Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
WinnLakeGirl

Default Akwa Marina

Are there any members of Akwa Marina out there? Just wondering what your thoughts are about the place. We are not to thrilled about some of the new rules for next year. We are also not feeling to good about this new restaurant thing happening.
WinnLakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
brk-lnt

Care to elaborate?

I'm not a member, but have considered purchasing a property there, so I'm always interested in the general feedback from people in the know.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
WinnLakeGirl

The list of rules is pretty long, but one of the new rules for next year is that all members will be required to wear a wrist band at all times and if they lose the band they will be charged for a new one. I refuse to have to worry about bringing my wrist band each time I go there or to wear it all the time. I stopped wearing a watch because of the tan line .

Here's another rule: "Use of the Club and facilities is for Tenant and Direct Family Only. Direct Family is defined as: unmarried children up the age of 26 and limited to 3 children." So if you happend to have more than 3 kids be prepared to pay.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
LongBay

Default Sign Sign Everywhere a Sign

Man, I thought we had a lot rules. You guys win hands down. Looks like the Akwa Velva men have too much time on their hands.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
Man, I thought we had a lot rules. You guys win hands down. Looks like the Akwa Velva men have too much time on their hands.
That is the problem with associations, rules, rules, rules and more rules.
Just when you though there were to many rules they make more rules.

Whats next a tattoo with a bar code on everyone's wrist?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnLakeGirl View Post
The list of rules is pretty long, but one of the new rules for next year is that all members will be required to wear a wrist band at all times and if they lose the band they will be charged for a new one. I refuse to have to worry about bringing my wrist band each time I go there or to wear it all the time. I stopped wearing a watch because of the tan line .

Here's another rule: "Use of the Club and facilities is for Tenant and Direct Family Only. Direct Family is defined as: unmarried children up the age of 26 and limited to 3 children." So if you happend to have more than 3 kids be prepared to pay.

Seems like we will have some more refugees at our club. It this an over-reaction to a real problem or just the "we know what's best crowd"? Next thing you know they will limit how big a bottle of Coke you can buy.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
MDoug

Default Akwa Marina

Vote with your checkbook. Find another marina for your hard-earned money.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Do these rules apply to the boating club as well??
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Happy Gourmand

Default Boat club

We're in the boat club and have access to the facilities. We and our family have really enjoyed all that was offered as part of our membership. But then, we never invited 4 or 5 friends and all their kids to join us at the pool. There has been some issues with this and maybe it could have been dealt with on an individual basis.
I think in any type of association like this, there will always be those who have no regard for rules that are generally made for the benefit of all, and do as they please with no consideration of other members.
I am not aware of of rule changes you refer to for the coming year, if you are correct about your comments, then I would say that the management maybe should have considered handling these issues in a more timely manner directly with the members who were inconsiderate.
As for us, we are considering buying a boat again. If that doesn't happen, we will again be happy members of the boat club.
Is it perfect? Hell no, but I feel that the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
WinnLakeGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
Vote with your checkbook. Find another marina for your hard-earned money.
We are considering not returning, any suggestions for other Marina's?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
WinnLakeGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Do these rules apply to the boating club as well??
I am not too familiar with the boating club so I'm not sure if they need to follow the same rules. I've seen some of these people using the grills and bathrooms, but not sure if they use the pool. As members we have to buy the gas for the grills, but I'm not sure if that is a concern for the owners. They might just be concerned about people using their pool. I beleive the list of rules for members and for the boat club are on the akwa website if you want to check them out.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
WinnLakeGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
We're in the boat club and have access to the facilities. We and our family have really enjoyed all that was offered as part of our membership. But then, we never invited 4 or 5 friends and all their kids to join us at the pool. There has been some issues with this and maybe it could have been dealt with on an individual basis.
I think in any type of association like this, there will always be those who have no regard for rules that are generally made for the benefit of all, and do as they please with no consideration of other members.
I am not aware of of rule changes you refer to for the coming year, if you are correct about your comments, then I would say that the management maybe should have considered handling these issues in a more timely manner directly with the members who were inconsiderate.
As for us, we are considering buying a boat again. If that doesn't happen, we will again be happy members of the boat club.
Is it perfect? Hell no, but I feel that the positives far outweigh the negatives.
I think the problem is that the owners don't know who the members are anymore. They have opened up membership to so many and now they are trying to figure out how to control it.
I do agree there are a lot of good things about the marina, but not sure, as a member, if the positives still outweigh the negatives.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
AkwaMarina

Hello All,
The rule has been in place for nearly 5 years. We just changed the wording, and instead of a key chain tag like a gym we are now giving all adults a rubber wrist band (like livestrong bands). The wrist band idea came from our members as a suggestion, to keep the public out of the pool area now that we have the little public grill. I wish winnilakegirl would give me a call, I personally speak to just about every single one of our members, I wish you the best at your next marina. We have a private club and we need a leg to stand on with people who are not members or when we have members bringing guest to the club in access/for an on unauthorized party, and we do allow parties, we just like to know in advance. All of the fees are worded with the word “may” so it is a discretionary thing, for the benefit of the members as a whole. I often use the Gym example, you can bring a friend to a gym every now and then as a guest but if you bring the same friend everyday the gym will want the guest to get there own membership.
We are not an association. The club is constantly growing and improving. We currently have a waiting list for slips, so please let me know asap if you plan to not return. We really try and make everyone enjoy the club, we know summer is short, and everyone has options.
The new little gazebo grill and bar has been 99% positive feed back from our members, we understand change can be difficult. But having the ability to order a fresh sandwich, healthy food for the kids and a tropical drink while sitting by the pool overlooking the lake, sounds like a pretty good situation.
You can follow the progress of the Gazebo on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AkwaMarinaYachtClub it will have a 1904 24' wood sail boat in the middle of it, with the mast and everything.
As always I can be reached on my cell at just about all hours, 603-231-6002
Kurt

Last edited by AkwaMarina; 09-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
colt17 (10-01-2012), NHBUOY (09-26-2012), NoRegrets (09-26-2012), secondcurve (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Phantom

I LOVE this Forum !!!

Although the thread has no bearing on my life --

Ya can't ask for a better more direct response than that !! and posting a cell # to boot !!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkwaMarina View Post
Hello All,
The rule has been in place for nearly 5 years. We just changed the wording, and instead of a key chain tag like a gym we are now giving all adults a rubber wrist band (like livestrong bands). The wrist band idea came from our members as a suggestion, to keep the public out of the pool area now that we have the little public grill. I wish winnilakegirl would give me a call, I personally speak to just about every single one of our members, I wish you the best at your next marina. We have a private club and we need a leg to stand on with people who are not members or when we have members bringing guest to the club in access/for an on unauthorized party, and we do allow parties, we just like to know in advance. All of the fees are worded with the word “may” so it is a discretionary thing, for the benefit of the members as a whole. I often use the Gym example, you can bring a friend to a gym every now and then as a guest but if you bring the same friend everyday the gym will want the guest to get there own membership.
We are not an association. The club is constantly growing and improving. We currently have a waiting list for slips, so please let me know asap if you plan to not return. We really try and make everyone enjoy the club, we know summer is short, and everyone has options.
The new little gazebo grill and bar has been 99% positive feed back from our members, we understand change can be difficult. But having the ability to order a fresh sandwich, healthy food for the kids and a tropical drink while sitting by the pool overlooking the lake, sounds like a pretty good situation.
You can follow the progress of the Gazebo on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AkwaMarinaYachtClub it will have a 1904 24' wood sail boat in the middle of it, with the mast and everything.
As always I can be reached on my cell at just about all hours, 603-231-6002
Kurt
Kurt,

How is the Club run and managed? Is there a elected board of Directors that make the rules? Or is it run more like a business venture, where a single person is making the rules???

I have given thought to joining in the past, but always walked away because it felt more like a business and less like an association or club....

Clubs or Associations should always be run by a governing body comprimised of its memebers....That way when rules are made and or inforced it is the will of memebers vs. the will of a management person, or body.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
jrc

Quote:
We are considering not returning, any suggestions for other Marina's?
There are a few refugees from Akwa at Gilford Yacht Club. No pool though.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
Rich

Quote:
Are there any members of Akwa Marina out there? Just wondering what your thoughts are about the place. We are not to thrilled about some of the new rules for next year. We are also not feeling to good about this new restaurant thing happening.
I was a potential member. We carefully reviewed the Akwa at the begining of this year, thinking it would be a great place. The view of the lake is outstanding from this marina! The pool and other extras are nice (if you like the 'country club' sort of atmosphere). However, standing on the docks was an EYE opener, in that it was hard to even stand on the docks due to the movement of the docks!

IMHO, being exposed to the full expanse of the water in front of the marina created a view that couldn't be beat, but would also beat up a boat tied to the docks (even their website mentions that 'snubbers are required', and wouldn't make for comfortable living if you expect to spend any time on your boat. Perhaps that's why the pool area is an important feature of this marina?

I suppose for someone that would not be sleeping on-board their boat, or not spending much time at all at the dock (get on the boat and head out, and get off the boat as soon as you return to the doc), then this would be a good place.

Did I say that the views of the lake from the marina are great?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
regalguy

Default Rich

I have been at Akwa for a couple of years now. Initially the floating docks and the marina not being in a protecte cove were a concern for me. I have to tell you though that it has been a non issue. Does it get choppy on a sunny and warm Saturday afternoon in July? You bet. But it you have a boat chances are you are out on the lake at that time. It has never been an issue for me and I have not heard of any member who has regreted being there because of that. And the hull of the boat never looks like is has been docked in mud.
regalguy is offline   Reply With Quote