Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2023, 01:39 PM   #1
DBreskin

Default OMC Cobra repair recommendation needed

I’m looking for a Lakes Region boat mechanic who has availability to adjust the shift mechanism in my 1992 Four Winns Horizon 200 with 5.8L Cobra outdrive. The places I’ve called so far aren’t taking new business. Can anyone in this forum provide me with a recommendation?

The boat is running but is difficult to shift, especially trying to shift from reverse to neutral. I expect proper adjustment of the transom shift cable is needed but I don’t have the special tools, nor apparently the skills.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:30 PM   #2
NHskier

Check with Nick Thurston.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:06 PM   #3
8gv

Waaaaay back in the day I had an OMC Cobra drive attached to a small block V8 in my Bayliner.

I recall having a shifting issue that was related to the shift interrupter switch(es).

My understanding is that the gears did not enjoy banging so the micro switches would interrupt the ignition and thus stumble the engine momentarily.

Mine was cured with a new switch or two.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 05:50 AM   #4
Loventhelake

Try Parker marine in Alton Bay, if they can get you in, there are some very talented old-school mechanics that will take care of you.
Loventhelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:34 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Waaaaay back in the day I had an OMC Cobra drive attached to a small block V8 in my Bayliner.

I recall having a shifting issue that was related to the shift interrupter switch(es).

My understanding is that the gears did not enjoy banging so the micro switches would interrupt the ignition and thus stumble the engine momentarily.

Mine was cured with a new switch or two.
Shift interrupt switch could be the issue, and certainly worth a test (just activate the switch manually and see if the engine stops), but there are some adjustments that could also be off. The switch is triggered by tension or compression on the shift cable when the drive won't go into or come out of gear. If it's out of adjustment, there's not enough movement in the W cam that activates the switch and it fails to trigger. This video has a lot of inaccurate information, but it does show basically how the system works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGSfsGHEao

I am 90% sure that full adjustment or testing of the shift interrupt (or ESA) system must be done in the water and with the engine running and the propeller installed. The shift dogs on the gears in these drives are back cut and require a load on them to make them mechanically "want" to stay in gear. If the boat is out of the water or there's no prop, it's impossible to load the gears.

Basically, the cable from the shifter (upper shift cable) only loads the spring in the shift mechanism which then transfers that load to the lower lower shift cable. As the spring flexes, it moves a cam that activates the shift interrupt switch and the engine's ignition system is grounded which stops the spark plugs from firing, thus making the engine rapidly slow down. When this happens, the load on the shift dogs in the drive disappears and the dog clutch immediately shifts in whatever direction it is being being pushed from the built up spring tension. When that happens, the cam on the shift interrupt switch returns to normal and the engine's ignition system is no longer grounded so the spark plugs start firing again. When it's working correctly, this all happens in milliseconds so you don't even notice the brief hiccup in the engine.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2023, 05:49 AM   #6
SAB1

Good luck. Try finding a small shop away from the lake. I’ve got a 1997 Volvo and some places just plain won’t on it as it’s “to old” I’ve been told. They plenty of work on newer boats.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:27 PM   #7
Donzi Minx

Smile OMC repair

I have had two of these stretched cables replaced on my Mercruiser. Dave's Motorboat Shoppe may be able to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair.... he's the best!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:00 AM   #8
DBreskin

Default OMC Cobra repair recommendation needed

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

I’m familiar with the theory of OMC’s ESA system and have confirmed the electronics are working as intended. The problem is with the mechanical adjustment and apparently exceeds my ability to adjust properly.

I’ve called all the places suggested above. Those that are qualified told me they’re not taking new customers.

The mechanic at my small marina is giving it a try. He says he knows how to do it; by this weekend I expect to find out if he does.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-27-2023)