Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2023, 01:39 PM   #1
chocophile

Default Builder Needed for Out Building in Tuftonboro

I have a designed and permitted out building (small workshop and one-bay boat space) and I'm trying to get a builder to build it. I don't have an urgent timetable, but want it done by next summer. Located in Tuftonboro. It's probably 2 weeks of work for 2 people.

I've had trouble getting my contacts returned, or getting quotes. I'm willing to pay a fair price for a good job.

Any referrals to someone who would do the job? Thanks in advance.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
MeredithMan

Default It's not easy...

I am looking to have my entire deck replaced. It's a sizeable job and it has been horrible getting quotes. People come out and look and set the expectation that a quote will be forthcoming in a "week or two" and I never hear from them. One contractor told me he couldn't even touch it for 15 months from now, so he didn't even come out.

Two folks that have provided prices and seem reasonable to deal with are Scott Compton Builders and the construction crew of Stephens Landscaping, (yes, they have a legit carpentry/construction crew now). Even though I have quotes, neither of them can touch it till sometime late Spring, 2024.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts
Question

One of my neighbors in Meredith is having a new home built. He hired the builder over a year ago. They started about a month ago and said it would be a year to completion. It was raining lightly Friday and no one showed up, nor Saturday or Sunday?
Being from Mass I'm just not use to this. They put new homes up here in less than 6 months. Most crews work at least 6 days a week with some working Sundays also, rain or shine.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Will tell you it was 25 months to complete our recent kitchen/bath remodel. From the first email to returning of the key

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Will tell you it was 25 months to complete our recent kitchen/bath remodel. From the first email to returning of the key

For just a kitchen/bath remodel?
I know Covid put a damper on materials but they are still building homes in Mass pretty quickly.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2023, 03:59 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Yup. Around the lakes region the good ones are booked two years out. Worth waiting for

Old 08-28-2023, 04:35 PM   #7
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocophile View Post
I have a designed and permitted out building (small workshop and one-bay boat space) and I'm trying to get a builder to build it. I don't have an urgent timetable, but want it done by next summer. Located in Tuftonboro. It's probably 2 weeks of work for 2 people.

I've had trouble getting my contacts returned, or getting quotes. I'm willing to pay a fair price for a good job.

Any referrals to someone who would do the job? Thanks in advance.
Who have you tried so I do not repeat the work you've already put in.
I may have some on our list that you didn't seek out yet.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #8
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I am looking to have my entire deck replaced. It's a sizeable job and it has been horrible getting quotes. People come out and look and set the expectation that a quote will be forthcoming in a "week or two" and I never hear from them. One contractor told me he couldn't even touch it for 15 months from now, so he didn't even come out.

Two folks that have provided prices and seem reasonable to deal with are Scott Compton Builders and the construction crew of Stephens Landscaping, (yes, they have a legit carpentry/construction crew now). Even though I have quotes, neither of them can touch it till sometime late Spring, 2024.
Are you willing to wait, or do you need more names?
Both of them would be a decent choice, and I'm not sure that we could find anyone that would be sooner, but I could supply more names if that timeline doesn't work for you.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:29 PM   #9
Woody38

We did a complete tear down of the kitchen, laundry and powder room prior to covid. Got rid of the fiberboard builder stuff the previous owner had when the house was built. This took one month start to finish and we thought that was a long time. How things change.

I am a retires workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:41 PM   #10
John Mercier

I think most brands of higher end kitchen cabinets are still out about 20 weeks plus shutdowns for holidays.
Really a winter kitchen remodel should be started in June, and on-site will be in the winter.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:38 AM   #11
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Yup. Around the lakes region the good ones are booked two years out. Worth waiting for

This. Very tough and it’s been this way awhile.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:16 AM   #12
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
This. Very tough and it’s been this way awhile.
Yeah, it has.

Ive been trying to get someone to replace a skylight on a low 6 pitch roof for almost a year. Didn't want to do it myself because I'm currently renovating another house and thought it could be an easy one or two day "filler" job for someone. Called five contractors, two showed up to look. Never heard back. Really need to have it done before the winter so I'm starting it myself today.
Very surprised by all this, especially for a relatively small job.

Want to say thanks to John M. for his recommendations. Wish it had worked out better, though.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:16 AM   #13
John Mercier

Its actually very tough on that side of the lake.

They are all going after some very high end jobs that take months to complete.

I remember around 2016/17 when a lot of these younger contractors just entered the field. Well trained from the local high school programs that we had, but developing more skill in the field working on the older structures that could have various building techniques and components through the eras. Now they are all crewed up and doing large new builds and renovations.

In Bristol, I still have more options on handypersons that do small jobs, but to travel to the other side of the lake becomes problematic.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:46 PM   #14
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Yeah, it has.

Ive been trying to get someone to replace a skylight on a low 6 pitch roof for almost a year. Didn't want to do it myself because I'm currently renovating another house and thought it could be an easy one or two day "filler" job for someone. Called five contractors, two showed up to look. Never heard back. Really need to have it done before the winter so I'm starting it myself today.
Very surprised by all this, especially for a relatively small job.

Want to say thanks to John M. for his recommendations. Wish it had worked out better, though.
Do you have the skylight? I have an island focused crew that I am helping to get established, but could possibly have them squeeze it in as a filler. Simple time and materials project by the sound of it. They are working on my place now but would be available within the next few weeks at most to do it if you have the skylight.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:32 PM   #15
sky's

the estimating process needs to change. for some contractors or i should say good contractors with 10+ years experience should have a fairly close idea or a "ballpark" of the cost of the job. yes nothing is etched in stone like rot repair for for example. but the contractor has to ask "what is your budget?" from there both parties have to explain yes sir i think we can make that work or sorry i think were off on that budget. estimates take hours and sometimes days to put together its not like selling a tv or a new toaster. its a service we provide along with other sub contractors at times and this stuff takes time. for myself i try to disclose a ballpark up front and also ask the customer to provide a budget. if the customer refuses to disclose a budget than we will not proceed with the estimate process. for myself im 55 yrs old 20 years a contractor in the Lakes Region and this process has to change for both parties. Good luck to the gentlemen in Tuftonboro if your still stuck feel free to call me 603-254-4151
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Lesdeak (12-23-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 04:12 PM   #16
WinnisquamZ

Interesting take. Why can’ estimates be completed with a video phone call and photos. Ballpark the job based off assumptions. If those assumptions change the price changes. Must say as a 20 plus year lakefront property owner sometimes contractor estimates are based on “ he owns a lakefront home bump it up”

Old 08-31-2023, 08:44 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

Isn't $150 per square foot (on average) a good figure to go with these days?

I realize some variations due to various situations......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:46 PM   #18
John Mercier

He is making a ballpark on assumptions.
He is upset with a customer that doesn't want to disclose their budget.
It wastes time in our quoting; and for a contractor that is the ''kiss of death''.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:20 AM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post

I think it would be a miracle to build even a small house now for that kind of mon ey.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:09 AM   #20
codeman671

Quote:

Years ago…
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:46 AM   #21
bobkatfly

Default Thanks Codeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Do you have the skylight? I have an island focused crew that I am helping to get established, but could possibly have them squeeze it in as a filler. Simple time and materials project by the sound of it. They are working on my place now but would be available within the next few weeks at most to do it if you have the skylight.
I have the light but already into it and should be done today. Wish we could have talked early on. Thanks for the offer though.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:

You would need to be very careful on your design and product choices.

Studs and sheetrock are relatively cheap... and a bigger home would cost less per square foot based on those. But windows, doors, siding, and other ''finishes'' can really add up.

The higher series has more options, and because of the aluminum cladding can get a 20 year paint warranty. But not every build needs that.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #23
aydinlik

I have been talking to contractors about adding another story to my home. The cheapest price so far is around 350$/square ft. I even got a quote for 700$/square feet. All basic second floor with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. I bought my home 5 years a go. If I pay 350$/sqft for the addition I will be paying more than price I paid for the place.
aydinlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:43 PM   #24
John Mercier

Demo for tearing a roof off is one cost, and the addition needs electrical, plumbing, HVAC... about the only thing not happening is a new kitchen.

Have you thought of trying to re-imagine your space within the same footprint and shell?
Old 09-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #25
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Demo for tearing a roof off is one cost, and the addition needs electrical, plumbing, HVAC... about the only thing not happening is a new kitchen.

Have you thought of trying to re-imagine your space within the same footprint and shell?
Thanks for the great advice. I think we need to do that. May be looking at the basement to see if we can get extra space from there.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #26
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
Thanks for the great advice. I think we need to do that. May be looking at the basement to see if we can get extra space from there.
whenever youre adding a bathroom it ads up fast. basement you'll probably need an ejector pump unless you have the head room to do a step up into the shower for example. good luck
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:08 AM   #27
FlyingScot

Having had finished third floors and also finished basements at different times, we have found finished third floors get much more use--the light and sense of privacy is often much better. OTOH, a finished basement has easier access to outside. So it's a matter of taste and specific need, but I would not describe them as an even trade off
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #28
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Having had finished third floors and also finished basements at different times, we have found finished third floors get much more use--the light and sense of privacy is often much better. OTOH, a finished basement has easier access to outside. So it's a matter of taste and specific need, but I would not describe them as an even trade off
I agree. We also prefer to add the second story. However It doesn't make any financial sense with these prices. Contractors are very busy and material shortages are still a big problem. One contractor told us that it is hard to get hardwood floors these days.

I also see that there are more contractors available for interior work such as finishing the basements. Many companies don't want to do structural work and framing.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #29
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
whenever youre adding a bathroom it ads up fast. basement you'll probably need an ejector pump unless you have the head room to do a step up into the shower for example. good luck
According to contractors the biggest item is structural. Using different material for bathrooms makes some difference but not very significant.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #30
aydinlik

Can anyone recommend some names for me as well for the second story addition project? The project is not urgent so i can wait.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:40 PM   #31
John Mercier

I'm a bit confused. I thought you posted that you have had contractors bid on the second story addition, but didn't like the pricing; so it sounds like you have access to contractors. Why more names?
Old 09-28-2023, 11:02 AM   #32
MorelloConstruction

Default Lakes Region Construction

Hello
My name is Nate Morello. My company is Morello Construction Inc. Specializing in Custom Homes, Additions, Site Excavation, and Septic Systems. We work in the lakes region specifically on shoreline projects and island projects.
If you want to email me some information I would be happy to take a look at your project for you.
morelloconstruction@comcast.net
MorelloConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote