Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
ruffinit

Default Question on Ambrose Cove

I am planning on renting a house and taking my 24' Searay in September to the Ambrose Cove area, is navagating in and out of the area to get to the rest of the lake easy.

How long will it take to get to the main lake? Any information would be great. thanks!

Last edited by ruffinit; 12-26-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Another question Ambrose Cove
ruffinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

The Ambrose Cove area is in one of the rockiest areas of the lake. If you take your time with a good navigation map and get familiar with the area, getting to the main lake is not a problem. Just take your time until you have familiarized yourself with all the nav markers and hazards.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
ruffinit (12-25-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Senter Cove Guy

Default It's A Piece Of Cake

While it's true that there are some rocky areas to absolutely avoid, all you have to do is get a good map and follow it. The path from Ambrose Cove to the Broads, via the Barbers Pole, is not that difficult.
ruffinit (12-25-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Agree with Senter Cove Guy. It is not that bad. One or two slow rides while finding EVERY marker on the map and you will be just fine. It is a bit challenging, but keeps out a lot of the riff-raff and will make you a better navigator.
ruffinit (12-26-2010)
Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
PineLedge

Default No problem

I have lived just outside Ambrose Cove for 40 years. It is very easy to navigate. Quiet end of the lake, no where near the boat traffic as other parts. You will truly enjoy your time there for sure.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
While it's true that there are some rocky areas to absolutely avoid, all you have to do is get a good map and follow it. The path from Ambrose Cove to the Broads, via the Barbers Pole, is not that difficult.
Follow up questions- is it faster to the braods through the barber pole or under the bridge by trexlers and then out?

HCG

BTW from the Greens basin end of the lake
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Follow up questions- is it faster to the broads through the barber pole or under the bridge by trexlers and then out?

HCG

hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Follow up questions- is it faster to the broads through the barber pole or under the bridge by trexlers and then out?

HCG

I travel to the broads from Green's Basin all the time. Going through the Barber Pole to get to the broads is faster. Depending on where you want to go though- The Hole In The Wall way be the fastest way.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (03-15-2011), hancoveguy (03-15-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
jonfinn

I often rent a cabin on that side of the lake too. Right across the water from Ambrose Cove on Moultonboro Neck.

I agree with what's been said. Learn the markers and you'll be fine.

I can get from that area over to Meredith Bay in about 30 minutes if I rush. Most of the time it took me over two hours because I didn't wanna rush. I do that all year long so when I get to Winnie, it's all about taking the scenic route.

Generally, If I'm heading to Meredith or Laconia, I'll go under the Long Island Bridge, over to Big Bear, Past Gov, Island. If I'm going over to Wolfeboro, Winter Harbor or Alton Bay, I'll go out to the end of Long Island, then navigate from there.

Having said all that, there's plenty to explore on the quite side of the lake. Take a sunset cruise down to Lee's Mills, and you'll see what I mean.

Suggestions: Get a paper copy of the Bizer Map of the lake. Also, if you've got a Garmin GPS, some of the lower-end auto models have pretty good maps of Winnipesaukee available as download for free. Pretty cool.

Good luck and I'm positive you'll have a great time!
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Knowing the Northern end of the lake well, there are all types of route to take to get to the various parts of the lake.

If your going to Wolfeboro / Alton area, no doubt about it, out through the Barbers pole.

If your going to Meredith / Gifford area, I suggest going through the Hole in the Wall, and out between Sandy and Long Island.

If Center Harbor is on tap, I suggest learning to navigate down and around Pistol, coming between backside Dow Island, and Moultonboro Neck, out past the Triangle, and Under the Bridge to LI.....

The time it takes to make these runs depends on weather you troll along or hop up on plane...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Depending on where you want to go though- The Hole In The Wall way be the fastest way.
If your not going the Barber Pole route It would be faster going north of Little Bear between Long Island than through the HITW because of its NWZ.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
If your not going the Barber Pole route It would be faster going north of Little Bear between Long Island than through the HITW because of its NWZ.
Although this is true, I have found over the years that the time added is minimal to slow down and go through the Hole in the Wall. However if you are already up on plane it is easier, to just go around.... All depends on what the purpose of the cruise is.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

You can see from this video that the trip through the HITW NWZ takes 2-3 minutes. I would guess that the trip around would take at least that amount of time.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
You can see from this video that the trip through the HITW NWZ takes 2-3 minutes. I would guess that the trip around would take at least that amount of time.
And not only that, it is a great ride. Lots to see when you go through there.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #15
jcbach

Default Ambrose Cove Water Quality

Does anyone know the water quality and water depth in Ambrose Cove. Is it tea colored and or weedy?
jcbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
ursa minor

Default Water Quality

JC Bach,

My experience is that the water begins to darken around Black Island as you head up into Moultonborough Bay. It gets darker as you head up towards Lees Mills and Greens Basin. It's not a water cleanliness issue, it's more from the peat in the wetlands areas at that end of the lake and the separation from the rest of the open lake. The upside is the somewhat darker color means the water gets a little warmer...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

I beg to differ. I've personally beat friends many times as they've entered the hole in the wall and I've gone around. Difference is minimal, but going around will surely get you there quicker, boat or jet ski. My thing, if you're on the lake, why rush unless you just want to prove you can beat your friends