Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
NHWakesurfer

Default How close is too close

I'm new to this but wanted to throw out a question to see if I'm over reacting while pulling skiers, wakeboards etc... I've been boating for a long time on smaller lakes but the last several years on Winni since we bought a place here. Which we love. But I've never seen such lake of commonsense as I have this year.

Here is the question it seems like this year other boaters get very close while we are pulling a rider. I've had jet ski's and boats following behind us when we have someone skiing (they are more than 150 feet but still closing fast) (if my skier dropped they'd be in the path of them, people tubing in circles around us while sitting still try to get a skier ready to go while in the water (causing huge rocking montion for the boat) . Many many boats pulling a tube zig zagging back and forth and you can't tell which way they are coming at you to the point of having to turn a 180 to get way from them because they are looking backward and not paying attention. I've had boats that even though I see them coming I keep trying to move away and they keep coming closer and closer directly at my skiier (still more than 150 feet but in the same path and I motion to them I have a skier and to move off they wave and keep coming closer to where I have to turn the boat and drop the skier and swing around quickly to put my boat between the oncoming boat and my rider.

I know when I see ski boats on the shore lines trying to catch calm water I stay as far away from them as I can. When I do tube I go out to the wide open areas where it doesn't matter if there is rougher water not to bother the skiiers. When I see a fishing boat still in the water I slow way down and go as far around as I can not to rock them.

I do try to go out early but this stuff still seems to still be happening alot this year so I'm just wondering if I'm being overly critical of what seems to be a huge lack of common sense while boating in and around ski boats.

Thanks I'll stop rambling now
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHWakesurfer For This Useful Post:
paintitredinHC (08-25-2015)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Long Pine

I agree that I have seen a lot of inconsiderate boating behavior this summer. We live in an area of the lake that is frequently used for pulling skiers, wakeboarders, wakesurfers, tubers, etc. I have had similar situations of boaters following in the path of the person I am towing and have also had to swing around quickly to put my boat in the path between an oncoming boat and a skier I had in the water. The boat passed no more than 50 feet away at around 20 mph pulling a tuber.

Anyway, the courtesies I try to extend to others (because I hate when they are not extended to me) are:

1) Never follow in the same path directly behind a boat that is in the process of towing a skier, tuber, etc. Even if you are at a reasonable distance and paying attention, you will make the driver of the boat pulling the skier extremely nervous because he/she will assume you are not.
2) When you are pulling tubers and swerving back and forth, don't send mixed signals to another boater about where you will steer your boat - if there are any boats in the general vicinity, just pick a line and go straight for a while; resume swerving only when you have some wide open space and there are no other boaters nearby who may be confused by your path and have to alter theirs.
3) If you can reasonably spread out on the lake and avoid sending your boat wake at skiers looking for calm water, do it - especially if you are pulling someone at a slower speed where your boat throws off a huge wake.
4) Always be looking forward while driving - let your spotters do their job.
5) While pulling someone or passing another boat that is pulling someone, go out of your way to put as much space between you and the other boat as possible. In addition to the obvious "don't break the 150 ft rule", if you can put more space between you and them, all the better.

There are probably others but those are the ones that come to mind for me.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Long Pine For This Useful Post:
Grey Goose (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Knomad

Lone Pine brings up some excellent suggestions.

Legally, other boaters must stay 150' from a water skier unless they are going no wake speed. The skier and tow boat must stay 150' from other other boats, docks, swim areas, swimmers, shores, etc.
The person being towed needs to follow all the rules of the road.

Other common sense things to do:[LIST]
The operator of the boat needs to focus on where they are going. Don't put the person being towed in a dangerous situation.
Let the observer watch the person being towed.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knomad For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default Goes both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
Lone Pine brings up some excellent suggestions.

Legally, other boaters must stay 150' from a water skier unless they are going no wake speed. The skier and tow boat must stay 150' from other other boats, docks, swim areas, swimmers, shores, etc.
The person being towed needs to follow all the rules of the road.

Other common sense things to do:[LIST]
The operator of the boat needs to focus on where they are going. Don't put the person being towed in a dangerous situation.
Let the observer watch the person being towed.
Double edge sword. Being the other boat we often shake our heads at the tow boat drivers and their ability to have total disregard for the rules because they are towing.
In my opinion many who are towing just by the nature of where they choose to tow are putting themselves in a bad situation.
We watched a Capt. Bonehead last weekend stop at the end of the channel heading into the Weirs bay to let out his tube and occupants all while maybe 300 feet from the end of the channel. His boat had drifted to the right side of the bay, he proceeds to cut completely across traffic and head down towards Meredith.
Another thing we see is during the busiest times boaters pulling tubes and skiers in Paugus Bay.
Pulling anything in a high traffic area is not using common sense to begin with as most knowledgeable boat operators look for the less traveled areas which in turn cuts down on the risk of running into a situation where the tow boat has to give way. Something I almost never see happen on Winni.
The lull in boat traffic seems to have subsided and now a lot of the problems and complaints of years gone buy seem to be returning.
Good luck stay safe out there.
Dave R (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

All great points here. Not everyone skis or pulls skiers, so the courtesies are not universally known. But, there is advice that ski boat drivers should also heed. In many parts of the lake, there are well traveled lanes. This might be around islands or markers, where there is only a narrow path. This is not the best areas to be pulling a skier. Here, the ski boat is just another "boat in traffic" and it should not expect the same courtesies that are extended when in more appropriate areas.

We see this too often in the narrows near us. There will be six boats coming one direction and four in another - and along comes a tuber. Usually, there is no problem, but when the tuber dismounts unexpectedly, it snarls up traffic, along with creating a more anxious situation for the tuber and its ride.
Belmont Resident (08-19-2012), Dave R (08-18-2012), ITD (08-19-2012), jeffk (08-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
RLW

Smile Thanks for the reminder to those that need it

NHWakesurfer, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.
I personally understand your complete thread and I thank you for writing it as it should be a reminder to all that it may concern. It doesn't hurt to put out reminders like yours now and then.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWakesurfer View Post
"...Here is the question it seems like this year other boaters get very close while we are pulling a rider..."
On weekends, we see boats towing tubes off The Broads to our "quieter" and protected shorelines. (So I can't speak to where your difficulties are originating).

Most towing activities take place between 11-AM and 5-PM. Outside of those hours—especially earlier—you'll probably experience the stress-free boating you came here for. But oftentimes, I'll see a skier being dropped-off while the boat's operator is using one hand to shield his eyes from the sun.

Common sense would dictate the opposite "approach".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Dave R

I was towing tubes yesterday with very little boat traffic in my area. I saw a boat towing a slalom skier about 1/2 mile away so I altered course to give the skier the majority of the bay I was in and to keep my wake from him. 30 seconds later, two of my tube riders fell off and I made a 180 while slowing which tends to generate a rather large "knuckle" of confused waves in a fairly small area. I was about 400 feet from one shoreline, and 1/3 mile from the other. There were few boats in general and no other boats within 1/4 mile or more, except the ski boat that was headed for us. The ski boat driver used my boat and the fallen riders like a racing pylon and made a U-turn around us, finishing on the near shore side(between us and the shore 400 feet away). There was a huge amount of space on the other side to do all kinds of skiing. The ski boat ran smack into my wake "knuckle" and got completely airborne (perhaps that was the point???). The skier did really well considering what he was being dragged through and stayed up. I can't imagine what possessed them to do this, but it was very entertaining.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
NHWakesurfer

Thanks for all the feedback and good suggestions for all to follow. I didn't mean to imply that all boats that tow riders etc...don't make poor choices out there. Pulling folks through channels, near other boats and tight places is an obvious one not to do yet I see it all the time as well as others have pointed out. For whats its worth I try to go out from 7am to no later than 11am and try to stay out of the way on shorelines. I'm mostly up in the Moultonborough area from Kona shores, braun bay to both sides of Long Is etc..looking for flat water

Its sweet out there right now. Enjoy the remaining days of summer!!
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Jersey Guy

I think it would be a good idea to require all boats towing skiers or tubers to display a flag that they are doing so as is required in other states. I'm out on the lake often sometimes towing, sometimes not, and its not always obvious given the varied conditions, weather, traffic, sun, location, if a boat is towing or not, or if a skier is down. The flag would make it obvious and those approaching can take the appropriate action. Just my 2 cents!
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
NHwakeboarder

Default A couple more things

Hey everyone, I've been aching to contribute to this thread for a while but it took a while for my account to be activated. Many of the people here have brought up some good points and I'd like to add a couple more driving pointers that people might not think about when they're around people towing a skiier, barefooter, wakeboarder, wake skater etc... I understand everyone is entitled to enjoy there time on the water, so during busy periods of the day AKA not early in the morning and not close to sunset, these pointers don't really apply. However, as mentioned previously in this thread, many skiiers and wakeboarders love flat water. I've heard a lot of people who aren't familiar with wakeboarding especially say "isn't riding in rough water better because you can jump off the waves?" It isn't. Cutting across a wake at high speeds when skiing or jumping off a large wake is easiest when the water is flat. That being said this link explains some things casual boaters might not think about.

Also, the video is supposed to be lighthearted so please don't take it the wrong way.

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...powerturn.html

If you're towing a tuber or boating casually or even skiing or riding near another person when there aren't a ton of people around and it's clear they're trying to access the flattest water possible, keep the info in the previous link in mind.
NHwakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHwakeboarder For This Useful Post:
paintitredinHC (08-25-2015)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
19MileBaylover

it's been interestging reading the statements in this line. Sitting on a bay that is great for skiing, etc., I always marvel at the mindset of both boaters pulling skiers or tubers or boarders, etc., and those just passing by, in such a small area. I just wanted to put a plug in for those in these small areas who have their own docks yanked by the wakes produced (especially by tubers and boarders) and the damage to the shoreline. While I love to waterski in the bay, it's gotten too crazy and unsafe, and the shoreline damage continues to pile up. It's reached the point where I'd support a no-wake zone for such small areas.
19MileBaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Langdon Cove Guy

Default Really?

This is all the more reason why following simple and effective (not to mention safer) driving techniques are a very good thing: minimizing impact on the lake for other boaters on the water and shorefront people alike. They're good recommendations for reducing wake impact across the board.

Is 19 Mile the area which might fit within the "small section" definition being referenced here? Fairly certain the majority of the lake would need a "no wake" designation this standard were applied across the board to the entire lake.

I frequent that side of the lake top to bottom, and 19 Mile is by no means a watersports enthusiast's idea of a prime location. It is often very rough and the weather easily gets the best of it anyways (anything but an absolute N-wind), not to mention the level of boat-generated wakes and traffic are very high simply from those going to/from the graveyard traveling perpendicular to the bay, or in/out of the public docks & launch. The entire area will still be subject to a set of rollers from every boat which drives by, day in and day out.

That is just going to hold true for all hi-traffic areas. I know that it is the north side and therefore "low traffic" compared to the rest of the lake, but relatively speaking it will get any/all boats coming and going to the main part of the lake, so still fairly hi-volume.

Just my $0.02.
Langdon Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #14
Belmont Resident

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MileBaylover View Post
it's been interestging reading the statements in this line. Sitting on a bay that is great for skiing, etc., I always marvel at the mindset of both boaters pulling skiers or tubers or boarders, etc., and those just passing by, in such a small area. I just wanted to put a plug in for those in these small areas who have their own docks yanked by the wakes produced (especially by tubers and boarders) and the damage to the shoreline. While I love to waterski in the bay, it's gotten too crazy and unsafe, and the shoreline damage continues to pile up. It's reached the point where I'd support a no-wake zone for such small areas.
It is funny how some who own lakefront want to tailor the laws and rules to fit them. The lake is a play area for ALL to enjoy. There are houses out there facing the broads that see weather a lot worse then a towboat will ever throw at 19 mile bay. My advise would be that any docks torn off by boat traffic probably needed repair anyways and it had nothing to do with boat traffic.
Shore line erosion is just a byproduct of living on a lake that draws the amount of tourists that Winni does and there is absolutely nothing that can be done to curb the erosion. Thankfully it takes a lot to get NWZ placed on the lake or all but the broads would be headway speed.
NHwakeboarder (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
ApS

Default ...or six or eleven tubers...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
"...The ski boat driver used my boat and the fallen riders like a racing pylon and made a U-turn around us...The ski boat ran smack into my wake "knuckle" and got completely airborne (perhaps that was the point???). The skier did really well considering what he was being dragged through and stayed up. I can't imagine what possessed them to do this, but it was very entertaining..."
So what are your present-day thoughts on towing multiple tubes?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
So what are your present-day thoughts on towing multiple tubes?
I think it's still great fun.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote