Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
LakeLackey

Default Bumps From Being In Lake

Wondering if anyone has any experience or info with the following. Spent several hours in the water off Bear Island last two weekend days putting in dock. Both days ended up with loads of very itchy red bumps (looked similar to ant bites) on legs. Legs were basically underwater entire time. Did not appear to be hives as did not go away. Figure must be something in the water. Never happened other years. Obviously know could go to doctor, but figure it will go away. But, wondering what is different in water this year if anyone has any ideas.
LakeLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
sum-r breeze

Default Duck Itch

Sounds like you have a case of what is known as DUCK ITCH .Welcome to the warm weather season at the lake. It's probably worse this year because of all the rain in April & May. It's said to be caused by a parasite (found in duck dung ) that reacts with an itchy blotch type rash. It usually goes away in a couple of days

The Breeze
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Lexxi

Default Duck Itch...UGH !!!

Those ducks will get you every year, just take benadryl and the antihistamine in it will help with the itch, buy the CVS Brand it's cheaper !!
Good Luck and DON'T SCRATCH !!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
KonaChick

It seems as though my kiddies have it too. I thought it was mosquito bites at first but each red "blotch" is about the size of a dime with several little pimple looking things inside each blotch. They are itching real bad. Good advice is to make sure you spray off with the hose after getting out of the lake and also drying off immediately when you get out. I'm across from Bear Island , Kona Shore area. I wonder if for some reason it's bad there. We usually don't get it much because of the wind wich usually sweeps that nasty stuff out! Oh well glad I at least have some benadryl. Good Luck.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:25 AM   #5
ApS

Default Bumps? Stay 150-feet — No, wait...never mind.

It's also known as "swimmer's itch".
Ducks, geese, mergansers, and sea gulls can transport the little critters.

While all waterfowl can be affected, the condition requires snails which are also affected -- which will pass it back to the waterfowl. Lakes without the "correct" snails will not have a duck itch problem.

Snails require growing algae to feed on, and algae require nutrients (fertilizer). Bathing in, washing the boat, or maintaining a lakefront lawn increases the nutrients in Winnipesaukee. Algae is a growing problem. I cannot recall a single case of duck itch when I went to a Lake Winnipesaukee summer camp. ("Camp Jurassic" )

As already stated, toweling off immediately after getting out is the best prevention. The water, as it evaporates, concentrates the little skin-burrowing critters responsible for the itch.
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/955152713.html

A day or two of a favorable wind direction will also concentrate the itch problem into shallow waters.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
Lakewinniboater

Default Yuck.

I also have my kids rinse off with the shower on the back of the boat and bath as soon as we get home. We haven't seen any of that horrible itch yet.

However, I have heard it is a nasty bugger.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Swimmers Itch or Duck Itch - Yuck!

Duck Itch or Swimmers Itch

Preventive measures can be taken to either reduce exposure or attempt to prevent the penetration. Swimming rather than playing or wading in shallow water will reduce exposure. If swimmer’s itch is known to be present, avoid swimming when winds are likely to be carrying cercariae into the beach. Swim offshore if possible. Brisk and vigorous toweling immediately after leaving the water can crush the cercariae before they can penetrate the skin. Some recreationists have noted that some sunscreens and lotions reduce the infections, and a professional aquatic biologist reports applying a waterproof sunscreen before swimming has personally been successful to prevent swimmer's itch. Once the irritation has developed, various soothing lotions or ointments may be applied to relieve the itching. For severe cases, prescription antihistamines and topical steroid creams may be prescribed by a physician.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Frdxplorer

Swimmer's itch is no fun at all. I know from experience. Luckily, the last several years I have avoided it in our area of Winter Harbor. It is one of the reasons many towns have made it illegal to feed ducks off public property.

Last year, we were at the cabin after a family with young children had rented. They had made friends with the ducks who would not leave us alone. My cousin took things into his own hands. (literally)

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...cat=500&page=1

(No duck was harmed, just shaken up, in the taking of this photo)
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Pine Cove

Cool Duck Itch on Bear Island

My whole family has duck itch. Not quite as bad as fire ants so not complaining too much!

Last edited by Pine Cove; 06-29-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Pine Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
MWSP

This is why restaurants with lake frontage have "Do not feed the ducks" signs posted, or so I've been told.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
Deb2005

I spent last weekend at the lake on Long Island. Came home on Sunday and by Monday was covered in itchy red bumps. 2 other people that were with me over the weekend have the same thing. We were swimming off shore and also from the boat in the middle of the lake. Not sure if I want to spend this weekend in the water!! Any ways to prevent it?
Deb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Wing Nut

Hmmm...I was kind of hungry when I started reading this thread. Not any more. The picture really did it to me. But I do have to say that the information everyone makes available in this forum is top notch!

Hmmm...maybe when I get my appetite back I'll have some duck with a nice orange sauce!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
Frdxplorer

Do we know if this year is particularly bad regarding duck itch. I plan to stay out of the water if people all over the lake are getting it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 PM   #14
cabinfever

Default Pine Island Duck Itch

Yep, got swimmer's itch on Pine Island, too....
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
wildwoodfam

Talking Guess we are lucky!

30 years never one case of the itch for any of the family members! Being on an island should protect you as the currents and winds push the waters around and carry the parasites away - or so we figured. The Bear Island cases are peculiar indeed. Which side of the island were you swimming off when you developed the itch? Like I said - 30 years of lake loving and never an itch - now poison ivy is a whole other story!!!! OUCH!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
KonaChick

We look over at Bear Island from Cooks Point area
Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #17
LakeLackey

East side of BI between Pine Is and camps, looking at Moultonborough.
LakeLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #18
gravy boat

Default Dreaded Duck Itch

I am fortunate...haven't had it yet. My husband got a case of it last summer.
Personally, I swear by the following:

1. use as much sunblock as you want, but right before going into the water, slather on oil -- suntan oil with sunblock if you need it. But the point is, don't be shy with oiling up.
2. towel off IMMEDIATELY after getting out of the water.
3. don't feed the ducks where you typically swim and don't swim in areas that are frequented by ducks.

That's it. Simple. And it's worked. I've never had duck itch.

Although I've probably just jinxed myself

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

I think that some people are allergic to it and others are not.I am constantly wet from being on the PWC,never towel off,swim in every area of the lake and have never had a hint of a reaction in 25 years here.Oh boy,now I did it.I can feel myself getting itchy as I write this. SS
Old 07-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #20
Zee

I too have had duck itch each summer for the past five years. I swim every weekend and have found that when I get it is when I have been nearest the shore where it is rocky. I have never gotten it when swimming out from the shore or off a boat. It is my understanding that the parasite clings to rocks. I am very susceptible to it although my husband has never had a problem with it and we swim in the same areas. Then again he doesn't get affected by poison ivy either.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
Bear Islander

Thumbs down

Twenty years on Bear Island near Pine and never a case of duck itch. In the last few days 3 out of 4 family members have it bad, The 4th never went in the water.

I think it is especially bad this year.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #22
Lakewinniboater

Default hhhhmmmm

I am thinking it might be an allergy thing. I have never gotten it and I frequent many of the sandbars, islands and out and about on our PWC.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat
13. don't feed the ducks where you typically swim and don't swim in areas that are frequented by ducks.

Gravy
Gravy ... I did the emphasis above as I agree with all that you say, but we need to avoid feeding any of the waterfowl. Coming out of West Alton Marina Monday PM, there were 4-5 ducks on the rocks on the west side of the channel, probably 8-10 sitting on logs near the shore, and a few more swimming around the "sand bar". Why were they there???? 'Cause they get fed. Sooooo, I agree with what you say, but simply put, don't feed the ducks. (scratch, scratch....)
Old 07-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #24
ApS

These ducks swam over to me when a nearby boat that was feeding them left the scene.

They cuddled so closely, I couldn't focus the camera on them!

Last edited by ApS; 12-21-2005 at 10:03 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #25
jerseyonbear

50 years of stays on Bear Island and never a duck itch. Will be there soon with Grandchildren who love the water for a few weeks. Any suggestions except not to feed the ducks?
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #26
Lady Di

Default Hey Newbie jerseyonbear....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyonbear
50 years of stays on Bear Island and never a duck itch. Will be there soon with Grandchildren who love the water for a few weeks. Any suggestions except not to feed the ducks?
I have heard that Vicks vaporub will help before swimming.....and an immediate shower and vigorous towel rubbing after, will help.

NOthing would keep me out of the lake......so I would be prepared. Benadryl cream.....baking soda baths......

I would treat it the same as "sea lice" bites, here in Florida. They are really stings from Jelly Fish larvae. But, the feeling is the same. Big, itchy welts.

I never had them, either, when we lived there. I hope the little ones can enjoy without being miserable.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 AM   #27
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Try These Measures

Preventive measures can be taken to either reduce exposure or attempt to prevent the penetration. Swimming rather than playing or wading in shallow water will reduce exposure. If swimmer’s itch is known to be present, avoid swimming when winds are likely to be carrying cercariae into the beach. Swim offshore if possible. Brisk and vigorous toweling immediately after leaving the water can crush the cercariae before they can penetrate the skin. Some recreationists have noted that some sunscreens and lotions reduce the infections, and a professional aquatic biologist reports applying a waterproof sunscreen before swimming has personally been successful to prevent swimmer's itch.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
Lakegeezer

Default Getting rid of the itch

One of our guests got the itch last weekend - is there any quick fix to getting rid of it?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #29
sum-r breeze

Talking Itch

We had some itch from the weekend of 6/25 . We read the posts about toweling off and it worked GREAT! None to report over the three day weekend of the 4th

Stay well, Wave to me I'll wave back!
The Breeze
Old 07-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #30
sum-r breeze

Exclamation check threads

LG,
Sorry about not answering your question about treatment once you have it.
Benadryl or a like kind of antihistamine(sp?)seem to help with the itch.
The bumps usually go away in a couple of days. Some real specific info is listed earlier in this thread. Good Luck and DON'T SCRATCH!

