Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Piston

Default Garmin GLO - External GPS antennae for IPAD with GloNASS

I recently received a new iPad as a gift from my company. I'm thinking of adding the Bizer app and using my iPad as a chartplotter. I know this has been done before, but I'm curious if anyone has used it with the Garmin GLO gps antennae?

It's an external (wireless) antennae that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. It has a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 12 hrs, or you can plug it in using a cigarette lighter adapter (or hardwire).

I have read reviews online about other Bluetooth enabled GPS antennae's for the iPad, but haven't seen too many people actually using the GLO. Does anyone have any experience using one?

The two main reasons I'm extremely interested in this model, is for one, it is able to use GLONASS satallites for better accuracy and reliability in addition to regular U.S. satallites. The second thing I like about it is that it's made by Garmin, and I've always had good luck using their GPS' and equipment.

Thanks for any info!

Link to Garmin site if interested:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=109827
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Garmin GLO - External GPA ...

I am sorry, really I am, but I can't help myself: What did "Piston" just say?
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
NoBozo

Default Just A Thought

I'd be afraid of having the iPad slide off my lap and land on the floor. One hand for the steering wheel, one for the throttle, and one for the iPad. Boats aren't as stable a platform as a car. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Bear Island South

Default Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'd be afraid of having the iPad slide off my lap and land on the floor. One hand for the steering wheel, one for the throttle, and one for the iPad. Boats aren't as stable a platform as a car. NB
They make mounts to go hands free, I have seen one you can place in a cup holder and another that suctions to glass.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
diz

Default Ram Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
These guys make great mounts. They're modular so you can pick the mount and then a bracket or suction cup for attaching it.

Ram Mounts
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
NoBozo

OK: Not being an iPad owner I wasn't aware of the mounting options. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Piston

Yes, as mentioned, there are many mounts available for iPads, even marine specific ones with fully waterproof cases. There are apps for iPads and iPhones that are meant specifically for navigation. Companies like Navionics, Garmin, and others make mapping/charting software that cover the globe, and along with the very good processing of an iPad, are very good, reliable chartplotters. Ipads are used in many boats and megayachts, even some ships have them as backup and redundancy.

For those that aren't aware, even Bizer has a dedicated app for navigation using an iPad.

The 3G/4G models have integrated GPS however, being somewhat marine savy and experienced myself, I am naturally apprehensive about trusting my position to the inferior GPS receiver built in to the iPad. This is why I'm interested in an external GPS antennae, and especially interested in one with GLONASS capabilities.

I believe this may be a relatively new antennae so maybe not too many people own them yet, I suppose I might be one of the first. I'm hoping one of you have tried this out and have an opinion on it.

Basically, GLONASS just refers to the Russian GPS satellite's that we now have access to, so in essence, it gives us the ability to use an additional 24 satellites for GPS navigation. It's more reliable and more accurate.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
gslpro

Default Garmin quality

Hey Piston. I am guessing that you should have some damn good accuracy of capture on that receiver. My old garmin Zumo could figure out which way I was facing while sitting down inside of my house. If I rotated in my chair, it did as well. That was high-sensitivity 5+ yrs. ago. What they have now should give even more of an accurate fix. I was thinking about running an external ant. for my new ipad as well, but I have a dedicated gps with bizer chart on board already, I decided to use this more as a moving handheld bizer chart, and loaded it with the brad goodman Lake Winni application. Until I get on the water, I can't say how much I would trust the receiver in the ipad, but I am sure it will be fairly accurate. That being said, any chartplotter in my mind should still be only a reference of where your eyes should see something, though playing the devil's advocate on the use of gps, it is also something to go by when that buoy simply isn't there, or where it is supposed to be.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
DanP

Default Lake Winni App is a No Brainer

I've used the Lake Winni app (which has the Bizer chart) for two seasons with my iPad 2 that has built in GPS (it is the 3G version) and its great. Search for some of my previous posts.

Unless you have the wifi only iPad, I think the external GLO is overkill. I've never had an issue with satellite reception and from what I can tell I get great accuracy. My old Garmin handheld would show the satellites connected and the accuracy but the charting was inferior.

If you have an iPhone you have a built-in backup as well. You buy the app once and use it on all your devices.

My iPad has a leather like case which I just prop up on my dashboard and it works OK. I really want to get this mount...

http://www.seasucker.com/shop/seasuc...bracket-mount/
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Billy Bob

Default i pad

I have been using the i pad on my fishing boat here in Florida for some time.
It has a selection of several charts you can use all very good .
The boat is an open fisherman ( wet ) but with a plastic case no problem.

The big issue is the i pad isen't great out in the sun . at times it's just imposable to see , add a pair of polaroid glasses and it becomes a blank screen . As a result it's hard to use when the boat is moving .
If you are going to use it under a sun shade etc thats one thing but out in the sun you need a different option.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
Piston

Well, regarding the external antennae vs. internal, I'm actually not sure if I'll have the wifi only version or not. I haven't actually received the iPad yet but all I need to do is pick it up.

That's a really good point about the sun and the screen being unreadable in direct light. I will mostly have my bimini up for shade for the baby, although I DO prefer it down

I figure it's worth a shot for the very minimal investment it would be. I think the app is only $35 or $40 and then the $100 for the antennae.

That seasucker mount looks really nice, sounds impressive, I'll look into that more as well.

As a side note, I also have a Garmin Oregon handheld with the Bizer charts loaded onto it, which is what I've always used in the past, and although it does work really well, it is a very small screen and better for hiking/motorcycling than it is for boating. I certainly don't NEED the iPad, more of a cheap toy than anything

Gslpro,
It's a good point about not completely relying on the GPS. I would never 100% trust any single system for nav.