Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Joanna16

Default One or the other

Why is it when some people go boating and bring guests (family, friends etc) they can't do one or the other? What I mean by this is why can't one person unload the boat off the trailer and park it while someone else drives the boat.

10 years ago my boyfriend said to me you can learn one or the other. So he taught me how to trailer the boat (along with some other trailers we own). Now when we get to the ramp he starts backing it down to a spot where he can jump on and start the boat. I then un-hook him and finish backing him in. After he is away from the ramp I pull the truck away and park it. He will then nose up to the dock nearby to pick me up.

This practice says time and energy at the ramp - leaving it open for all those other people who can't do one or the other.

This is just an idea for those of you who trailer.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Captain Zipper

Joanna, you tell your boyfriend it's been 10 years and the party is over. It's time for a change. You're tired of being the "trailer gopher".

Kind of funny you saying you park the car. I know a few guys that get the car because their wive's can't back up the trailer BUT their wive's can line up and load the boat on the trailer better than they can.

I always want my crew to be able to drive the boat; what if I become incapacitated?
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
arthurc

Default One or the other

Right On Joanna
When we trailered our boat, my wife jumped in the boat, I unloaded it into the water. She cruised while I parked the trailer. Coming in, I jumped off the boat and got the trailer and she drove it on the trailer. Worked great for us.
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Dave R

My wife has no desire to do either and being forced to learn would just stress her out and make boating something to loathe. I think I'll keep doing both, as efficiently and courteously as possible and hope it's good enough.

I wish more people would just have a little courtesy when prepping to launch or prepping for the ride home. I try very hard to stay out of the way for both endeavors.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
robmac

I'm in the same boat as Dave,my wife has no desire to perfom either task.We prepare everything on the boat before we hit the ramp which saves time and I drop in and tie up then she loads passengers get PFD s on and by then I'm back the boats already running and we go.I have seen folks that take hours to get underway and it must be frustrating,we're lucky because of 2 ramps one public one for the marina never a wait.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
jrc

Loading and unloading, anchoring and docking are a few boating activities that should be easier with two competent people working together. Because of this, these activities are also the ones that caused the most stress and arguements, at least in my family. I've designed around most of these and what's left, I do these solo, as if she's not there. I have to work a little harder, but it keeps everyone happy.

I don't trailer anymore so the first two are gone. My current boat has a windlass and a lot of chain, so anchoring is much less stressfull. Docking is still docking but I practice.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
jceria

Default Discourteous People

I live in Mass. on the Concord River. I live 6 houses away from a marina with a ramp. I can launch the boat, tie it up, drive the trailer home and walk back and get the boat back home via river, all in 15 minutes. I went to launch my boat a few weeks ago, I get to the ramp, there's an SUV with an empty trailer on the ramp with the trailer in the water, totally blocking the ramp and no one around.
It was one of my neighbors! He launched his boat, drove it home and then came back to get his SUV and trailer sometime later.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
GTO

Default good news though.....

Quote:
I always want my crew to be able to drive the boat; what if I become incapacitated?
look on the bright side, if that ever happened to you, at least you'll have a handicap parking space over in Wolfboro at the town docks
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Kamper

I plan around the indivual. I have some guests who cant drive a stick-shift and/or pull a trailer. I have others who are nervous about operating the boat. some useless with both and some are experts. Either way, as long as someone can hold the leash I figuren they are contributing.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
jceria

Default Not my crew!

I'd prefer my guests just be guests and not help. The biggest help most of the time is simply staying put. I AM the Captain and I'll give the orders!

Get in! Sit down! Shut up! Hold On! (Don't be a pain in the boat!)
Old 08-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

Default While we are at it

Another point of etiquette is to please prep your boat before or after you are on the ramp. You can take your cover off while someone else is launching their boat.

We usually launch from the Alton town ramp. I don't have a huge boat but just can't understand why they have parking places in front of the ramp. Murphy's law that someone will park in these spots when 20 other spots are open. Backing a boat without any room for adjustment is more challenging than it needs to be.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Oh how I hate to brag....but I think I may hold the world record for least time at the launch ramp.I had two friends with that are both savvy boaters and the launch was fairly busy....(4 boats waiting) I unhooked the safety chain and ties and just backed straight down and hit the brakes while my buddies each held a line. keep in mind that my boat weighs about 8k with a full tank.This may sound a little reckless but it was really not since it was not a steep ramp and there were no boats parked close by.Also my friends know how to take a 1/2 hitch on the line to control the boat as it slides off the trailer.Total time on the ramp was about 25 seconds.Please....no applause !
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
AC2717

Talking Think I have the best time

Call the marina in Feb have my boat ready to go right at ice out come to the marina the boat is in the water waiting for me and i take it to the mooring:
time on ramp: 0 seconds

just havin fun, that does sound crazy and recklass but it is somethign I would try, we used to take my cousin's bass boat to the ramp for the lake, not that one the christmas island one, teather it to the top of the wench pole, take off all the lines and then just back in and let it fully float away then just pull out of the ramp grab the rope and tie it to the dock, maybe a couple of minutes just so we are not splashin around
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
SAMIAM

AC...I hear ya' ,buddy. Livin' on the edge
Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
Misty Blue

Default It's a guy thing...

Yea, backing a trailer with a three ton Sea Ray down the ramp and placing it right on the money is a guy thing. It go's something like this:
"Nice job on the ramp buddy"
"Dude, no big deal"

In truth, my better half, Deb's Joy, usually does the truck stuff while I do the wet stuff. And don't think that she doesn't get a kick out of sliding that beast into the drink like a glove on a hand while backing the F-250 Diesel down the ramp with all of the "guys" watching!

For those who know me, yes I'm 5'3'' and 127#s, I drive a F-250 Diesel and I am compensating. Deal with it!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Misty........nothing is more cool than a lady showing up the guys on a boat ramp. We bow.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #17
robmac

I agree,you go girl
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #18
Irrigation Guy

Misty Blue you crack me up!!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
Joanna16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
Yea, backing a trailer with a three ton Sea Ray down the ramp and placing it right on the money is a guy thing. It go's something like this:
"Nice job on the ramp buddy"
"Dude, no big deal"

In truth, my better half, Deb's Joy, usually does the truck stuff while I do the wet stuff. And don't think that she doesn't get a kick out of sliding that beast into the drink like a glove on a hand while backing the F-250 Diesel down the ramp with all of the "guys" watching!

For those who know me, yes I'm 5'3'' and 127#s, I drive a F-250 Diesel and I am compensating. Deal with it!

Misty Blue.
he drives the 24 Foot Baja while I am in the F250 Deisel - they love us in center Harbor!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
I wish more people would just have a little courtesy when prepping to launch or prepping for the ride home. I try very hard to stay out of the way for both endeavors.
Right on Dave with one caveat.I know some people launch alone so you have no choice,but with two people,even if the other person does not want to put the car and trailer away,one could at least drive away from the ramp to free it up.That is one of my pet peeves.Anyone can drive forward with a trailer.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default trailer launching

I normally have not had much problem launching the boat. But this year at the Alton's ramp I had one heck of a error. and it was my fault. In preping the boat I removed the safety chain, and had to remove the front strap to do so. I forgot to put the strap back on....half way down the ramp, my son was driving the truck, I was in the boat. He had to realign the boat. It moved just a little, but no problem he started backing down and stopped about 6' short of the water. The boat did not stop. I was at that point triming up the outboard. Saved. I guess the boat weights about 4k but sure seemed heavier than that trying to retrailer it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote