fun....

Have to tell you though. If you go there do not do the Fort William Henry ghost tour. (We stayed at the Fort William Henry Hotel) You'll have to bring an extra pair of undies....
Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalguy View Post
hmmmmm, not quite sure how to take your post broadhopper. Didn't sound all that politically correct to me. Just my own opinion. Ethnic population from Lowell, Lawrence? Non spenders? WOW
May not be politically correct but it is a crowd that is not going to lay down $$ for a coach handbag, $20 box of chocholate, or $100 meal at the Weirs. It's not all ethnic but it's not a rich crowd either.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Lakesrider

I know what your saying. But I am not rich. The room I was in was only $240.00 per night. 'Bout the same as the Wolfeboro Inn and it was actually about on par with the room quality as well. That was in the middle of Summers busy season there. Many of the shops were of the Hampton Beach variety. Small Jewelry stores, T-shirt stores, little snack shops etc. At least that was the stuff I and my wife went into. One store that sold novelty signs, I loved. But I can't post what they said on the public forum and all...
I just think back in the day everyone wanted a waterfront home and the towns let them. So not much public water front to do anything with, is left around here.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Woodsy

I have boated on Lake George several times.... the biggest difference between Lake George and Lake Winnipesaukee is that Lake George is a state park! There is very little (comparitively speaking) privately owned waterfront on Lake George. All of the islands are public and you can camp on them. You have to buy register your boat with the Lake George Park Commision prior to splashing it... registration fee varies depending on boat. There is a 45MPH speed limit but the enforcement is spotty... I personally witnessed a 165 MPH pass by a well known Lake George resident.

To be truthful NH could use to learn a few things from the Lake George chamber of commerce... they welcome tourists and have several LARGE gatherings every year @ Lake George... Americade, Harley Rendezvous, and there is a MASSIVE hot rod /old car show as well. All welcomed with open arms!

Woodsy
Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Drove our little sports cars up to Lake Placid and through the Keene valley. It was quite nice to get away, and just have fun....
Little sports car???? Is that a Cobra I see Lakesrider???? if it is, I'm jealous !
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Little sports car???? Is that a Cobra I see Lakesrider???? if it is, I'm jealous !
Me too LR, sent you a PM!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Lakesrider

Well geesh there SAMIAM...If you were at work more often you'd know my little Cobra has been to the VK at least 50 times.....

Nice to finally meet you the other day.....I almost had a heart attack when they told me you were actually there!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Yuh.....look who's talking about loafing after your sweet vacation at Lake George Really nice to meet you guys......you've sure got my waitress' wrapped around your finger.
Come drag me out of my office next time you come in.....I want to see that Cobra.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Sorry I wasn't trying to show any disrespect to LW. Just the contrast.
I guess the thing that first strikes you is the availability of the waterfront area to the public. For the town to have businesses, instead of all homes on the waterfront was different to see. I think that is what makes Lake George popular. Around here there are very few access points for the out of state folks to get to. The Weirs, Wolfeboro town docks, Meredith, Alton town docks etc sure, but they certainly don't have the draw that lake George seems to have. I mean where on Lake Winnipesaukee can you find a place with over 50 boats for rent and then right next dock over have a guy that rents out about 40 Pontoon boats?
I was with a group of car guys and their wives this past 4 days up there and we had a great time. Drove our little sports cars up to Lake Placid and through the Keene valley. It was quite nice to get away, and just have fun....

Have to tell you though. If you go there do not do the Fort William Henry ghost tour. (We stayed at the Fort William Henry Hotel) You'll have to bring an extra pair of undies....
You missed the Stanley Cup!!! It is in Lake Placid today (7/12). I missed it by a few weeks ~ was in Lake Placid June 23-27. The Cup is there with Don DelNegro who is the Bruins Head Trainer

Ron
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
RANGER CANOE CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I have boated on Lake George several times.... the biggest difference between Lake George and Lake Winnipesaukee is that Lake George is a state park! There is very little (comparitively speaking) privately owned waterfront on Lake George. All of the islands are public and you can camp on them. You have to buy register your boat with the Lake George Park Commision prior to splashing it... registration fee varies depending on boat. There is a 45MPH speed limit but the enforcement is spotty... I personally witnessed a 165 MPH pass by a well known Lake George resident.

To be truthful NH could use to learn a few things from the Lake George chamber of commerce... they welcome tourists and have several LARGE gatherings every year @ Lake George... Americade, Harley Rendezvous, and there is a MASSIVE hot rod /old car show as well. All welcomed with open arms!

Woodsy
And The annual "ELVIS" impersonation festival . Elvis is in the house (LG)....... like everywhere.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
Lakesrider

Yeah, too bad. I know Don too. I actually used to know most of the team, as they flew out of my Civilian terminal at Hanscom Field in Bedford Ma. We used to service their charter flights. Did the same for the Celtics and most of the competition for those teams. Also did many rock bands and Hollywood celebrities and such, like the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Cruise, Goldie Hawn, Brad Pit, Queen noor of Jordan, even the Dalai Lama.....etc...etc....