The Breeze
Old 07-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #31
KTO

Default Worse this season?

Is it just more or does duck itch seem to be much worse than usual? I've been loaded and even covering myself in the usual sun screen doesn't seem to block it. I've been getting it at the raft (about 6 ft deep) and at the end of the dock (about 12 feet deep) and its usually fairly uncommon to see it in deeper waters.

And yes, Benadryl is your BEST BET because it is gone within 30 mins. and you don't notice you have the itch again, unless you get new ones. The pill though, I don't know how the cream works, but taking one allergy pill makes it better in a few minutes.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #32
Yes Tor

Default Duck itch misdiagnosed

A few years ago my wife and daughter got a bad case of duck itch in Wolfeboro Bay. My wife had no idea what it was, but I did supect duck itch. She is a nurse and would not believe me. Anyway she thought they had chicken pox and went to the emergency room at Huggins Hospital. No one there was able to diagnose this and even went so far as to take expensive blood tests. I figured it out when I got home to my computer the next week. I was shocked that no one at a lakeside hospital in summer could figure out what this was. Truly amazing. It was a miserable itchy week for the girls and a little help would have gone a long way.

I know this thread crops up every year, but it is a good one and the advice here could salvage a vacation!
Yes Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #33
gravy boat

Default UPthe....

Well said. The best way to reduce duck itch is to not feed the ducks -- no matter how cute they may be. ;-)

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #34
NHKathy

Default Duck Itch Free - Thank God !

My husband & I were up at our cottage in Moultonborough this past week. We were in the water everyday at some point or another
- NO DUCK ITCH!
I was VERY apprehensive about going in the water because of this thread and all the cases written about. So, as I read to do :I put on Sunblock(which was normal anyway); then after exiting the water, I immediately toweld off by rubbing dry; then made sure to shower not too long after being in the water; finally we made sure to wash out our suits every day.

Our vote is: Either these preventitive measures worked or it's an allergy thing.

P.S. - Do ducks get duck-itch ?
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:19 AM   #35
KonaChick

Your measures worked I'm assuming because after a few bad days with duck itch my extended family and I did the exact same thing you were doing. The more diligent we were about rinsing and toweling off the less duck itch spots we had. Another thing I noticed is that it seemed to be worse after a few days of humidity and no wind. Once we had a few days of brisk wind in our cove it seemed to get better..don't know if this has any bearing on it at all, just an observation. Glad your measures worked! I had several spots myself that itched like crazy but thankfully went away w/in 2 days. I asked the emergency room nurse (long story..hubby trying to get off boat quickly during one of those violent thunderstorms a few weeks ago..his head met up with the dock in an unfortunate way!!! only 4 stitches though! ) what was the best thing for this darned duck itch and she said Benadryl plus a cortisone based cream.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #36
ApS

Default Please, feed the ducks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy
P.S. - Do ducks get duck-itch ?
The parasite that causes duck-itch leaves the snail host looking for waterfowl. (So ducks do get duck-itch: It may not actually itch the duck -- have to ask)

A new site (to me) states that keeping vegetation down to reduce the number of snails is important.

Did Lake Winnipesaukee's "duck-itch" problem follow right behind the spread of exotic milfoil? I don't recall milfoil OR duck-itch from a Winnipesaukee summer camp years ago.

They also state that there may be a medicine to give to waterfowl to treat the condition in the bird. ('Course, the state will then have to put up signs saying "Please feed the ducks").

Quote:
Since swimmer's itch is really a disease of aquatic birds, the target should be to reduce the possibilities of the birds getting infected. In some small ponds and lakes, the intermediate snails can be killed by chemical molluscicides (copper sulfate or copper carbonate). A newer approach has been to place a drug for treatment of the parasite into food bait for the aquatic birds. Indirectly, it is important that any vegetation in the pond or the lake be kept to a minimum so that the snails do not have the ideal environment to grow. http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/swimmers-itch.html
They also state that if you have not been previously affected by the parasites, you may not have developed the normal immune-response that causes the itch upon your second exposure. I'd question one's duck-itch "immunity".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:08 AM   #37
Kona Family

Claritin is now over the counter and works great, I think a lot better than Benadryl. Benadryl is fine but does make kids cranky and drowsy.
Kona Family is offline   Reply With Quote