Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
callmeD

Default Today's Ice Storm

Being from MA and having a home in Gilford, I am wondering what the conditions are from this morning's ice storm.

Has anyone lost power? If so, what is the time frame for having it turned back on? Any damage from fallen branches or trees?

This storm came on fast and furious with 3-4 inches of rain falling last night, then freezing to cause extensive power outages and damage from downed trees and branches in the Worcester area. Power is not expected to be restored completely until Monday.

Quite a storm ...
Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Whimsey

Default Power

It's a pretty big mess up here. I'm in West Alton and we've been out of power since shortly after midnight last night. NHEC reports that the entire town went out at about the same time. Weather's ok now but cold and all the slush has refrozen so its a bit treacherous.

It's hard to get any estimate of when the power will be restored. While I've got a generator, there's no cable service, so my only news is what I can find online.

If anyone has some info it would be appreciated.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
gravy boat

Default snow/ice

It started as snow in the Lakes Region and then moved to sleet and then freezing rain throughout the day on Thursday.
LAs of noon Friday, Laconia/Gilford had a good 1/2 inch or so of ice on trees/limbs. Power outage along Rt. 11A in Gilford from Friday about 7 am until after 7 pm Friday night -- not as bad as we expected. I don't think Laconia had any outages. Belmont and Gilmanton were out as well.
We have propane so don't rely on electric to heat our house, which is a definite advantage.
The temps rose yesterday late AM and afternoon to melt a lot of the ice and free some trees.
However, it is now 15 degrees and any standing water on roads and sidewalks are ice...slick conditions on side roads.
No Metrocast -- we are using an aircard for internet access and will have to suffer with watching movies until Metrocast goes back online.
Trees were down, some on the roads which were cleared pretty quickly.
The birches took a beating, as they usually do in ice storms. Some snapped, most are bent over and will likely remain that way. ;_(
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
callmeD

Thanks, gravyboat, for the update.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

We were without power since midnight Thursday and it was restored here late Saturday afternoon. I understand that there's no school at the high school tomorrow (PMHS) but there's school at the elementary school. I guess the high school is still being used as a shelter so it's probably safe to say that many families in Alton are still without power tonight.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
19MileBaylover

Two-part question:
How has the ice storm affected Tuftonboro (haven't been to the cottage for awhile); and, #2, has any ice formed on 19 mile bay yet? Thanks.
19MileBaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
skprbob

Default 19 Mile report

Tuftonboro had very little damage, most of it in the higher terrain up toward the Ossipees. Here on the bay, I lost power at around 5:00 AM and got it back around 8:15 AM and had a very thin coating of ice on only a few trees and bushes. Total accumulation from all precipitation was about an inch. It all melted away in the last day or so. We were fortunate.

Ice on the bay has been in and out several times. It was back in over most of the bay today and may very well stay this time if the forecasts pan out.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote