Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2023, 09:33 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default New Appliances

Our fridge, dishwasher and oven are old. I plan to replace them before any give up the ghost at some inconvenient time. Thanks to on-line research, I have a pretty good idea what brands/models I'm interested in (LG fridge, KitchenAid dishwasher, TBD cooktop/oven. I next plan to visit several dealer floors in the area to hopefully view models (or similar ones) that I'm interested in and make a purchase.

At present, I'm aware of Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Baron's. I believe each (maybe not so much Best Buy) have sizeable display floors. Baron's is the only one of the four I've never been to before. As a more local dealer, I'm thinking I might get a better experience there from sales through delivery/installation??? I'd appreciate hearing of any recent experiences/recommendations Forum members have at any of these locations, other local businesses or via on-line purchases.

Thanks.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
Roy_Hobbs

I purchased a fridge this year and an oven a couple years ago from Baron’s and was pleased with their service and pricing in both instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Roy_Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:17 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Baron's

I have better luck with Baron's service and installation. Baron's usually match the big chains in price. Better quality merchandise such as Subzero, Viking, Speed Queen and Fisher Paykel.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:49 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Barons has been our favorite for years. Very knowledgeable sales and installers
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:10 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Barons

Barons has been great for us both in sales and service!

Dan
Old 07-31-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
MeredithMan

Baron's is great. We have a 10 year old Thermador oven/range that we bought from them and the middle pane of glass in the oven door recently randomly exploded at 1AM. I opened a Support Case with Thermador and they are giving us the run-around while Baron's is fighting on our behalf.

Separately, I would highly discourage you from the LG, (or Samsung too), fridge. They look pretty with their blinking lights and other features, but they are notoriously unreliable. In our last house in MA, the previous owners had bought an LG Fridge from either Lowe's or Home Depot, just before they sold the house. Within 6 mos, the fridge was dead...compressor shot, and the way it was designed, it could not be replaced. I did a bunch of research at that time, (2017), and they were notorious for compressor failures. Perhaps that has changed by now, but we ended up replacing it with a GE Profile fridge, (which we had had before), and it was rock solid.

(Sorry, I was incorrect in my timing above, as my wife has pointed out....senior moment. The previous owners had purchased the LG fridge 6 mos before we bought the house. It was approx 2-3 yrs old when the compressor died. When we called LG, they told us we would be charged for the initial "assessment" service call; if anything could be fixed, we would have to pay for the parts and the 2nd service call to install it. We did have the initial service call, and the repair guy stated that he had seen many LG failures like ours and advised us not to try to fix it, as it would end up costing almost as much as a brand new fridge)
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:57 AM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Kitchen remodel two years ago we went all Bosch appliances from Barons. Everything worked out. Did purchase the additional warranty

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
FlyingScot

Another vote for Baron's--their Ossipee team has been great for a handful of appliances over the years.

BTW, you might consider induction for your oven's cooktop. Higher heat and quicker responsiveness than propane. We bought a Jenn Air from Baron's that is way better than our super gourmet natural gas in Mass
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Whatever you do don't get sucked into buying cheap Samsung appliances, they are garbage.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:13 AM   #10
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Baron's is great. We have a 10 year old Thermador oven/range that we bought from them and the middle pane of glass in the oven door recently randomly exploded at 1AM. I opened a Support Case with Thermador and they are giving us the run-around while Baron's is fighting on our behalf.

Separately, I would highly discourage you from the LG, (or Samsung too), fridge. They look pretty with their blinking lights and other features, but they are notoriously unreliable. In our last house in MA, the previous owners had bought an LG Fridge from either Lowe's or Home Depot, just before they sold the house. Within 6 mos, the fridge was dead...compressor shot, and the way it was designed, it could not be replaced. I did a bunch of research at that time, (2017), and they were notorious for compressor failures. Perhaps that has changed by now, but we ended up replacing it with a GE Profile fridge, (which we had had before), and it was rock solid.

(Sorry, I was incorrect in my timing above, as my wife has pointed out....senior moment. The previous owners had purchased the LG fridge 6 mos before we bought the house. It was approx 2-3 yrs old when the compressor died. When we called LG, they told us we would be charged for the initial "assessment" service call; if anything could be fixed, we would have to pay for the parts and the 2nd service call to install it. We did have the initial service call, and the repair guy stated that he had seen many LG failures like ours and advised us not to try to fix it, as it would end up costing almost as much as a brand new fridge)
Thanks MM. I'll be sure to ask detailed questions about the LGs. Interesting thing is that Consumer Reports has numerous LG fridges at the top of their ratings. Also, when searching online for general refrigerator information, LG seems to be the most liked brand (at least among medium tier brands). Also note that we need a cabinet depth model so that reduces the options quite a bit.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:21 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Whatever you do don't get sucked into buying cheap Samsung appliances, they are garbage.
I agree..... replaced our stove during covid, and it was all we could get.... We still have it, and have gotten use to some of the quirks.... but overall they simply aren't great appliances.....

With that said.... I have used the big box stores, with very good success.... it is a mater of knowing what you are looking for, and comparing prices. Last winter our Washing Machine, gave up the ghost.... I am sure I could have fixed it, but it was time for something new.... Using the big box store I got the same washing Machine, that I could have gotten from the local appliance store, for the same price... but delivered much quicker......

It was worth it. What the big box store don't do well is installations that require modifications.... they tend to be a bit pricey so going with your local appliance store is often times a better option....
Old 07-31-2023, 10:21 AM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default No to LG

A couple of years ago we ordered, in March, an LG fridge for May delivery at Lowes in Gilford. It kept getting back ordered. As we started to close camp in September, we finally cancelled the order. Next spring, we got a GE from Lowes. Everything went smoothly. Happy with the product. Island Construction picked it up, brought it to the island and did the installation. Great guys.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:24 AM   #13
Winilyme

Thanks all. For sure, our first and maybe only stop will be Baron's in Belmont.

Regarding the dishwasher, we're looking at KitchenAid due to our satisfaction with them at our CT home.

I'm still researching the range. One thing I'm noticing is it seems the single oven units seem to have sacrificed the storage drawer below for a larger oven. Totally makes sense - but for us, with a rather small kitchen, losing that drawer hurts.

Fridge wise, we require a cabinet-depth unit so that reduces options quite a bit - though I'm finding that they are so much more popular than years ago. We've always gone with side-by-sides in the past but we're thinking we'll go with a french door/bottom freezer model. Have any of you had both in the past? Thoughts on what you like best and why?
Old 07-31-2023, 10:28 AM   #14
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
A couple of years ago we ordered, in March, an LG fridge for May delivery at Lowes in Gilford. It kept getting back ordered. As we started to close camp in September, we finally cancelled the order. Next spring, we got a GE from Lowes. Everything went smoothly. Happy with the product. Island Construction picked it up, brought it to the island and did the installation. Great guys.
Thanks but ouch - another ding for LG. I'll look closer at GE. One thing I liked about the LG is that they get great reviews from a standpoint of low noise levels.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:28 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Meredith Man, That is interesting that you had trouble with LG. All the pretty things were appealing to us too but when we got it, it never cooled off the first night with all our food in it. We got a replacement Electrolux which Suncook appliance tried to fix all summer without success. I had a little dorm fridge in the house and an old fridge in the garage for the WHOLE summer. It was awful! Finally we got Electrolux to replace it but that didn't cool either so I told Baron's I wasn't going through the hassle again. We fought for a store credit and bought a Bosch which is wonderful and still is. My previous one was Kitchen Aid and I loved it-never an issue. This and the Viking oven I bought were the worst two appliance I ever had. I dread the day I have to replace my refrigerator!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:31 AM   #16
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Another vote for Baron's--their Ossipee team has been great for a handful of appliances over the years.

BTW, you might consider induction for your oven's cooktop. Higher heat and quicker responsiveness than propane. We bought a Jenn Air from Baron's that is way better than our super gourmet natural gas in Mass
We have an induction cooktop in CT...and love it. Thing is, for our cottage, we're leaning more towards the basics. Plus, I don't want to have to go out and buy a whole new set of pots and pans. Our current ones are still in great shape but don't have the right magnetics for induction.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:21 PM   #17
Woody38

Default total kitchen

Best in your search.

Tore out the builder kitchen to the walls. installed oak floors into the laundry and bath. Got everything from Yale electric in Boston, they will not deliver to NH. So, we have Sub zero sd with ice and water, wolf double oven(what a godsend), 36 inch induction cooktop on island, wine cooler and warming drawer. Would we do this again. In a heartbeat.
Love to cook, only for us tho.
If your guests come early or want to talk forever, put everything in the warming drawer, you will be fine. Never thought a double oven was worth having until we needed to bake at different temps.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:07 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post

Regarding the dishwasher, we're looking at KitchenAid due to our satisfaction with them at our CT home.

I'm still researching the range. One thing I'm noticing is it seems the single oven units seem to have sacrificed the storage drawer below for a larger oven. Totally makes sense - but for us, with a rather small kitchen, losing that drawer hurts.

Fridge wise, we require a cabinet-depth unit so that reduces options quite a bit - though I'm finding that they are so much more popular than years ago. We've always gone with side-by-sides in the past but we're thinking we'll go with a french door/bottom freezer model. Have any of you had both in the past? Thoughts on what you like best and why?
A trusted and knowledgeable friend got a Bosch dishwasher, very happy. Shorty after, we needed one too and went for Kitchenaid as it was quieter. Our first Kitchenaid lasted 25 years. Happy with the new one too.
Side by side fridges seem to have ice dispenser in the door which sacrifices a lot of space. Seems like visiting our friends, we always have to get ice from the freezer because the dispenser doesn't work or sprays water all over the floor. No room in the side by side for big items like the crock pot dish, or big turkey. Freezer too narrow for an ice cream cake. We have French door at home and at camp. Love it.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:59 PM   #19
MeredithMan

Quote:

We've had both side-by-side and French Door. As Descant mentioned in his or her post, the side-by-side ends up being very narrow, especially the freezer, (unless you get one of the huge sub-zero ones), so any large frozen items don't fit, (e.g., big frozen pizza, etc). You can fit pretty much anything in the french door/freezer below models. The only thing we have found is that sometimes you can end up piling a bunch of stuff in the freezer and you forget what's at the bottom of the pile until you dig down and find that something is 2 or 3 yrs old! My wife the Mechanical Engineer also states that freezer-under models are more efficient because cold air naturally sinks.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:28 PM   #20
TheProfessor

The new Maytag Man.

LINK

Listen to the folks that repair appliances.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 09:17 PM   #21
TheTimeTraveler

My free advice before buying any appliance? Go to the library and read Consumer Reports.

I have previously heard that LG and Samsung products have had serious issues, and getting parts seem to be the biggest issues! With that, I have always stayed away from those particular products.

If I'm going to be here 4 or 5 months a year I want to be absolutely sure not to encounter reliability issues. Issues like that can ruin a summer!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:33 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
We've had both side-by-side and French Door. As Descant mentioned in his or her post, the side-by-side ends up being very narrow, especially the freezer, (unless you get one of the huge sub-zero ones), so any large frozen items don't fit, (e.g., big frozen pizza, etc). You can fit pretty much anything in the french door/freezer below models. The only thing we have found is that sometimes you can end up piling a bunch of stuff in the freezer and you forget what's at the bottom of the pile until you dig down and find that something is 2 or 3 yrs old! My wife the Mechanical Engineer also states that freezer-under models are more efficient because cold air naturally sinks.
I guess that would be based on where the compressor is located. A bottom mounted compressor next to a bottom freezer should technically be much less energy efficient.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:18 AM   #23
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
My free advice before buying any appliance? Go to the library and read Consumer Reports.

I have previously heard that LG and Samsung products have had serious issues, and getting parts seem to be the biggest issues! With that, I have always stayed away from those particular products.

If I'm going to be here 4 or 5 months a year I want to be absolutely sure not to encounter reliability issues. Issues like that can ruin a summer!
Over the years we've had quite a few Samsung tvs though and they seem to be ok.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:57 AM   #24
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Over the years we've had quite a few Samsung tvs though and they seem to be ok.
Yes, they make great TV's, appliances, not so much!
Old 08-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #25
TheProfessor

Quote:
Thanks to on-line research, I have a pretty good idea what brands/models I'm interested in
Another avenue is to find out the cost of a replacement circuit board panel.

Many if not all appliances now use a touchscreen ciruit board paeel for all operations. Many times that is the first thing to go.

Kitchenaid is just another name for Whirlpool.
LG is a Korea company that has factories all over the world.
Never heard of TBD.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:07 PM   #26
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Another avenue is to find out the cost of a replacement circuit board panel.

Many if not all appliances now use a touchscreen ciruit board paeel for all operations. Many times that is the first thing to go.

Kitchenaid is just another name for Whirlpool.
LG is a Korea company that has factories all over the world.
Never heard of TBD.
TBD, to be determined!
Old 08-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #27
Susie Cougar

We are in the process of building a new house and we have been looking at appliances,also. I would try to keep all your appliances from the same company, but if you want, upgrade your stove to a Viking or a Wolf or something like that. Just my opinion.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:29 AM   #28
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Baron's is great, but their pricing is definitely high. If buying "everyday" brands, though, it's easy to shop the competition to just make sure you're not overpaying.

I was always told to buy appliances at different times so they don't all fail within the same window.

LG and Samsung are junk for reliability but have awesome features.

Our new fridge is a bottom freezer and we don't love it. It's definitely more energy efficient than our old one, but that might simply be because it's, well, not old.

What we don't love about it: the ice bucket takes up around 20% of the frozen section. When we open the main freezer drawer, the upper freezer drawer slides out with it and I have to push it back to get into the bottom, but it always rolls back out. Because of the ice tray taking up space in the top drawer, getting something sizable in—cake, frozen baking pan—is not always easy/possible. Finding stuff requires moving things around and putting stuff in is like a game of Tetris.

I'm listing these because they're all the result of having a counter-depth model that's both very shallow and among the least wide options (but still in the "standard" size range, as opposed to "small"/"apartment" size). If you can fit a standard width, your experience might be significantly different.

Finally, and this is just a thought: if you don't have a waterline run yet, you might also avoid it in the new fridge. We opted against an ice maker for our camp fridge to avoid the chance that it might leak behind the fridge for a long time before being caught. Though, as I'm typing this, I'm thinking that putting ice cube trays into the bottom freezer we have at home would be significantly different than in the top freezer we have at camp...

Godspeed!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:26 AM   #29
Light Breeze

Barons has been great for us, several appliances now....
Light Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #30
TheProfessor

Neighbor dishwasher.
Handle was part of the entire front panel.
Handle/front panel was connected to circuit board in multiple places. On back.
Handle part broke.
Bought entire front integrated front panel/handle.
Then took off old front panel/handle.
Too many clips/connectors/plugs.
Broke a connector attempting to get old panel/handle off.

Bottom line. Got a new dishwasher.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Neighbor dishwasher.
Handle was part of the entire front panel.
Handle/front panel was connected to circuit board in multiple places. On back.
Handle part broke.
Bought entire front integrated front panel/handle.
Then took off old front panel/handle.
Too many clips/connectors/plugs.
Broke a connector attempting to get old panel/handle off.

Bottom line. Got a new dishwasher.
What I've found is that it's usually cheaper to buy a new one than to fix an old one, esp if it's over 5 years old!
Old 08-03-2023, 06:18 PM   #32
TheTimeTraveler

Sadly, we have turned into a disposable society these days as stuff is made or designed not to last. Just throw it out and replace it.

Anyone hear of a TV repairman anymore? Not.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #33
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Another way to look at it...

Another way to look at it is that so much of what we buy doesn't last and becomes planned obsolescence. Overall, it is as cheap or cheaper to replace with new than to repair something that is just off warranty. Sad state of affairs.

Dave
Old 08-03-2023, 08:43 PM   #34
John Mercier

Buy a higher quality product with a longer warranty...
Or choose a product that can be repaired DIY.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:31 AM   #35
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Sadly, we have turned into a disposable society these days as stuff is made or designed not to last. Just throw it out and replace it.

Anyone hear of a TV repairman anymore? Not.
New TV’s are tough to repair. All solid state and a repair is usually a circuit board or a flat panel. This doesn’t play well with the idea of home repair. Gone are the days of pulling the back off and replacing vacuum tubes.

Appliances are different. All you need is to be reasonably handy and have access to YouTube. You can be pretty sure that if you have a problem with something, someone else has and has done a video of the repair. Parts are available on-line from vendors who have exploded diagrams of your appliance. I have repaired dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, stove & ovens, and trash mashers this way and saved me a bucket of money. Full disclosure: I had to buy a new trash masher because after 48 yrs they stopped making replacement parts!

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 03:17 PM   #36
DoTheMath

Default Baron's!

We redid our entire house up there a few years ago, and based on a friends advice, went with (higher-end models) of Whirlpool for everything in the kitchen. The reason was a combination of quality and the ability to readily get service / parts if needed. Also did the extended protection plans, JIC. Baron's delivered, did the conversion on the gas range and all was good. Highly recommend them, nice to support a local company and they have sales here and there too.
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #37
fatlazyless

Baron's Appliances, Route 3, Belmont NH is open seven days per week and I've had two very happy appliance shopping trips, there, where I purchased and hauled away a stove or refrigerator in my utility trailer. Last time on a Sunday in April 2023 I was in and out of here in about 20-minutes with a new white frig.

Hasta la vista, Baron's!
Old 08-25-2023, 10:12 PM   #38
Winilyme

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Here's where we ended up.

Fridge - Bosch french door model. Came close to going with a GE Profile but extra quiet operation was important to us and no fridges are quieter than Bosch and LG. We really downgraded LG after receiving all the feedback here though, I will say, their new Max models are very tempting. We need a counter depth fridge and LG has figured out how to get 26.5 SF of storage in these. That's nearly the amount of storage in a full size fridge. The Bosch model we got is about 4 SF smaller than the LG Max - most of that loss is in the freezer. We don't have a lot of stuff in the freezer anyway so no big deal. Plus, the Bosch has designed their bottom freezer in such a way that despite less space, we'll be able to be more organized. Bottom line, I couldn't get the warning about LG out of my mind despite the fact I've learned that they are overcoming the prior compressor issues. Purchased the five-year service plan as well.

Dishwasher - Went with a Bosch 800 model with the new crystal technology that supposedly does a great job drying plastics. I did a lot of research on this and the reviews are very good and all I've read say the technology works. We'll see. Did not purchase the five-year service plan.

Range - Chose a GE Profile Electric smooth top. Solid ratings and we liked the features. This is a free-standing range. We thought about induction, which we have in our CT home (and love), but the added cost, need to buy new pots and pans, and modifications we'd need to make to our counters discouraged us (there are very few free-standing induction models. Did not purchase the five-year service plan.

The feedback I received from all that replied to my post was helpful and very much on my mind as we shopped. Finally, we first went to Baron's in Laconia and never looked back. Very happy with their attentive service though we did visit Lowes as they had several models we were considering in stock at the same time. We take a hopefully uneventful delivery next week.

Appreciate your advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 05:47 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Here's where we ended up.

Fridge - Bosch french door model. Came close to going with a GE Profile but extra quiet operation was important to us and no fridges are quieter than Bosch and LG. We really downgraded LG after receiving all the feedback here though, I will say, their new Max models are very tempting. We need a counter depth fridge and LG has figured out how to get 26.5 SF of storage in these. That's nearly the amount of storage in a full size fridge. The Bosch model we got is about 4 SF smaller than the LG Max - most of that loss is in the freezer. We don't have a lot of stuff in the freezer anyway so no big deal. Plus, the Bosch has designed their bottom freezer in such a way that despite less space, we'll be able to be more organized. Bottom line, I couldn't get the warning about LG out of my mind despite the fact I've learned that they are overcoming the prior compressor issues. Purchased the five-year service plan as well.

Dishwasher - Went with a Bosch 800 model with the new crystal technology that supposedly does a great job drying plastics. I did a lot of research on this and the reviews are very good and all I've read say the technology works. We'll see. Did not purchase the five-year service plan.

Range - Chose a GE Profile Electric smooth top. Solid ratings and we liked the features. This is a free-standing range. We thought about induction, which we have in our CT home (and love), but the added cost, need to buy new pots and pans, and modifications we'd need to make to our counters discouraged us (there are very few free-standing induction models. Did not purchase the five-year service plan.

The feedback I received from all that replied to my post was helpful and very much on my mind as we shopped. Finally, we first went to Baron's in Laconia and never looked back. Very happy with their attentive service though we did visit Lowes as they had several models we were considering in stock at the same time. We take a hopefully uneventful delivery next week.

Appreciate your advice.
On a few different dealer recommendations (that sold LG themselves), we pulled them off our potential list immediately—I think you chose correctly to do so as well.

My parents had a Bosch dishwasher, and it was oddly quiet—it really blew me away at how silent it was...but it did a terrible job of drying. If they've figured that part out, it'll be the perfect washer.

Good luck on the delivery and glad to hear things worked out so well!

Old 08-26-2023, 07:29 AM   #40
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

My parents had a Bosch dishwasher, and it was oddly quiet—it really blew me away at how silent it was...but it did a terrible job of drying. If they've figured that part out, it'll be the perfect washer.
They've figured it out, ours is quiet.

My favorite dishwasher is the Fisher Paykel Dish Drawers. Two independent drawers, one on top of the other, that each hold about 60-70% of a normal dishwasher. So you get huge capacity, and also the flexibility to run less than a full load
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #41
fatlazyless

Default What to do with your old but usable appliances?

Ok, so you are replacing your old kitchen refrigerator, sink, dishwher, frig, stove and getting new appliances. So, what to do with the old appliances that still are still working and usable?

The ReStore on Tenney Mtn Hgwy in Plymouth, between the NH Electric Coop and the entry to Walmart ..... www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/shop .... has a large box truck and will come to your home to remove old, still usable appliances and large furniture ..... or you can deliver it, yourself.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #42
dpg

Got a kitchen of appliances from Barons early this summer, they were good to deal with. Generally speaking I'm a fan of staying away from H.D. type stores I'm a believer of the theory they carry cheaper things even though the overall appliance looks identical (maybe more plastic internals?) Bought an LG dishwasher a month ago in Mass from an equivelant "Barons type" store down here. Cleans well, near silent and dries good too. We'll see how long my luck holds out.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:03 AM   #43
John Mercier

They use the plastic internals on tools.

Professional level tools are operated everyday all year long... so they have to withstand more wear from use and be rebuildable.

Residential grade tools are general purchase for a big project... say building a deck... but then sit in the garage for weeks awaiting the next big project.

I don't think... maybe online... that HD sells commercial grade appliances.

For lawn tractors... like John Deere... they sell the same units as a dealer would. A registered dealer has to actually take them out of their steel shipping crates, assemble them, and sign off on the check list before HD can place the registration in their computer and sell them. HD has limitation on that JD will only sell them the residential grades like the Series 100, and limits the high end stuff to just registered dealers.

On Andersen windows... same quality... just the off-the-shelve items are what-you-see-is-what-is-available. Once they special order a window, it comes from the same factory as mine does, same costs, same quality, same lead time... we deliver for free: they don't. Also they can not do the E-Series windows that are high end due to the many options.
Their stock vinyl is usually builder grade (short warranty and only good enough to meet the local code requirement) with limited field service do to being a national brand.

So I wouldn't worry about comparable appliances... just Barron's will have higher end options with more features and even commercial grade if that is what you desire.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (09-19-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 05:27 AM   #44
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
They've figured it out, ours is quiet.

My favorite dishwasher is the Fisher Paykel Dish Drawers. Two independent drawers, one on top of the other, that each hold about 60-70% of a normal dishwasher. So you get huge capacity, and also the flexibility to run less than a full load
I have the same dishwasher. Perfect for empty nesters and the occasional family get together. Quiet!

I went along with a Fisher Paykel washing machine and dryer. Comparable to the Speed Queen. All Fisher Paykel appliances have stainless steel drums/case while other manufactures use plastic.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:56 AM   #45
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have the same dishwasher. Perfect for empty nesters and the occasional family get together. Quiet!

I went along with a Fisher Paykel washing machine and dryer. Comparable to the Speed Queen. All Fisher Paykel appliances have stainless steel drums/case while other manufactures use plastic.
That's funny because I had Fisher Paykel washer and dryer and had nothing but trouble with them.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:40 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Quote:
That's funny because I had Fisher Paykel washer and dryer and had nothing but trouble with them.
There's a huge variation in the reviews of Fisher Paykel, which is why we steered clear of them as well.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:27 AM   #47
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We have a Fisher Paykel and love it....no serious problems so far.
Had to unplug it to reset once.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #48
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Same here...we had them at our mainland home...nothing but trouble...replaced them with Speed Queen...no comparison, not even close!

Dan
Old 09-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #49
Macavity

Quote:
I wonder if it has something to do with the year. Ours are from 2004 and still going strong. Not to mention, actually using enough water to do a good job.

Mac
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 04:16 AM   #50
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
I wonder if it has something to do with the year. Ours are from 2004 and still going strong. Not to mention, actually using enough water to do a good job.

Mac
It very well could be. I had these quite a long time ago and things do change.