Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
Joanna16

Default Sourpuss

Since we talk about everything and nothing I wanted to bring up the "Sourpuss". We are all very observant people so I ask you "What's with the Sourpuss"?

Definition: The teenage girl out with her family on an amazing day with the nastiest expression on her face.

I am sorry did your cell phone not work this morning so you could call your friends and complain about how you HAD to go boating/to dinner/to the races/shopping/the spa with your family today. Would you rather be at home? B/c when I was a kid that was the alternative to whatever the family was doing. Sitting in the house or getting off my backside and getting a summer job.

I know this is a bit of a rant but I have seen so many "Sourpusses" this summer that it really starting to irk me.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
twoplustwo

Thumbs up I hear you

'The princesses' (as SAMIAM refers to them) are everywhere. At least you don't have to work with them. The entitled ones who's parents make them get a summer job to 'build character' always crack me up. How much character are you building in your kid when they drive to work in a $70k vehicle? I'd like them all to drive around in purple Gremlins for the summer. That would teach them.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Dave R

Sounds like a cruise commercial with Iggy Pop playing in the background....

I'm thankful my 13 year old daughter has not reached that stage yet. I've spent 13 years trying to get in a lot of fun before that happens and hoping "then" never comes. That said, we encourage our kids to bring friends along and rarely deny them the opportunity to have friends over or on the boat.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Sounds like a cruise commercial with Iggy Pop playing in the background....

I'm thankful my 13 year old daughter has not reached that stage yet. I've spent 13 years trying to get in a lot of fun before that happens and hoping "then" never comes. That said, we encourage our kids to bring friends along and rarely deny them the opportunity to have friends over or on the boat.
Pretty much what I've learned too Dave. Mine just turned 13, and it's sooooo much easier when a friend is there as well.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
gravy boat

Default Sourpuss

I love this thread -- it is VERY timely! We are on vacation this week and my 15 year old step-daughter has shown her sourpuss characteristics. She had a friend up for the Fourth weekend -- most of the time was spent sitting on the boat, texting their friends. The sourpuss first came out when we told them to stop texting and DO something. Once the phones were turned off we noticed an immediate change -- they actually went swimming...on the paddle boat....fishing...and more.

We now have two of her friends coming up this evening until Friday. We welcome her friends, as well as her sisters' friends. However, the law has been layed down -- texting will be limited to 1 hour in the morning and 1 at night. Cell phones will not be accessible at any other time for the remainder of vacation -- unless they go somewhere without us (movies, walk to the country store, etc.). Sourpuss frowned...and then promptly texted her friends the news.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

I encountered one of those "princesses" the other day in Wolfeboro, as I stopped my van for a large group/family to cross in a crosswalk and had Princess at the end of the group flipping me "the bird"... (Let's see... she's walking and I'm in a van - hello-oo!) I had the kids in the van and my oldest said, "Is she waving?" (Uh, sorta...)

To my great pleasure, I ran into Princess and her family in a book store.
(She was welcome to have all the attitude she wanted - but no obscenities in front of my kids - that's when I become mamma bear!)

We encountered another very rude gal when we were camping - she had a HUGE problem with my dog splashing her. I apologized profusely - but it was like apologizing for a sneeze. It's not something you can stop. Dogs shake off water; plain and simple. She cussed us out for it even tho she was in the water, too. Go figure. I hate to think how gals like that handle a real "crisis".

What is there to be upset about? School is out... the weather is warm and sunny... cookouts abound.... Personally, I would be tickled pink to go boating, out to dinner, etc. - I'm tickled pink just to swim in the pool and watch the kids play in the sun.

Life is short - enjoy!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
donnamatrix

Default Some things never change!

What are the lyrics in the song from "Bye, Bye Birdie" ... ? KIDS TODAY! Well, some things never change: like Mom's saying to youngsters "If I have to count to three..." (heard that last week at Hannaford). I think girls are far worse than boys in the teen years. It's funny how you, as parents, become so stupid and lame when kids reach their teens. Then, when the kids get to about 26, you are acceptable again, and not so dumb. The scowling, attitude behavior is such a pain... "you're the worst Mom in the world. Now take me to the Mall." Good grief.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
What are the lyrics in the song from "Bye, Bye Birdie" ... ? KIDS TODAY! Well, some things never change: like Mom's saying to youngsters "If I have to count to three..." (heard that last week at Hannaford). I think girls are far worse than boys in the teen years. It's funny how you, as parents, become so stupid and lame when kids reach their teens. Then, when the kids get to about 26, you are acceptable again, and not so dumb. The scowling, attitude behavior is such a pain... "you're the worst Mom in the world. Now take me to the Mall." Good grief.
Oh reading this thread is making me laugh. I too have my very own "sourpuss" but this weekend she was a pure joy! We brought her and her BFF (best friend forever) up for the day on Sunday. They swam, laughed, jumped off the raft, took pictures, were well mannered at dinner at The Camp and were generally a joy to be around. I guess God does that every now and again so us parents will remember the good parts of our kiddos as they grow into adulthood. Who knew it was going to be this hard??
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
I think girls are far worse than boys in the teen years.
The big difference is defiance in my experience. Teen girls want to irritate their parents. Teen boys (at least this is how my friends and I were, anyway) are probably not well-behaved, but do not want to get caught. It's more fun to be bad but thought of as good...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
dpg

We told my 18 year old we were thinking about a cruise over christmas break and what he thought, yeah know, if he wanted to go. He thought about it a second and said he'd have to get back to us! To old to want to go and to young to leave alone.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
We told my 18 year old we were thinking about a cruise over christmas break and what he thought, yeah know, if he wanted to go. He thought about it a second and said he'd have to get back to us! To old to want to go and to young to leave alone.
If a "legal adult" is too young to leave alone there is a serious problem here!
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Guess you didn't see the movie "Risky Business" or thought it abit too unreal to be realistic - don't kid yourself, dpg is being very realistically cautious.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Apparently, you have never had an 18 year old. I'd trust my 15 year old home alone more than I would my 20 year old.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
John A. Birdsall

Default phones/game-boys,etc

My grandchildren whether at camp or at home are on the phone, computer, tv, or gameboys way way too much. Sometimes it is tough to have a conversation with them because of these toys. But also see one of there mothers it seems always on the phone so they probably think its ok. Get out of the house, play, do something outside. Go jump in the Lake, Have fun be a kid. Do the dishes, rake the beach, mow the lawn, get out of the camp.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
Newbiesaukee

Default As a medical professional...

I can state unequivocally that the facial musculature (the so-call sourpuss) is responding to a female hormone (PITAerone) that is secreted at menarche. This renders the young adolescent female incapable of expressing pleasure in the presence of anyone over the age of 23. There is a genetic component so the muscular distortion is most evident to the closest adult relative of either sex. The addition of another adolescent female will sometimes mitigate the facial reaction. The effect of PITAerone may last for several years but it does weaken about age 19, give or take ( only to return after several years of marriage and children but then it is spouse-directed). There is no treatment (other than time), but ignoring it sometimes produces results...directly confronting the situation has as much success as "turning back the sea." Reason plays no role in dealing with the young adolescent female.

Despite my deep medical background and experience, I have been reluctant to express medical views on the Forum...but I cannot remain silent when my fellow Forum members are confronted by the...SOURPUSS.

Now as far as the male adolescent.....

Please note, I will not respond to PM on the subject and the FDA ( when it is not dissing salsa) requires me to state that my comments have not been approved by the FDA...which actually increases my credibility.

I am not signing my real name for obvious reasons as I am not licensed in NH.

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 07-08-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling and being a PITA
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Great Thread !

This subject is like a time machine. I remember the "sourpuss'.

Just this week however, we had all the kids back here in NH. We celebrated the birthday of our twins.. (29) and the older son (30) and his new wife were here.

Amazing, "sourpuss" seems to go away with age... and us parents seem to get soo much smarter!

"Youth is wasted on the young" George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
Heaven

Default favorite kid (parent) quote this year

"We bought this store so that the (our) kids could experience retail . . . . . . "
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
"We bought this store so that the (our) kids could experience retail . . . . . . "
Are you serious?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Apparently, you have never had an 18 year old. I'd trust my 15 year old home alone more than I would my 20 year old.

Exactly...same here...Trouble seems to follow the boys. He doesn't have any trouble finding IT either.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #20
rander7823

Default FDA Black Box Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I believe the FDA has put a "Black Box" Warning on money as a prescription remedy for the "Sourpuss".
The FDA issued a statement indicating that money creates only short term relief from the sourpuss. In actuality is creates a cascading side effect that starts with a cellphone and ends with new BMW for college graduation. Can also extend into a very expensive wedding in rare cases.
The FDA says that while withholding money as a treatment for the sourpuss may cause stomping, eye rolling and speaking in tongues in the short term it will eventually lead greater fiscal responsibility and a hug in the long term.
It will also leave you with enough money to spoil her kids in the future
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

In fairness to "some" 18 year old boys. On their own, they are fairly harmless. When the friends and friends of friends find out your house is empty and an 18 year old is the only line of defense, that's when things can get really stupid.

The 14 year olds benefit form 14 year old friends who don't drive yet.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote