Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2023, 08:24 PM   #1
Wishbone

Default Computer Engine Tuning

My truck, a ford F-150 pings at low RPM. I have taken it to the dealer twice, and it still does it. It is the V-8 5.0 -2018. If there anyone in the area that can look at it with a computer, adjust the timing so it stops pinging. I have tried all the usual remedies, sea foam, techtron, 93 octane gas, etc. without success.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:17 AM   #2
Poor Richard

You really don't want to just start adding or taking away timing to try solving this issue. The issue must be diagnosed and corrected properly.

What you're asking for may well end up grenading the engine if the parameters are adjusted without taking other ECU performance measurements into consideration.

The issue could be a leak somewhere in the vacuum system, intake leak, failed or failing spark plug (s), failing or leaking fuel injector(s), top end carbon buildup, blockage in the catalytic converter, etc

Forget bringing it to a dealer. IMO,, dealers have generally been the worst at everything except taking money. Find a good independent shop and have them dive into it.

I can recommend a couple shops however they are in Allenstown and Nashua respectively.

I can't advise you strongly enough to not go down the path you considering.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

I respectfully agree with Poor Richard. For Ford products, the shop in Nashua is the way to go unfortunately.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:33 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I respectfully agree with Poor Richard. For Ford products, the shop in Nashua is the way to go unfortunately.
Are you referring to Best Ford? If so, I respectfully disagree with your respectfully agreeing—that place is criminal.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:19 AM   #5
Poor Richard

The two shops mentioned in my previous post are:

Allerdice Auto on Granite St in Allenstown

Lionel's Alignment on C St in Nashua

I'm curious what the dealership did during the two visits. There's no mention of a CEL so it could be as simple as a dirty MAF sensor.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2023, 10:05 AM   #6
ITD

Pinging, which refers to preignition, usually doesn't happen at low power, low rpm scenarios, they are usually high power output events. I suppose it could happen at low rpm, engine lugging full throttle application, but that is generally not possible with an automatic transmission. Newer engines have knock sensors that when activated result in strategies, such as retarding the timing, adjusting mixture and other things to resolve the issue. I have not heard an engine ping in a long time. If your engine is pinging, the ecu should set a could that could be retrieved with a reader. There are no adjustments in modern cars, nor would it be wise to try to adjust things. Things that could go wrong should show some type of code set in the ecu.

I wonder if what you are hearing is something like a cv joint falling or maybe an exhaust component flexing?

Edit:

I just searched Youtube for: ford f 150 2018 5.0 pinging at low rpm , check out the results, may give you some ideas.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
My truck, a ford F-150 pings at low RPM. I have taken it to the dealer twice, and it still does it. It is the V-8 5.0 -2018. If there anyone in the area that can look at it with a computer, adjust the timing so it stops pinging. I have tried all the usual remedies, sea foam, techtron, 93 octane gas, etc. without success.
Agree with Poor Richard and BroadHopper.

Find someone who can actually diagnose issue.
Not a new car dealer that wants to replace parts until they find issue.

Below is a Utube video of a mechanic/garage that actually does diagnosis.
This video is not about your specific case. This is a video about how a mechanic does diagnosis.
Also shows how some manufacturers use inferior OEM factory parts - that wear out early.

LINK
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #8
Wishbone

Default What Dealer Did

The first time at the dealer, they replaced the plugs to try and fix it. The second time they reflashed the software in the engine. After it still did it, they told me to go find someone who has more experience with this type of issue.

The engine is not throwing any codes, so I was looking for someone who could diagnose it with a computer, and could see what it is doing real time.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:39 PM   #9
ITD

Try some google fu and search ford f150 5.0 pinging. There are a bunch of people complaining about it. Some think it's actual pinging, others think it something else. One point did come out of it though, what type of fuel are you burning? Most say that burning hi test gas makes the issue better (which it would if it is actually pinging.) One post had this supposedly from the owner's manual:

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 285).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

Try checking out your manual, it may be normal. Surprising though, I'm driving a 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 hemi, I've never heard that ping, but they do recommend mid grade fuel.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:18 PM   #10
Wishbone

Default Fuel

I have done the fuel, using 93 octane, and the problem still continues.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

As LTD posted, newer engines have knock sensors which tell the computer to adjust the timing accordingly to prevent pinging. If they malfunction it "should" set a code. If they are easy to replace I would start there.
I know GM trucks had issues with knock sensors but it would set a code and they were under the intake manifold, so not easily replaced.
I think the thing you're talking about is performance reprograming which is a whole other auto related business. You would have to take it to a shop that specializes in performance tuning. Not many regular repair shops have the knowledge or the equipment to do this.
One thing no one mentioned is overheating, that will cause pinging. I'm assuming it is running at proper temperature, usually around 210 to 220.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote