Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
sky_nh

Default Double-check your Metrocast bill.

Hi, Everyone --

Yesterday I received my latest Metrocast Internet cable bill and a new rate card with all their pricing on it. When I compared the two it looked like I was being over-charged by $8 a month for my Internet connection. I called Metrocast and the service rep confirmed that for me.

It appears that I was over-charged for at least six months, perhaps longer. Their billing department is checking that out now. I am not sure when it happened but the company lowered its billing on their Internet service and I was not aware of the change - nor, evidently, was the person at Metrocast who is responsible for changing rates for existing customers.

In some way, I suppose this is my fault for not looking more closely at my bill. Regardless, I wanted to give a heads-up to the people here in case the same thing has happened to them.

-- Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Thanks for the notice... I wish they had more competition around here, but since the rates go up all the time so they can add another golf channel or soap opera channel, I just assumed it was more schmutz, hence the higher bill....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Bluebell

If you have cable, a HD television and enjoy watching the food channel and sports . . . . you're gonna paaaaaay!! Then, throw in internet access and YIKES. But, hey, at least it's not as high as our water and sewer bill.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
sky_nh

Just heard back from Metrocast. They over-charged me for EIGHT MONTHS and will be issuing a $64 credit to my account. Not exactly a "king's ransom" but I'll take it!

Of course, I feel quite foolish for not reading those bills more closely. . .

-- Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
martbri7

Default Metrocast prices goes Up Up Up....

Got the New Year bill from our friends at Metrocast.....Digital up 4 dollars and

Internet up 2 for a total of $6 increase for 2011....so my contribution of $72 a

year times how many customers = for us....and for Metrocast
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by martbri7 View Post
Got the New Year bill from our friends at Metrocast.....Digital up 4 dollars and

Internet up 2 for a total of $6 increase for 2011....so my contribution of $72 a

year times how many customers = for us....and for Metrocast
Not up there yet but wondering what is the approximate monthly cost for basic cable, and I need the news and hisotry channels, and internet access?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Simon

My cable bill is $23.12 (up $2 from previous month). No internet, no phone ~ just basic cable.... about 20 stations.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
Not up there yet but wondering what is the approximate monthly cost for basic cable, and I need the news and hisotry channels, and internet access?
Expect to pay ~$116/month for expanded basic (70 channels, some of them HD, no converter box required) plus high-speed internet.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Expanded Basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Expect to pay ~$116/month for expanded basic (70 channels, some of them HD, no converter box required) plus high-speed internet.
I am in Laconia. I am only paying $65 for expanded Basic. Including the taxes and license fees. Cheaper to use your cell phone as a modem and bypass cable. You will be surprise how fast Verizon wireless is.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I am in Laconia. I am only paying $65 for expanded Basic. Including the taxes and license fees. Cheaper to use your cell phone as a modem and bypass cable. You will be surprise how fast Verizon wireless is.

I was thinking about dropping the cable internet and getting a Verizon card. Do you know how fast that is BroadHopper?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I was thinking about dropping the cable internet and getting a Verizon card. Do you know how fast that is BroadHopper?
There is some info here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10876
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default From VZW website

Quote:
With Mobile Broadband Connect devices that are EV-DO Rev. A-capable, you can expect download speeds of 600-1.4 Mbps and upload speeds of 500-800 Kbps while in the Mobile Broadband Mobile Broadband coverage area1. With Mobile Broadband Connect devices that are EV-DO Rev. 0-capable, you can expect download speeds of 400-700 Kbps and upload speeds of 60-80 Kbps.* while in the Mobile Broadband coverage area. When traveling outside of the Mobile Broadband coverage area, NationalAccess coverage is also included with Mobile Broadband Connect. Users should expect average speeds of 60 to 80 Kbps.**
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
brk-lnt

I checked my bill too. I was being billed for their "Premium Entertainment Package", but it turns out the channels were neither premium OR entertaining.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

My Comcast triple play is $120 a month.Phone,internet,and HD tv.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Verizon vs Metrocast

Quote:
I have both, I use the Verizon on my laptop when traveling. Generally very happy with the results.

I had never tried the VZ card on my home computer, so your question made me think... " I wonder if the VZ was a fast as Metrocast" Short answer... NO

Here are the results: Your results may vary

Name:  Metrocast.JPG
Views: 930
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  Verizon.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  67.0 KB
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Thank you SteveA. I guess I wouldn't be very happy with the Verizon. I can't stand to sit here and wait and waiting that long would drive me up the wall. I had an idea that might be the case as my daughter uses a Verizon card and she has a hard time downloading pics and videos. It is so convenient though as you said, when traveling.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote