Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2024, 09:53 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default Family Mystery - Appeal to Winnipesaukee Long-Timers

While sorting through my Dad's slides recently we ran across these three circa 1980 photos taken on Lake Winnipesaukee when I was 18 years old. The folks in the photo are me, my sister, brother and Mom (our Dad would have been taking the photos). I've recounted my memory of this trip several times over the years to my brother and sister but they couldn't recall it nor could I remember many details. It was a pleasant surprise to run across these pics.

I vaguely recall my Dad taking us to Winni to check out this cottage on an island - as a potential place to rent during the summer (we often rented on various lakes over the years we were growing up). We never did rent on Winni but remembered the visit there and always wondered why Dad chose not to rent this place. Unfortunately, I never asked him or Mom before they passed. I'm not positive the cottage was on an island but in my head, I've remembered it that way.

I'm wondering if any Forum members would recognize where this cottage was/is. One callout is the rock (lower left corner of the cottage photo) with the word 'Kenandesh' painted on it. I've Googled that but haven't come up with anything. I'm wondering if anyone recognizes/remembers it (last name of the owners perhaps...or their name for the camp???). And the view to the water...I'm hoping someone will recognize precisely where that is...perhaps by identifying the island or is it possible anyone would remember the unusual painted canoe. Finally, knowing where the Mount was when this photo was taken might help identify the general vicinity where my family spent that day 44 years ago.

The irony of all this is that my wife and I now spend our summers on Winni and would absolutely love to motor past this cottage, if it still exists. Even if it doesn't, the ability to see the site and the emotions it would bring back would be amazing.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote