Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Airwaves

I just read that Laconia Municipal Airport is getting a $1.9 million grant to expand aircraft parking and replace some hazard beacons.

The last time I was on their website I didn't see any regularly scheduled service in or out of Laconia.

Who owns/uses those jets that are on the apron and that necessitated the expansion of the runway?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Captain Zipper

Default Your Neighbors :-)

I'd say your neighbors or future ones in the McMansions are a big part of it. Quite a few corporate jets are larger than the runway can handle.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Mr. V

I recall that commercial service was available to the airport not all that long ago.

When and why was it discontinued, and might it return?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Airwaves

Not to nit pik since I'm not a taxpayer in Laconia, but if there is no public carrier flying into and out of Laconia Municipal Airport, why are taxpayers funding what could resonably be called an airport for private aircraft/jets?

Is it that lucrative for the city?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Newbiesaukee

Default No regularly scheduled passenger flights.

An article in the paper recently indicated that regardless of the need or desire of travelers, there will be no scheduled air traffic. The cost of upgrading the airport facilities required after 9/11 for regularly scheduled commercial traffic is prohibitive.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
lakershaker

Default Fees

The airport collects fees each time a plane takes off and lands, and I would think charges a parking fee for when a plane stays for a period of time. If they expand the capacity of the airport, then they can collect more fees over time. So a $1.9 million upgrade may be worth it in the longrun if bigger planes mean more money... Seems like a good investment in an area that sees more and more private jet traffic.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
jrc

Acoording to my pilot buddies, the federal portion of airport money is funded by a tax on airline tickets and aviation fuel. The local portion may be funded by landing fees. The airlines are a little miffed at this because the tax on airline tickets often goes to upgrade airports without passenger service.

I spend every weekend at the end of the runway and I can tell you that Nascar weekends seem to draw the most and biggest private jets.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
The Worm

And don't forget the Presidents of foreign countries, I hear Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is in the neighborhood, maybe he'd like to spend a few days on the pond for a little R&R.
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker
The airport collects fees each time a plane takes off and lands, and I would think charges a parking fee for when a plane stays for a period of time. If they expand the capacity of the airport, then they can collect more fees over time. So a $1.9 million upgrade may be worth it in the longrun if bigger planes mean more money... Seems like a good investment in an area that sees more and more private jet traffic.
I didn't think Laconia had landing fees. I've flown out of there many times and the instructor always talked about how other airports have fees but never said anything about Laconia.... as we did one 'touch-n-go' after another....

I thought I read somewhere (recent Citizen article, maybe?) that Laconia Airport's income is from the sale of fuel, tie-downs, and aircraft maintenance.

At the airport they did say they were expanding their welcome mat for Nascar crews and Meadowbrook performers.

They also seem to be doing more as a training ground. Emerson's has expanded their flight school in the last couple years and now has a lot more toys than it did 5 years ago.

As for how Laconia scored such funding, it's all politics and lobbying. A couple weeks ago MSNBC ran a story about the FAA being a total financial disaster and no one can ever agree on how to fix the big airports (or the air traffic control system nationwide) so they don't end up getting any money at all. The story said it's the main reason your flights are late and getting later every year. If I could find it again I'd include a link.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
GWC...

Some rainy day reading...

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0102/108230171

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees...pw106-69_1.HTM
Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
Joanna16

My opinion as a flyer . . . we own a small aircraft and fly all over the east coast I have 2 observations:

1.) 1.9 million is nothing. It really gets you some dirt moved, new pavement and some fencing. All which are badly needed - remember Laconia was once a 2 runway airport. Also keep in mind, I have been at airports that have recieved more, and man are they nice!

2.) This is necessary if we want people to come to the region and business to thrive. Most small airports north of Boston are pretty dumpy. Once you leave New England a majority of small airports are as nicer if not nicer than Laconia. And they are thriving with businesses: FBOs (fixed base operations: plane repair companies, flying schools etc), resturants, car services, fueling operations etc...

Some Stats for you:
Flying is BIG business and not just for the uber rich who fly in in jets -
Of the approx. 42.6 Million hours flown annually 48% of the flying is done by general aviation craft 52% by commerical flights.
NH has 25 public airports (private grass fields excluded) while states like Michigan have 213, Texas 387 and Alaska 414.
There are over 600,000 people in the US that are pilots only about 20% of them fly professionally.

In case you want to read more:
http://www.aopa.org/special/newsroom...tatistics.html
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Default perspective

To put the amount of airports in perspective as relates to Joanne16's post:

NH has 25 with a population of 1.3 million or 19.2 per mil
Michigan has 213 with a population of 10 million or 21.3 per mil
Texas has 387 with a population of 23 million or 16.8 per mil
Alaska really can't be compared because there are few roads and most travel is by plane except for local.
Sounds about right.