Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #101
Weirs guy

Weirs Bay and Lake Winnisquam both seem to have kept the skimming they got last night.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #102
BoulderBronco

Time to buy my flight for the Derby.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #103
Gatto Nero

Looking good in front of Black Cat
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #104
gtxrider

Default Keep it up!

Freeze Baby Freeze!

I was snowing down here in Joisey when I left home for work at 6:00AM. The drive way was covered with the white stuff.

Keep on dancing!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #105
HomeWood

We don't want too much snow, but this should be good for tomorrow since it's supposed to be windy and maybe this will help protect the ice that is there.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #106
DRH

Default Mostly Water Here

Unfortunately, the ice didn't hold in this part of the lake. It's now open water from the Minge Cove area in West Alton all the way across the lake to Wolfeboro. Here's this morning's view, taken from just west of Minge Cove and looking east. Treasure Island is on the left side of the shot, with the eastern tip of Rattlesnake is behind it:

Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #107
Blue Thunder

Default Hey FLL

FLL,
What's up with the boat...any luck???? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

BT
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #108
fatlazyless

Default ....whenever?

All the launch ramps are iced in as of today, Shep Brown's, Meredith Town Docks, Glendale, Weirs Channel, Meredith Marina: all inaccessible. The ice looks very thin and tonight's winds and 26 degrees could make some changes.......sorry ice fans! For now, it looks like my boat is ice bound for the duration...whenever? The area from buoy 3-Horse Isl to Bear-Mark-Timber-Governor's is currently totally ice free, and it is a windy night so......?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #109
CanisLupusArctos

Default A slow, windy ice-in

Looking SE from Black Cat I see ice pack down to around 5-Mile Island/Steamboat Island. The ice survived the wind gusts of 16 mph today, but the open spots around Black Cat Shoals grew every hour. Currently the winds are on the increase and we're in a snow squall that's dropped an inch of snow in the last 45 minutes, with forecast for 45+ mph winds tomorrow afternoon. The squall's signature on the radar almost looks like it's an extension of lake effect snow from upstate NY.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #110
19MileBaylover

Default Ice on 19 Mile Bay

Anybody up in the 19 Mile Bay area? How's the ice?
19MileBaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #111
BoulderBronco

I know it's windy and all but if it got cold enought wouldn't it still ice up? I am no weather expert but seems to me no matter how windy it was, if it was cold enough the top of the water would freeze. Maybe a temp of say 3*F like it's suposed to be tomorrow?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #112
Resident 2B

Default Wind and Ice

BoulderBronco,

The wind has a huge impact on the ability of open water to ice up. If the surface of the water is being moved by the wind, it does not have the ability to freeze. What is needed is a cold night and no wind. That will cause the lake to get a skim coat usually a half inch or so think.

Once there is a skim coat, the wind can still mess up the ice-in process. It works on any area of thin ice and once it breaks through, it continues to enlarge the opening. Once the opening is large enough for any wind-driven wave action, thin ice will get eaten up very quickly, even with tempatures well below freezing. The ice has to be an inch or two thick before it gets "safe" from most winds below 20 mph.

Today, the wind got a lot of the ice outside of the bays. Although it will be below freezing tonight, the ice will be no match for wind gusts of 40 mph on tap for tomorrow. We need the wind to die down for the process to begin again.

With water tempatures at 35 degrees, one cold and still night followed by a cold and rather still day will do the job in many areas of the lake.

Sorry for the bad news, but that is how it works.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #113
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
BoulderBronco,

The wind has a huge impact on the ability of open water to ice up. If the surface of the water is being moved by the wind, it does not have the ability to freeze. What is needed is a cold night and no wind. That will cause the lake to get a skim coat usually a half inch or so think.

Once there is a skim coat, the wind can still mess up the ice-in process. It works on any area of thin ice and once it breaks through, it continues to enlarge the opening. Once the opening is large enough for any wind-driven wave action, thin ice will get eaten up very quickly, even with tempatures well below freezing. The ice has to be an inch or two thick before it gets "safe" from most winds below 20 mph.

Today, the wind got a lot of the ice outside of the bays. Although it will be below freezing tonight, the ice will be no match for wind gusts of 40 mph on tap for tomorrow. We need the wind to die down for the process to begin again.

With water tempatures at 35 degrees, one cold and still night followed by a cold and rather still day will do the job in many areas of the lake.

Sorry for the bad news, but that is how it works.

R2B
Thanks. But I'm not stupid. I understand that. But at some point the water will freeze. If it was 100* below zero it would freeze in a second no matter how windy. So. I am just wondering how cold it would have to be to cancel out the wind? 10*? 0*? -10*? -50*? What? Any guesses?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #114
trfour

Post Back when..

We used to get real winters around here,.. and not that long ago we had a good one where the Lake froze over before the snow flew. We had well over twenty plow able snow storms this winter,.. I remember having to go up and shovel the snow off the back porch roof many times after work to keep the ice dams from building. All of the many wonderful winter activities enjoyed by us tough winter sports, Champion sled dog racers, ice fisher folks, and I recall Alton Bay looking like Laconia Airport. Some friends and I left the camp on Paugus Bay on our snowmobiles to ride around the Lake and check out all the fun and games. Meredith was crowded with the fishing derby go'in on, and we even took a ride up to Mount Shaw and back. It was great to see everyone having fun.

There was an MP dive team over in Winter Harbor practicing ice rescue and they had cut a hole through the ice and had it all cordoned off, so I stopped and asked how thick the the ice was,.. they said oh its safe alright 39 inches thick!!

Let the Lake freeze, and let it SNOW!!!

Oh, PS I caught these guys party'n on my deck that winter with my portable Weirs Bridge Cam too.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 01-20-2007 at 02:04 AM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #115
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco
Thanks. But I'm not stupid. I understand that. But at some point the water will freeze. If it was 100* below zero it would freeze in a second no matter how windy. So. I am just wondering how cold it would have to be to cancel out the wind? 10*? 0*? -10*? -50*? What? Any guesses?
I was only trying to help and was not in any way implying that your are stupid.

Technically at absolute zero all motion stops. At reasonably normal local tempatures, there are far too many variables involved to give an answer to your question.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #116
HomeWood

Think of it this way... at least it will be very cold and not 50 degrees right . The wind will be no help to the bigger parts, but coves and places protected by the wind will only add ice I assume.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #117
Weirs guy

We lost a lot of ice on Weirs Bay yesterday (from as far towards Meredith as I can see to Methodist Circle), and even more last night. Last nights waves ate up even more, its almost down to the channel now.

Now?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #118
CanisLupusArctos

Default On ice and wind

On one occasion during the 90s I saw the open lake when it was cooled to 32 and was still open water because of the wind. The water froze instantly to everything it splashed on (freezing spray). Such instant freezing will always happpen if the air temp is bitterly cold, but on that morning it wasn't.

This morning it's open water SE of Black Cat Shoals, with NW wind averaging 9 gusting to 20 mph and increasing, temp 17 F and dropping. The 4 inches of snow we had last night is blowing around out there. Looks like our next chance of calm conditions is Monday night.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #119
DRH

Default No More Ice

We had high winds overnight, with a 41 mph gust at about 8:30 AM this morning. The ice is completely gone in our entire view now:

Old 01-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #120
HomeWood

From what lake Wenworths cam shows, it's holding up and still snow covered. First it's warm air and now it's wind. Give me a freakin' break!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #121
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
I was only trying to help and was not in any way implying that your are stupid.

Technically at absolute zero all motion stops. At reasonably normal local tempatures, there are far too many variables involved to give an answer to your question.
I know. I didn't mean to imply that. I was just wondering how cold it would have to be.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #122
HomeWood

If we could bring the cold down from Mt Washington that would help. -15 and a windchill of -60! We sure don't need the 90mph winds making that!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #123
CanisLupusArctos

Default What a break up

In howling northwest winds, the ice between Black Cat Island, Three Mile and Bear has broken up like a celebrity couple. It made quite a show, as ocean-like swells came into shore laden with shards of ice and a few good-size bergs 2-3 inches thick. The ice piled around 5 feet high on Black Cat Shoals/"Mousetrap Ledge," and continued drifting southeast. Frothing whitecaps and freezing spray replaced the ice pack.

There is now quite an ice accumulation on shores and objects with exposure to the northwest. The temperature on Black Cat Island is now 13 and dropping, while the winds are now 20 mph gusting to 46. The strongest winds are forecast for this evening.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #124
HomeWood

At least the temp is dropping!
Old 01-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #125
Grant

Awesome photos -- thanks for the great report.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #126
Resident 2B

CLA,

It is amazing what the wind does to ice and how the wind plays such a big factor on both ice-in and ice-out. Great job in conveying this to those not lucky enought to see it live.

Stay warm!

R2B
Old 01-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #127
HomeWood

Is it still very windy today?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #128
CanisLupusArctos

Default You're Welcome

I'm glad you've enjoyed the ice reports and photos as much as I've enjoyed taking/posting them. Yesterday was truly one of the wildest days I've ever seen in weather. It is one thing to see the ice break up on a windy spring day when warm temps disintigrate it, but it is something much more humbling to see the ice breaking up in such windy conditions when the temperature is in the single numbers, making berg stick to berg and shards pile into cakes and solidify.

It is amazing how the lake has its own weather sometimes. Last night when the airport automated systems around the state had significantly less wind than earlier, we were sustaining 32 mph (the highest of the day) with the day's peak gust to 60 mph at 11:40 pm. The walls and floor shook, the trees bent over, and I was amazed they didn't break. The lights blinked off for a few seconds and that was it. It wasn't like a quick summer thunderstorm - the 45-50 mph gusts kept hitting for an hour straight.

The waves were on the order of 3 feet, and now their splashover zones look like crystal chandeliers.

The winds today have gone below 10 mph at times, and at other times they're more like yesterday's. Currently it's NW at 16 and increasing, with gusts running around 30 mph.

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 01-21-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #129
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay Ice

Here are some pictures taken today, 01-21-07, from Alton Mt. Rd looking out toward the end of the bay.

and the same shot with a little telephoto kicked in.

and finally a shot from the same location, looking over Alton Bay toward Wolfeboro. That would be Alton Bay in the foreground, with Wolfeboro bay in the background, with apparently ice out to around Clark Point, I think.

Sorry I didn't get any other pictures earlier, but I have been a little busy this month, and when there was ice, I wasn't able to get a picture, til now.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #130
Resident 2B

Default Ice in!

It is looking more and more like we are about to enter a prolonged period of two important atmospheric conditions required for ice-in: low tempatures and low winds. Aiding the ice-in will be a few periods of light snow over the next few days. This should allow the lake to skim over and for the skim to get two a few inches thick by Thursday. From there the ice should continue to thicken.

If this happens, the derby might still happen. I hope I am right.

R2B
Old 01-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #131
HomeWood

I hope you're right too my friend!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #132
CanisLupusArctos

Default Ice-In weather is here again

R2B I think you're right! My fingers crossed. I didn't think I'd get to say this less than 12 hours after 40 mph wind gusts, but it's absolutely still out there now. Then again, this is New England and if you don't like the weather, wait a minute (Twain).

Temp is 12 degrees and the radar's showing blue blobs closing in on us from the south and west.

Here's a look at what the shoreline was like today.

-Arctic Wolf
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #133
Gavia immer

Wink

Thanks for those photos. Not many have seen that sight in late January! I especially like your screen name: CanisLupusArctos? Now, it will be impossible to forget the scientific name for the rare "Arctic Wolf".

Where did the idea come from?
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #134
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Arctic Wolf

Great photos!

Spent a bit of time on your website. Impressive work... reminds me of some of the work done by John Gill.

Glad to have you here.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #135
Weirs guy

CLA, I love the reference to Saturdays swells looking ocean like. Thats exactly the analogy my wife and I used. Darndest thing I saw all weekend (until last nights game, that is ). I was surprised Weirs Bay seemed to skim over again Saturday night, but it was short lived.

Now?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #136
Resident 2B

Exclamation Winds

It is looking like the calm winds will continue until Wednesday. Then, it looks like 5 to 10 mph Wednesday afternoon and most of Thursday.

The bad news is Friday looks like it will be very windy again.

If the ice thickens enough to handle the light winds of Wednesday and Thursday, it should be able to survive Friday in the bays. Friday will be the big test.

R2B
Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #137
CanisLupusArctos

Default Ice-In, take 2

Let's try this again! Ice-in, that is. With calm conditions and temps in the low teens, the ice south and east of Black Cat is once again IN. It isn't thick yet, but the long-term weather pattern promises more cold, and windy conditions aren't expected again until the next arctic blast on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully the ice will have more time to thicken before then!

Thank you for your compliments. To answer your question about where my name came from, it was inspired by the career-launching project of my favorite photographer Jim Brandenburg. In the mid-1980s he made several visits to a remote part of the arctic to find arctic wolves. He and the writer, a biologist, not only found them, they became accepted by the pack and were allowed to stay alone at the den with the pups while the adults went hunting. National Geographic put one of Jim's photos on the cover: an arctic wolf in mid-air, leaping between two floating chunks of ice on the bay.

Ever since I was a teenager I've gone out on frozen Lake Winnipesaukee and often imagined I was on the tundra - that Mount Washington in the distance was really Denali, and on those calm frigid nights when the moon lights up the cracking and booming lake ice and the snow-covered evergreens, I want to go out there in the middle, watch the aurora borealis, and listen to a pack of wolves singing an echoing song from the Ossipees.

I've seen the work of John Gill and met him - he does some incredible work - but it's Brandenburg's inspiration that this wolf sniffs out, with the North Star always providing the compass.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #138
HomeWood

I just checked Belknap and Weirs cameras and they are just about ice in and have some snow cover. Hopefully it gets thick enough to withstand some more wind that I heard is on that way.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #139
Island Girl

Talking Woo Hoo!!!

We have ice!!!!! Now we wait to see if it holds...

Time to fire up the snowmobile!!!

www.rattlesnakecam.com/icein.htm

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #140
HomeWood

The high of 5 degrees on Friday should help!

My snowmobile is loaded on the trailer. I just got to do some prep work on it and it'll be ready for it's 800 mile journey from down here. I'll bring the two atv's also. Anybody want to go for a ride?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #141
Merrymeeting

Looks like ice everywhere when viewing the cameras this morning. Friday's winds may not matter if it's skimmed over everywhere as it appears it will be.

Merrymeeting closed up overnight too. http://65.175.136.103/view/view.shtml

Let's hope that everyone stays off the ice until it thickens enough. Seems every year that we hear an unfortunate story of someone who ventured out too early or too far.

Now all we need is a good nor'Easter!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #142
Weirs guy

Weirs Bay seemed very solid this morning for the short time its been iced in. Oh yeah, a note to any Laconia city workers perusing the forum, time to turn on the town docks bubblers!

Now?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #143
Blue Thunder

Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
All the launch ramps are iced in as of today, Shep Brown's, Meredith Town Docks, Glendale, Weirs Channel, Meredith Marina: all inaccessible. The ice looks very thin and tonight's winds and 26 degrees could make some changes.......sorry ice fans! For now, it looks like my boat is ice bound for the duration...whenever? The area from buoy 3-Horse Isl to Bear-Mark-Timber-Governor's is currently totally ice free, and it is a windy night so......?
What will that do to the hull and motor? Aren't you worried? I don't think I've ever seen a boat survive a freezing into the lake. Do you have a bubbler to keep the water open near the hull?

Blue Thunder
Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #144
Steveo

FLL, I have a spare bubbler if you want to borrow it. Might be a little late to get it in and you'll need power, but it's yours if you want it.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #145
fatlazyless

Default ....what-me-worry......no way?

Yes, it is still in the water. My old yard sale, five dollar, 1/6hp pump wasn't working too well, so I made a major sixty-four dollar purchase of a Lowe's 1/6hp pump and set it up as a dock circulator. It draws only 2 amps. So far, so good. It's keeping the area around the boat motor and 40' dock clear all by itself. I know that's hard to believe. I cannot believe it and I've was checking it out today. Maybe, because the water is 4 feet deep or less. If tomorrow is a good sunny day, I'll try to post a photo.......maybe captioned 'fully winterized,' or 'do-it-yourself boat removal' or 'speed limits totally unnecessary!', or something. Maybe, if it warms up to 40 degrees, I'll get to finish installing that fish-finder & depth guage that I started last April? Hmmmm, maybe some early season boat painting? Oh well, winter has a ways to go here so no need to rush!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-23-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #146
Waterbaby

Default WE Worry!

YOU may not be worrying, FLL, and no need to -- enough of the rest of us doing the worrying for you! Best of luck to you -- and only 4' of water? Oh dear, I hope that pump works, seems to me as if the upcoming cold snap could freeze those shallows faster than the pump can circulate! Keep us updated, please.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #147
gtxrider

Default Just keep the engine running!

Quote:
Yes, it is still in the water. My old yard sale, five dollar, 1/6hp pump wasn't working too well, so I made a major sixty-four dollar purchase of a Lowe's 1/6hp pump and set it up as a dock circulator. It draws only 2 amps. So far, so good. It's keeping the area around the boat motor and 40' dock clear all by itself. I know that's hard to believe. I cannot believe it and I've was checking it out today. Maybe, because the water is 4 feet deep or less. If tomorrow is a good sunny day, I'll try to post a photo.......maybe captioned 'fully winterized,' or 'do-it-yourself boat removal' or 'speed limits totally unnecessary!', or something. Maybe, if it warms up to 40 degrees, I'll get to finish installing that fish-finder & depth guage that I started last April? Hmmmm, maybe some early season boat painting? Oh well, winter has a ways to go here so no need to rush!
If you keep the engine running at idle and in gear the water will keep moving and won't ice up. The motor will be warm so this will prevent the block from freezing. Since it is an aluminum boat it should not crack like a fiber glass boat.

As my mother would say "Lots of ideas but none of them good."

Good luck with your bubblers!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:53 AM   #148
BoulderBronco

The lake temp went UP to 35*. ???
Old 01-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #149
Resident 2B

Default Ice Everywhere

For those not up here, there is much more ice today than there was all last year. The only water I see is in the Weirs channel, but even that is closed up much more than last year. The ice is trying to thicken up and I believe we have enough to hold up against the winds coming Thursday evening into Friday.

The ice is covered with an inch or so of powder snow, just enough to reflect the sun's heat, but not enough to insulate the ice from the cold. It is still in the upper 20's at about noon and it will be turning very cold in the next 12 to 18 hours. It should be at or below zero for several nights in a row starting Friday.

I saw one bob house on Alton Bay and someone drilling a hole or two yesterday morning.

Stay safe out there!

Winter has arrived!!

R2B
Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #150
Island Girl

Talking The Dance of the Babes on Sleds

The babes are holding off on the snow dancing to allow the ice to thicken some more... Then we will be bouncing off the walls to get a nice comfy coating on the lake .... get those snow machines ready!!!!

(sorry, for all the smilies... I am just so excited!!)

IG who really really wants to ride out there!!!

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #151
codeman671

I plan on taking a ride out to the island early next week by airboat (as soon as my new toy arrives from Canada ) and will update everyone on what I see further out.

I am contemplating offering a winter transportation service for those that want to get out to the islands from time to time, as well as cottage checks and dock circulator monitoring for the season. Gotta pay for this thing somehow...

Trips to help fix the Rattlesnake Cam at any time are on the house, although junk food is always welcome
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #152
Island Girl

Default Airboats

Have fun with your new toy.... I suggest you make friends with the other airboat owners on the lake...... get a few pointers so to speak...

I do appreciate the offer for rides to fix Snake Eyes.... that could happen.

(don't let anyone stand behind the boat when you start it.... they could get blown away.... literally!)

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #153
Grant

Quick -- check out the Pine Island Cam and tell me those aren't snowmobile tracks going across the ice!

Yow! Seems a little early, don't you think?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #154
Island Girl

Default Who is that nuts???

Looks like it to me!

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #155
mg2107

Oh to be young and immortal again.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #156
Pine Island Guy

Default snowmobile tracks for sure!

good eyes Grant, too bad no one caught it in the cam as they zipped by!!! i thought maybe we could follow the tracks on the Pine Island South Cam, but they must have been out of range in that shot.

with this weather it won't be long before we are trekking out by foot for an island visit (and to fix the kink in the line of the 'ice eater' which is now blowing over to bear island)...

cheers! PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #157
codeman671

I find it hard to believe that someone would be out there now, I cannot imagine the ice would hold it there. Of course in my younger years I did some stupid snowmobile moves that I would not do today.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #158
Quilt Lady

Default Sorry to rain on your parade but . . .

those aren't snowmobile tracks. Those are cracks in the new ice and the darker area is where water has seeped onto the ice. We have many of them down near us. Sorry Island Girl . . . but keep slow dancing for the cold and ice! The only things I've seen on the ice near us are some crows and a red fox.

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #159
fatlazyless

Default ...ice is thin!

Spent some time chopping some lake ice today with an ice chopper, and the very very thickest was about one inch. Last night left a white snowy dusting across the ice and it is checkered with watery dark spots. Even went in in my bathing suit, and guess what, it is definately cold, but that hot tub-icy dip combination is an old Norwegian tradition, according to Uma!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #160
DRH

Thumbs up Lots of Ice!

Our drive from West Alton to Center Harbor today confirmed that the recent cold weather has resulted in all areas of the lake that we could see being ice now. Here's a view taken from Gilford looking north across the lake.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #161
Island Girl

Default think early ice-out......yes From FLL

Quote:
Spent some time chopping some lake ice today with an ice chopper, and the very very thickest was about one inch. Last night left a white snowy dusting across the ice and it is checkered with watery dark spots. Even went in in my bathing suit, and guess what, it is definately cold, but that hot tub-icy dip combination is an old Norwegian tradition, according to Uma!
Here is FLL's boat, ready for ice out...

Of course the rest of us are all excited that we are about to have ice-in!!!

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #162
gillis10

Default Paugus bay

I would imagine that Paugus Bay should be safe by now or def. by the weekend. It was about 1-1.5" last saturday. I stood on it but didn't trust it enough to let go of the dock!
gillis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #163
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
Here's a view taken from Gilford looking north across the lake.
Excellent shot DRH.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #164
Mr. V

Are there restrictions on boating the lake when it is iced over?

Stated differently: assuming you had the money, and the desire, you could (theoretically, anyway) have a pleasure boat with the ability to plow through lake ice: a small ice breaker.

Sure, ice users would hate you, but would the Marine Patrol be able to prevent you from tootling around the lake, breaking ice as you go?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #165
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Here is FLL's boat, ready for ice out...

Of course the rest of us are all excited that we are about to have ice-in!!!

If that's a recent image, I'd feel a little better about leaving it for the winter although I'd worry about water in the powerhead of the motor freezing. Maybe with that strong aluminum hull he can break ice in the Spring if he gets it running!

BT
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #166
fatlazyless

Default ...just two pixels

...yes, took that photo yesterday Wednesday Jan 24 2007 at about 1pm....that's Gov Isl in the background on the right and Timber on the Left and Gunstock & Belknap Mts which cannot be seen due to the sun over-exposure (probably due to my el cheapo 60 dollar, two-pixel camera). The boat is out of the water with drain plug removed, the lower unit-gearcase-propeller is under the water which is being circulated. How's that sound?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #167
SIKSUKR

I don't know FLL if your real hearty or just plain crazy!!Either way you you score a lot of points with me.WOW!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #168
zawillif

Looks like the ice is receding a little on the weirscam.
zawillif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #169
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
Our drive from West Alton to Center Harbor today confirmed that the recent cold weather has resulted in all areas of the lake that we could see being ice now. Here's a view taken from Gilford looking north across the lake.

Nice picture -- but I'll be more impressed with a view taken from the middle of the lake looking in all directions at the shoreline!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #170
DRH

Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat
Nice picture -- but I'll be more impressed with a view taken from the middle of the lake looking in all directions at the shoreline!
I'm with you, This'nThat! I'll try to oblige if/when the ice becomes safe and we get some snow!

How about it, Babes on Sleds ... you doing your snow dances?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #171
Mink Islander

Default Ice Ice Baby....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawillif
Looks like the ice is receding a little on the weirscam.

That would be the ice-eaters at work around the docks.

Ice-making is happening 24/7 right now across the whole lake. Interested to hear the ice-thickness reports over the next several days. With the coming temps, an inch or more a day is likely. Unless the winds really pick up, we should be in great shape within a week. This weekend might still be a bit sketchy for someone like me who treks pretty far from mainland to get to my camp. "Great shape" defined as at least 7 inches of black ice over most of the lake and most definitely where I am walking . Week after next, I'm there! Here fishy fishy fishy....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #172
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Cool thing about outboard power heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
If that's a recent image, I'd feel a little better about leaving it for the winter although I'd worry about water in the powerhead of the motor freezing. Maybe with that strong aluminum hull he can break ice in the Spring if he gets it running!

BT
There is a neat thing about outboards. If they are left down such as FLL has done then gravity takes over and the water flows right out of the powerhead.... I grew up with an old mercury outboard and our winterizing rutine was to lower the engine once the boat was on the trailer and out of the water...let it drain then put it back up and trailer it home and into the Garage.... They only Potential issue I see here for FLL is if the ice gets in around the lower unit...but with a circulator going he should be able to avoid that.....
Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #173
Steveo

They only Potential issue I see here for FLL is if the ice gets in around the lower unit...but with a circulator going he should be able to avoid that....

I could see that as a potential problem as well though since the circulator is keeping ice from forming in moving water. Any water in the lower unit will freeze since it will be below 32 degrees and not moving.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #174
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo

I could see that as a potential problem as well though since the circulator is keeping ice from forming in moving water. Any water in the lower unit will freeze since it will be below 32 degrees and not moving.
I agree. Getting the lower unit out of the water would be a great idea. FLL is this possible?

R2B
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #175
fatlazyless

Default ...a major blunder.....duh!

Yes, the entire boat can normally be raised up another two feet which would raise the outboard completely out of the water. For now, that is most likely not doable due to ice build-up on a a few areas of the boat lift.....have not actually attemped this yet. Winterizing an outboard always includes replacing the lower gear case 90 weight gear oil just in case some small amount of water got past the rubber seals and into the gearcase. If it freezes, it will expand the non compressable gear oil and split the aluminum gearcase. So, all this knowledge here, but still a major blunder.......boo-hoo! Plus, 90 weight gear oil would probably take a month to drain out at temps of five degrees. And yes, I would be very carefull to not let it drain into the lake water.

As the cold sets in, my single 1/6hp pump was not enough to keep the ice open for the area needed, so now there's two 1/6hp pumps located accordingly. Unlike the much more expensive 1/4 and 1/3 hp pumps which are light weight plastic, the least expensive Lowe's $64.00 pump is very heavy and made in Taiwan so it must be a cast iron body within a plastic shell......hopefully the Taiwan pump builder has built it for the long haul.

Probably, my plan is to raise the boat up high enough to get the outboard all the way out of the water, as soon as the temps warm above freezing so it can drain and I can replace the gear oil.

Like someone likes to say: 'a bad day at the lake is a whole lot better than a good day in Boston traffic.'

The ice got noticably thicker and stronger in the past day. The deep freeze is definately feeding the ice.....and making it strong......like an ox.......aarrrggg!(?)
Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #176
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

It's ice-in on Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro and the ice is safe enough to go out on. Check out THIS PICTURE of snowshoeing on the Lake last Saturday!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #177
riverat

Red face

Looks like another case of ECF (Extended Cabin Fever) Snoeshoeing on 1" of snow. LOL
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #178
PineLedge

Default Any truth?

Rumor has it the "northern end" of the lake (Greens Basin/Ambrose Cove etc) has frozen enough that ice houses are out.....any truth??
Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #179
DRH

There was one bob house out in Center Harbor a couple days ago.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #180
FLAG!

Thumbs up Ice

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see bob houses on any of the northern coves on the lake. I think by tomorrow afternoon we'll see bob houses in great numbers all over the lake.
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #181
rander7823

Default Who is Bob and how can afford so many houses on the lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAG!
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see bob houses on any of the northern coves on the lake. I think by tomorrow afternoon we'll see bob houses in great numbers all over the lake.
Did Bob win Powerball or did he inherit his money?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #182
gtxrider

Default What about Bob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823
Did Bob win Powerball or did he inherit his money?
Bob did not win Power Ball or inherit all his money. Just lots of hard work.

Dr. Marvin, Dr. Leo Marvin.........

Ice , ice baby
Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #183
Weirs guy

I ALMOST walked off Weirs beach and onto the ice this morning, but the thought of running back to the house wet scared me off. Soon though, very soon.

Now?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #184
rander7823

Default All he wanted was some peace and quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
Bob did not win Power Ball or inherit all his money. Just lots of hard work.

Dr. Marvin, Dr. Leo Marvin.........

Ice , ice baby
Maybe he wanted some peace and quiet and thought he could get it out on the lake at bob's house
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #185
riverat

Saw a guy drive his pick up and tag along 18' trailer on Alton Bay yesterday a set it up near the bandstand. I told him the day before there was only 6-8"
Old 01-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #186
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat
Saw a guy drive his pick up and tag along 18' trailer on Alton Bay yesterday a set it up near the bandstand. I told him the day before there was only 6-8"
Thats just stupid. Why risk it? I don't drive a truck on the ice, nevermind a truck and 18' trailer, unless I have at least 14" and thats in the thin spots.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #187
CanisLupusArctos

Default Crack! Boom!

...Such a good sound that is! At midnight, the lake ice in front of Black Cat is making such noises, noises I haven't heard since last year's ice pack. When the ice is thin, the noises are usually weaker-sounding (crinkle- gurgle.) That's what I heard when I left Monday evening to spend a few days with friends out of state. Tonight I've returned to the CRACK! BOOM! of a healthy, thickening ice pack. It's almost at the threshold of rattling the windows, but not quite. Can't wait to test the thickness in the morning.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:48 AM   #188
HomeWood

Please post results.

You gotta love that sound. Scary sometimes when you are alone and a crack goes right between your legs..woah
Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #189
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAG!
Well, here's one of the houses, early Saturday morning. This leads to some questions, however:
House value?
Property taxes?
View tax?
Lake frontage?
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #190
IceCadet4759

Thumbs up Newbie

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this board, but have been reading and enjoying all your posts. I had my doubts there would be an Ice fishing derby this year, then puff, out of the north comes cold weather and ice in. I'm getting excited as I type. It's time for me to get the gear ready to head up to your great lake and enjoy some winter fun, winning the Great Rotory Fishing Derby...Somehow I think there are many others thinking the same thing

IceCadet
IceCadet4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #191
Waterbaby

Default Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
What a fabulous photo, DRH -- love the "winter" colors in it! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #192
Waterbaby

Default Happy to See Boat Out!!!!!!!

Quote:
...yes, took that photo yesterday Wednesday Jan 24 2007 at about 1pm....that's Gov Isl in the background on the right and Timber on the Left and Gunstock & Belknap Mts which cannot be seen due to the sun over-exposure (probably due to my el cheapo 60 dollar, two-pixel camera). The boat is out of the water with drain plug removed, the lower unit-gearcase-propeller is under the water which is being circulated. How's that sound?
FLL, great to see you got the boat out of the water; here's hoping those circulators do their job and you don't get any freeze damage!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #193
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Meredith Bay

Hello all,

I took a ride to Meredith Bay this morning... there about 9 Bob Houses on the bay..

The Meredith Town Tax Assessors Office has set up a booth at the ramp..

According to several fishermen I spoke with they have about 5" of ice..

Name:  Meridith Bay 1-27-07 1.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Meridith Bay 1-27-07 2.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  Meridith Bay 1-27-07 3.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  Meridith Bay 1-27-07 4.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  36.2 KB

Good News... Ice is Safe... Bad News..noone I spoke with had caught any fish! (Maybe that means there will still be plenty left for the derby!)

SteveA
Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #194
JTA

Default Bob's house

Do bob houses have to be registered? They should be, and tack on a view tax at the same time. Since most bob house owners are residents they should pay a surtax if they know someone from out of state. People not-named-bob should consider some kind of legal action against all of these Bobs.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #195
Weirs guy

Bobs set up camp in the middle of Weirs Bay, although he only brought a tent!

Now?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #196
HomeWood

Thanks a lot for the pics Steve. That makes me very happy to see that!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #197
Senter Cove Guy

Default 19 Mile Bay

Drove by this morning and was amazed to see several bob houses AND a truck AND a camper AND several snowmobiles on the bay ice. Hope that no "rescues" will be required.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #198
CanisLupusArctos

Default Ice Report at Black Cat Is. South

There is about a 4 inch thickness of ice to the south of Black Cat Island, and the open spots that were present earlier in the week have re-frozen. The ice is a mix of black ice and snow ice, and the upper 2 inches are very soft in many areas. There is also about an inch of water on top of the ice in many places, that now is re-freezing. Stepping on it causes a disconcerting crack and sinking feeling, but only to the main ice below. However, with just three good whacks of the mountaineering axe, I got through to the lake. The areas of black ice do a much better job standing up to the axe.

As a precaution I tied myself to the shore with a climbing rope, wore a life vest, secured the mountaineering axe's wrist leash, and cranked the wood stove way up before I went out, "just in case." It felt like overkill until I got out there and saw the ease with which the ice broke (in some places).

One family did venture out much farther, on an area of mainly black ice between Black Cat and Hull Island - see photo.

As temperatures hover around 15 degrees, the main pack is cracking and booming loudly. Looking down towards Rattlesnake I can see heat ripples in the air above the ice, a good sign that it's thickening even more.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #199
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default If they catch a really big fish.....

Do they have to take it to a .... TAXidermist? (rim shot)

Maybe a new source of revenue for the state!

Sorry couldn't resist..
Old 01-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #200
Lin

our local paper in MA this weekend showed an ice shanty being dragged out into Meridith somewhere. Amazing that a weeks worth of cold locked up the ice so much. As a side note our local Rod and Gun club held their ice fishing derby today, they thought with no ice last week they would have to cancel.
wow, what a difference a week makes