Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default The Contractor Lock Set Story

I was a contractor/builder helper - many years ago. Many years ago.
Addition to a home.

The contractor/builder had a builders/commercial account at a local lumber yard.
The new entry door was secured to addition. But needed a new keyed lock set.
All was going to be a charge to builders commercial account.

So the builder sent me down to local lumber yard. Get a Schlage brass set. Builder was adament. Do not go to retail section and grab a retail clear plastic wrapped as cost is higher at retail. Get the box verson that is located in one of the lumber yard sheds. Charge to buildrs commercial account.
I did go check the retail price. At that time price for retail clear plastic wrapped version was $19.95. This lumber yard did have a retail section.

So I go to contractor counter and ask for the boxed keyed brass Schlage lockset. Get it. Lockset gets installed in new addition entry door.

Month later I ask builder what he was charged for the boxed entry Schlage keyed lockset. I was curious as to how much of a discount a contractor gets.

He showed me the invoice/bill. As a contractor, he was charged $22.95.
This was the exact same lockset that was in the clear plastic retail section that was priced at $19.95.

Now maybe Schlage makes two different locksets that look exactly the same.
Look exactly the same. Yes, they looked exactly the same.

Of course, there could have been a manufacturer price increase. And no one got around to raising the retail price. Or maybe the retail Schlage lockset was purchased earlier from manufacturer/distributor at a lower price.

Why didn't the builder/contractor order the lockset when door was ordered. Could have just been an oversight. As lots of wood, windows, flashiing, shingles etc. was ordered earlier.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
JayR

Surely you learned about kickbacks in your time in that industry. And perhaps learned about kickbacks on kickbacks too?!
Old 12-22-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
John Mercier

No. He is correct.
Schlage Locksets come in Vis-a-Pak and Box Sets.
Vis-a-Pak is less costly currently in our system also... though the gap is higher.

Schlage does make different series; but those would have different designator codes.

Generally the code tells me the series, function, style, finish, and then if it is a vis-a-pak or box set.

Also there is a code on the top/back of each package that allows someone to purchase more than one unit having the same key code (keyed alike).
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:43 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

We were maybe the second house phase two of our development. We were onsite 2-3 times a day and the builder gave us a key which was actually a master, as more houses were built. Some knew, some didn't, that they too had a master. Nobody worried as most didn't lock their doors anyway. I guess that has changed. Easier to have a keypad and tell everybody the number than to give out extra keys.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #5
John Mercier

To have locks mater keyed... we have to special order them.
Most want off the shelf... much less expensive.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I'm seeing more and more keypads, especially in short term rentals where it is desirable to change the code every week, but have constant code for the realtor and the cleaning/maintenance folks. Keypad locks controlled from your phone is the future. Probably better margin for the retailer, too.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:40 PM   #7
John Mercier

Same margins.
I get a few requests each year. Most of them are not rentals.
Mostly people that need to monitor and control access to their home from a remote location.

It is usually a purchased by homeowners that also purchase window sensors and sometimes active awning/skylight units.

That ways they can check their phone to see if they left the door unlocked and lock it, or if they left the windows unlocked or open (squirrels, chipmunks, and other pests can be a problem), and active awnings/skylights can be remotely, or even active ambient management controlled.

They usually also have other smart home features that they have added or are in the process of adding.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:33 AM   #8
ApS

Red face DIY Doorlocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Owning three properties, I have each property "keyed-alike". Schlage makes an excellent lock, and I key them myself.

With the correct key inserted, they disassemble easily, but the center needs a 1/2" o.d. "follower" as the key is withdrawn. A short section of ½" copper (or CPVC) pipe will work. Only because it's handy, I use a cartridge case of .243 Winchester caliber. (Whitetail).

The tumblers can be removed and re-inserted to fit your selected "master key". You can "mix-and-match" loose tumblers from the other locks. One shortcut is to grind the exposed tumblers to a smooth fit, but I don't recommend this shortcut in corrosive/salty environments.

A second shortcut is to remove the shorter tumblers completely--but no more than two. Nobody would know of these modifications unless you'd told them.

Now that I've reviewed these fixes from long ago, a default to an especially-focused Grandchild might be in order!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:27 PM   #9
John Mercier

We have the tools and pin sets to key alike.
Keyed alike is different than a Master.
A Master works on locks where the keys are different.

So I have to request that from the vendor...
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
TheProfessor (12-24-2023)