Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
sportsmaniac38

Default What happened to oldies 104.9

Went out on the boat with my father this weekend and we noticed 104.9 isn't oldies anymore. More of a classic rock station.

What happened to the oldies station? They were always in touch with what was going on around the lakes region. Did it move to another station?

Oldies 104.9 was the station we always listened to on the lake. I even got to like some of those old songs.

Looks like we might have to do a sirius satelite radio subscription for 3 months.

Thanks for the help.
sportsmaniac38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Aquadeziac

Default a tale of two stations

Late last year Nassua Broadcasting basically took Oldies 99.1 and Oldies 104.9 and The Hawk Classic Rock 101.5 and 102.3 and combined them to make FRANK FM which was to be a Oldies/Classic Rock format simulcast on 99.1 and 104.9, freeing up 101.5 and 102.3 for a fresh Sports Talk only format station. The FRANK FM deal came off but about mid December the Sports Talk deal fell through and Nassau was left with overlapping formats on 4 different stations.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Argie's Wife

Before you do the radio subscription thing, check this out:

www.pandora.com

This is a free radio station that you set up to play the types of songs you want to hear. For example, you can go into the profile for your station and say you like "The Beach Boys", "Simon & Garfunkle" and "Jan & Dean". Then the station plays songs from those artists and songs with similar qualities based on what you like. You rate the songs (like or dislike) and the station will make it's selection based on your input.

Also, you can set up more than one station - I've got stations called "Los Lonely Boys" (Tex-Mex guitar/blues), "School House Rock" (for my oldest son), "Dan Zanes" (folk) (for the youngest son) - you get the idea.

And did I mention it was free?

It's really a neat way to listen to music - you might dig up some old songs you hadn't heard in a while and maybe find some new stuff to dig.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Before you do the radio subscription thing, check this out:

www.pandora.com

This is a free radio station that you set up to play the types of songs you want to hear.

And did I mention it was free?
How free will it be...

Quote:
Went out on the boat with my father this weekend and we noticed 104.9 isn't oldies anymore. More of a classic rock station.

What happened to the oldies station? They were always in touch with what was going on around the lakes region. Did it move to another station?

Oldies 104.9 was the station we always listened to on the lake.

Looks like we might have to do a sirius satelite radio subscription for 3 months.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
kjbathe

But how to get Pandora to the boat...

How do folks do their Sirius subscriptions for the boat? Do you just create a second account that you pause and resume each season, or do they offer other ways/deals to do it?
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
But how to get Pandora to the boat...

How do folks do their Sirius subscriptions for the boat? Do you just create a second account that you pause and resume each season, or do they offer other ways/deals to do it?
I just did that this weekend for my new boat...Basically for a second Sirius radio it's $6.99 per month. Simply call their 800 number and have your sirius radio I.D. number ready. I think you have to sign up for two years (which I did) When the seasons over, you simply call Sirius and have them put your secondary radio on hold until the following season. So basically you pay for it all up front but your good for 24 months of use, or approximately 4 seasons on the water. Really not a bad deal.

I think there is also a one time $15.00 connection charge.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
kjbathe

I do love having Sirius on the boat -- endless, good, commercial free music.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I prefer XM
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

GWC... darlin'.... you know, technology has come a long, long ways since dialup...

but seriously... if you're already paying for a SmartPhone (data subscript through Verizon or AT&T or whatever) and can work it through your Bluetooth speakers, then why not? I'd rather put my money into a set of speakers ($29 at BJ's Wholesale) than $12.95+6.99/MONTH! into a satellite radio. I have a V-Cast (Verizon) phone and found the subscript for data is about the same as my Metrocast internet cable subscript - once the cell signal gets better in the area, then I plan to switch over so I can go on-line whenever.

Another choice is loading up the ol' iPod, getting an FM Transmitter (look in CD accessories - what fit in your Sony DiscMan as an FM Tansmitter will work for your iPod) and for $15 you can transmit what's on your iPod to ANY radio within about 30'.

It's all good....
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
cee65

For good - really good - oldies try www.kzqx.com via internet & there is some fashion you can get it on your own radio - they can tell you how - - it comes from the big city of Chalk Hill, TX and I can promise you - - it is a winner.
cee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Dowislandman

Default dowislandman is bumming out with no more oldies

This island weekend warrior loved his oldies on 104.9 and even got used to here the same songs over and over; the music moved him and put him in a relaxing mode, away from reality type of atmosphere! Groovy man! So I get up there this past weekend and Iam the type that the first thing I touch is the tunes for 104.9! I find out the hard way through this chat after the fact it is all gone; and basically Frank FM on 104.9 is classic rock. I can listen to that same old rock stuff back in my reality man! Nothing like good oldies! Any othe FM stations out there on the lake's FM dial? Any Elvis. Aretha, Frankie Vallie or the Righteous Brothers!
Dowislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
Argie's Wife

WMEX @ 106.5 FM is pretty good. They get into some obscure stuff every now and then but season it well with standard oldies fare. Their commercials are a little obnoxious sometimes but that's "free" radio...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Airwaves

Default Ladies and Gentlemen,

Boys and Girls;

Here is the problem with WiFi, Satellite and internet Radio.

It does not give you any local information!

You're out on your boat, grooving to XM, Sirious (Same company BTW) and a thunderstorm squall moves in...are you going to hear about it on your satelite radio? Nope. What about if you switch to those "local" radio stations? Do they have local information? For the most part, no,

Unfortunately in these days of "corporate media" the local stations broadcast syndicated shows and next to zero local information.

You need to rely on your Marine VHF/WX Band while you are on the lake, if you are listening to your tunes and thinking that if something happens the radio station will let you know, then you are pissing in the wnd!

Personally I like WMWV, Music without boundries. It's live and local although it's a little north of the lake!

Yes, I do this for a living!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Boys and Girls;
XM, Sirious (Same company BTW)
Actually, they're not the same company. There is a proposed merger in the works, but it hasn't happened yet.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Rag Top Daze

Default WMEX Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
WMEX @ 106.5 FM is pretty good. They get into some obscure stuff every now and then but season it well with standard oldies fare. Their commercials are a little obnoxious sometimes but that's "free" radio...
I LOVE WMEX, but unfortunately, they're on their way out. Saturday night is their last blast from what I hear. Too bad. They're taking away all the good oldies stations. Frank FM is a joke as an oldies station. On my drive to work in the morning I listen to it just long enough to get the weather. I feel like someone is shouting at me the whole time it's on. As soon as the weather is over, I switch to WMEX. Guess the iPod will be what I switch to after the weather next week.

BTW I'm still looking for someone to share the commute from Moultonborough to Laconia if you know of anyone interested. Gas is still going up.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #16
N1ZZN

You can thank Nassau Broadcasting for the demise of Oldies on 104.9 FM. They bought up a huge number of the radio stations in the area, and have reduced the staff of each station to a skeleton of what it used to be. Even the afternoon host on WLNH is prerecorded from a station in Boston.

All of their programming decisions are made in Trenton, NJ. They probably have 6 or 7 Frank FMs at this point, and which each one claims "Customized for (insert location here)," they all sound exactly the same.

Oldies can now be found on the AM dial in the Lakes Region, on 1350 WEZS. Most of the day, their programming comes off of a satellite though.
N1ZZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #17
Old Hubbard Rd

Default 104.9

I and all my company love the new 104.9. They are playing some awesome music!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
EricP

It's a lot of fun playing "who sings this?".
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
mets3007

Even WLNH has changed over the last few years since Nassau bought the station. Now they play more of a lite fm kinda music and less of the pop/rock they used to play. It used to be number one on my radio when I am up there now 94.1 fm is number 1. I also listen to Frank FM and the Country station and WPNH which is a rock station while I am up there.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
Taz

Airwaves, you do not need local information for weather. All you need is your blackberry and you dial up doppler. Its fantastic. I have avoided numerous thunderstorms and bad weather. I have also extended my boating day many times also.

You can also use the weather band on your VHF radio.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote