Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Restaurants with Gluten Free menu options

So last year my wife was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and now must eat strictly gluten and wheat free. It has take some time be we have adjusted our home dinning menu, and now the some meals the entire household eats gluten and wheat free.

So with the home front taken care of we are now venturing out and finding restaurants with Gluten Free/ Wheat Free menu options. We have had some success down here in Massachusetts. And I know that the woodshed in Moultonborough has gluten free items. But I am wondering what other options we may have in the Lakes region...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
nicole

I believe Kitchen Cravings in Gilford has some offerings on their menu that are Gluten Free. I recall seeing something on their menu when I was last there. I think it was mostly breakfast fare-waffles, pancakes, etc.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
Suzy Gabert (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Just Sold

Yes, Kitchen Cravings does have Gluten Free items on the menu. http://www.kitchencravingsnh.com/wp-...enu_bklt-2.pdf

You should check with Rattlesnake Gal....she knows where all the good Gluten Free restaurants are in the Lakes Region.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
belly_button_biter

This web site has a map with several restaurants around the lake. It also features reviews from fellow GF seekers. http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
suem1011

Default Kevin's Cafe

If you let Kevin know you need Gluten/Wheat free, he can accommodate you as well.
suem1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
BrownstoneNorth

Default Gluten-free

Both The Restaurant and Garwood's in Wolfeboro are good about accommodating gluten-free customers. But as with Kevin's, always best to call a bit in advance.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
baygo

LIforrelaxin, be very careful when looking for for gluten free options for your wife. The diagnosis of Celiac Disease means that your wife is likely very sensitive to gluten. Some people simply avoid gluten for dietary reasons not allergies. You may want to inquire with the restaurant as to wether or not their space is committed solely to the preparation of gluten free food. People with extreme sensitivities have been known to still have unpleasant reactions consequent of cross contamination. Unfortunately a gluten free pizza crust can collect gluten from the air in the prep area or fried food can get cross contaminated in the oil. The aforementioned glutenfreeregistry.com is a great resource. Good Luck
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
angela4design

Thumbs up Patrick's Pub and Eatery

Patrick's Pub has an entire gluten-free menu, just ask the server for it. Last I knew, two of their chefs had gluten sensitivities, so they developed the new menu!

I love Patrick's... not just for their food and service, but for all they do for the community. I'll totally support that!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (08-04-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
LIforrelaxin, be very careful when looking for for gluten free options for your wife. The diagnosis of Celiac Disease means that your wife is likely very sensitive to gluten. Some people simply avoid gluten for dietary reasons not allergies. You may want to inquire with the restaurant as to wether or not their space is committed solely to the preparation of gluten free food. People with extreme sensitivities have been known to still have unpleasant reactions consequent of cross contamination. Unfortunately a gluten free pizza crust can collect gluten from the air in the prep area or fried food can get cross contaminated in the oil. The aforementioned glutenfreeregistry.com is a great resource. Good Luck
Baygo, yes indeed cross contamination is always a big concern. And something we pay great attention too... I am glad you noted this for others to see.

What I will note is that there are wheat/gluten allergies, which in some cases allow people to eat in restaurants and not be so hypersensitive, and thus not have a problem with cross contamination. The other part that denotes an allergy is that people have some sort of re-action, hives, swelling of the throat, etc... which can come in varying degree dependent on how severe the reaction is, and the quantity of the allergen they came in contact with....

A person with Celiac on the other hand, as what the medical field calls an intolerance to wheat/Gluten. The body treats the wheat/gluten as an infection, and attacks the gluten/wheat partical, causing a variety of reactions, including vomiting. Swelling of the intestinal track to the point, that your body stops absorbing nutrients from you food, etc. For someone with Celiac Desiese it doesn't matter how small the quantity of the wheat/gluten the body re-acts in the same violent way.

For my wife this means even the little bit of toast crumbs that fall off a piece of toast as it passes over her plate when I pass it to one of the kids, sends her off, to the land of upset stomach, and abdominal pain.
wishiwasthere (07-11-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
WaterBoyzGal

Have a close friend with Celiac's who spends lots of time with us in Lakes Region in the summer. You can find a GF menu at Fratello's
http://www.fratellos.com/gluten-free-menu/
Also, if you happen to be in Tilton area, Unos and 99 have GF menus.
In Meredith, I am pretty sure that Guisseppe's serves some GF, as I recall one of our dinners there they even had a GF chocolate dessert special.
Agree with Patrick's recommendation - 2 thumbs up for GF offerings!
WaterBoyzGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
WaterBoyzGal

I know you asked for restaurants, but thought you'd also like to know that Wine-ing Butcher in Gilford (and Meredith) sell lots of marinated meats that are GF free. I usually go to the Gilford location and find the staff very helpful in suggesting the GF options. Not as convenient as going to restaurant, but still a real treat, everything we've tried is tender and delicious.
WaterBoyzGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaterBoyzGal For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
donnamatrix

Default Gluten free meat?

Umm... gluten is a protein found in wheat and products derived from wheat (bread, pasta, etc.) I would hope that all the marinated meat that you buy from anyone would be gluten free. It is meat-not wheat
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Winnigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Umm... gluten is a protein found in wheat and products derived from wheat (bread, pasta, etc.) I would hope that all the marinated meat that you buy from anyone would be gluten free. It is meat-not wheat
She said marinated meats. Some marinades contain soy sauce which has gluten.
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winnigirl For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-02-2012), WaterBoyzGal (03-16-2012), Winni P (03-25-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
beagle

Default It is not exclusively wheat either

Gluten is also present in rye, oats, barley, beer and other food additives. I just recently discovered that it can also be present in caramel coloring found in cola drinks. If you are interested you can check this out: http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1...nts/Page1.html
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beagle For This Useful Post:
WaterBoyzGal (03-16-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Just Wonderin

Default Tavern 27

Tavern 27 is a great tapas place and has gluten free options...
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
dpg

So what is Gluten anyway?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
beagle

Default gluten is a protein found in some grains

It gives the elasticity or stretch to dough. Since it is a protein, you can form an allergy to it just like you would to peanuts; sometimes a person's body reacts to gluten as if it is a foreign invader and responds to it like it would to a bacterial infection. It is tough to find a replacement for it in all kinds of baked goods especially bread. Also, wheat derived additives are put into many types of food that you wouldn't think have wheat in them. That's why most people find it hard to go gluten free.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
Sandy Island fan

Default gluten-free for vegetarians

How about places that have options for a vegetarian that is gluten free? My daughter usually makes do with salad - no croutons - but I'd love to find other options for her in a place that the rest of the family can also be happy.
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
lawn psycho

For those who may not be aware, there are many people who have wheat allergies (gluten allergy) with the most severe cases being those with Celiac Disease.

As someone with a severe wheat allergy and eating gluten can and has put me in the hospital.

A gluten free diet does tend to me much more of a bland diet but luckily many restaurants offer gluten free foods. Even Olive Garden has a gluten free menu.....

It's more common than people think but some only have mild symptoms. If you have acid reflux, dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), or chronic cough ask your doctor to get an allergy panel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_sensitivity
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Another Lakes Region GF Option

Yankee Smokehouse
Junction of Route 16 & Route 25
West Ossipee, NH
603-539-7427

Please note that I have not yet tried this restaurant, but came across it while browsing Udi's Gluten Free Foods restaurant finder.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
Ms Ooh La La

Default Gluten Free Options

Crepes Ooh La La in Wolfeboro offers gluten free crepes.
Ms Ooh La La is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Ooh La La For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (04-26-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #22
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow George's in Meredith

Offers gluten free bread and waffles. Unfortunately the waffle iron and toaster is not dedicated for only gluten free items, so it my be risky for some.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Rattlesnake Gal

Question Crepes Oooh La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ooh La La View Post
Crepes Ooh La La in Wolfeboro offers gluten free crepes.
Are the crepes made on a gluten free dedicated device or is it cleaned well before cooking the gluten free crepes?

Another problem that keeps me from partaking in ice cream other than soft serve these days is contamination from one flavor to another... Nuts.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
Ms Ooh La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Are the crepes made on a gluten free dedicated device or is it cleaned well before cooking the gluten free crepes?

Another problem that keeps me from partaking in ice cream other than soft serve these days is contamination from one flavor to another... Nuts.
Our griddles are heated and kept to a constant 440 degrees F. Any gluten residue is burned off. We use a different T trowel to spread the gluten free crepes. I specialized as an allergy nurse for 9 years and take food allergy and intolerance very seriously. My staff is properly trained and informed as to this important issue. We look forward to serving you a delicious gluten free crepe and we are equally careful about our serving ice cream to those who have nut allergies.
Ms Ooh La La is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Ooh La La For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Buffe87

Default Gluten free options

If you are here in the lakes region and will be staying for more than the weekend you can venture up to Plymouth Tenney Mountain Highway just past Walmart on the left is a Gluten Free bakery strictly Gluten Free she makes nothing else, her stuff is amazing right down to her homemade lasagna. It is called Berry Delicious Bakery.....there website is:berrydeliciousbakery.com my daughter is also Gluten and we have found many restaurants do have things. The Plymouth College Town pizza has gluten free pizza that is very good, the Italian Farmhouse in Plymouth also good Gluten Free Menu, Kara's bakery in down town Meredith used to be Village Perk..she has a few gluten free Items...Hope this helps!! The new hannaford in Gilford also has one of the largest selections of Gluten free items I have found around here.
Buffe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buffe87 For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-28-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
patman

I noticed that Wolfgang's pizza in Wolfeboro has a sign up saying they offer gluten-free options. http://www.wolfgangspizza.com/
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ooh La La View Post
Our griddles are heated and kept to a constant 440 degrees F. Any gluten residue is burned off. We use a different T trowel to spread the gluten free crepes. I specialized as an allergy nurse for 9 years and take food allergy and intolerance very seriously. My staff is properly trained and informed as to this important issue. We look forward to serving you a delicious gluten free crepe and we are equally careful about our serving ice cream to those who have nut allergies.
With My wife I have learned that the idea of burning off gluten residue doesn't always work. This has caused us grief a few times in our own home, as well as restaurants. A burned piece of batter, is just as dangerous. Things like griddles etc. always need to be cleaned and wipe down to remove any and all crumbs.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Kara's Cafe and Cakery

Default Kara's Cafe now offering gluten free

Kara's Cafe just started offering cookies, muffins and gluten free bread for sandwiches. We are open for breakfast and lunch seven days a week! Special order gluten free celebration cakes are also available.

Warm Regards,

Kara
Kara's Cafe and Cakery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kara's Cafe and Cakery For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
Rattlesnake Gal

Default GF Dining

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340285958.666477.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  53.4 KB

Yippee!!!! I can do gluten free at Pop's Clam Shell!

This was my second time ordering a side of scallops. (Didn't take picture the first time, so I'd have to go back! )

Both times the scallops were absolutely delectable!!!!! They were seasoned up with some garlic and I think pepper. Super juicy tender and juicy. I did not miss my old favorites at all.

The scallops come only in sides of medium and possibly large. This is the medium. As at most restaurants, they are priced daily. This was around the $16 range and there was plenty enough to save or share, but I didn't. I did arrive very hungry though. A picnic on the boat made for a perfect meal.

One thing that I will do different next time, is to bring a coated paper plate to avoid losing precious juices and subsequent mess.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
Rattlesnake Gal

Question Just Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
With My wife I have learned that the idea of burning off gluten residue doesn't always work. This has caused us grief a few times in our own home, as well as restaurants. A burned piece of batter, is just as dangerous. Things like griddles etc. always need to be cleaned and wipe down to remove any and all crumbs.
I am a bit new to gluten free. Not exactly sure if I have Celiac's Disease or if I am allergic to wheat and barley. Either way, it is mostly the same result and restrictions.

Can a person with Celiac's eat french fries that were cooked with other foods that contained gluten? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
yourcommonnewenglander

Talking

Wolfe's Tavern in Wolfeboro has a lot of gluten free menu options. Many of their regular menu items can be modified and prepared gluten free, including pizza!
yourcommonnewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourcommonnewenglander For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (07-03-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
Jimmy G

Default gluten free

just though i'd let you know griddle in the middle pancake house makes a custom gluten free pancake mix
thanks
Jimmy G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy G For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (07-15-2012)