Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Irish mist

Default Dental implants

Has anyone used a local dentist in the Laconia or Concord area for a dental implant ? I'm looking to put one in instead of a crown. Anyone I should avoid, or someone you think is excellent. Thanks.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Say hey....here's a piece of excellent old time New Hampshire advice....save yourself a lot of money....and just go get yourself a tube of that J B Weld, repair-kit-in-a-tube, and using a 3/8" soldiered copper plumbing cap as a mold...you should be able to cast yourself a new molar, bicuspid, or incisor.....no problemos....just make sure you grease up the copper cap first before applying the J B Weld...otherwise it will never come off.....once the J B Weld sets up.....
!

Old J B Weld to the rescue....from broken outboard motor skegs...to broken incisors....and still only $5.99.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Irish mist

You're a laugh a minute. I'm sure you have a mouthful
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
tummyman

Default Implant hell...

My wife is almost done with an implant. Problem started with a bad infection, that was misdiagnosed as a sinus infection when it was actually a cracked tooth. Took almost 5 months to nail it down. Next was an extraction of the tooth, followed by a bone graft since the infection had actually eaten away bone in her mouth. We are now almost 11 months into the process and over $4000 in costs PLUS will have an added cost from the dentist for the new tooth, which is due to be finally screwed in late this month. My wife's problem was very difficult to solve and thus the long time period. Hopefully yours is a more simple issue. But these implants are not inexpensive and my insurance would not cover anything, except for a small amount on the bone graft. By the way, the dentist that did all the implant stuff was absolutely fabulous....but she is in Winchester, MA and probably too far for you to go. She was a real gem for us and we would never go to anyone else if we needed another implant.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
winnipiseogee

I highly recommend Darren Boles in the Weirs. I've got bad teeth and had a lot of work done when I lived out in San Francisco. I was more than a little worried about the quality of dental work in NH when I took a header and knocked out one of my front teeth. He took great care of me and has been my faimly's dentist ever since (4 years now). I think his office is called "Dental Expressions" Good Luck!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Irish mist

Thanks Tummyman. I know it costs a lot of cash, but I like the idea better than a crown which can fail about 30% of the time whereas an implant has a 95% rate of working.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Irish mist

Thanks Winnipiseogge. I'll look him up.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Heaven

I had an implant instead of a crown (the crown would have required a bridge, which meant crowning the two adjacent, not an option!). It is perfect, pulled right out and the dentist drilled in the post (into the bone) at the same time. He was/is in Concord in the building across from the skating rink on Louden Road (next to the river).
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Irish mist

Thanks Heaven. i had no idea that they could put the post in right when they pulled the tooth !
Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
NHKathy

Default As the office manager of a Dental Practice...

...my advice to you is to seek a very reputable Oral Surgeon.
Me being down here in RI, is unfortunately no help to you up there. But I can say that although there are a few Oral Surgeons locally that we refer out to for routine Oral Surgery (like extractions); we only refer to ONE of them for Implant Surgery. So, please make sure whomever you choose is reputable.
(also Zimmer is the best company for the surgical Implant Posts; see what companys products are used...)
-Kathy
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Irish mist

Thanks NHKathy. It seem like every dentist is now doing implants which concerns me.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
CARDER LANE

http://www.drmoavenian.com/

This guy is in Nashua. Did great work for me and several of my friends. Good luck.
CARDER LANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Irish mist

Thank CARDER LANE. Seems like a lot more people than one would think have had implants done
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

You will think me crazy, but I go to a dentist in Lexington, MA. The guy is completely AWESOME and I will never go to anyone else unless the guy dies.
His name is Dr. Richard Vladamir.

http://www.circleschoice.com/cc/b535...xington-MA.htm

People ask me if I am ever nervous going to the Dentist. I just laugh and say Nope I go to the Vlad.
And he is about two and a half hours from here. That is a 5 hour ride to go to the dentist. I know...yikes...But he is that good. Been going to him since around 1992. Plus I get to do some shopping down in civilization while I am down there.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Guy

I have a couple of implants and my very skilled dentist has always sent me to an oral surgeon. The tooth is pulled. Sometimes a bone graft is used to fill the hole. The gum is stitched with high skill. Couple of months go by while the bone fills in and the gum heals. Then a threaded hole is drilled into the bone. A threaded insert is torqued to a preset amount. Gum stitched up and we wait again for the bone to heal around the insert. Finlay a threaded stud is installed into the threaded insert and a crown is fitted from the lab. It takes a while but so far they work great. Not a cheap option but seems to have potential for a long haul.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
Lucky2Bhere

Rattlesnake Guy is mostly accurate. Sometimes the implant can be placed immediately after the extraction but restored several months later. I am a semi-retired dentist and would gladly respond to private messages if anyone has a question. In most cases an oral surgeon or periodontist will place the implant and a general dentist will restore it. Good luck!
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky2Bhere For This Useful Post:
NHKathy (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Irish mist

Thanks Lakerider, Rattlesnake Guy & Lucky2Behere
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Lakegeezer

Dr. Baldassarre --web site here-- out of Bedford NH did my implant and it too involved a bone graft and more than a year of treatment. Its been three years and the implant is working fine. He also did my wisdom teeth years ago and they didn't grow back, so I recommend him highly. There are same day techniques around now for implants, but apparently not if bone grafts are required.

I'm still looking for a good dentist in the Moultonboro area so thanks to winnipiseogee for the tip. Its hard to get references.
Irish mist (11-15-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
donnamatrix

Default Dentist in Moultonboro

When we first moved up here, I drove back to MA to my dentist in Marlboro. I have had LOTS OF WORK done on my teeth, and am absolutely terrified to go to the dentist. Totally. I have gone to VA for work - my brother-in-law is dentist of 30 years, and his eldest son just graduated from Case Western-specializing in implants. My four top front teeth were crowned at different times, but started with a fall when I was in 4th grade. That's a LONG TIME AGO. My fear is, those crowns won't last forever, and what will I do.

We have gone to Dr Glenda Reynolds in Belmont-very good. Now go to Interlakes Dental on Route 25 in Moultonboro-also very good.

I mean, I get anxious when I get my teeth cleaned!!!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (11-17-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
Rattlesnake Guy

I had my teeth cleaned today and asked the dentist about the concept I heard about with getting implants the same visit as the tooth is pulled. He said that it all depends on the bone he finds in the jaw. He does "mini implants" of this type himself when the bone cooperates and sends his patients to the oral surgeon for the extended process when the bone does not cooperate.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
Marauder

Check out Concord Oral Surgery, Dr.Rossato!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marauder For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (11-17-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #22
jetskier

Post Just did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I had my teeth cleaned today and asked the dentist about the concept I heard about with getting implants the same visit as the tooth is pulled. He said that it all depends on the bone he finds in the jaw. He does "mini implants" of this type himself when the bone cooperates and sends his patients to the oral surgeon for the extended process when the bone does not cooperate.
I just had that procedure done. They extracted the tooth and did the implant at the same time. It actually proved to be much more convenient and less painful (than two procedures). I go to Dr. Jeffrey D. Stone. He is an oral surgeon and is both an MD and a DMD. He has practices in both Lowell, MA and Nashua NH. He is absolutely world class.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (11-17-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #23
garysanfran

Default Deep root cleaning...

I need to find a pereodontist that does deep root cleaning.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Stephen Fucini DMD in Hanover, NH, is a good periodontist who does deep cleaning.
garysanfran (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #25
RickDonofrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Say hey....here's a piece of excellent old time New Hampshire advice....save yourself a lot of money....and just go get yourself a tube of that J B Weld, repair-kit-in-a-tube, and using a 3/8" soldiered copper plumbing cap as a mold...you should be able to cast yourself a new molar, bicuspid, or incisor.....no problemos....just make sure you grease up the copper cap first before applying the J B Weld...otherwise it will never come off.....once the J B Weld sets up.....
!

Old J B Weld to the rescue....from broken outboard motor skegs...to broken incisors....and still only $5.99.
Are you sure you're not from West Virginia ??
RickDonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #26
Wolfeboro_Baja

Regarding the OP, my wife had 4 implants done at once; she saw Dr. Mark Scurra at Concord Oral Surgery. She was very pleased with his work. She needed bone grafts because a couple of her teeth had been pulled MANY years ago and the jaw bone had receded. If I remember correctly, it took about a year for her to get through the whole process; do bone grafts, wait for healing, place posts, wait some more for healing and then the crowns.

She's planning on going back for one or two more in the future, once we save up the money. That's the only problem with implants, the UNGODLY initial expense!! $4,000 - $5,000 apiece is A LOT of money (and insurance won't touch it!)!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfeboro_Baja For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #27
Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I need to find a pereodontist that does deep root cleaning.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Gary,
I have used Amerident Dental Associates in Amherst NH......
http://www.ameridentnh.com/Dentist-a...thew-lann.aspx
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #28
Irish mist

One thing I have learned is that dental implants are much more common than I thought. So many people in this small forum seem to have had eperience with them. I went to a local oral surgeon who told me that if I get an implant I will not need to do a bone graft so that has me feeling positive about doing this.