Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
SOB

Default New Boat

Hi All,

So I am going to sell my current boat this season. (2007 Bennington 2075GL Pontoon boat) and I am looking to buy a 28 - 30 ft cabin cruiser. Something I can sleep on, and spend weekends on etc.

It will actually be in the bay in RI once I buy it. (I live in RI, boat on Winni right now). I am looking to put something close to home to get more use out of it. I still have enough friends with boats on Winni, so I won't be leaving totally, love the lake!

Anyways, just looking for some feedback from the gang here on the cruiser, brand perference and why? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
SOB
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Hi All,

So I am going to sell my current boat this season. (2007 Bennington 2075GL Pontoon boat) and I am looking to buy a 28 - 30 ft cabin cruiser. Something I can sleep on, and spend weekends on etc.

It will actually be in the bay in RI once I buy it. (I live in RI, boat on Winni right now). I am looking to put something close to home to get more use out of it. I still have enough friends with boats on Winni, so I won't be leaving totally, love the lake!

Anyways, just looking for some feedback from the gang here on the cruiser, brand perference and why? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
SOB
Welcome to the forum B. Narragansett Bay is a whole different ball game from Winni. I have lived and boated on the Bay (and well outside) for over 40 years. There's nothing like it. But Winni is unique as well. If you never go outside the bay, a boat that might be good for Winni....might be good enough for the bay.

Salt water is different. The Water..Seas..are different in the bay. When the tide runs opposite to the wind... you get a Nice Chop that you won't find on the lake. Sooner or later you will think about going out to Block Island. My little 20' Donzi is NOT the boat to do that. I did it once just for drill.

I can't give you any good advice on what power boat would be good for the bay...since all my experience down here (RI) has been in SAIL..until I went to Winni about 14 years ago....with a small Donzi. I got lazy in my old age.

The decision on what type of boat all depends on weather you will keep the boat IN the water..or haul it out every time. Most people with a 28 foot boat keep the boat IN the water all season..at a marina or on a mooring.

My advice would be a 28-30 foot "Strait Inboard". That means the propeller is under the boat like in the old days..NO Outdrive. Outdrives do not do well in salt water when left IN the water.

Feel free to ask further questions. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
bigdog

Default New Boat

Just to comment about boating in Narraganzett Bay...

Been there that many times, boaiing with my 20' Bowrider. I usually
put-in around Barrington, and cruise down past Bristol and around Prudence Island. There's a nice litttle cove at the North end on Bristol side, where people raft, and anchor just off the island. Can get crowded on the w/e's.
Bristol has a great little State Park 'Colt S.P.' with a boat ramp.

Also, Greenwich Bay is very nice, with some restuarants you can dock at their door. Same for Wickford, picture post-card harbor!

Haven't ventured past Newport bridge, and out of the bay, too much open water for me and my little 20 footer !

Enjoy your new boat this summer, and have fun in Narragansett !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
NoRegrets

Spending time on a boat.....
My wife, Dog, and I love staying on our cruiser during the weekends. We are on our second cruiser. The first was great (had it for 3 months) and learned the dynamics of operation. Once we understood more about wind, current, docking, momentum, rafting, and storms we felt we would enjoy more comforts so ordered our current one with 7 feet more length as well as a generator so we can keep the AC, heat, or dehumidifier on for comfort. We also have a closed cooling system for the engines so there is anti-freeze in the engines - not lake water.
Another feature we added was a second refridgerator (one for food and one for drinks). Our thought was we can buy ICE but the extra space for provisions was desired. We were happy with that decision.
V-drives or inboard power may also be important so there is no corrosion problem (unless you have a lift or take the boat out of the water).

Both of ours were SeaRay's and we have NoRegrets!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote