Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Pepper

Default My signature is sooooo true!

I know some of you folks read my signature and can't possibly fathom how true it is. So, tonight I can tell a story that will demonstrate!

This afternoon Quilt Lady, DRH, GHfromAltonBay and IslandGirl (with a very nice guest) came to Waldo's for lunch. They come as a group quite often, and usually try to plan their visits during a time when I will be able to sit and chat with them for a while. So, when I received an email the other day letting me know they'd be coming, and would I have time to visit, I happily emailed back that for sure I'd make time to visit with them.

So after they'd had time to eat, I sat with them, and Quilt Lady opened up her quilt bag to show me the absolutely beautiful quilt she'd made for the FFIII raffle. As I'm oogling this wonderful quilt (and plotting in my mind how many tickets I need to buy to have a chance at winning this quilt)and I'm asking her about her tecniques, and how long does it take, and what parts are machine-done, and which parts are hand-quilted ... All the while she's happily answering my questions, and folding up the quilt, and showing me various features on the "white-side" so I can see the hand-stitching, etc. Well, somewhere in the middle of all those questions, and all her answers, she very cleverly switched quilts. Suddenly she's showing me a hand-stitched message on the back, and it says "To Barbara in memory of Mary, from Don and Peg Hughes". As the reality of what was happening hit me, I found myself unable to speak ~ partly because I was dumbstruck, and partly because the tears flowing down my cheeks had conspired with the lump in my throat to make words inaudible.

As I unfolded this absolutely incredible specimen of handiwork, QuiltLady began to explain to me that she had chosen my favorite color, green, as the base, and incorporated lots of pink because I lost my sister to breast cancer. She then presented me with a very special document which describes the "birth" of this quilt, and why she chose the pattern, appropriately titled "Sister's Choice". It goes on to describe more features of the quilt, but one paragraph in particular speaks volumes about the warmth and love of the people on this forum. It reads: The four connected hearts in the center of each block made me think of how we are all connected to one another by love. The cable design in the border represents the ties we have to each other, no matter the distance. The quilt itself is meant for you to wrap yourself in the hugs of all who know and love you.

QuiltLady and DRH - your kindness, generosity, and love warm my heart to it's very core. GH and IG, co-conspirators in today's gift, I'm so glad you two were there to share in the presentation of this very special gift. And to all four of you, I'm really glad you decided to make that special trip, because I wouldn't have wanted everybody at FFIII to see me cry like that!

So very many truly wonderful friends I have made because of this forum!!!!!

BTW - QL ~ I'm wrapped up in the hug quilt, and Oh WOW!!!!!! Niiiiiiice. A million thanks!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Hermit Cover

Default Wow....

Pepper......what a truly wonderful bunch of friends you have....Mrs. HC and I just finished reading this and believe us...there are enough tears down here to add another layer to our Potomac River. Can't wait to see you and all these great folks next weekend. HC
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
pmj

That is a truly beautiful story, Pepper. True friendships are treasures indeed.
I am so sorry about the loss of your sister.
I do not post here often but I do come to read on a regular basis. Maybe I will have to change that.

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Lin

Pepper, that friendship offering and your description of the event made my eyes teary too. What a wonderful moment for you!! Thank you to Quilt Lady and the co=conspiritors to make an awesome rememberence for Pepper. So well deserved!!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
jlrm73

Default Wow...

What a great story! What an amazing gesture! So often you only hear of bad news, and it is SO nice to hear how wonderful people can be!!!
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Quilt Lady and DRH Are Incredible!

What a super story! Pepper, you will definitely feel like your wrapped in hugs when you are snuggling up with it. Believe me I know how special a Quilt Lady quilt can be. (I guard mine very carefully!) Use, enjoy and love it as it was intended. It will never cease to take your breath away.

Quilt Lady and DRH, you are two of the nicest people we have the good fortune to know! We are pleased and proud to call you friends!
Quilt Lady, you are an absolute masterful quilt artist with a kind and generous heart. You and DRH are a wonderful team.
You have touched so many lives with your love and quilts for the babies and for our soldiers.
Three cheers for you! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray! A real local hero!

Big hugs and love,
RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
joann721

Default What A Tremendous Gift

Hi Peper,

You are truly blessed to have such wonderful people in your life.

We have met a few times, over this very short summer, and I just want to tell you that "YOU" are such a vibrant person, I feel very fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to get to know you, even briefly. The energy that flows from you is truly remarkable. You make everyone that stops there feel like an old friend. My husband Kenny, thinks that you are an absolute riot. We were kind of hard on him. He should be used to that by now- he is now wearing his motorcycle helmet 24/7 just in case of an eruption...

The food is great at Waldo's but even without the food and the plane on the roof you are what makes Waldos so special. The people who have had the pleasure of meeting you and getting to know you & the even luckier ones who you call friends have a very special & unique gift.

As you can tell my friend "PERI" isnt visiting today and I can form a clear thought... hahaha... thanks for a summers worth of laughs and over the winter lets both make the effort to "keep them alive" even if they may deserve otherwise...

See you Sunday.... Jo
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Just Sold

Smile

Pepper,

What a wonderful story. You are such a wonderful person with a loving and vibrant soul. I know the quilt will give you plenty of hugs when you need them when Waldo or your friends are not close by to give you one.

DRH & Quilt Lady you are two wonderful and special people and their should be more in this world like you. It would be a better place if there were.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
DRH

Smile Thanks

Pepper, Rattlesnake Gal and Just Sold,

Thanks to you all for your warm and generous comments. However, QL is definitely the "better half" of this team ... I'm just tagging along for the ride!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
Quilt Lady

Default I'm no hero . . .

I'm getting so embarrassed by all the kind words! Thank you. But the REAL heroes are people like Pepper and Island Girl who work though their grief and sorrow by doing something wonderful in memory of their lost loved one. (Pepper by raising money for St. Baldrick's and cancer research and Island Girl for the incredible Snake Eyes!!!) I am so honored to call both of these fantastic women my friend and fellow "Babe"!!!

Another round of hugs to all!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A view from the back of the room...

I'm sitting back reading these marvelous posts to this thread, and I find two words that seem to jump out at me.

Friendship and respect. (and they usually go hand in hand!)

A friend will do something for another with no thought or care of something in return. A friend will see a situation, feel that they can help the situation by doing something, and just do it. And what is so wonderful among friends is that everyone has a chance to help another...it's just the nature of the relationship that builds and bonds among friends.

So to all the ladies (and DRH of course), it is a wonderful thing that has been done to a wonderful friend, and our love goes out to Pepper (feel the love and warmth) and to those who made it possible.

See you Sunday

Dave & Jane
Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #12
Island Girl

Default The Moment

Here is our Pepper and the quilt.....

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
Windrider

Simply remarkable both giver and receiver. We who read here are better because of this.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote