Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
Misty Blue

Default Paddle boat help.

When it comes to teaching boating, navigation, etc. I am usually the one putting the chalk on the board. But I have a real hole in my skills and need the help of experienced and knowledgeable paddlers in our little Forum family.

The Coast Guard is in a panic about the increasing number of fatalities in kayaks, canoes and small rowboats. While they are not the largest part of the boating accident pie, the accident rate is rising at an alarming pace and the Auxiliary (and I assume the USPS) has been asked to make paddle boat inspections and education a priority.

While I own two kayaks and a canoe I am affraid that I know little about their safety. Can some of you guys help me out with suggestions. I need to enough information and hints to make about a five minute chat (nothing happens on the water) with paddlers at the launch ramps, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
fatlazyless

I have an older kayak and I noticed that it did have enough positive flotation for when I flip over. Not really enough positive flotation should you get stuck, flipped over, in the cool waters of early June or mid September.

An easy way to increase flotation is with 14" beach balls stuffed into the two pointy ends and inflated to fit tight.

I figure a flipped kayak with good bouyancy has much better visibility & safety out on the lake than someone in a pfd, especially in wavey water. And yes, one obviously wears a pfd in a kayak.

Adding two, $2.49, 14" beach balls has shown me that they make a big differance. Have been attempting eskimo rolls and was surprised to discover how little bouyancy my kayak had.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
islandAl

Default wear PFD

No. 1 is to wear not just have the PFD
Tipping over is probably the biggest issue and they must be aware that it most probably will happen at some time.
Waves can be major problem and each craft has own best way to handle. Most often waves are best taken on directly, bow first to minimize the rocking side to side where many will miscalculate and tip over.
These are not like larger boats where they can get away with stepping on the gunwale. Teach proper boarding and exiting plus the emergency exit after they tip over.
If they do overturn, retrive the paddle (canoe or kayak) and stay with the craft, hold the paddle up to be seen better.
For canoes, step into the center only and stay low while holding onto both gunwales as they move and sit down. When the waves come, bend from the waist.
For the inexperienced, teach to paddle up wind on the first leg so when they get tired on the return, the wind will aid in going home.
Stay close to shore, have a route plan and make sure someone knows where you are going and when expected return. Don't go beyond thier abilities.

personal PS, barrells are working great, thanks again
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
ITD

How about knowing how to swim?? I've seen many non-swimmers take a kayak out a mile from the shore, these same people that are afraid to go beyond knee deep into water without a kayak.

If you want to kayak or canoe know how to swim, if you don't know how to swim, take lessons. I think there should be law........ it would at least save a life.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Seeker

Try this site for help:
http://www.marinerkayaks.com/mkhtml/Kyksaftw.html
Has some good tips.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Kamper

If you have any contacts with the Boy Scouts, try to get a copy of their merit badge booklets for rowing and canoeing. They may have one for kayaks too. I remember a lot of good basics when I earned my rowing and canoeing badges as a teen-ager.

I'm sure the Girl Scouts and possibly the "Y" have materials for their courses as well.

These materials are probably copyrighted but you may be able to obtain some licensing or selling privileges. No sense re-inventing the wheel when generations have used these programs already.

Good luck and thanks for your efforts!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Misty Blue

Default Thanks guys!

Thanks for all of your info. As always, you are the best!

Seeker, the website will be a big help and Kamper...I had forgotten that I have a merit badge for canoes from Camp Carpenter when I went for my Order of the Arrow. Duh...

Again thanks.

Misty.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
GWC...

The following link provides some thoughts from kayakers using intelligence and common sense for guidance regarding being seen on the water.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5064
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
John A. Birdsall

Default Kayak safety

On labor day weekend during the rough weather I was taking my power boat out and all of a sudden there was a kayak about 100' away, I was not going fast as I didn't care for the pounding, but I turned, and not five seconds later I was turning around and they were no where in sight because of the waves. I give all the rights for them to be in the lake when they want, to me it's poor judgement to be out in that type of weather but each to their own. I think though that there should be some type of flag on the kayaks so that they can be seen.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Where are our kayaker friends?

There is some great advice here! I will have my son's and my Boy Scout troop at the lake in a few weeks working on those merit badges. As noted the scout merit badge handbooks are full of safety advice.

There were a good # of very vocal forum paddling members when it came to speed limits, it would be nice to see them commenting here as well.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

Default The safest thing you can do is stand out.

I really appreciate it when kayackers have bright vessels and bright paddles and or life vest. Our kayaks are intentionally two different bright colors to further increase the visibility. Orange and Yellow.

A few weeks ago we saw a pair of folks in grey kayaks. They blended perfectly with the white caps they were traveling through.

That being said, I fully support people's right to dress like a speed bump as long as it is factored in as contributory to the collision.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
Winnipesaukee

Stay low in the boat, take waves at a 45 degree angle. Not a good idea to go out in more than 10-13 knots (if you see whitecaps), specially in a canoe. PFDs on at all times. Venture out in groups and have a whistle fastened to each PFD (get a "Fox 40"--$5 at Wal-Mart. They're ridiculously loud.).

Learn to eskimo roll if you have that type of kayak?

How about this one: take up sailing.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Pricestavern

Default Stern Light

For those kayaking at dusk/evening, a white stern light (just like on the big boats) is a must. There are models available that stick to the rear deck using a suction cup.

In addition, I keep a waterproof lantern between my legs (no pun intended).

But again, the thing to remember is that no matter what you have to help your visibility, act as cautiously as if you were invisible - because you practically are. The right of way don't mean nothin' when nobody sees you!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
sa meredith

Default Funny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I have an older kayak and I noticed that it did have enough positive flotation for when I flip over. Not really enough positive flotation should you get stuck, flipped over, in the cool waters of early June or mid September.

An easy way to increase flotation is with 14" beach balls stuffed into the two pointy ends and inflated to fit tight.

I figure a flipped kayak with good bouyancy has much better visibility & safety out on the lake than someone in a pfd, especially in wavey water. And yes, one obviously wears a pfd in a kayak.

Adding two, $2.49, 14" beach balls has shown me that they make a big differance. Have been attempting eskimo rolls and was surprised to discover how little bouyancy my kayak had.
While your posts are often strange, and I'm sure ignored by many members, I must say....sometimes I can't stop laughing!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
fatlazyless

It wasn't intended to be funny.

Wal-Mart sells these large inflatable blue or green vinyl beach balls for about 2.50. By deflating, pushing them into the pointy ends of a kayak, and reinflating, the bouyancy is very much increased, should the kayak get flipped and fill with water.

Same technique can be used on canoes, rowboats, all types of small boats.

The Red Cross teaches to stay with the boat, and not to attempt swimming to shore. Especially good advice in cold water. My old 16' Necky Chinook kayak did not have any positive buoyancy when full of water.

Similarly. old aluminum Grumman canoes came with foam floatation sealed into the two pointy ends, and over time the foam detereorates.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Great idea Les- for what it is worth, I think you are a good egg! Unlike some, you don't take yourself too seriously.

John
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote