Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Jonas Pilot

Default Man arrested on NH lake. (WMUR)

A man was arrested on a Nottingham lake after New Hampshire Fish and Game Department officials said he was speeding and his and officer in the face.
Conservation Officer Christopher McKee and Geoffrey Pushee said they were conducting a patrol by boat on Pawtuckaway Lake when they saw a boat speeding through an area busy with boats, canoes and kayaks on Friday at about 8:45 p.m.
The officers tried to stop the boat, but the NHFGD said when the driver saw the officers, he fled from the area.
The officers tried to pursue the boat, but their patrol boat wasn't able to keep up.
The officers were able to maintain visual contact with the boat by putting one of the officers on shore while the other stayed in the boat.
McKee was able to approach the boat alongside as it passed under the Horseneck Bridge. He ordered the driver to stop and told him he was going to come on board the boat, officials said.
The driver then began to hit McKee repeatedly with his fists in the face and body and attempted to throw him overboard, NHFGD officials said.
McKee said he gained control, pepper-sprayed the driver and arrested him on charges of assaulting a law enforcement officer.
The man was identified as Wayne Dorrance, 47, of Nottingham. He was operating a 1988 Hydrostream vessel with a 200 horsepower outboard motor, officials said.
Dorrance was taken to the Rockingham County Jail and held on a $10,000 cash bail pending a Monday morning arraignment scheduled for Candia District Court.
McKee was taken to Exeter Hospital and treated for injuries that were not life-threatening.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 06-26-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: mispelled
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

WOW. Where exactly are you going to run on a lake. Pull over and take the ticket. Would have cost that guy a whole lot less trouble in the long run.

Can you imagine if that Officer was the Sheriff though....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
VtSteve

At his age, you'd think someone would have taught him a lesson long ago. The F&G officer seems to have been pretty restrained given the circumstances. Sounds like just the guy that needs to be taken off the water, good job.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
At his age, you'd think someone would have taught him a lesson long ago. The F&G officer seems to have been pretty restrained given the circumstances. Sounds like just the guy that needs to be taken off the water, good job.
I just read about this in the Sunday paper and I agree, what the heck is the matter with people now a days? Especially somebody who's 47 years old. Come on that's just pathetic.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I can't find anything on it. I just re read the original post it says he tried to throw the officer overboard? Will this now be an "attempted murder of a police officer"? For a speeding/unsafe operation ticket? Come on.... I hope that Officer is OK. That could have been a very bad outcome as he had no backup with him after letting the other officer off the boat. I'll bet he doesn't do that again. Goes to show when we complain about the Marine Patrol what they have to deal with every now and again.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
TOAD

"Stupid is as Stupid does"...GUMP
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
The officers were able to maintain visual contact with the boat by putting one of the officers on shore while the other stayed in the boat.
Does anyone understand how putting someone on land would help you keep a visual on a suspect on this lake? Something in this explanation for being alone at the time of the attack sounds peculiar.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
ApS

Default Hydrostream = Bass Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Does anyone understand how putting someone on land would help you keep a visual on a suspect on this lake? Something in this explanation for being alone at the time of the attack sounds peculiar.

I'll guess that rather than be continually outmanuevered by the other boat—playing tag on a small lake—one officer stayed at the boat ramp (or the boat owner's dock).

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post

I live within walking distance of this incident and know the area well. If the guy was south of Horse Island, there are only two narrow channels he could go through to get to the north end of the lake (which is where the launch ramp is). The patrol boat could block the wider-looking channel and force the guy to go into submerged rocks (there are scads of them) to get by. The navigable channel is quite narrow, but a boat would be required to block it. The land-based officer could handle blockage of the bridge channel since it's quite narrow. I'd guess that's what they did.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (06-28-2010), VitaBene (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Comments on WMUR web site.

Folks in NH actually thinks the guy can get away with it because the speed limit law in on Lake Winnipesaukee only. They are wrong. The reasonable and prudent law as well as the 150' rule will come into play. Non boaters need to be educated.
hazelnut (06-28-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
XCR-700

When I read stuff like this I really believe we are going to hell in a handbasket,,,

Madness,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote